How to learn what combination of roles work best?

I still find it very difficult trying to figure out how best to use the players i have when taking over a club. Simply putting players in their natural positions and giving them their natural role and duty easy enough but I am aware that that doesn't always lead to a system that works well.

I started a new save as Galatasaray and i'm unsure of how best to use my 3 most attacking players.

anB7X2G.jpg

4-4-2 diamond seemed like a natural fit for my squad although my left flank is very week (we dont seem to have a LB at all and Riera is fairly average). My idea is that Melo has a DLPd aims to screen the defence and initiate attacks but feeding the ball to Sneijder or to wide player who then aim supply Drogba and Yilmaz. Yilmaz seems like a natural poacher and Drogba seems like a Complete forward except that he has poor passing (9) and creativity (11). As he's good in the air and a good finisher i figured TMa would be a good role. I've gone for DW on the flanks simply because i've never really used them DW's before, Rashidi seems to think they're underrated and Riera and Altintop seem to fit nicely.

My main concern is whether or not my setup for Yilmaz, Drogba and Sneijder can work together and whether or not my plain outlined above can work as a whole. I'd like to use this thread to help understand what role combinations work together and which ones clash and can lead to a breakdown of the system.

Thanks

Alternatively you could play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

4-3-3:

ST: Drogba (target man attack)

AMR: Yilmaz (Inside forward attack)

AML: Riera (winger support)

MCR: Sneijder (advanced playmaker attack)

MCL: Altintop (central midfielder automatic/support)

DMC: Melo (defensive midfielder defend)

DR: Eboué (wing back attack)

DL: New signing (full back support)

DC: Ujfalusi (central defender defend)

DC: Nounkeu (central defender defend)

4-2-3-1:

ST: Drogba (target man attack)

AMR: Yilmaz (Inside forward suport/attack)

AML: Riera (winger support)

AMC: Sneijder (advanced playmaker attack)

MCR: Melo (BWM defend)

MCL: Atlintop (Central midfielder defend)

DR: Eboué (Wing back attack)

DL: New signing (full back support)

DC: Ujfalusi (central defender defend)

DC: Nounkeu (central defender defend)

I'd personally go with the 4-3-3 :)

I've been playing with Galatasaray on a save from before the update, so I don't have Sneijder or Drogba, but I feel like the tactic will still be fine.

I use a flat 4-4-2, but here's what I'd do if you want to continue with the diamond.

Change Drogba to Target Man/Support - I don't like Target Men on attack ever really, as I find they are most effective playing flick-on's and holding up the ball for the Poacher. He will still get on the end of crosses and such on Support so no worries there.

Sneijder has poor physical stats, so maybe Trequartista for him, though I'm not fond of that role in general. Advanced Playmaker could work fine too. I use an Advanced Playmaker/Attack in my flat midfield, works great.

Change Riera to Winger or Wide Midfielder, and Altintop to Defensive Winger/Support - Defensive Wingers work great but I generally only use one in a formation. The Defensive Winger/Support and Wingback/Attack combo on the right is very effective for overlaps, then I'd stick to a more defensive Left Back (Balta - Full Back/Support), and allow Riera more freedom.

Finally, I'd swap the two forwards - this will allow Drogba to flick passes out to Riera on the left, instead of being more isolated by Altintop on the right, and Altintop can whip early crosses in to the back post.

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Archived