FAO wwfan

I just wondered if you could put me straight on a few things if possible?

I have read some of your posts about keeping it simple and team balance and how quickly and easily you put together a successful tactic, i did the same, well at least i thought i had, but for some unknown reason everything is going wrong?

Up until now i could agree with everything you said, but things are happening in my game that are just inexplicable.

The story so far

I started a save as West Ham, using the basic in game 4-2-3-1-deep, with a couple of very minor tweaks(long shots and gk distribution) changing strategy based on my opponents tactic/set up, being home or away and match odds etc and shutting up shop to close games out as well as going gung ho to try to grab a late equaliser and such.

I ended up finishing 5th(Ex 12th) had one of the best defensive records and my gk kept the most clean sheets :eek:

I only got a £5M transfer kitty despite qualifying for Europe, but managed to bring in some great signings(especially full backs) dramatically improved my defence(including gk) and most other areas of my squad and was looking forward to the new season.

And that's where it has all gone inexplicably wrong? despite sticking largely to my tried and tested first season tactical set-up(Media Prediction 9th, last season 12th) i now somehow have one of the worst defensive records in the league, despite my players being monumentally better than last season(and fully trained up in team cohesion pre season) and i'm now conceding all kinds of weird and wonderful goals in the match highlights?

My last match

Home to Wigan and we are dominating all aspects of play and lead 1-0 at half time. Wigan come out with the same defensive formation so i stick with standard strategy for now(if leading by 2 goals i change to counter which works a treat and i usually end up nicking another goal or two) first chance of the 2nd half goes to Wigan, they have only two players forward in the attack and i have six defenders, their player from outside the area tries to slot a through ball into the striker, but my DC is goal side in a good position and the ball heads straight towards him, inexplicably he lets it go past him and the striker has an easy chance. The position my defender was in he could see both the player he was marking and the ball coming towards him?

The match before last

Away to Southampton and after an end to end first half i take a 1-0 lead into the break. Southampton are having a lot of pot shots from distance and not worrying our goal. Then another highlight comes up and the Southampton winger has the ball literally on the touchline 30 yards out and crosses/shoots straight at my GK who lets it in straight through him(it was classed as a "freak goal")?

I was 3-1 at the break against Chelsea having conceded 3 penalties

I've conceded 4 "freak goals" in 13 games this 2nd season

I've conceded 3 direct free kicks, all from players with less than 10 for free kick taking

I've given away 7 penalties in 13 games this 2nd season

I'm struggling away in 14th place despite my squad being unrecognisably better and Edit was playing Arsenal in the background whilst posting, was deservedly winning 3-0 at half time having completely outplayed them, switched to counter and then shut up shop with five minutes left(after which i've only ever conceded once in a season and a bit) and they score two ridiculous goals in the 88th and 93rd minute to somehow nick the draw???

I would really appreciate some advice if you would? is it tactical? bad luck? second season syndrome? any little hints or tips to somehow put it right because i'm ready to quit?

I'd suggest that it is a combo of bad luck and player motivation, with perhaps a tad of player gelling thrown in. With greater expectations comes greater pressure. If your replacement players are all young, you will suffer from random mistakes and drops in concentration, especially if matches are tight and players nervous If many are foreign, then squad gelling will also be an issue which can also knock onto mistakes.

My advice would be to use the media and team talks to take the pressure off the team and try to grind out few results. Once morale is up, you should go on a decent run if your tactics are solid.

I'd suggest that it is a combo of bad luck and player motivation, with perhaps a tad of player gelling thrown in. With greater expectations comes greater pressure. If your replacement players are all young, you will suffer from random mistakes and drops in concentration, especially if matches are tight and players nervous If many are foreign, then squad gelling will also be an issue which can also knock onto mistakes.

My advice would be to use the media and team talks to take the pressure off the team and try to grind out few results. Once morale is up, you should go on a decent run if your tactics are solid.

The team had gelled by the time the full season started and i'm only expected to finish 3 places higher, so i'd about ruled out those as possible causes.

In FM12 i always found the better your defenders the less goals you conceded, so far i've conceded twice as many goals as last season(up to this point) with an immeasurably better defence quality wise.

Thank you for your input, i don't suppose you have a couple of pearls of wisdom you could share that might help? :o

Edit i'm also seeing games in which i have 70% possession and 24%(me) v 4%(AI) in the final third and still out shot? I could understand if teams were lumping it forward to a big man and he was winning all his headers and getting shots off, but every single team plays one touch football, so again, i don't see the possible cause???

The team had gelled by the time the full season started and i'm only expected to finish 3 places higher, so i'd about ruled out those as possible causes.

In FM12 i always found the better your defenders the less goals you conceded, so far i've conceded twice as many goals as last season(up to this point) with an immeasurably better defence quality wise.

Thank you for your input, i don't suppose you have a couple of pearls of wisdom you could share that might help? :o

Edit i'm also seeing games in which i have 70% possession and 24%(me) v 4%(AI) in the final third and still out shot? I could understand if teams were lumping it forward to a big man and he was winning all his headers and getting shots off, but every single team plays one touch football, so again, i don't see the possible cause???

Your tactics had gelled. Your team? Takes a while for foreigners to properly integrate.

Do you get many players feeling nervous during matches?

Your tactics had gelled. Your team? Takes a while for foreigners to properly integrate.

Do you get many players feeling nervous during matches?

Yes sometimes, but a lot less than last season.

Thanks anyway, just lost to the bottom side who had 10 men for most of the game. :(

Might just try a d/loaded one tactic approach, trying to play the game properly is just too frustrating.

Archived