Beating Top Sides, Losing To Bottom Sides? - Help Please

Didn't know where to put this, so please move as appropriate.

I find i'm largely outplaying the top sides, yet struggling and often losing to poor sides or teams near the bottom of the table?

Example

Deserved draw away to Everton

Deserved win away to Chelsea

Massively outplayed and lost away to struggling Championship side Derby in the FA Cup 3rd round

Deserved win at home to Newcastle

This has largely been the tale of my first season.

Its not like i'm just setting up with the exact same tactic every match either, i play more defensively against the bigger sides and/or away from home and more attacking against poorer sides and at home, PLUS, i've tried mixing it up against the poorer sides but to no avail?

It seems like its not just me either, the better AI teams often seem to be having the same trouble, i'm wondering if its a balance thing in the game? and/or is it a known issue?

I was enjoying the game, but this is rather noticeable and has me worried that a long term save is worthwhile?

Was wondering if it might actually be tactical? but if so, it seems the AI is struggling with it also?

I find if you play a couple of hungry younger or rotation players against weaker teams you tend to do better, the stronger players SOMETIMES lack the hunger against weaker teams.

I tried this out once, played my best team against an unknown team a few times and generally won by 2 or 3 goals, played a team of moslty rotation players and I generally won 5-0 or more!

The better players tended to just relax a little and not really play at their best.

I experienced quite a bit of randomness early on and the thing which made most difference for me was putting a lot of effort into getting my team as familiar as possible with my tactics as quickly as possible. I only did a couple of weeks pre-season on fitness then moved over to working on two tactics as intensively as possible and waited until those were 'accomplished' across the board before introducing my third tactic.

I'm sure other people will have other valid suggestions for making your team play consistently but for me the key to consistency was concentrating very heavily on getting the team familiar with the tactics.

I find if you play a couple of hungry younger or rotation players against weaker teams you tend to do better, the stronger players SOMETIMES lack the hunger against weaker teams.

I tried this out once, played my best team against an unknown team a few times and generally won by 2 or 3 goals, played a team of moslty rotation players and I generally won 5-0 or more!

The better players tended to just relax a little and not really play at their best.

I've done this a couple of times, in the league cup especially(enforced more than by choice) but i've yet to outplay a lower league side, i even tried "overload" thinking that the weaker side would be playing ultra defensive, but the games were frustratingly even and/or i was getting outplayed?

I experienced quite a bit of randomness early on and the thing which made most difference for me was putting a lot of effort into getting my team as familiar as possible with my tactics as quickly as possible. I only did a couple of weeks pre-season on fitness then moved over to working on two tactics as intensively as possible and waited until those were 'accomplished' across the board before introducing my third tactic.

I'm sure other people will have other valid suggestions for making your team play consistently but for me the key to consistency was concentrating very heavily on getting the team familiar with the tactics.

Thats the first thing i did, as i did in FM12.

Don't get me wrong, its great beating the better sides, but it feels very wrong outplaying City and Utd etc home and away, whilst getting outplayed at home against the bottom side who had previously lost their last 8 games?

Its all very ass backwards to be honest.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help: where I was going wrong was not adjusting enough between match and general training to ensure that I got tactical familiarity up really quickly then switching to doing more general training [(Edit) and not giving any training focus until the tactic were there.] If you're sure you're using the new training set up to the best advantage I'm not sure where to go next.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help: where I was going wrong was not adjusting enough between match and general training to ensure that I got tactical familiarity up really quickly then switching to doing more general training [(Edit) and not giving any training focus until the tactic were there.] If you're sure you're using the new training set up to the best advantage I'm not sure where to go next.

Appreciate you trying to help

Thanks

Archived