The Ukraine Thread - Sheva's Swansong

The Ukraine Thread

200px-Logo_of_Football_Federation_of_Ukraine.svg.png

Ukraine - Info

Coach - Oleh Blokhin

Captain - Anatoliy Tymoschuk

Most Capped Player - Anatoliy Tymoschuk (116)

Most Goals - Andriy Shevchenko (46)

FIFA Ranking - 50 (Highest Ranking - 11)

Best EURO Performance - N/A, 1st appearance

How did they get here? - By virtue of being the co-hosts of this summer's Euro, they gained automatic qualification

23 Man Euro Squad

GOALKEEPERS

23 Oleksandr Horyainov, 29.06.75, Metalist Kharkiv (2 caps/0 goals)

1 Maksym Koval, 09.12.92, Dynamo Kiev (1/0)

12 Andriy Pyatov, 28.06.84, Shakhtar Donetsk (25/0)

DEFENDERS

21 Bohdan Butko, 13.01.91, Shakhtar Donetsk (9/0)

3 Yevhen Khacheridi, 28.07.87, Dynamo Kiev (10/0)

5 Oleksandr Kucher, 22.10.82, Shakhtar Donetsk (28/1)

17 Taras Mykhalyk, 28.10.83, Dynamo Kiev (27/0)

20 Yaroslav Rakytskyi, 03.08.89, Shakhtar Donetsk (16/3)

2 Yevhen Selin, 09.05.88, Vorskla Poltava (6/1)

13 Vyacheslav Shevchuk, 13.05.79, Shakhtar Donetsk (20/0)

MIDFIELDERS

8 Oleksandr Aliyev, 03.02.85, Dynamo Kiev (26/6)

6 Denys Harmash, 19.04.90, Dynamo Kiev (4/0)

9 Oleg Husyev, 25.04.83, Dynamo Kiev (71/12)

19 Yevhen Konoplyanka, 29.09.89, Dnipro (18/5)

18 Serhiy Nazarenko, 16.02.80, Tavriya Simferopol (49/12)

14 Ruslan Rotan, 29.10.81, Dnipro (57/6)

4 Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, 30.03.79, Bayern Munich (116/4)

FORWARDS

22 Marko Dević, 27.10.83, Shakhtar Donetsk (20/2)

15 Artem Milevskyi, 12.01.85, Dynamo Kiev (45/8)

16 Yevhen Seleznyov, 20.07.85, Shakhtar Donetsk (28/5)

7 Andriy Shevchenko, 29.09.76, Dynamo Kiev (107/46)

10 Andriy Voronin, 21.07.79, Dynamo Moscow (72/8)

11 Andriy Yarmolenko, 23.10.89, Dynamo Kiev (20/8)

Probable XI

Probably the least definitive XI to pick out of all the teams in the Euros. Blokhin has experemented between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 during the set of friendlies Ukraine played leading upto the Euros. They've had problems as they've lost 3 keepers in the build up to the competition (Rybka received a drugs ban, Shovkovskyi - who was probably going to start - fell to injury as did Spartak Moscow keeper Dikan) which has left them with Pyatov likely to be their starting keeper. They've also had injury woes with their defenders as Chygrynskyi hasn't made it in time for the Euros so the back 4 should consist of Selin at LB, Khacheridi and Mykhalyk (or Rakytskyi) as the CB pairing and Huysev at RB. Midfield will have Nazarenko and Tymoschuk as their CMs - with Tymo being the deeper of the two and playing a more holding role - and they'll have the two bright prospects on the flanks in Konoplyanka (on the left) and Yarmolenko (on the right). Seeing as Sheva beat the race against time to recover from his back problems, it'll most likely be Sheva and Voronin up front. Other posibilities include Rakyitskyi playing as a DM alongside Tymo in a deeper role that will mean the formation resembles more of a 4-2-2-2. Oleksandr Aliyev could also get the nod ahead of Nazarenko in the advanced CM role alongside Tymo with Dević and Milevsyki also alternatives for one of the two ST/CF spots.

abCLIDIaiW.jpg

EURO 2012 FIXTURES

Group D

11.06.12 Sweden (Kiev, Ukr) W 2-1 (Shevchenko x2)

15.06.12 France (Donetsk, Ukr)

19.06.12 England (Donetsk, Ukr)

How far can they go?

Host nations tend to fare well in these competitions and it is an end of an era for a few members of the squad that will definitely want to finish their international careers on a high. If that wasn't enough motivation, they'll have the whole country behind them and will be thriving on the home support. There were reported rifts in the squad between the Shakhtar and Dynamo players in the build up to the Euros and if they can put that aside, they may well sneak the 2nd spot in the Group ahead of Sweden and England and give their people a QF berth to cheer about in their maiden Euro.

Key Players/Ones to Watch

Andriy Yarmolenko - Touted as Ukraine's next big thing, with some even going the length of dubbing him the 'new Sheva'. Versatile as he can function in the striker's role by himself (or in a 4-4-2) or has the flexibility to play out wide on the flanks. Has a good international record for Ukraine (8 in 20 caps) and was one of their best players at the U21 Euros last season and is coming into the Euros on the back of a good domestic season with Dinamo Kiev. He'll be playing on the right as he is a very good dribbler of the ball, is fast, has good technique and an excellent left foot so will be looking to cut inside onto his favoured foot

Yevhen Konoplyanka - The other wide threat that Ukraine will possess. Is a different player to Yarmolenko as Konoplyanka is more of a traditional winger and will like to use his incredible pace, blistering acceleration, good agility and to make use of his dribbling ability. He's a more direct runner in the sense that he'll be looking to run in behind the full back and make himself a nuisance which creates good balance in the midfield. Another one of the 2011 U21 Euro class and, like Yarmolenko, will be able to show off his talents to a broader audience at the Euros.

Andriy Shevchenko - The man. The legend. Ukraine's favourite son and their all-time leading goalscorer and one of the best strikers to grace the pitch in the last 20 years. There were doubts if he'd make it to the Euros after having some back problems and there were worries if he'd not be able to make his swansong but he'll be fit and ready. Despite his age (35) he'll still be very influential to how Ukraine do at this Euros and will look to end on a high in his home country, in front of his people.

153528hp2.jpg

Not much international experience (judging by the number of games) in defense there. I really can't see them making an impact although they have some interesting attacking players on the wings. Sheva is Sheva, but I'm not sure he'll be able to keep up with the tempo. Hoping to see more of Milevskyi :)

He's got a Heskeyesque goal to game ratio :D

(Watch him be Ukraine's top scorer at the Euros now)

EDIT - Looks like 10 players from the squad are suffering from a stomach bug, which would explain the lineup put out yesterday. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jun/05/euro-2012-ukraine-stomach-bug Unreal.

Nice Article about Yarmolenko, written by the writers from football.ua

On that cold March night Andriy Yarmolenko felt particularly gloomy. His Dynamo Kyiv side had just struggled to beat lowly Vorskla, winning 1-0 in the end, and he had been so poor that he was substituted in the first half. He clearly was not in the mood to speak to the media but a local TV company insisted and then bombarded him with questions. What had gone wrong during the game? Why were Dynamo playing so badly? And why had he been taken off?

Yarmolenko refused to answer several times before one journalist said: "You owe it as a footballer, as a public person, to answer these questions." Yarmolenko did not even raise his eyes to look at the inquisitor, he just said "no, I am not a football player" and walked away.

What he meant was that he was not like other footballers and that he was not even sure whether he was cut out to make it in the professional game. And Dynamo's fans, at the time, would have agreed. It was his first season as a regular at the club and he was not capable of producing his best football. The pressure seemed to have got to him and the fans were on his back.

The jokers got down to business, with jibes such as "you say you are not a footballer? Well, we knew that a long time ago" – and other broadsides. It even got so bad that the Dynamo president, Ihor Surkis, banned Yarmolenko from talking to the press for a period of time.

Two years on and Yarmolenko has transformed himself completely to become Ukraine's main hope as they prepare to take on England, France and Sweden at Euro 2012. He has also been linked with a move to Liverpool. For a player who was called "the new Shevchenko" at 17, Yarmolenko has gone from heaven to hell – and back to heaven again.

His career path has not been straightforward. Far from it. When he was 13 he joined Dynamo Kyiv on a youth contract, only to move back to Desna a year later having been unable to cope with the physical demands at the Premier League club. For many that would be it as far as a football career was concerned but four years later, when he was still minding his own business with Desna, Yarmolenko was suddenly thrust into the spotlight again.

On that day in 2006 the Dynamo coach, Anatoliy Demiyanenko, was facing awkward questions about why he never gave any young players a chance. Suddenly, the club spokesman, Alexei Semenenko, interrupted the conversation and said proudly: "I was recently informed that 130km away from Kiev our scouts have found the boy who is already being called 'the new Shevchenko.'"

No one was told the name of this "new Shevchenko" until the next day, when the papers found out that Semenenko had meant Yarmolenko. Since that day and until he made his debut for the Dynamo first team, he was nicknamed "the boy from 130km away". Yarmolenko was born in Russia, where his parents worked, but they returned to their home in Ukraine after the collapse of the Soviet Union. "I was born in St. Petersburg, which then was called Leningrad, but I don't remember much about those years," Yarmolenko has said. "I was only three years old when my family returned to Ukraine. As far as I am concerned I only have one nationality, and I never thought about playing for Russia."

He was clearly a talented footballer, hence the offer to join Dynamo at the age of 13, but the failed experience in the capital made him reflect on what was important for him at the time. "I missed my parents. My thoughts were not on football, but on the desire to see my loved ones. I guess I came to Kiev too early. "I felt that I was too weak and that I wasn't getting any stronger physically. It was a difficult time for me. Later I realised that the decision to return to Chernihiv was the right one." There were no hard feelings from Dynamo and they did the right thing, allowing him to return to Chernihiv rather than accepting offers from other clubs.

He continued to develop and felt mentally ready to return to Dynamo at the age of 17, but the "new Shevchenko" tag is somewhat unfair. Shevchenko was (and still is) famous for his predatory instincts in front of goal, his ability to read the game and to get into the right position in the penalty area. Yarmolenko, however, is not a natural goalscorer. He can play in most positions in attack, but during his 18 months in Dynamo's second team he scored only eight goals. Once he got the chance in the first team, however, he did not have to wait long for his first. Towards the end of the 2007‑08 season the head coach, Yuriy Semin, decided to give the young Yarmolenko a chance away to Vorskla Poltava. The striker responded by scoring the winner.

The following season was a struggle for Yarmolenko with Semin once again preferring more experienced players to the raw teenager. But then Semin was replaced by another Russian, Valeriy Gazzaev, who re-introduced Yarmolenko to the first team and was also able to bring back Shevchenko from Chelsea. Gazzaev favoured a 4-3-3 formation and he felt that Yarmolenko could play on the wing (a perception not shared by the fans who saw the tall, strong, energetic youngster as a central striker). During pre-season Yarmolenko was even tried in left-back, to his obvious discomfort. He slowly started to look more comfortable on the left. The media and the fans were giving him a hard time but at least his coach believed in him. After Yarmolenko's debut in the first team, he said: "I would particularly like to thank my first coach [at Desna] and Valeriy Gazzaev, because it was he who believed in me. And when he became the head coach of Dynamo, I got into the starting XI."

Gazzaev never paid any attention to the media or the fans and that unfortunate first-half substitution against Vorskla was one of the few times Gazzaev's belief in the player wavered. No wonder Yarmolenko has remained so grateful. Having won a permanent place in Dynamo's first team, it did not take long before Yarmolenko made his debut with the national team. Again he scored quickly, in both games against Andorra, but ran into trouble for his performance in the World Cup play-offs against Greece in 2009, which Ukraine lost. With Dynamo, however, Yarmolenko continued to develop. Every season he has improved and after his second campaign he said: "It felt really nice to silence the critics. I read the [critical] comments on various fan sites with a smile now. Of course there are those who continue to look down on me, but there are fewer of them out there now."

Even the return of Yarmolenko's former nemesis, Semin, could not halt his progress. He impressed so much, in fact, that Semin gave him a much freer role and now Yarmolenko can often be seen on any of the flanks, behind the striker and even in the centre of attack. In the Ukrainian youth teams, Yarmolenko had often played with another great talent – Yevhen Konoplyanka from Dnipro, who is also left winger. The coach of the Ukrainian Under-21 team, Pavlo Yakovenko, thought long and hard about how to solve this problem and then began to use one striker and two wingers, of which he moved the left-footed Yarmolenko to the right flank. And that is also how the senior team has used him on several occasions.

"Frankly speaking, it is even easier for me to attack from the right flank of midfield, I can move to the centre and create a chance with a favourable foot," he says. So Yarmolenko's current position on the pitch does not allow for him to be called the new Shevchenko, but then he never wanted such a nickname. "I do not want to be the 'new Shevchenko' – I want to be Yarmolenko," he says.

For the 22-year-old the Euro 2012 finals feels like make or break on the international scene. He can be inconsistent, he can be frustrating and he can be ineffective. But he can also be brilliant and this summer he can try himself against some of the best players in the world. He will relish the challenge – and these days every one in Ukraine knows that he is comfortable in his role as footballer, unlike the shy teenager who refused to look into the TV camera after having been hauled off in the first half.

Archived