FM2012 Free Role

If the attribute is no longer in the editor I would think it has been removed.

Free Role was always something I was unsure of. As I don't play with editors/tools to see hidden attributes I've never really known what a player's free role rating was and as such I'd been wary of using it, trying it now and then for certain players/positions but mostly sticking without it.

In FM12 I've adopted the policy of setting roaming based on visible attributes for attacking players. The tactics creater lists creativity as the key attribute for roaming and I've been using this as a guide, setting it on for players above 12 creativity (I'm in the Championship) and off for players lower. At the moment that's working very well but I think I'll go a step further and include decisions, off the ball and possibly anticipation and work rate in deciding whether or not to assign it. Creativity may be one of the main attributes but I feel these others will also play an important role.

Personally I think roaming is no longer tied to the old hidden attribute that seems to be gone, instead being dependant on the key mental attributes. That's just my interpretation though, based on how I've seen things go over the first quarter of the first season.

Free role in the editor was never used for the match engine.

The Free Role attribute has never been used in the ME. It was only a researcher question that was asked in case it was ever required. Recent development (free role becoming roaming) has resulted in the decision to remove it as an attribute.

Archived