FM12 - Barnsley F.C - Aiming for Mid-Table for a Change!

lewis999

I used Zonal marking which may help too, as Barnsley's defenders aren't the best marking and concentration wise. Defensive positioning always helped massively in the specific focus area on the tactics screen.

Fantastic advice you gave me.

8 points clear of relegation zone. Won 4 matches on the bounce. Unbeaten in 7. :thup:

All but safe now. :)

Great to hear it, play-offs and automatic next season then. Danny Haynes for me was sensational, he'd miss a few but we would make that many chances he would score enough for us to win, played him as an advanced forward due to his high work rate.

Yeah that's where I played him at the end of the season.

Currently clearing the fringe players from the team and bringing in new players.

So far I've brought in Sanchez Watt, Cillian Sheridan and Paul Huntington as a back up. Also managed to secure Friedrich to another contract.

I'm loving this thread. I'm doing a save with Barnsley, my home town (thought I was the only one until I came across this). I won the Championship in my first season. Signings I made were Jlloyd Samuel, Richard Hughes, Michael McIndoe and Nicolas Dieuze all on free transfers. Was pretty gutted when Addison and Drinkwater departed, but managed to reloan Drinkwater and took Grant Hanley from Blackburn as Addison's replacement. Who defeinitely delivered for me. I also loaned in January, Luis Guillherme and Johann Berg Guomundsson. Other than the loanees my best player imo was actually Matty Done, whilst playing him in AML of a 4231 formation. He played 46, scored 20, assists 19, mom 8, avr rat 7.49. Danny Haynes on the opposite flank (AMR) won Championship player of the year. Played 36, Scored 17, assists 16, mom 8, avr rat 7.34. I tended to rotate Craig Davies and Vaz Te as the front man.

I'm loving this thread. I'm doing a save with Barnsley, my home town (thought I was the only one until I came across this). I won the Championship in my first season. Signings I made were Jlloyd Samuel, Richard Hughes, Michael McIndoe and Nicolas Dieuze all on free transfers. Was pretty gutted when Addison and Drinkwater departed, but managed to reloan Drinkwater and took Grant Hanley from Blackburn as Addison's replacement. Who defeinitely delivered for me. I also loaned in January, Luis Guillherme and Johann Berg Guomundsson. Other than the loanees my best player imo was actually Matty Done, whilst playing him in AML of a 4231 formation. He played 46, scored 20, assists 19, mom 8, avr rat 7.49. Danny Haynes on the opposite flank (AMR) won Championship player of the year. Played 36, Scored 17, assists 16, mom 8, avr rat 7.34. I tended to rotate Craig Davies and Vaz Te as the front man.

Great to see Matty Done doing well for you, he must outperform his attributes massively which is very good as he looks pretty bright in real life. I'm just coming up to another Champions League final and will be playing Real Madrid, also got a new stadium to move into soon, one more season in Oakwell then we move in. Sold 85m worth of player's in the January window, have won the premier league and have just got a 4* English striker through my youth academy that is said to be "one of the best of his generation" so I can't wait to see him develop as I am the England manager.

Have around 7 english player's in my youth team and reserves that are all 3.5* at least so should have a good future, also have just pinched one from Sheffield Wednesday. :D

Managed to hold onto my lead in the Premiership to win it for the 3rd time consecutively. Biggest moment was the Champions League and in the Semi finals I had Barcelona at home first, dominated the game and won 3-1, great result. Second leg I was missing 2 key men to suspensions after yellow cards in the first leg and injuries that happened in the week so I had a depleted team.

The match went exactly how I thought it would be and we were on the back foot. Went 1-0 down courtesy of a Lucas Moura goal and then it hit me, they only needed to win 2-0 as they had the away goal so I tried to push them back as it was wave after wave of attack.

My German winger who is naturally a forward got me a goal back in the 75th minute against the run of play and then straight after my Ballon D'or winning Attacking Midfielder smashed a 25 yard curler in to make the game safe. In the end we won 3-2 (6-3 in aggregate) We scored again to make it 3-1 and then a 32 year old Lionel Messi scored a consolation for them.

Anyway to the final and Madrid awaited. Again had missing player's due to injuries so the bench was depleted but the starting 11 were good enough.

We were just edging the game and then my attacking midfielder took 2 player's on and slotted one past Casillas. 2 minutes later, Carlos Fierro took another 2 defenders on and chipped the ball over an onrushing Casillas.

We were cruising until Gonzalo Higuain managed to get on the end of a cross to make it 2-1 and a nail-biting last 15 minutes. We managed to hold out to complete the quadruple which included the European Super Cup, Club World Championship, Premier League and Champions League. We were disappointing in both the FA Cup and the League cup where Man City and Liverpool knocked us out in the 3rd and 5th rounds respectively.

Roll on next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to win yet another quadruple with all 3 domestic honours, my 5th Champions League in a row and the European Super Cup so 5 if the last one counts. I finished the season unbeaten with plus 100 goal difference which is very unrealistic so decided to start a new save elsewhere, will be monitoring this thread with other people's updates, not that many people play as Barnsley but.....

I did lose to Zamalek in the Club World Cup Championship Final which was a bitter blow as we conceded 3 set pieces to lose 3-2. Think all the player's got complacent. If we had of won that it would of been a clean sweep but it wasn't to be, the board was disappointed with that but as I said i'm going to be looking for a new challenge and will come back to the Barnsley save in the future.

Good luck everyone else who is in charge of the Tykes.

So, 2nd Season as Barnsley manager and life in the Premiership couldn’t have started any harder, an away trip to Manchester United.

I obviously did alot of spending in the close season, to try and bring about a decent crop of players. My incline was to make sure we had a good young side who could develop, while at the same time if we were relegated we could bounce straight back.

My first two signings were players I’d relied on to help get us in the Prem. Miles Addison and Danny Drinkwater. Drinkwater’s contract was up so he was for nothing, while Addison set me back £2million. I always spread my costs out over 48 months, that way it helps to bring in more players.

I brought up 2 good championship players in Tom Cairney and Ryan Bennet for £1million a piece.

I signed Korey Smith from Norwich for £500k, George Moncur on a free from West Ham. I signed John Fleck from Rangers for £2.5million, Jack Butland from Birmingham, also for £2.5million. I signed other youngsters on recommendation of my scout, Ian Bowyer. Daniel Situ from Swansea for £1.5million, Damien Martinez from Arsenal for £1.3million, Joshua Guilavoglui or £1.5million from St Etienne., Miiko Albornoz for £500k from Malmo and Jo Inge Berget from Molde for £550k.

I picked up Clarence Seedorf on a free to add a bit of experience to the ranks.

I let go Luke Steele (which I came to regret) for a mere £230k to West Ham, Rob Edwards for £250k to Bristol City and Goran Lovre for £575k to Southampton. I released Jim McNulty and Brad Kilburn.

Away to Man U first game, we won 3-1. I was ecstatic and immediately expected us to be pushing for Europe haha.

It was an indifferent season, we finished 11th. I was happy with scoring 67 goals in the division, Jo Inge Berget was a revelation, but we shipped in 76, which had to be worked on for next season.

I bought in January, Jonathan Mensah (not the ex-Sunderland guy) but a Ghanian defender from Evian TG FC for £6.25 million, as well as Jordan Spence from West Ham for £3million and Matt Phillips from Blackpool for £3.5million.

A bad run came on the 26th of Jan when we lost at Spurs, 7-0. We didn’t win for another ten games after this and I was expecting us to be right in the relegation battle, but the winless run was followed by 4 straight victories, pushing us back up into mid-table. If we had won our last game we’d have actually finished 7th. That’s how tight the division was.

Looking forward to some more wheeling and dealing in the close season, so that I can push for European football!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

As I said a month ago I got round to doing another with Barnsley on the new update, just finished the first season and finished first, closely run by Southampton, if anyone is playing as the Tykes and wants me to post details I will do, no point if no-one else is having a go.

It's a very good challenge if you're struggling to find a team to be.

• 3 weeks later...

Vaz Te wasn't very good pre-patch at Barnsley, he has had a very big upgrade to what he looks like now but as for a striker I would highly recommend Ahmed Soukouna, he starts as a free agent and can be a very useful Premier League squad player if and when you go up.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, not logged in for a while, started a new save as my beloved Barnsley on new patch, even downloaded database for promotions etc. any suggestions on staff, plus a AMC playing a deep 4231, not got any amc atm.

I lost my saved game mate because my computer's hard drive decided to cut out on me :( so thinking of starting a new one today.

If anyone is thinking of giving Barnsley a go for the last months of this FM or if people are currently Barnsley, get posting and see if we can get a little army of secondary Barnsley fans if they don't support them already, always nice to have a second team.

Had a really good start to the season, unbeaten in all competitions so far and been drawn against Arsenal at the Emirates in the Carling Cup which will be a test.

Looking forward to everyone else posting their games and progress in here.

• 1 month later...

Started a Barnsley game and really struggling to score goals. I can't push too high up because my defenders are slow and i can't create chances except the odd Dave Cotterill run and cross. I brought in a 39 year old Rivaldo :D to try and get some creativity but first match he hit the bar from 30 yards then got injured for 2-3 weeks. Feel hopeless!

I'd highly recommend playing on the counter attack as the defence is on a slow-ish side as you stated. I always played on the counter with Barnsley as I have said further up, Jim O'Brien, Craig Davies, Cotterill and Matty Done are useful as they all have 14+ pace I think except maybe Davies.

Started a new Barnsley save yesterday and I've had an amazing start. I managed to pick up convincing wins in my first three games, 5-1 at home to Doncaster, 3-0 at home to Hartlepool (Cup - fielded a weaker team) and 5-1 away at Ipswich. Unbelievable start really. Zoko has been the star of the show, I managed to sign him for £100,000 as he's got a clause that an offer of that value or above has to be accepted. Also brought in Danny Whittaker from Chesterfield for £40,000 - he's playing behind Zoko and looks really solid, scored 2 in his first 3 games. Made a couple of other signings but will post them up late in more detail. Sold Noble-Lazarus for £1 million to Sunderland (+25% of next transfer) and sold Andy Gray to Scunthorpe for £10,000 - released a few fringe/reserve players as well.

Great to hear at least someone is playing as Barnsley, I am currently doing what I like to call the 'Pentagon Challenge' which basically is to try and win all the 5 Champions Leagues' on the game, I started in Australia and won the Asian Champions League with Brisbane Roar. Went to Flamengo and won the Copa Libertadores, after that America (MEX) In Mexico and won the North American Champions League.

I am currently the manager of Kaizer Chiefs in South Africa as they are the only African playable nation and i'm in the Quarter Finals of the African Champions League, that will be 4 out of 5, then i'm hoping to go to Barnsley when they sack their manager and win the European Champions League from whatever position they are in with all regens nearly.

Archived