Offside every time..

Continually, my corner takers remain in an offside position after a corner is taken, and if the ball is cleared, its naturally played back out wide where im flagged for offside!!! :mad: This has really bugged me over the past 2-3 FM's and im wondering if anyone has any info on how to rectify it? cheers.

Continually, my corner takers remain in an offside position after a corner is taken, and if the ball is cleared, its naturally played back out wide where im flagged for offside!!! :mad: This has really bugged me over the past 2-3 FM's and im wondering if anyone has any info on how to rectify it? cheers.

Where are your corners aimed? Do you have anyone lurking outside the area or coming short?

Where are your corners aimed? Do you have anyone lurking outside the area or coming short?

normally i whip them in front post for a flick on. if they are cleared normally my man outside the area picks it up or a defender. 99% they then spray the ball back out wide to the corner taker as he is always unmarked!

normally i whip them in front post for a flick on. if they are cleared normally my man outside the area picks it up or a defender. 99% they then spray the ball back out wide to the corner taker as he is always unmarked!

I send mine to the back post and rarely see my corner taker caught offside. Obviously you would have to adapt your set up, but it may be worth aiming somewhere beyond the near post or even to the far post for a match and see if it helps.

Just had a thought, is your corner taker set to 'Lurk'? If you like your near post setup try setting him to 'Lurk' and see if that helps. If it doesn't, keep him on 'Lurk' but send the ball further, you should find that by the time the ball reaches someone's head, your corner taker is onside and heading away from the corner.

you cant i'm afraid,just grin and bear it.

You certainly can do something about it... I'm just not exactly sure how I've solved it!!

It used to happen all the time and was certainly very annoying but as my players have improved it has almost been totally eradicated from my team - the only time I see it now is when my young backup takes the corners. My 2 main corner takers always manage to get back onside apart from the very rare occurence when one of my chaps near the front post heads it directly back to taker (my corners are set to mixed to its very rare).

The only thing I can point to is that my 2 corner takers are now very established players with very good mental attributes (particularly decisions and determination) who have been with the team for a number of years. The same thing happens in all sport - inexperienced players tend to spend valuable time watching what they have just done before moving on to the next thing to do (this could be a throw-in at rugby, a corner at football or a shot in badminton - it happens in EVERY sport). More experienced players (who would normally have better mental abilities if they were in FM) quickly register the action they have just performed and then move on to the next job - it's one reason why the expression that 'experience is crucial' is so true. FM simulates this but I would guess that the decision to move back on side is matched with the determination to get back on side.

As you get better, more established players the effect will disappear.

Same for the annoying throw-in return going straight in to touch.

You certainly can do something about it... I'm just not exactly sure how I've solved it!!

It used to happen all the time and was certainly very annoying but as my players have improved it has almost been totally eradicated from my team - the only time I see it now is when my young backup takes the corners. My 2 main corner takers always manage to get back onside apart from the very rare occurence when one of my chaps near the front post heads it directly back to taker (my corners are set to mixed to its very rare).

The only thing I can point to is that my 2 corner takers are now very established players with very good mental attributes (particularly decisions and determination) who have been with the team for a number of years. The same thing happens in all sport - inexperienced players tend to spend valuable time watching what they have just done before moving on to the next thing to do (this could be a throw-in at rugby, a corner at football or a shot in badminton - it happens in EVERY sport). More experienced players (who would normally have better mental abilities if they were in FM) quickly register the action they have just performed and then move on to the next job - it's one reason why the expression that 'experience is crucial' is so true. FM simulates this but I would guess that the decision to move back on side is matched with the determination to get back on side.

As you get better, more established players the effect will disappear.

Same for the annoying throw-in return going straight in to touch.

although i totally agree with everything your saying referring to "watching" the play, my corner taker for Man United is Giggs. Not sure you can get much more experienced then that! could be a combination of things, ill work at it and see if i cant combine all the ideas on here! thanks for you help.

although i totally agree with everything your saying referring to "watching" the play, my corner taker for Man United is Giggs. Not sure you can get much more experienced then that! could be a combination of things, ill work at it and see if i cant combine all the ideas on here! thanks for you help.

Agreed, you don't get any more experienced than Giggs!

I normally have an aggressive player with good long shots hang around the edge of the box - the idea being that he collects any poor clearances and slaps a shot towards goal. This would limit the number of times they play it straight back to the offside player. Won't solve the problem completely though.

Whats your team blending like? I'm guessing its very high but if you've bought a lot of players it may have dropped which may have an influence on this teamwork-style problem.

Agreed, you don't get any more experienced than Giggs!

I normally have an aggressive player with good long shots hang around the edge of the box - the idea being that he collects any poor clearances and slaps a shot towards goal. This would limit the number of times they play it straight back to the offside player. Won't solve the problem completely though.

Whats your team blending like? I'm guessing its very high but if you've bought a lot of players it may have dropped which may have an influence on this teamwork-style problem.

dont really add to the initial man united squad, maybe a few youngsters. only real transfer action is selling berbatov and carrick (real life hatred). Every thing is quite high, but i have placed Rooney to lurk outside the box. 11 corners in my last game (cup vs Plymouth). 4 were cleared, rooney shooting twice and playing 2 back out to giggs (scored 1 longshot, 2 balls played out wide both offside). I think it may just be a case of minimizing the amount it happens rather then eradicating it!

Archived