Getting rid of debt

Yeah, you took Villa as far as they can go... and then you faceplanted into a wall, because the way it was going you would eventually stop getting more money to spend on transfers since loan repayments would grow exponentially. Since the club couldn't grow unless you got a new stadium, and you wouldn't get a new stadium unless you had hundred(s) of millions in your bank account even at the end of the season, and you couldn't continue winning without spending money ... you were in a unsustainable situation!

To climb over that wall you need to regress a little, which is what you are doing now. Good luck with that!

Yeah you couldn't have summed it up any better, cheers mate. December and I'm 3rd, not too bad!

Your success is great but your living beyond your means. Try to take advantage of your success by increasing the stadium capacity. Trim the wage bill where possible. Adopt a policy of signing young up and coming talent with a sell on value so you can sell them on for a profit once their wage demands become excessive. Hire a good scout to keep an eye on U18's. This way you can sign top talent for little outlay if you are prepared to develop them. I adopted this strategy with United and was able to achieve success while also keeping the club in a good financial position despite the heavy debt repayments.

Stadium expansion is almost always a catch-22... Since your revenues appear to be nearly maxed-out now, you'll have to cut costs. See if you can trim your wage budget to £1.4m/week which is £200k/week or £10.4m/year saved (not to mention various bonuses). Buy less players. Buy low, sell high. Trim your Reserves down. Be stingy with contracts.

I do think you are spending too much money (to me, £27m net spend per year is a lot to sustain success). Try to see if you can cut that down and perhaps have a negative net spend every few years.

My rule of thumb is always to look at average seat price x capacity (assuming sellouts every week) x 25 (for a team that'll do well in Europe and the cups, as a conservative estimate), and making that my wage budget.

Transfer budget is as simple as "If it'll take me into the red, don't do it". Plus I tend to mostly go for kids anyway.

So in my Arsenal save, my age budget should be around 80,000 (new stadium) x 45 x 25 = £90 million / 50 (weeks) = £1.8 mil a week. Now this is all rough workings, as my actual capacity is just above 80k, the average seat price is just over 45 and there are 52 weeks in a year. It gives me a good ballpark figure to see what I can afford though. Competition wins / TV money can then deal with other costs and raise money for transfers.

However, if I stretch my wage budget to capacity (by minimising my transfer budget), my board are quite happy for me to spend £6.75mil a week on players. There's just no possible way to break even on those sorts of wages, but they are happy for me to try. Doing so would deplete the £770 mil I've saved up in the bank over 2 and a half seasons. I'd then be on an express train to bankruptcy.

Instead, I spend £1.1 mil on wages right now (I tend to fluctuate between 1 mil and 1.5 mil), bring in 70 mil or so a season in transfer profits and watch my balance and club worth steadily climb. That way if I'm ever in a position where I have to break the bank to bring back trophies I can.

That said, don't be afraid to sell an in form player in his mid to late 20's. Milk them for every penny you can get, and start bringing through their replacements. If you plan to replace 2 28 year olds with 22 year olds a season (22 year olds you bought at 15-20 relatively cheap then developed in house) your team will always have a nice mix of semi-youth and semi-experience. It'll be full of players in the peak of their careers. And you'll make a huge profit, cashing in on players at the time when their value and wage demands tend to peak. Personally I'm happy selling on a 23 or 24 year old and replacing them with an 18 or 19 year old if the money is right. It hasn't stopped me winning a huge haul of trophies. In fact, the way a long term youth setup works, in order to win back the title after losing it to City two years in a row, I didn't go out and buy anyone. I bought a few kids as usual, but no-one who stepped into the first team. Instead I just didn't sell anyone that year. Not selling 50-200 mil worth of players was almost like buying 50-200 mil worth of experienced players, the effect it had on my team. And once I had my title back, I was able to sell again, confident that I'd done enough to ensure we keep it this time.

My rule of thumb is always to look at average seat price x capacity (assuming sellouts every week) x 25 (for a team that'll do well in Europe and the cups, as a conservative estimate), and making that my wage budget.

Transfer budget is as simple as "If it'll take me into the red, don't do it". Plus I tend to mostly go for kids anyway.

So in my Arsenal save, my age budget should be around 80,000 (new stadium) x 45 x 25 = £90 million / 50 (weeks) = £1.8 mil a week. Now this is all rough workings, as my actual capacity is just above 80k, the average seat price is just over 45 and there are 52 weeks in a year. It gives me a good ballpark figure to see what I can afford though. Competition wins / TV money can then deal with other costs and raise money for transfers.

However, if I stretch my wage budget to capacity (by minimising my transfer budget), my board are quite happy for me to spend £6.75mil a week on players. There's just no possible way to break even on those sorts of wages, but they are happy for me to try. Doing so would deplete the £770 mil I've saved up in the bank over 2 and a half seasons. I'd then be on an express train to bankruptcy.

Instead, I spend £1.1 mil on wages right now (I tend to fluctuate between 1 mil and 1.5 mil), bring in 70 mil or so a season in transfer profits and watch my balance and club worth steadily climb. That way if I'm ever in a position where I have to break the bank to bring back trophies I can.

That said, don't be afraid to sell an in form player in his mid to late 20's. Milk them for every penny you can get, and start bringing through their replacements. If you plan to replace 2 28 year olds with 22 year olds a season (22 year olds you bought at 15-20 relatively cheap then developed in house) your team will always have a nice mix of semi-youth and semi-experience. It'll be full of players in the peak of their careers. And you'll make a huge profit, cashing in on players at the time when their value and wage demands tend to peak. Personally I'm happy selling on a 23 or 24 year old and replacing them with an 18 or 19 year old if the money is right. It hasn't stopped me winning a huge haul of trophies. In fact, the way a long term youth setup works, in order to win back the title after losing it to City two years in a row, I didn't go out and buy anyone. I bought a few kids as usual, but no-one who stepped into the first team. Instead I just didn't sell anyone that year. Not selling 50-200 mil worth of players was almost like buying 50-200 mil worth of experienced players, the effect it had on my team. And once I had my title back, I was able to sell again, confident that I'd done enough to ensure we keep it this time.

What he said :thup:

avilladebt.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3 months later I'm -£11,000,000 by doing NOTHING HOW FRUSTRATING!

So what your saying is the board have used the money in the bank account to pay off some of the long term loans you have built up over the last 5? years. If thats the case I'm not convinced you really fully understand what they have done.

You have taken loans that total £290m (post #12) that means you have spent £290,000,000 that you didn't have and have to repay back. Also from post #12 if you take the monthly payments & the number of payments remaining it shows you still have approx £165m of that £290m to repay back as at 26.01.28.

What the board have done is take some of the money you've saved recently thats sitting in your bank account doing nothing and used it to pay off some of the loans. This means you now have less loans to repay and your monthly repayments will have reduced. Basically the money hasn't been wasted and you shouldn't be frustrated as your situation is moving in the right direction but it will take a lot more time to clear all of the debt.

Best tip I have is to pay for player purchases over a 12 month peroid.

If you pay the cash up front you lose it all out of the bank straight away. If you pay over 48 months you end up getting in trouble down the road.

Archived