could this be a bug? it is crazy!

Its not a bug. Your player is having a really good run mate. Its nothing to fret over. Plenty of world class strikers go on cold streaks *cough* torres. And there are times when players not known for scoring go on mini hot streaks.

Your lad is aggressive, hard working, determined, a good decision maker, has decent anticipation and of the ball as well very good technique. Oh and he is also pretty dam fast. He's better than you think he is mate.

That high technique attribute is so key. When someone with very good technique gets the ball in front of goal, he is more than likely going to take a very good shot no matter how good a finisher is.

So many attributes have to considered when thinking about how goals are scored. And even then, just because someone has low attributes doesn't mean a player won't score and score a lot.

I remember when I was younger I couldn't, for the life of me, stop benjani from scoring. He scored dam near every time he played against me back then lol

The 17 in technique explains how he scores so many goals with only 5 in finishing and 10 in long shots. Technique could be seen as a modifier/multiplier of corners, crossing, dribbling, finishing, first touch, long shots and passing. So could current ability, of which this player is a good-to-leading PL player quality (in a lower quality league? making him one of the best players in that league possibly).

All in all, the finishing of 5 isn't his real finishing skill - it is likely higher than that.

When all that is said (many good posts towards the end of this thread), I find it annoying that players with 5 in long shots and flair are consistently the ones scoring from 25-40 yards on fantatic screamers against me. I don't argue that it shouldn't happen, but rather that the long shots attribute seems to be incredibly unimportant in this game. Surely a player with 15 in long shots should score more often on long shots than a player with 5 in long shots, but this isn't the case at all. Screamers like that are rare and are evidently not governed as a type of likelyhood by the long shots attribute, but more by form and morale.

I wish the long shots attribute was turned into more a kind of tendency attribute like the keeper's boxing and rushing out, so that the useless long shots tactical bar and PPM could be removed. Unless, of course, the long shots attribute is fixed by making it a likelyhood-of-scoring-from-distance chance modifier as it should be. Or what about both?

The 17 in technique explains how he scores so many goals with only 5 in finishing and 10 in long shots. Technique could be seen as a modifier/multiplier of corners, crossing, dribbling, finishing, first touch, long shots and passing. So could current ability, of which this player is a good-to-leading PL player quality (in a lower quality league? making him one of the best players in that league possibly).

All in all, the finishing of 5 isn't his real finishing skill - it is likely higher than that.

When all that is said (many good posts towards the end of this thread), I find it annoying that players with 5 in long shots and flair are consistently the ones scoring from 25-40 yards on fantatic screamers against me. I don't argue that it shouldn't happen, but rather that the long shots attribute seems to be incredibly unimportant in this game. Surely a player with 15 in long shots should score more often on long shots than a player with 5 in long shots, but this isn't the case at all. Screamers like that are rare and are evidently not governed as a type of likelyhood by the long shots attribute, but more by form and morale.

I wish the long shots attribute was turned into more a kind of tendency attribute like the keeper's boxing and rushing out, so that the useless long shots tactical bar and PPM could be removed. Unless, of course, the long shots attribute is fixed by making it a likelyhood-of-scoring-from-distance chance modifier as it should be. Or what about both?

Think about it more along the lines of the attribute being an indication of how likely the long shot is going to be on target rather than a goal. A player with a high long shots attribute will hit the target more often than the player with a poorer attribute, if its a goal or not depends on a lot of other different factors, not just that players attributes.

I think we only notice when the AI pulls this off because it really annoys us. But if I look at my team, I totally notice the difference between my players. I have a player in my team with the PPM takes long shots who has poor long shots (9 I think in the CH). So I'm always praying that he doesn't decide to blast it, because it generally goes miles wide. Another player, with good long shots (16?) and good technique etc. scores quite regularly from distance (something like 1 in 5 or 6 for the season, although the odd goal might be from inside the box). He does have games where he regularly blasts it into orbit, and other games where every shot is dangerous - the pressure he feels and his motivation etc. obviously play a role in how he performs.

I think you're actually experiencing observer bias, just like the fact that strikers who haven't scored for 10 matches always seem to score against me. It's not actually true - I only notice and remember this when it happens. It's hard to notice him if a striker is being anonymous :)

Archived