Basic System Principals

Evening,

I've been doing some research today and plan on starting a new career save when I get home from work. I'd like people thoughts on the following tactical system I plan to impose on my game.

Firstly, I have no idea what team I intend to manage, but I intend to play a flat 442 with roles and duties assigned accordingly. I will also be using OI dependant on my own research and scout reports. This leads me to my base ideas...

I will create a home tactic. My starting strategy will be Control/ Standard which will reflect the match odds. I will encorporate a narrow width with a highish DL, I will also play a short passing game with a slow tempo. To accompany this I will instruct my groundsman to make the pitch as short and as narrow as possible.

For away games I will start with either a counter or standard strategy which will again reflect the match odds. I will play direct passes with a quick tempo. Depending on pitch size, I will use the following width and DL settings; Wide Pitch = Play Wider, Narrow Pitch = Play narrower, Long Pitch = Play deeper, Short pitch = play higher

Also, for the first time I will look at different passing options depending on weather, should it be raining I will use direct passing and on hot days I will use short passing with less closing down.

I know I've been a bit sketchy wth details, but what do people think of these as basic principals to build on?

Which team are you going to be? I ask because personally i find if you play with a high rep club, on a small pitch it may cause you problems as your players will have less space to play in.

The home tactic sounds a bit defensive to me. If you have weaker opponents coming to your grounds with the intend to shut up shop and hopefully take a point away from you you need a plan to unlock their defense. Short passing, high pressing and a narrow width won't help you score goals. It will give you control over the game but unless you can open them up with individual player skills and flair or score from set pieces I think you'll have a hard time scoring at home. If your battling against relegation it can work great and help you get some points you wouldn't get otherwise but if your playing as man utd you only give the weaker opponents a chance to steal points from you at home.

I used smallest pitch when playing Brazilian Box midfield and since I used 2 attacking wingbacks they were killing opposition. They didn't get as tired as with big pitch size and also it allowed my forwards and attacking midfielders to do their job in the middle. Also I tried some other formations with smallest pitch and you can overrun opposition.

Advantage is that you will regain possession easier, save energy for players and if you don't have very skilled players you can at least fight your way into box.

Archived