I cannot score from Corners (and I want to!)

Yes yes, I am one of those people.

If you think in one way, then I am one of those who just cannot score from corners and you sympathise with me as it is oh so simple. Maybe its my lack of concrete football knowledge, so please tell me.

If you think that I, just like you, cannot score from corners, well, don't worry. I am hoping someone who fits in the above category will come knocking and sort us out.

This is what my current setup looks like (I score maybe 3-5 goals from Corners in a complete season!):

The delivery is mixed.

AttCorners.jpg

I struggle at defensive corners as well, and only seem to negate the effect when I use 'Defensive Set Pieces' in Match preperation all through the season (then I give away 5-10 goals in 40 games, or else without match prep: 35-40 goals in 40 games).

Defensive corners:

DefCorners.jpg

I will try that, I have often noticed that my players don't connect with the ball (and the opposition does).

If you mean that the ball is getting delivered in the right area, but your player loses out when competing in the air with an opposing player, then all I can think is to swap him and put a bigger/taller/stronger player in his position.

The delivery is set to mixed, usually delivered to far post. When I deliver the ball to near post, my player usually passes it back to the corner taker.

I have also tried playing short and then crossing in (thought it might create more space in the box), but since my players move away as well, it usually ends up going straight to the keeper.

So taller+bigger+stronger combination is the preferred one?

I found some corner instructions, and they have worked reasonably well for me so far. Have your best Jumping & Heading DC (if you have two DC's with high Jumping and Heading, look for other stats that will help him score) DC "Attack Near Post", the other DC to "Challenge Keeper". have your most goal scoring player (or the one the opposition is most likely to view as a threat) to "Attack Ball From Deep". Spread the rest out as you see fit.

Oh and set corners to Near Post of course.

My DC (Jumping 17 & Heading 16 - Premier League and Euro Cup matches mostly) has scored 16 goals or so in 34 appearences this season so far.

I haven't changed a thing apart from corners to far post and putting my best header on attack far post (switched him with whoever was on it first). I have Kara who has 17 for jumping, heading and balance and 16 for strength so that helps as well. He scored 8 in 42 apps last season so not huge but he scored some important goals so I'm happy.

Do you try taller+stronger to mark the GK. And best heading player to attack first post with corner taker deliver ball to first post ?

Don't really go for taller, but stronger, yes.

I have tried the latter jim, but the player just heads the ball back to corner taker.

Try aiming for near post and then have the best header attack the near post. Use inswinging corners, have 2 players back and put everyone else on lurk outside area. Just don't tell the corner takers to stay back!

This tactic was posted a couple of months ago, there is an old thread on it I'm sure so it's not mine but it's working immensely for me.

Archived