Brazilian League Formations/Results

I believe that the Formations of the teams playing in the brazilian league is creating unrealistic results due to there defensiveness. The main formations used are 4-2-2-2 (DC,DC,DR,DL,DML,DMR,MCL,MCR,STL,STR) or 5-3-2 (DCL,DC,DCR,WBL,WBR,DMC,MCL,MCR,STL,STR) although there are a few others used. I am in my second season with Botafogo, after winning the 2010 First Ddivision, and I have noticed a lack of goals both in my team and the other teams, but especially in this new season.

The most recent week of fixtures involved all 20 teams in the top flight - these are the results -

Atletico Mineiro 0 v 0 Botafogo

Atletico Paranaense 0 v 0 Sao Paulo

Corinthians 2 v 0 Portuguesa

Fluminense 1 v 0 Coritiba

Goias 0 v 0 Santos

Internacional 0 v 0 Vitoria

Palmeiras 0 v 1 Flamengo

Ponte Preta 0 v 0 Ceara

Sport Recife 0 v 1 Cruzeiro

Vasco 1 v 0 Gremio

Further to this the highest scoring team after 6 league games is Cruzeiro with a grand total of 9 Goals! Half the teams in the league have scored less goals than games played.

I feel this is mainly due to more defensive formations, mostly consist of either 5 defenders and a defensive midfielder or 4 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders.

They seem to overpowering especially in a defensive outlook and with limited aerial presence in most teams up top.

If you play with an attacking mentality it doesn't really matter that you have a defensive formation.You can create a very very attacking and risky tactic with a 5-3-2-1 or 4-2-2-2 formation. Maybe this is more a result of lack of attacking mentality than a result of formations. What could be the case is that the underdog in a match will play defensive as normal and due to the defensive formation used he gets very hard to break down even with a very high mentality. The formation will in this case obviously contribute to the lack of attacking strength which makes things worse.

Archived