dominating the midfield

hello i currently play a 442 with excellent results played 5 won 5 in league scoring 10 conceding 0 although i havent played anyone good yet i am liverpool by the way and my next game is chelsea and after reading the scout report it says that they play a 41212 (narrow diamond) formation and that they play posession football so i fear that they will dominate the midfield as i have to wide midfielders who attack and a MC defend and a deep lying playmaker support how will i be able to stop them controlling the game and dont really want to change my formation

Try playing narrower, getting stuck in and good use of OI's (they can be very successful). Try putting your MC to ball-winning midfielder so long as he has the stats to really get stuck in.

I played 442 a lot on FM09 and it was always a bit of a struggle to beat a good 41212.

Also try exploiting the flanks or clear ball to flanks as there is obviously a weakness to a tight diamond - these instructions should still work with playing narrow. If you're at Stamford Bridge I'd probably start with a counter strategy and definitely exploit the flanks, you probably won't dominate the game away from home so trying to nick a goal by countering downs the flanks seems like a reasonable plan. I'm not afraid from playing negatively until 20 minutes from the end and open it up for the last 20 but I have a fit squad and good subs so you'll have to judge whether you have the patience to play like that.

I used to have a lot of success with playing against Chelsea when I played a 442 WIDE diamond against them. All I did was to use the shout 'play narrower' and then exploit the flanks.

The guy that will do the damage the most is the AMC so if your defenders can match their attackers for pace push the defensive line up as high as you can or drop the team as a unit back if you cant'. The key is to deny space between the lines so make sure you have a foward tracking back and picking up the DMC so they can't dominate the midfield zone.

Archived