The 3-5-2, how do those wingers work? [11.3]

This is a discussion on getting the wingers to play as wingers while playing a 3-5-2 (or any tactic with a back 3).

This is the setup I use. They ply like WB's so it's ok in my opinion. I am trying a similar tactic in the Bolivian second division and I am getting some similar results.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

In 11.2 patch, for 3-5-2 only solution to make them go forward during the attack was mentality on full attack. But even then they would be conservative. So it might be better to play them on WB position.

In my 4-2-2-2 and 4-3-1-2 I play attacking wingbacks in fullback position but they storm the flanks non-stop. So probably Wingback attacking should work in 3-5-2.

I actually find they attack better playing as WBs than as wide-midfielders.

Also, unless you do specific man marking, the wide midfielders will drop back into fullback positions.

I will try and get some in game screens from both my Bolivia and Iceland saves. In Iceland I am 18 seasons in and easily the best club there so I can get screens of how the tactic should work in perfect conditions, the Bolivia one is quite efficient though.

The only way the wide-men in a 3-5-2 can provide the same width as an out-and-out winger is if they are relieved of their defensive responsibilities. If that were to happen though, who then picks up the runs of opposition wingers? If it's left to someone else, it suddenly leaves too much space on the flanks, as well as making it very easy to be overlapped once the opposition wingback enters the fray, too. Why persist in trying to create what would be an unstable system? It's a heavy burden for the wide-men to be expected to attack the byline *and* get back to defend your own flank, so it's the latter that takes precedence over the former, just as it should be. For that reason, the 5-3-2 shape when defending is not only realistic, but wholly necessary against an opposing team that's using wingers.

Due to the fact that a CM is left unmarked, it's through the middle where a 3-5-2 is as its most dangerous going forward when playing against a flat 4-4-2. It's only against a diamond variant where you really ought to be trying to get as much as you can out of your wide-play, such is the dilemma of having all 3 CMs marked, but the wide-midfielders or wingbacks suddenly have more space, as well as less defending to do.

The wide-men / wingbacks of a 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 system do get forward and threaten from out-wide on their own terms, it's just not as you would get from a winger in a 4-3-3, 4-5-1, or an attacking 4-4-2.

Archived