Berti Wogts, der Fußballtrainer von Schottland

BobBev

Sky Sports News

Saturday July 7, 2001

And the main news in Scotland today concerns the announcement of the new national team manager. There were scenes of confusion at the SFA headquarters in Glasgow earlier today as the new man was introduced. After weeks of speculation we were expecting to see German legend Berti Vogts. Instead, due to an unfortunate typing error, we were introduced to a different Berti entirely - Berti Wogts. Herr Wogts has until very recently managed Ansbach, a German semi-professional team, and seemed every bit as surprised as the assembled press. When asked for comments Herr Wogts had this to say.

A slightly puzzled looking gentleman, tall and slim and wearing half moon spectacles, is seen facing a battery of reporters and microphones

"It vas a big surprise to be offered der Schottland job und I have great honour to be here in Edingburg. I cannot vait to be arriving at Murrayfield and to be starting vork. I haff of course a much deep knowledge about Schottland football. Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Joe Jordan - all much fine players here."

Later our reporter spoke with Hughie McScrooge, the SFA Chairman.

A small, wrinkled man with a very concerned expression appears on the screen.

"The contract was all signed before we noticed the mistake. He's got non-refundable plane tickets and everything and it would just be too expensive to change now."

I believe that we can go live to Germany where the real Berti Vogts is standing by to speak to us. Hello Berti, can you hear me OK?

"Ja, I can hear you vell."

Tell me Berti, what is your reaction to the news from Glasgow?

"Vell, I am very sorry that such an error has been made but there seems to be nothing that can be done now."

Have you heard of the other Berti before?

"Nein, I haff not knowing him at all."

Well do you have a message for the man that’s taken your job?

"I haff no hard feelings to him as it vas not his fault at all. I vish him vell und he can call me if I may be of help. In fact I have various tartan clothes that he may be interested in and a nice kilt that I will sell at a good discount."

Berti, thanks for taking the time to talk to us.

Author’s Note

This is my first attempt at an International Story. I’m sticking with CM01/02 at present and I’m also experimenting with a somewhat different format - it’ll probably be rubbish but we’ll see.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sky Sports News

Saturday July 7, 2001

And the main news in Scotland today concerns the announcement of the new national team manager. There were scenes of confusion at the SFA headquarters in Glasgow earlier today as the new man was introduced. After weeks of speculation we were expecting to see German legend Berti Vogts. Instead, due to an unfortunate typing error, we were introduced to a different Berti entirely - Berti Wogts. Herr Wogts has until very recently managed Ansbach, a German semi-professional team, and seemed every bit as surprised as the assembled press. When asked for comments Herr Wogts had this to say.

A slightly puzzled looking gentleman, tall and slim and wearing half moon spectacles, is seen facing a battery of reporters and microphones

"It vas a big surprise to be offered der Schottland job und I have great honour to be here in Edingburg. I cannot vait to be arriving at Murrayfield and to be starting vork. I haff of course a much deep knowledge about Schottland football. Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Joe Jordan - all much fine players here."

Later our reporter spoke with Hughie McScrooge, the SFA Chairman.

A small, wrinkled man with a very concerned expression appears on the screen.

"The contract was all signed before we noticed the mistake. He's got non-refundable plane tickets and everything and it would just be too expensive to change now."

I believe that we can go live to Germany where the real Berti Vogts is standing by to speak to us. Hello Berti, can you hear me OK?

"Ja, I can hear you vell."

Tell me Berti, what is your reaction to the news from Glasgow?

"Vell, I am very sorry that such an error has been made but there seems to be nothing that can be done now."

Have you heard of the other Berti before?

"Nein, I haff not knowing him at all."

Well do you have a message for the man that’s taken your job?

"I haff no hard feelings to him as it vas not his fault at all. I vish him vell und he can call me if I may be of help. In fact I have various tartan clothes that he may be interested in and a nice kilt that I will sell at a good discount."

Berti, thanks for taking the time to talk to us.

Author’s Note

This is my first attempt at an International Story. I’m sticking with CM01/02 at present and I’m also experimenting with a somewhat different format - it’ll probably be rubbish but we’ll see.

Sky Sports

Saturday August 31, 2002

Richard Keys and Andy Gray are sitting in the Sky Sports studio.

RK - Good afternoon and welcome to our live match this Saturday, Scotland’s opening game in their Euro 2004 qualifying group against Albania in Tirana. So Andy, this is Scotland’s first competitive match since Berti Wogts took charge and it promises to be an interesting one. But before we talk about that, what do you make of the team’s performance in the friendlies over the past 12 months.

AG - Not too bad Richard. A win, 2 draws and a defeat is a reasonable record. Berti has taken an incredible amount of stick and that’s not surprising given the circumstances of his appointment. But all in all he’s done very well.

RK - He started off with a match against Ireland at Hampden last September.

AG - Yes, and a good start it was too. There were a few surprises in his squad. Young Craig Dargo was included on the back of his excellent form for Kilmarnock, Charlie Miller the Dundee United midfielder was included and West Brom forward Scott Dobie was called up. But perhaps the biggest shock was the recall of Colin Hendry as captain, although the inclusion of Derek McInnes from West Brom came a close second.

RK - The game itself wasn’t a thriller but the Scots had a good result.

AG - Yes, a 1-0 win but it could easily have been more. Scotland dominated the game and the Irish didn’t manage a shot on target. Hendry was faultless at the back. Derek McInnes was outstanding in the crucial midfield holding position and Barry Ferguson controlled much of the game from midfield.

RK - Let’s take a look at the goal.

AG - Well Scotland had been on top for the whole game and had created lots of chances. The goal finally came just after the hour mark. We see Hendry playing a nice pass out from the back to Colin Cameron. Cameron brings it forward and sees Barry Ferguson free. Nice control and turn from the Rangers player there. He spots Steven Hampshire making a darting run and just squeezes the ball through to him. Lovely play from the young Dunfermline forward as he shimmies past Doherty and a great finish into the top corner. A class goal, and it had to be to beat Dean Kiely who was in super form.

RK - The next game was in Greece in October when some careless defending denied them a really good win.

AG - Yes, that was a real disappointment. But that apart it was an excellent performance. If you remember, the Middlesborough man Allan Johnston was outstanding playing just behind the front two. McInnes had another good game guarding the defence and actually got the first goal from a Johnston corner.

RK - Yes, let’s take a look at that.

AG - This was just a few minutes before half time. It had been pretty even up until then, with the closest thing to a goal being a terrific shot from Johnston that hit the bottom of the post. Here we’re just leading up to the corner. It’s Johnston in possession, a neat pass to pick out Craig Burley and a terrific first time shot from the Derby man that the Greek keeper does awfully well to get a hand to. Johnston whips the corner in and there’s McInnes rising above the Greeks to power the ball home.

RK - As you said, Allan Johnston was at the heart of everything for the Scots in that match and he scored their second.

AG - Oh he was on fire Richard. In fact let’s look at some action before the goal. We already mentioned that he hit the post in the first half. Look at that - picks up the loose ball, a first time shot, so unlucky. Now later in the second half. Burley picks out Jackie McNamara, nice knock down, good strike from Johnston and what a save. Two minutes later and Scott Dobie sets him up, he shots low and hard and another great stop by the young Greek keeper. Midway through the half now and its Burley the provider, Johnston on the volley but just too near the keeper. Honestly Richard, it just didn’t look like it was going to be his night. But then with about 25 minutes to go here he is. Look at him - he wants the ball all the time. Strong run, brushes the defender out of they way and what a finish - bottom corner, keeper no chance.

RK - Scotland 2-0 up and cruising. But then disaster.

AG - Aye, but the daft thing is we should have been three up. Take a look at this. It’s Johnston off on another rampaging run. Maybe could have squared it there but he keeps going, full of confidence. Great shot and great save. But young Craig Dargo picks up the loose ball now here’s where he shows a bit of immaturity. Probably should have gone for goal himself but he tries to set up Matteo instead. Big Dom gets blocked out and the Greeks get the ball back. One, two, three passes, the balls out wide, great cross but what was Rab Douglas doing? Came, stopped and came again and then it was an easy header for 2-1.

RK - And with what, 3 minutes to go things got worse.

AG - Terrible marking here. Now I don’t care what anyone says, that’s Matt Elliot’s man and he’s all alone in acres of space. Nothing Douglas could do about that one.

RK - So 2-2 then, but the Scots almost snatched a dramatic winner.

AG - That man Johnston again. It was built from the back though. Elliot and Hendry played it out nicely. McNamara to McInnes, back to McNamara - patient, looking for the opening. McNamara to Burley. Now he spots the run by Johnston, picks him out, rifles the shot in. It looks a goal all the way - but no. Hits the post and goes out. I’ll tell you, on another night Allan Johnston would have had a hat trick.

RK - Time for a break, but we’ll continue this discussion when we return.

Thank you d_s

Back in the Sky Sports Studio

RK - Then on to Slovenia in mid-November. There were a few changes for that game Andy.

AG - There were indeed. Steven Pressley from Hearts replaced Elliot, Colin Cameron came in to midfield in place of Burley and Craig Dargo started up front instead of Dobie.

RK - Scotland started well but again seemed to lose concentration later in the match.

AG - Spot on Richard. They had half a dozen good chances in the first half but only managed to tuck one away. Young Dargo had a good game. This is in the first minute, a lovely shot on the turn but just over the bar. On the half hour now, a great low cross from Matteo behind the defence. Dargo first to it - how did the keeper stop that? But Dargo gets the rebound and another great block by Simeunovic. But here’s the goal now. McNamara frees up Dargo who beats his man, slips it to Matteo and continues his run. Good vision from big Dom to pick out the youngster - what a finish, keeper no chance. And now, just before half time, it’s a good run by Ferguson, he lays it off to Dargo who shoots first time but the keeper gets a hand to it. Johnston takes the corner, good header by Hampshire and another good save.

RK - So 1-0 at half time and it should have been more. But in the second half Slovenia really came back into the game.

AG - They sure did. Here’s there first goal. Beautiful passing and movement - no doubt they are technically gifted. But for me there’s still a question mark about the marking here. Ribaric has no one within yards of him. OK, good finish but he just had too much time. Now this is just sheer bad luck for their second goal. About 20 minutes to go and McInnes gets a great block on the shot there. Could have gone anywhere but straight to Koren. He does finish it well though, I must admit.

RK - Scotland 2-1 down now but still pressing.

AG - Och aye, their heads never dropped. And they had some good chances, Hampshire just couldn’t hit the target. But then 10 minutes to go, Scotland pushing forward and the move breaks down. A fast counter attack and bang - in the back of the net, 3-1. But it’s not all over yet. Craig Winter, the young Dundee midfielder, had come on as a sub and he gets a goal back - Ferguson the provider, well finished by Winter. Then right at the death they almost nicked an equaliser. Huge pile of bodies in the area, Dargo shoots but a good block by the defender.

RK - So a 3-2 defeat in Slovenia. But still some positives Andy?

AG - Very much so. Dargo looked good up front and Dominic Matteo was a revelation. He was played almost as a left side wingback and he was very effective.

RK - And after a winter break it was back into action at Hampden Park in April with another match against Greece.

AG - And a pretty poor game it was too. Neither side played well but once again there were problems in the Scottish defence. Berti made some changes for this match and brought in Motherwell’s central pairing of Brian McAllister and Andy Morrison. It was Morrison’s first cap at the age of 31 and he lasted all of 23 minutes before going off injured and being replaced by Paul Richie. Richie has been out of favour at Man City this season and has only made 2 first team appearances. Gary Naysmith played on the left of defence and Leicester's Billy McKinlay was recalled in the defensive midfield role. Scott Booth partnered Craig Dargo up front and Neil Sullivan was preferred to Douglas in goal.

RK - It wasn’t the most exciting of matches Andy.

AG - Certainly not for the home fans Richard. A pretty dire first half ended scoreless but Greece took the lead just after the break. If you watch the goal here you can see that the fullback was allowed freedom to run with the ball - where were the tackles? He puts in a decent cross but frankly McAllister should have dealt with it. Good header though.

RK - Sullivan had a good game Andy.

AG - He needed to. The Greeks had half a dozen good chances.

RK - Not many attacking ideas from the Scots though.

AG - No, very few. Ferguson had a quiet game and was eventually replaced by Craig Winter and he played well when he came on. But the key substitution was the appearance of Don Hutchison with 12 minutes remaining. He replaced Allan Johnston and it proved to be an inspired move by Berti. Have a look. Winter gets the ball from McKinlay, makes progress through the middle and spots Don in the area, Neat pass - great finish. His first touch and its 1-1.

RK - The previous night had featured a B international instead of a game for the Under 21s.

AG - The least said about that the better Richard. Not that Scotland played too badly but the Greek strikers were on fire - 4-1 to Greece and it could have been more.

RK - Did anyone impress you in that game?

AG - Young Kevin McNaughton of Aberdeen had an excellent game. Only 19 but played well on the left of defence. Paul Gallagher did OK in goal when he replaced Jamie Langfield and Jim Lauchlan played well in the centre of defence.

RK - After the break we’ll take a quick look at how the Under 21 team has performed.

Oh guys, you're making me blush!! Thanks for your support.

RK - Welcome back. Andy, the Under 21s, how have they been doing?

AG - They’ve had some very encouraging results Richard. They beat Ireland 2-1 in their first friendly. Celtic’s Shaun Maloney and Mark Kerr of Hibs got the goals. Stephen Crainey of Celtic excelled in the left wingback position and Aberdeen’s Ross O’Donoghue played very well in midfield.

RK - And then a good result in Greece.

AG - Oh yes, another 2-1 win there. They went a goal down early on and trailed for most of the match. But St.Johnstone scoring sensation Kiegan Parker found the net twice in the last 8 minutes to seal the win.

RK - And then Slovenia.

AG - They outplayed them there Richard, but poor finishing was to blame for not getting the win. The Slovenians took the lead after 32 minutes but a minute later Motherwell’s James McFadden scored the goal of the game, a wonderful solo effort. But they gave away another goal with less than 20 minutes to go and it took an injury time strike from another Motherwell youngster, Stephen Pearson, to get the draw. Pearson was very impressive in midfield and Jamie McCunnie of Dundee United had a storming game at wingback

RK - We’ll just take a short break and then we’ll be back to take a look at Scotland’s qualifying group.

RK - Well then Andy, Scotland have a fairly tough group in their attempt to qualify for Euro 2004.

AG - Well it’s an interesting one isn’t it? Sweden, Ukraine, Israel and Albania.

RK - Sweden, of course played in the World Cup finals this summer.

AG - Indeed they did, in England’s group of course. They had a poor Finals though - last in their group with just 1 point. Still, they’re always a tough team to beat. The Ukraine can be devastating on their day - Shevchenko and Rebrov would give any defence nightmares. Israel are a bit of an unknown quantity to be honest, but they could well be a handful. And Albania aren’t the whipping boys that they used to be.

RK - How do you see the group panning out?

AG - Well you’ve got to fancy Sweden to win the group and I think it’s between Scotland and Ukraine for the runner-up spot and a chance of a playoff.

RK - And Scotland start their campaign with a tricky trip to Tirana.

AG - No easy task in my opinion. The Albanian crowd can be pretty hostile and the conditions certainly won’t be favourable. But it’s very important that we get off to a good start and nothing less than a win will do.

RK - And then they face Sweden in Glasgow just 4 days later.

AG - That’s right, so there’s not much time to recover. Once again I feel that this is a game that we must get something out of.

FK - So a draw at Hampden would be OK.

AG - A win would be better but a draw wouldn’t be a bad result.

RK - Of course last night the Under 21’s played their fixture last night and the seniors can take some encouragement from their performance.

AG - They certainly can as the youngsters won 2-0 with both goals being scored by Kilmarnock’s Paul Di Giacomo. Frankly the home side were never in the game and Scotland pinned them back in their own half for most of the 90 minutes. The young Albanian keeper had plenty of practice that’s for sure. He made some fine saves to keep the score respectable.

RK - Well let’s hope that the full squad can get the same kind of result tonight. Time for a quick look at the teams then Andy.

AG - Well Scotland will probably use a modified 5-3-2 formation like this

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Neil Sullivan

Brian McAllister Paul Richie

Gary Naysmith Christian Dailly Jackie McNamara

Barry Ferguson Charlie Miller

Don Hutchison

Steven Hampshire Craig Dargo</pre>

RK - Having recalled Colin Hendry for the warm matches it must have been a disappointment to Berti Wogts when Colin announced his retirement in the Summer.

AG - Yes, I think that Berti had hoped to use Colin’s experience at the back. It’s probably the weakest part of the team and Christian Dailly will have an important role to play guarding the back two. With Berti’s formation there’s also a lot of responsibility on the wingbacks to get forward and support the midfield and the advanced midfield position filled tonight by Don Hutchison is also critical.

RK - So Andy, what’s your prediction?

AG - Scotland to win 3-0.

RK - Well let’s hope your right. And now we’ll hand you over to our commentary team in Albania and Andy and I will be back at half time for some further analysis.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 1

Half Time

Albania 1 (Tare 30) Scotland 2 (Ferguson 38, Dailly 45)

RK - Welcome back. Well that was quite a first half Andy.

AG - You’re not kidding Richard. Having allowed Albania to take the lead the Scots came back well to go into the break ahead.

RK - Let’s take a look at the key moments.

AG - Scotland were out of the blocks quickly. A bit of head tennis here between Hampshire and Ferguson before Dargo latches on to the ball. Nice effort from the youngster that the keeper just manages to touch round the post. Here’s the corner and that’s a good header from McAllister and another good save from Beqaj. Here’s Hutchison trying his luck now, keeper doesn’t take it cleanly but the defender tidies up. Dailly sends it back into the danger area. Nice interplay here - Dargo to Miller to Hampshire. Ferguson now, sees the gap, shoots, and that’s another fine save. All of that was inside the first 5 minutes.

RK - But then Albania began to see a bit more of the ball.

AG - Yes, here’s there first opening. Lovely bit of skill there as he nutmegs Naysmith. Well hit shot too - Sullivan had to be alert there. They had another couple of half chances before the goal. But I felt that the Scottish midfield weren’t working hard enough at this point of the game and the Albanians were allowed to run at the defence too much. See, Murati makes a lot of distance and Sullivan makes another good save. But it’s just asking for trouble letting them run like that. Here’s the goal. It’s Tare this time on the ball. We’re backing off, backing off and then he lets fly and Sullivan’s beaten.

RG - But Scotland responded well.

AG - Och no doubt about that. Christian Dailly here making good progress, sends in a nice cross and Barry Ferguson scores with his head - you don’t see too many of those!

RK - And here’s the red card incident.

AG - Just silly isn’t it. Vata was booked very early on for kicking the ball away. So now just before half time, he’s tangling with Ferguson, gives the Rangers player a bit of a shove and the ref’s reaching for a card. Second yellow and off he goes. And of course it leads to the second goal. Ferguson takes the free kick, lovely delivery and there’s Dailly to head home.

RK - So definitely advantage Scotland now.

AG - Definitely.

RK - Do you see any changes at half time Andy?

AG - Well Brian McAllister hasn’t looked too clever at the back so we might see Matteo coming on to play in the centre of defence.

RK - We’ll be back after the break with the second half, so don’t go away.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 1

Full Time

Albania 1 (Tare 30) Scotland 3 (Ferguson 38, Dailly 45, Dargo 54)

RK - So Andy - a much quieter second half but a good win for Scotland nonetheless.

AG - Yes. A very good three points in the bag. Playing against 10 men you might have expected a few more goals but let’s take a look at the one we did get. Ferguson plays a nice crisp pass to Hampshire. He shields the ball well and lays it off for Dargo’s run. Nice control from the youngster and a cracking finish. The Albanians defended deep and made it very hard for us to break them down. There were a few goalmouth scuffles but no very clear-cut chances.

RK - Let’s take a look at the final statistics.

(Sky Sports Whooshing Noise)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Albania Scotland

6 Shots on Goal 13

5 On Target 10

1 Off Target 3

3 Corners 4

8 Free Kicks 10

4 Offsides 3

3 Yellow Cards 1

1 Red Cards 0</pre>

RK - And Andy, your Man of the Match.

AG - I thought that Lala was excellent in midfield for Albania, but Barry Ferguson just shades it for me.

RK - I believe that we can get some reaction from Berti Wogts over in Albania. Over to Geoff Shreeves.

GS - Congratulations Berti, that was a solid display and a good win.

BW - Ja, it vas no an easy game but I am very pleased to haff won our first game with meaning. It vas a good team performance vis everyone playing zer part.

GS - Thanks for taking the time to talk to us. I like your tartan tie by the way.

BW - Ja, danke. I haff much tartan clothes now you know. I was sold many items by Herr Vogts at a much big discount.

RK - Well that’s about all we have time for but don’t forget to join us next Wednesday when we’ll bring you all the action from Hampden Park where Scotland take on Sweden.

Sky Sports

Wednesday September 4, 2002

RK - Good evening and welcome to our Wednesday night international where we are at Hampden Park to see Scotland play Sweden in their Euro 2004 qualifying group. Andy - Berti had a good win in Albania in his first competitive match in charge. How do you see this one going?

AG - Well Richard, I know it’s early in the campaign but this is a massive match for Berti’s boys. If they can get something out of this it’ll be a big boost to their confidence and to their chances of qualification.

RK - What they wouldn’t give for a repeat of the Under 21’s result.

AG - You bet - a great 3-0 win for them last night. They dominated the match and Paul Di Giacomo, Keigan Parker and James McFadden all scored and if the Swedish keeper hadn’t played so well they would have had 5 or 6.

RK - Team news for tonight then Andy.

AG - The only change from the weekend is the replacement of Brian McAllister by Motherwell’s Andy Morrison.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Steven Hampshire Craig Dargo

Don Hutchison

Barry Ferguson Charlie Miller

Andy Morrison Paul Richie

Neil Sullivan</pre>

RK - Henrik Larsson is obviously the key danger man for the Swedes.

AG - For sure, he could do us a lot of damage if we’re not very careful.

RK - Final prediction?

AG - A draw, maybe 1-1 or 2-2.

RK - Thanks Andy. After a short break we’ll go straight to our commentary team at a very damp Hampden Park and Andy and I will be back with you at half time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 2

Half Time

Scotland 1 (Hutchison 27) Sweden 0

RK - A very even first half Andy but Don Hutchison giving Scotland a useful lead.

AG - All a bit cagey Richard and as you say, not much in it either way. Both sides started quite cautiously. Charlie Miller had a chance early on. Jackie McNamara with the cross and Miller does well to reach it but he can’t direct his header. Then on 25 minutes Larsson outjumps Richie at the corner but no real power on the header and Sullivan reaches it. Good hands though as the ball’s very slippery in these conditions. But Sullivan with the quick throw, finds Miller. Quick feet from the Rangers player and he gets in a good shot, skimming along the wet surface and Rami Shaaban does well to hold on to that. But here’s the goal now. Jackie McNamara making good progress on the right flank. Does ever so well to get his cross in. That’s great control from Hutchison and a lovely finish.

RK - How do you see the second half Andy?

AG - Well the Swedes have got to open the game up a bit now as they’ve got to find a goal from somewhere. Freddie Ljunberg has been very quiet so far but I expect him to see a lot more of the ball in the second half.

Thanks Jambo. Elvis has had a few injuries and also he has been out of favour at Hearts. But he will get a run out at some point though.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 2

Full Time

Scotland 2 (Hutchison 27, McNamara 89) Sweden 1 (Allback 76)

RK - Well Andy, that was a close run thing but the Scots did it in the end.

AG - What a finish Richard - full marks to the lads.

RK - But they had to withstand a lot of pressure from the Swedes.

AG - Didn’t they just. Here’s the first chance of the half. Larsson picks up the ball, beats Richie and a lovely bit of skill to get past Dailly. Unleashes a wonderful shot that just clips the bar and goes over. It’s Ljunberg now, great vision as he spots Neil Sullivan off his line but good footwork from the keeper and he just gets a fingertip to it. This is another dangerous move. It’s Jesper Blomqvist this time, skins McNamara and that’s a great ball in. He picks out Anders Svensson but he blasts his shot just over. He really should have got that on target. The two wingers combining now as Ljunberg puts in a low cross behind the defence. Blomqvist takes it first time and that’s world class from Sullivan - save of the night. But it’s Svensson with the corner and that’s a good header by Ljunberg, instinctive save by Sullivan and then he does really well to get down and smother the rebound. Now here’s the substitute Allback with a good header and that’s another great save by Sullivan.

RK - At this point a goal for Sweden was looking inevitable.

AG - And it came from Allback. He’s made a great start to the season with Aston Villa and he finished off a very neat passing move with an unstoppable shot, in off the underside of the bar.

RK - But Scotland weren’t done yet.

AG - No. This is a nice move. Naysmith finds Dailly, good ball to Hutchison. Threads it to McNamara who’s spotted Dargo’s run but the youngster’s closed down quickly and he can’t keep his shot on target. But quick thinking from Hutchison here as he latches on to a poor goal kick. Craig Winter is on for Charlie Miller and Don picks him out. Winter hits it early and he’s really unlucky to see it hit the post. Only seconds left now and Barry Ferguson makes that ball his. Sends it down the left hand channel for Naysmith to chase. The Everton man does really well to get that and he sends it in hard and low to the far post. And there’s Jackie McNamara to get the winner. He must have made up about 50 yards there - brilliant stuff. And that’s his first ever goal for Scotland.

RK - A great finish and three invaluable points for Scotland. Let’s take a look at the final statistics.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scotland Sweden

6 Shots on Goal 8

3 On Target 6

3 Off Target 2

1 Corners 4

4 Free Kicks 1

0 Offsides 2

0 Yellow Cards 0

0 Red Cards 0</pre>

RK - I believe that we can go over to Hampden Park now where Berti Wogts is talking to Clare Tomlinson.

CT - Berti, congratulations on a very valuable win - that’s two out of two in the group so far.

BW - Danke Claire. I am very happy mit der result und it gives us a very good feeling to have 6 points. It vas a hard game und the boys played good to get ze vin.

CT - Well done again Berti and thanks for taking the time to talk with us. I like the tartan scarf by the way.

BW - Ja, I vasn’t sure if it vas quite my colour but I zink zat it vorks vell mit zis tracksuit.

RK - In the other group match played tonight Albania had a shock 2-1 win in Israel, so after two games Scotland head the table.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 1

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Scotland 2 1 0 0 2 1 1 0 0 3 1 6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Sweden 2 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 1 2 3

3rd Albania 2 0 0 1 1 3 1 0 0 2 1 3

4th Israel 1 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 0

5th Ukraine 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2 0</pre>

RK - And Andy, your Man of the Match.

AG - Freddie Ljunberg had a great second half and was a real danger. Jackie McNamara worked tirelessly and scored the winning goal. But I’m going with Neil Sullivan. If it hadn’t been for him we would have lost this by 2 or 3 goals.

RK - Thanks Andy. And well done to Berti Wogts and his team for a great win. Don’t forget to join us for Scotland’s next match in the Ukraine on October 5th.

HD, I don't think he would fit but thanks for the suggestion icon_wink.gif

PM - Age, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. And in the same way that ugly people have an inner beauty, I have an inner youth icon_confused.gif Oh Christ - Craig Dargo did fit icon_eek.gif

Sky Sports

Saturday October 5, 2002

RK - Good afternoon and welcome to Sky Sports coverage of Scotland’s Euro 2004 qualifier against the Ukraine in Kiev. Andy Gray is with me in the studio as always to provide expert analysis of the game. How do you see this one going Andy?

AG - I think that this’ll be a hard game today Richard. Ukraine will be desperate for the win as they have lost their previous qualifying game and if they don’t get a result here then they’ll really be struggling to qualify.

RK - As we know, Scotland head the group currently - how do you think they’ll approach the game?

AG - They’ll want to keep it tight and not give away an early goal. If Shevchenko and Rebrov get the bit between their teeth they’ll take some stopping. Frankly, a point would be quite acceptable in this one.

RK - The Under 21’s had a great result last night.

AG - Aye that was a great win - 4-0 finally but the Ukraine did have two men sent off. Nevertheless, two goals from Paul Di Giacomo of Kilmarnock, a penalty from Ranger’s Rob Malcolm and a brilliant solo effort from Motherwell youngster James McFadden made for a great evening.

RK - Could you see the senior’s getting a similar result?

AG - Well we can dream, but no I can’t see that. As I say, a draw would be very satisfactory.

RK - OK, let’s take a look at the Scotland line up.

AG - Well, Steven Pressley and Gavin Rae have both been withdrawn because of injury and Dundee’s Barry Smith and young Southampton defender Robbie Neilson have been called up. Smith starts in central defence and gets his first cap whilst Craig Burley is preferred over Charlie Miller for this match. Berti opting for experience there.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Steven Hampshire Craig Dargo

Don Hutchison

Barry Ferguson Craig Burley

Barry Smith Paul Richie

Neil Sullivan</pre>

RK - Thanks Andy. After the break we’ll go straight to Kiev and Andy and I will rejoin you at half time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 3

Half Time

Ukraine 1 (Shevchenko 15) Scotland 0

RK - Well Scotland have had a bit of a torrid time in the first half Andy.

AG - No kidding Richard. We’re very lucky just to be one goal behind. We just haven’t been able to get into the game and we’ve looked none too solid at the back either. The first 15 minutes or so were quiet but then Ukraine scored with their first shot on target. Smalko makes a good run, holds off McNamara. That’s a decent cross but Paul Richie should have done a bit better there - it’s an easy header for Shevchenko and we’re 1-0 down. Two minutes later and it’s Shevchenko again with a run and shot but a good save from Sullivan. Now it's Smalko again, setting up Rebrov this time and I can’t believe that Neil Sullivan saved that - world class again. But look, we only half clear the corner and Zubov forces another great save from Sullivan. At this point we were in serious trouble. We just couldn’t get a grip at the back and Naysmith and Richie were floundering. So Berti brings on Matteo on the left, drops Dailly back into central defence and brings McInnes in to the holding position. Now that did make a difference. We tightened up quite a bit at the back but we still couldn’t deal with Shevchenko. Here he is again, makes himself half a yard and gets his shot away and that’s as good a save as you’ll ever see.

RK - So the Ukraine in the ascendancy and Scotland struggling. Do you see any way back into this game Andy?

AG - Absolutely - it’s only one goal after all. But we’re really gonna have to work much harder in midfield and close down the supply to Shevchenko at the source.

RK - Right then, time for a short break and then back to Kiev.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 3

Full Time

Ukraine 1 (Shevchenko 15) Scotland 0

RK - A better second half from the Scots Andy, but they couldn’t find an equaliser.

AG - It was better but to be honest, we didn’t really deserve any more than we got. We were outplayed for most of the match even though we created a few openings towards the end. But here’s just after the restart and Matteo makes a great tackle on Shevchenko but the ball breaks to Rebrov. He hits it first time and that’s yet another outstanding piece of goalkeeping. Here’s our first chance. Hutchison spots Hampshire’s run and that’s a slide rule pass into his path. Hit well by the youngster but a comfortable save in the end. But Ukraine get control again - we have got to keep hold of the ball better. It’s given away far too cheaply on occasions. It’s Tymoschuk this time with the shot - turned behind by Sullivan. Now look at this piece of skill. Parfenov I think it is, what a turn to get away from Ferguson and how about that for a shot. Sullivan had to make the save ‘cause that was bending inside the post. Funnily enough our best chances came late on. Ferguson with a nice turn, oh that was close, just the wrong side of the post. Ferguson again, picking up the loose ball and shooting from distance - only just over. Now Steven Thompson who has replaced Hampshire, did well to get his head to that but the keeper does well. It’s Thompson again as the corner’s only half cleared, oh snatched at it as the defenders closed him down.

RK - Who was choice for Man of the Match today Andy?

AG - Neil Sullivan had another outstanding game but I’m going with Andriy Shevchenko Richard. He was a constant menace and the Scottish defence just had no answer for him today.

RK - Now quicly over to Kiev for a word from Berti Wogts, talking to Geoff Shreeves.

GS - Berti, your first competitive defeat in charge - how do you feel.

BW - Zis vas a big disappointment but ve just did not play very well at all und maybe ver lucky just to lose by a goal. Although we almost get an equaliser at ze end of ze game.

GS - Well good luck in the remaining games Bertie. Nice tartan bunnet by the way.

BW - Danke Ian. I vould not normally vear a hat but zis is a much nice one I zink.

RK - A quick look at the stats now.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Ukraine Scotland

11 Shots on Goal 3

9 On Target 1

2 Off Target 2

5 Corners 1

5 Free Kicks 12

9 Offsides 2

1 Yellow Cards 1

0 Red Cards 0</pre>

RK - So a disappointing result for Scotland, and with Sweden having a comfortable 3-0 win at home over Israel, Group 1 now looks like this.

1st Sweden 3 2 0 0 5 0 0 0 1 1 2 6

2nd Scotland 3 1 0 0 2 1 1 0 1 3 2 6

3rd Albania 2 0 0 1 1 3 1 0 0 2 1 3

4th Ukraine 2 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 2 3

5th Israel 2 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 1 0 3 0</pre>

RK - Well that’s all from Andy and I but we’ll look forward to seeing you in the new year when Scotland’s qualifying campaign continues.

Sky Sports News

Wednesday October 9, 2002

And news of the qualifying matches played tonight in Scotland’s qualifying group. The Scots themselves were not in action but two matches were played. Albania held Sweden to a 0-0 draw in Tirana and the Ukraine held on for a 3-2 win against Israel in Tel-Aviv. Those results leave the group looking like this.

1st Sweden 4 2 0 0 5 0 0 1 1 1 2 7

2nd Scotland 3 1 0 0 2 1 1 0 1 3 2 6

3rd Ukraine 3 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 3 4 6

4th Albania 3 0 1 1 1 3 1 0 0 2 1 4

5th Israel 3 0 0 2 3 5 0 0 1 0 3 0</pre>

Sky Sports

Saturday March 22, 2003

RK - Good afternoon and welcome as Scotland’s qualifying campaign for Euro 2004 continues. This afternoon Israel visit Hampden Park and in 4 days time Albania will be here. Two crucial games for Scotland if they are to keep their momentum going Andy.

AG - Very much so Richard. I feel that we have to take maximum points from these two games otherwise we can probably forget about going to Portugal.

RK - So what do we know about Israel Andy?

AG - Well they’re bottom of the group having lost all three of their matches so far. I would think that the only familiar name to us in the UK would be Eyal Berkovic the Manchester City player.

RK - Now Scotland haven’t seen much action over the winter but they did have a friendly in Brussels back in November.

AG - Yes. The Under 21’s lost their first match since Berti has been in charge with a 2-1 defeat. Peter Canero opened the scoring but Belgium hit back with two goals to get the win in a tightly fought contest.

RK - The seniors did slightly better though.

AG - A 1-1 draw thanks to a Steven Hampshire equaliser late on after Belgium took an early lead. The Belgians had a man sent off but Scotland couldn’t take full advantage of the extra man. To be honest it really wasn’t the best of performances, but one positive was an excellent display from Robbie Neilson at right wingback. The 22-year-old can’t get a regular start at Southampton but he looked like a pretty decent player on this performance.

RK - Of course the Under 21’s were in action last night Andy and they had a very good win.

AG - Yes, they beat their Israeli counterparts 3-1. Israel took an early lead and held it until just after half time. Scotland really did pound them though and the win was no more than they deserved. Ross O’Donoghue scored twice in four minutes and captain Kevin McNaughton added a third. Some of the stalwarts of last season are now over the age limit but the newer players did very well.

RK - On to tonight’s match then Andy. What does the Scotland line up look like?

AG - The biggest surprise is the inclusion of 20-year-old midfielder Mark Kerr, promoted from the Under 21 side. He has been in outstanding form for Hibs this season and Berti’s now giving him a chance at senior level. The other surprise is that Lee Peacock is starting up front. He’s been banging in goals for fun at Bristol City and Berti gave him a run out in the B team last year. But he’s totally unproven at this level and it’s hard to tell how he’ll adjust. Berti has also included Wigan winger Gary Teale on the bench and he might just get a run out if the game is going well. McAllister and Smith play in the heart of defence. This is a problem position for Berti and he doesn’t yet seem to have found a central defensive paring that he likes. Robbie Nielson keeps his place at left wingback after impressing against Belgium.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Lee Peacock Craig Dargo

Don Hutchison

Barry Ferguson Mark Kerr

Robbie Nielson Christian Dailly Jackie McNamara

Barry Smith Brian McAllister

Neil Sullivan</pre>

RK - Thanks Andy. Now over to our commentary team at Hampden and Andy and I will be back at half time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 4

Half Time

Scotland 1 (Dargo 17) Israel 0

RK - Not a bad first half for Scotland Andy but just the one goal to show for it.

AG - Well, Israel have come here to defend. They’re getting men behind the ball, defending deep and making it very difficult to break them down. Scotland have had plenty of possession but haven’t shown the inventiveness required. The goal was a pure piece of opportunism by Craig Dargo. See here as this move breaks down, the youngster is quick to pick up the loose ball and he unleashes an unstoppable shot - the keeper had no chance. But there were very few clear chances. Here’s one of the few that we had. As the free kick from Kerr comes in Peacock gets up well and Christian Dailly of all people chances his luck with a good volley and it needed the save. Then just before half time, a lovely bit of interplay between Dargo and Kerr gives Peacock the header but that’s well dealt with by the keeper.

RK - Do you see any changes being made at half time?

AG - I’d like to see Mark Kerr getting the ball a bit more as he looks like he could be capable of showing the flair required to break down this stubborn defence.

RK - Well thanks Andy. And we’ll go back to Hampden immediately after the break.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 4

Full Time

Scotland 3 (Dargo 17, Kerr 68, Teale 79) Israel 0

RK - A much better performance from the Scots in the second half then Andy.

AG - It was like night and day Richard. Much more positive and effective. Berti must have had a bit of a go at half time because they came out fired up and took the game to the Israelis straight away.

RK - Berti made one change at half time with Dominic Matteo coming on for Brian McAllister.

AG - Well, even though Israel hardly threatened Brian just never looked comfortable out there, although Barry Smith had a solid game.

RK - And as you suggested Andy, Mark Kerr proved to be very influential.

AG - He did indeed. But let’s take a look at the key moments again. With Israel offering virtually no threat as an attacking force, Christian Dailly had some freedom to venture forward. This is a good run here. He looks up, doesn’t see anyone available in the box so he has a dip himself and the keeper has to get down sharply. It’s Dailly again, slips it to Neilson who sends in a good cross. Mark Kerr with a wonderful volley that smashes off the bar. Just look at that technique - he controlled it so well. Now Jackie McNamara having a shot but the keeper not unduly worried. Here it’s Dailly again bringing the ball forward. But the problem is Richard that the marking is so tight that he can’t find a free man so he has to try a shot from distance again. It’s a fair effort mind you and the keeper really had to stretch for that one. Now here’s the goal coming up. Barry Ferguson had a fairly quiet night but he does well here. That’s a determined run and he picks out McNamara really well. That’s a peach of a cross and look who’s running in - Mark Kerr. Great header - keeper doesn’t move. A couple of minutes later and Kerr lines up the free kick. That’s really well placed but just not enough power to beet the keeper.

RK - Gary Teale made a bit of an impact when he came on Andy.

AG - He sure did. He replaced Ferguson and it didn’t take him long to make a name for himself. This was probably the best move of the match actually. That’s a strong header out of defence by Matteo and Peacock latches on to it very quickly. He beats his man beautifully and that’s a perfectly weighted ball to Hutchison. Great ball in and there’s Teale on the end of it with a well placed header for a goal on his debut. And right at the end Mark Kerr almost made it four but the keeper denied him again.

RK - So all in all a very solid performance, some excellent debuts and three points in the bag. Now I believe that we can join Claire Tomlinson at Hampden talking to Berti Wogts.

CT - Berti, congratulations. A good win and three more points in the bank.

BW - Danke Claire. Ve had to vork very hard for ze points but I zink zat in ze second half we were very good indeed.

CT - Some encouraging performances from the new players too.

BW - It is of course a team game you know, und I don’t vant to single out individuals. It vas a good team display and zat is vat is important.

CT - Thanks again for talking with us Berti. Is that a pair of tartan socks you’re wearing Berti.

BW - Ja indeed. Zey are quite ze fashion statement, nein?

RK - So a quick look at the final stats then.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scotland Israel

13 Shots on Goal 0

11 On Target 0

2 Off Target 0

4 Corners 0

3 Free Kicks 2

0 Offsides 0

0 Yellow Cards 1

0 Red Cards 0</pre>

RK - Your choice for Man of the Match Andy?

AG - Robbie Neilson had another good game at wingback but I think that, even though he didn’t score, Lee Peacock is my decision. He was full of running and always very positive - an excellent debut.

RK - Just checking the other game in Group 1 and I see that Ukraine beat Albania 2-1 in Kiev. So the Group 1 table looks like this.

1st Scotland 4 2 0 0 5 1 1 0 1 3 2 9

2nd Ukraine 4 2 0 0 3 1 1 0 1 3 4 9

3rd Sweden 4 2 0 0 5 0 0 1 1 1 2 7

4th Albania 4 0 1 1 1 3 1 0 1 3 3 4

5th Israel 4 0 0 2 3 5 0 0 2 0 6 0</pre>

RK - That must make happy reading for Berti and his team. Congratulations to them on a good win and we hope to see you all on Wednesday night when they take on Albania at Hampden Park.

Sky Sports

Wednesday March 26, 2003

RK - Good evening everybody and welcome to Sky Sports coverage of Scotland’s Euro 2004 qualifier against Albania at Hampden Park. Berti’s boys will be hoping to maintain the form they showed at the weekend when they defeated Israel and keep up their strong challenge for qualification. What are your thoughts on this one Andy?

AG - Well Albania really need to win if they are to have any realistic chance of qualifying so I think that this will be a hard match for Scotland. I can’t imagine that they’ll be as negative as Israel were on Saturday so we have to be careful. If we over-commit ourselves we could easily be caught on the break.

RK - The Under 21’s had another good win last night Andy.

AG - Yes, they won 2-1 but it could easily have been more. Darren Fletcher and Mark Fotheringham scored either side of half time and although Albania pulled a goal back in the second half the boys never looked like losing.

RK - What’s the team news for tonight’s game Andy?

AG - Alan Johnston comes in for Barry Ferguson and Iain Nicolson of Dundee gets his first cap in the centre of defence. Berti is still tinkering with his defensive pairing here. Apart from that the side’s unchanged, with Mark Kerr keeping his staring place.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Lee Peacock Craig Dargo

Don Hutchison

Alan Johnston Mark Kerr

Robbie Nielson Christian Dailly Jackie McNamara

Barry Smith Iain Nicolson

Neil Sullivan</pre>

RK - Thanks Andy. We’ll go straight over to Hampden Park now and Andy and I will be back at half time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 5

Half Time

Scotland 1 (Peacock 31) Albania 0

RK - Well that was quite some 45 minutes Andy.

AG - I need a minute to get my breath back Richard.

RK - The sending off - a harsh decision?

AG - I think so. Let’s have another look at it. This is right at the start of the game and it’s Vata coming forward with the ball, knocks it past Smith and down he goes. There was definite contact but Vata certainly made the most of it. The referee reaches into his pocket and you’re thinking "Yellow card, Smith will have to be careful now" and he shows the red! Scotland down to 10 men after just 3 minutes. Now Berti’s got a problem here. Does he take off an attacker and bring on Matteo in defence? But no, he decides to stay positive and has Dailly drop back into defence. Brave decision and it’s paid off so far.

RK - As you say Andy, a brave decision.

AG - And the right decision I think. We have to go for the win here.

RK - Some good moments for the Scots though.

AG - Yes, let’s take a look. This is a lovely early ball from Kerr, Hutchison gets up really well and the keeper has to scramble to make the save. But now Albania coming forward through Vata again. He was a really awkward customer in the first half, but very eager to go to ground. He tangles here with Dailly and wins the free kick. That’s well struck but no real problem for Sullivan. Here’s the lead up to the goal. This is a lovely bit of control by Peacock to set up Hutchison but the keeper manages to touch it round the post. The corner is swung in by Johnston and that’s a great leap by Peacock and a smashing header. What a nice way to open your account for your country. This was a key moment here. It’s Vata again, trying to get past Dailly and he’s scythed down. Huge appeal from the Albanians but the ref decides it was just on the edge of the area. After his early decision against Smith I think that Christian is lucky to stay on the pitch as it’s just a yellow card. Here’s a good chance for Craig Dargo. That’s a good ball in from Neilson, Dargo unmarked, he really should have done better there.

RK - Albania survived a strong penalty appeal right at the end of the half.

AG - That might be a very expensive decision actually. That’s a great flick from Kerr and Hutchison takes it on the run, powers into the area and that’s a blatant foul by the defender. He’s taken the legs from under him and the ref waves play on.

RK - So, thoughts on the second half Andy.

AG - More of the same I think. I’m sure that we’ll need at least one more goal to be safe as, playing with ten men you’re always vulnerable.

RK - Thanks Andy. And now back to Hampden Park and we’ll see you at full time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 5

Full Time

Scotland 2 (Peacock 31, 71) Albania 1 (Tare 58)

RK - Well it was a close run thing but they got there in the end.

AG - But Richard, the qualifying campaign is all about results. The only thing that counts are the points on the board - it doesn’t matter how you get them.

RK - Let’s have a look at the Albanian goal.

AG - Neil Sullivan is pretty unlucky here Richard. That is a terrific shot from Kola and Neil does brilliantly to get a hand to it. But we were a bit static at the back and Tare nipped in first for an easy tap in.

RK - But then that man Peacock did it again.

AG - And how. Mark Kerr with great vision to spot Peacock’s run, that’s a nice piece of control and a super finish.

RK - Even with ten men, the win should have been more comfortable.

AG - Absolutely. I lost count of the number of chances Craig Dargo had and he just couldn’t seem to hit the target.

RK - Thoughts overall?

AG - A win’s a win Richard. It was a good performance with ten men but I thought that the referee was over-fussy and really ruined the game.

RK - Your Man of the Match Andy?

AG - No doubt about this one - Lee Peacock.

RK - Let’s see the statistics now.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scotland Albania

11 Shots on Goal 6

6 On Target 3

5 Off Target 3

3 Corners 0

9 Free Kicks 10

3 Offsides 6

3 Yellow Cards 2

1 Red Cards 0</pre>

RK - I believe that we can go over to Claire Tomlinson for a few words from Berti Wogts.

CT - Another win under your belt Berti, but you had to work hard for that one.

BW - It vas a much good vin in ze circumstances Claire. I vas very sad about ze quite poor refereeing but zat is sometimes what you haff now. We deserved full points and I am pleased for the team tonight.

CT - And a great performance from 2-goal hero Lee Peacock.

BW - Lee did very good but zen so did all of the boys.

CT - Well done again Berti. Nice tartan waistcoat by the way.

BW - You don’t zink zat it is a little too loose? Herr Vogts is a bit more big around ze vaist zan me.

RK - There’s more good news from Kiev tonight as we hear that the Ukraine lost 1-0 to Sweden and Scotland are now 2 points clear at the top.

1st Scotland 5 3 0 0 7 2 1 0 1 3 2 12

2nd Sweden 5 2 0 0 5 0 1 1 1 2 2 10

3rd Ukraine 5 2 0 1 3 2 1 0 1 3 4 9

4th Albania 5 0 1 1 1 3 1 0 2 4 5 4

5th Israel 4 0 0 2 3 5 0 0 2 0 6 0</pre>

AG - That’s a bonny sight Richard but there’s still a lot of work to be done. The trip to Stockholm in June will be critical and after that the Ukraine come to Hampden. Two good results there and we’ve got a real chance.

RK - And don’t forget out there that you can see all of the action from Scotland’s remaining matches right here on Sky Sports.

Sky Sports

Wednesday June 4, 2003

RK - Good evening and welcome to Sky Sports coverage of Scotland’s showdown against Sweden in Stockholm. Andy - a big game for the Scots.

AG - A massive game Richard. I honestly feel that this is the single most important game in the group, especially given the current positions.

RK - Why is it so important?

AG - In my opinion whoever wins this game is in pole position to win the group. If Scotland lose then their next match against the Ukraine will almost certainly decide who finishes second. If it’s a draw then it throws the whole group wide open.

RK - So what’s the team news for tonight then.

AG - There’s a big surprise in the centre of defence as Berti is going with the untried pairing of Steven Pressley and Lee Wilkie. Pressley moved from Hearts to Dunfermline this season in search of first team football and has got himself back in the squad. Young Wilkie has had a fine season at Dundee but at 23 he lacks top class experience and he might really struggle against the quality of the Swedish forwards tonight. Derek Mcinnes is preferred to Christian Dailly as the defensive midfielder. Ferguson and Kerr play together in midfield and up front we have the two Stevies - Hampshire and Crawford.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Steven Hampshire Stephen Crawford

Don Hutchison

Barry Ferguson Mark Kerr

Robbie Nielson Derek McInnes Jackie McNamara

Lee Wilkie Steven Pressley

Neil Sullivan</pre>

RK - Just before we go over to the commentary team, a quick word about the Under 21’s last night.

AG - Well Richard, they had another good win, Stephen Pearson getting the only goal in a 1-0 victory.

RK - Well, let’s hope that the seniors can repeat that scoreline tonight. So now it’s over to Stockholm and we’ll see you all at half time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 6

Half Time

Sweden 0 Scotland 0

RK - Not much to chose between the two teams in a very tight first half Andy.

AG - No, but I have to say that Scotland had the better of the half in terms of chances. Rami Shaaban has definitely been the busier of the two keepers.

RK - Let’s take a lot at the key moments.

AG - This is quite early on and Jackie McNamara does well to hold off the challenge here. He goes for the shot and that’s an excellent stop by Shaaban. This is Zetterberg showing McInnes a clean pair of heels and that’s a good cross but Larsson can’t keep his header on target. And now a free kick to Scotland in quite a dangerous position. McInnes sends the ball in and that’s a nice header from Kerr and another good save. This is Kerr again - nice footwork from the Hibs player to create room for the shot and Shaaban beats the ball away. Sweden had a fair amount of possession but Scotland did well to deny them time on the ball. This is there only real chance coming up. Blomqvist leaves McNamara for dead there and that’s a dangerous ball to the near post. Allback with a good header but Sullivan makes the save.

RK - Will Scotland regret not converting one of their chances?

AG - Well that’s often the way of things Richard and that may well be the case tonight. But I’m sure that Berti will be telling the players to keep playing as they are and don’t lose concentration.

RK - Thanks Andy. We have a short break now and then back to Stockholm. We’ll see you at full time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 6

Full Time

Sweden 1 (Blomqvist 57) Scotland 0

RK - Andy, your thoughts on the second half?

AG - It could have gone either way Richard and it was Sweden that got that little bit of luck to win the game.

RK - It was a well-constructed goal though.

AG - It was but I’m sure that the Scottish defence will still be a bit annoyed with themselves for conceding. Sweden had a few chances early on. Larsson came very close with a great shot but it just clips the bar. Then Daniel Andersson sets up Freddie Ljungberg but Sullivan does well to get a hand to his shot. Here’s the goal now. Larsson with a controlled layoff to Zetterberg who sends in a real teasing ball behind the defence and there’s Blomqvist to finish it off.

RK - Scotland came close to getting back into it though.

AG - Yes, they didn’t let their heads go down. Here’s Don Hutchison getting the ball from McInnes. A first time shot and that’s an awfully good save by the keeper to put it behind for the corner. Gary Teale is brought on for Hutchison and he plays the corner in. Steven Pressley climbs well there and that’s a great header back across goal that hits the inside of the post and into the keeper’s arms. But they nearly got caught on the break here as Sweden make a quick counter. Larsson the provider this time but Zetterberg’s header is claimed by Sullivan. Just minutes from time now and Robbie Neilson makes a good run down the right. That’s a nice cross to pick out Crawford but the Keeper’s there again.

RK - So a disappointing result for the Scots.

AG - Very disappointing - I really feel that a draw would have been a fair reflection of the balance of play, but it wasn’t to be.

RK - We can see that the statistics reflect the closeness of the game.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Sweden Scotland

10 Shots on Goal 7

5 On Target 6

5 Off Target 1

4 Corners 4

7 Free Kicks 10

8 Offsides 0

1 Yellow Cards 4

0 Red Cards 0</pre>

RK - Who would you pick out as Man of the Match Andy?

AG - I think that it’s got to be Swedish keeper Rami Shaaban. He pulled off half a dozen excellent saves tonight and thanks to him Sweden now have a great chance of automatic qualification.

RK - We’re going to head to Stockholm briefly where Geoff Shreeves is talking to Berti Wogts.

GS - Berti, a narrow defeat there. A bit unlucky would you say?

BW - Ja very unlucky I zink. We haff at least deserved a draw but ze Swedish goalie he had different ideas.

GS - This makes a dent in your hopes of automatic qualification doesn’t it?

BW - Indeed. It vill be much hard to be first in ze group now but of course ve can still make a playoff place.

GS - Berti, thanks very much for taking the time to talk with us. By the way, I don’t think I’ve seen tartan gloves before - very unusual.

RK - In the other match in Group 1 tonight Israel picked up their first point as they held Albania to a scoreless draw in Tel-Aviv. That leaves the table looking like this.

1st Sweden 6 3 0 0 6 0 1 1 1 2 2 13

2nd Scotland 6 3 0 0 7 2 1 0 2 3 3 12

3rd Ukraine 5 2 0 1 3 2 1 0 1 3 4 9

4th Albania 6 0 2 1 1 3 1 0 2 4 5 5

5th Israel 5 0 0 2 3 5 0 1 2 0 6 1</pre>

RK - It’s still very tight Andy.

AG - Very tight Richard. But Sweden must now be favourites to win the group with their final two matches against Israel and Albania. It means that Scotland’s next game at home to the Ukraine in August is now vital - a defeat there will almost certainly eliminate us, assuming that the Ukraine can beat Albania and Israel in their other games.

RK - Well that certainly promises to be an enthralling encounter and you can see the whole match live here on Sky Sport. Thanks for watching and goodnight.

I don't know if Berti agrees with you HD but time will tell

Sky Sports

Saturday August 30, 2003

RK - Good afternoon everyone and welcome to Sky Sports as we bring you live and exclusive coverage of Scotland’s crucial Euro 2004 qualifier against the Ukraine. Andy, this is a must-win game for the Scots isn’t it?

AG - Absolutely Richard. If we don’t take maximum points here then we would almost certainly miss out on a playoff place.

RK - What’s the latest team news?

AG - Well Jackie McNamara and Colin Cameron have both withdrawn because of injury and Derek McInnes is suspended following his booking in their last match against Sweden. Berti is going with yet another defensive pairing of Barry Smith of Dundee and young Phil McGuire of Aberdeen who gets his first senior cap. Another debutant is Kiegan Parker, who was transferred from St. Johnstone to Rangers in the summer, and he starts behind the front two instead of Don Hutchison.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Stephen Crawford Lee Peacock

Kiegan Parker

Barry Ferguson Mark Kerr

Gary Naysmith Christian Dailly(cpt) Robbie Neilson

Barry Smith Phil McGuire

Neil Sullivan</pre>

RK - Once again the seniors would be glad to emulate the Under 21’s.

AG - They certainly would. The youngsters had a great 3-0 win last night with Paul Shields of Celtic, Gavin Beith from Dundee and Kilmarnock’s Paul Di Giacomo getting the goals.

RK - Final thoughts Andy.

AG - Well Berti has gone with an adventurous team selection with several younger players being given a chance. I want to see Scotland take the game to the Ukraine and be as positive as possible without being reckless.

RK - And the result?

AG - I really think that we can get the win - 2-0 would be my prediction.

RK - Well I hope you’re right. So let’s take a short break and then go straight to the action. We’ll be back here in the studio at half time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 7

Half Time

Scotland 4 (Parker 14, 21, McGuire 15, Kerr 20) Ukraine 1 (Shyschenko 24)

RK - Well Andy, what an extraordinary 45 minutes!

AG - Unbelievable Richard. I’ve only just got my breath back - 4 goals in 7 minutes, am I dreaming?

RK - No, it’s for real Andy. Just talk us through the action.

AG - It was actually a fairly quiet start but the Ukraine had the first sniff of goal. Rebrov crosses but Shevchenko can’t keep his header down. And then all hell broke loose. Here’s the first goal. Kerr picks it up from Dailly. That’s a great turn to make the space. He spots Parker’s run and plays the pass to perfection. The keeper comes for it but Parker nips in first and it’s 1-0. Scotland get it back straight from the kick-off and win the corner. Ferguson whips it in and there’s Phil McGuire with a strong header - 2-0. The keeper maybe should have come for that but he stayed on his line. Five minutes later and there’s a free kick in a dangerous position. Ferguson plays it in and it’s only half cleared. Crawford picks it up but he can’t get past the defender and the ball breaks back to Ferguson. Quick thinking there as he spots Kerr and that’s a slide rule pass. Kerr controls it with one touch and slips it under the keeper as he comes out. 3-0. Now let’s see the fourth ‘cause this is a peach. McGuire and Dailly work it out of defence - that’s neat passing. It goes to Kerr who finds Parker. Strong running from the youngster and watch this skill. Lovely one-two with Peacock and Parker’s clean through. Great finish low to the keeper’s left. 4-0 and 21 minutes on the clock.

RK - Ukraine did pull a goal back though.

AG - A goal out of nowhere really. Shyschenko must be 30 yards out and that’s an absolute piledriver.

RK - And both teams had further chances.

AG - Yes, this is nice interplay with Peacock and Parker and he’s not far from his hat trick there. The shot slips just past the post with the keeper stranded. And Neil Sullivan has made a couple of smart saves from Zubov and Shevchenko just before half time.

RK - So much to talk about. But we have to take a short break and then go back to Hampden for the second half. See you at full time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 7

Full Time

Scotland 5 (Parker 14, 21, McGuire 15, Kerr 20, Crawford 83) Ukraine 1 (Shyschenko 24)

RG - A much quieter second half Andy.

AG - I think that was inevitable after such an incredible first half.

RK - There were still a couple of talking points though.

AG - Yes. Firstly the Ukraine had Tymoschuk sent off after he received two yellow cards. The second booking looked a bit harsh to me I must admit. Shevchenko and Rebrov kept Sullivan on his toes with a couple of good efforts near the end and of course Stevie Crawford added a 5th goal for Scotland.

RK - Let’s take a quick look at that one.

AG - By this time the Ukraine were a man short and their heads had dropped a bit. Crawford plays a nice one-two with Peacock and sets off on a run. Gets past two defenders and smashes home a great shot.

RK - The news from Tel-Aviv is that a Marcus Allback goal 5 minutes from time has given them a 3-2 win. We can see from the table that the Swedes are now guaranteed a playoff place at worst. Scotland now need just a point in Tel-Aviv in October to ensure that they at least make the playoffs.

1st Pl Sweden 7 3 0 0 6 0 2 1 1 5 4 16

2nd Scotland 7 4 0 0 12 3 1 0 2 3 3 15

3rd Ukraine 6 2 0 1 3 2 1 0 2 4 9 9

4th Albania 6 0 2 1 1 3 1 0 2 4 5 5

5th Israel 6 0 0 3 5 8 0 1 2 0 6 1</pre>

RK - I believe that we can go over to Claire Tomlinson at Hampden for a few words from Berti Wogts.

CT - Congratulations Berti, that was a fabulous win today..

BW - Danke Claire. I am not quite believing the score myself. I zink zat maybe we were helped by ze Ukraine goalie a little but it vas still a great result for the boys.

CT - The playoff place looks like a real possibility now.

BW - Oh it is for sure a strong chance.

CT - Well done again Berti. Nice tartan jacket you’re wearing there.

BW - Zank you - it is not too loud you zink?

RK - Let’s take a quick look at the stats.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Scotland Ukraine

10 Shots on Goal 6

6 On Target 4

4 Off Target 2

4 Corners 1

14 Free Kicks 7

1 Offsides 9

1 Yellow Cards 2

0 Red Cards 1</pre>

RK - Any doubt about your Man of the Match Andy?

AG - Got to be Kiegan Parker isn’t it. Two goals on his debut, what more can you say. Although Barry Ferguson ran him close - he was a very influential figure out there today.

RK - Final thoughts before we go?

AG - Well as Berti said, Lavrentsov didn’t look to clever in goal in the first half and when Reva replaced him at half time the Ukraine did look more solid at the back. But let’s not take anything away from a super Scottish performance.

RK - Absolutely. So that’s about all from us now but don’t miss Scotland’s final qualifier in Israel in October - live an exclusive on Sky Sports.

Sky Sports News

Wednesday September 3, 2003

And here are the results of the games played tonight in Scotland’s qualifying group for Euro 2004. Sweden had a comfortable 4-1 win over Albania in Stockholm to guarantee that they will finish as group winners. The Ukraine had a narrow 1-0 win over Israel in Kiev to keep their hopes of a playoff place alive. Those results leave the group looking like this.

1st Q Sweden 8 4 0 0 10 1 2 1 1 5 4 19

2nd Scotland 7 4 0 0 12 3 1 0 2 3 3 15

3rd Ukraine 7 3 0 1 4 2 1 0 2 4 9 12

4th Albania 7 0 2 1 1 3 1 0 3 5 9 5

5th Israel 7 0 0 3 5 8 0 1 3 0 7 1</pre>

Sky Sports

Saturday October 4, 2003

RK - Good afternoon and welcome to Sky Sports coverage of Scotland’s final match in their Euro 2004 qualifying campaign. Today the Scots face Israel in Tel-Aviv knowing that a draw will be enough to guarantee them a second place finish in their group and a place in the playoffs. What are your initial thoughts on the match Andy?

AG - You’re right that a draw would certainly get us into the playoffs, but it’s still possible for us to secure automatic qualification. There’s a rather complex qualification system whereby the three second placed teams with the best record compared to the other runners-up will qualify automatically. Let’s take a quick look at how that stands currently.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Second Placed Teams

1st Scotland 6 3 0 0 9 3 1 0 2 3 3 12

2nd Czech Republic 6 3 0 0 7 0 1 0 2 4 5 12

3rd Germany 6 2 1 0 8 1 1 1 1 6 3 11

4th Russia 5 1 0 2 3 3 2 0 0 3 1 9

5th Ireland 5 1 1 1 6 3 1 1 0 3 2 8

6th Greece 6 1 2 0 6 4 1 0 2 4 6 8

7th Belarus 5 1 0 1 4 5 1 1 1 8 4 7

8th Iceland 6 2 0 1 7 4 0 0 3 0 5 6

9th Finland 5 1 0 1 5 3 0 1 2 4 7 4</pre>

AG - As you can see, Scotland currently head that table. It’s made more complicated by the fact that some of the qualifying groups have 5 teams whilst others have 6, so only the games against the 1st, 3rd and 4th placed teams count. There are various permutations here but it’s quite possible that we might make it to Portugal without going through the playoffs. The key game could be Russia’s trip to Slovenia as neither the Czech Republic or Germany can improve their positions.

RK - Well let’s hope that the results go Scotland’s way. So, your thoughts on the team selection.

AG - Berti is going with almost the same team that played so well against the Ukraine at the end of August. There is one enforced change as Phil McGuire hasn’t fully recovered from injury so Dominic Matteo comes into the centre of defence.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Stephen Crawford Lee Peacock

Kiegan Parker

Barry Ferguson Mark Kerr

Gary Naysmith Christian Dailly(Cpt) Robbie Neilson

Barry Smith Dominic Matteo

Neil Sullivan</pre>

RK - For once the seniors will be hoping to improve over the Under 21’s result.

AG - Yes. The match last night ended in a 1-all draw thanks to a stoppage time equaliser by Shaun Maloney. But I have to say Richard that the result was a bit of a travesty of justice. Scotland hit the woodwork twice, had a goal disallowed for a very dubious offside decision and had a very strong penalty appeal turned down. They dominated the game and really deserved a better result.

RK - How do you expect the game to go?

AG - Well, I hope that Scotland will be positive and go for the win. It would be a very dangerous strategy to even think about playing for a draw. I full believe that we’ll get a result.

RK - Thanks Andy, and we’ll go straight over to Tel-Aviv after this short break. See you all at half time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 8

Half Time

Israel 0 Scotland 0

RK - Well Andy, do you have any idea why it’s still nil-nil?

AG - Amazing isn’t it. It’s just the opposite of the Ukraine game. There every effort seemed to find the back of the net but not here.

RK - Scotland have had so many chances.

AG - They have, and I really hope that we’re not going to regret not taking them.

RK - Let’s quickly look at the highlights, there’s a lot of them.

AG - I’ll better talk quickly then! Scotland really hit the ground running and were at the Israelis straight from the kick off. Here’s Naysmith making ground down the left, gets his cross in, Parker with the header and Davidovic just fingertips it for a corner. Ferguson with the corner, good header from Dailly but blocked by the defender. It falls to Parker but his shot’s blocked. He does well to get to the rebound but that’s good hands by the keeper. Now Kerr frees Naysmith, great far post ball, smashing header by Peacock but Davidovic gets a finger to it. Ferguson with the corner, Parker with the header but it hits the defender - I don’t think he knew much about that. Matteo on to the loose ball but the keeper does well to smother at his feet. Ferguson now, looking very positive, and that’s a great swerving shot but what a save. Just before half time now and it’s Kerr with a well struck free kick but the keeper just gets there. Ferguson with the corner, Crawford with a point blank header but off a defender again and out for another corner. Ferguson flights it in, Kerr with the knock down but Davidovic just beats Matteo to it.

RK - They’re just not getting the breaks Andy.

AG - No, but I hope that they’ll stay positive and just keep playing football. I’m sure that the breakthrough will come eventually.

RK - Do you see any changes at half time.

AG - I wouldn’t think so - we’ve had enough chances and I don’t see that Berti has to mix things around just yet.

RK - OK Andy, we’ll go back to Tel-Aviv and see you at full time.

Euro 2004 Qualifying Game 8

Full Time

Israel 0 Scotland 2 (Paecock 52, Ferguson 56)

RK - Well Andy, you were dead right. You said that the goals would come and they did. But not before Scotland got a fright.

AG - True. Israel did create a good chance almost straight from the restart. A slight lack of concentration here as Benayoun is allowed to get his cross in. Gershon gets there before Naysmith and Neil Sullivan does really well to get a hand to that and Ferguson gets back to clear.

RK - But the breakthrough came just a few minutes later.

AG - It did. Once again Gary Naysmith found space to get a cross in and this time the header hits the net. We can see it now. It’s a good cross to the far post and there’s Peacock to head home.

RK - But then the Mark Kerr injury.

AG - He just seemed to turn awkwardly but you can see that he’s in a lot of discomfort so on comes Charlie Miller.

RK - Just in time to set up the second goal.

AG - Excellent timing wasn’t it. It’s Parker picking up the loose ball and that’s well weighted to find Miller. Great cushioned knockdown into Ferguson’s path and that’s what you call an emphatic finish. I was absolutely delighted for Barry Ferguson. He had a really good game, full of running and lots of intelligent passing.

RK - And there could have been more goals.

AG - There sure could. Keigan Parker hit the post and Charlie Miller had a couple of good efforts well saved.

RK - And at the other end Israel hit the bar late on.

AG - Yeah, but I think that Sullivan had it covered!

RK - Now confirmation of the score from Albania - the Ukraine have won 1-0 and that means that the final Group 1 table looks like this.

1st Sweden 8 4 0 0 10 1 2 1 1 5 4 19

2nd Scotland 8 4 0 0 12 3 2 0 2 5 3 18

3rd Ukraine 8 3 0 1 4 2 2 0 2 5 9 15

4th Albania 8 0 2 2 1 4 1 0 3 5 9 5

5th Israel 8 0 0 4 5 10 0 1 3 0 7 1</pre>

RK - And I’m just hearing some great news from Slovenia. Their game with Russia has finished 1-1 and that means that Scotland have qualified.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Second Placed Teams

1st Q Scotland 6 3 0 0 9 3 1 0 2 3 3 12

2nd Q Czech Republic 6 3 0 0 7 0 1 0 2 4 5 12

3rd Q Germany 6 2 1 0 8 1 1 1 1 6 3 11

4th Ireland 6 1 1 1 6 3 2 1 0 6 4 11

5th Belarus 6 2 0 1 7 6 1 1 1 8 4 10

6th Russia 6 1 0 2 3 3 2 1 0 4 2 10

7th Greece 6 1 2 0 6 4 1 0 2 4 6 8

8th Finland 6 2 0 1 9 3 0 1 2 4 7 7

9th Norway 6 2 0 1 5 2 0 0 3 1 8 6</pre>

AG - Ah that’s a marvellous achievement for Berti and the boys - well done fellas.

RK - And just before we go over to Tel-Aviv we’ll have a quick look at the match statistics.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Israel Scotland

4 Shots on Goal 16

1 On Target 9

3 Off Target 7

0 Corners 7

10 Free Kicks 9

5 Offsides 7

1 Yellow Cards 0

0 Red Cards 0</pre>

RK - Now, over to Tel-Aviv where Geoff Shreeves is waiting to talk to Berti Wogts.

GS - Berti, congratulations on the win. Have you heard the news from Slovenia yet?

BW - Ja, ve haff just been told of ze result und it means zat we go to Portugal, ja?

GS - It certainly does Berti. That’s a wonderful achievement for you.

BW - Why zank you but it is ze players who have done it, not me. Zey are ze ones who haff made the very good play to get us qualified.

GS - Well congratulations once again on a great achievement. Very smart tartan trews by the way.

BW - I am liking them very much but you don’t zink zey are a little short? Herr Vogts is much less in ze legs zan what I am.

RK - Well Andy, a great afternoon for Scottish football.

AG - You’re not wrong there Richard. Now I’m off to book my flights to Portugal.

RK - Now don’t forget viewers that there will be full coverage of all the matches in Euro 2004 right here on Sky Sports. Andy and I will of course be back with you during the crucial playoff games in November.

Sky Sports

Saturday November 8, 2003

RK - Good afternoon everyone and welcome to our coverage of the Euro 2004 playoff matches. Andy, relief for you that Scotland managed to qualify automatically and avoid the tension of the playoffs?

AG - Very much so Richard. I don’t know that I would have had any fingernails left otherwise.

RK - Before we look at the playoffs themselves let’s take a few moments to look at how the groups finished and who has already qualified.

AG - Good idea Richard. Well Group 1, as we already know, featured Scotland and here’s how it finished.

1st Q Sweden 8 4 0 0 10 1 2 1 1 5 4 19

2nd Q SCOTLAND 8 4 0 0 12 3 2 0 2 5 3 18

3rd Ukraine 8 3 0 1 4 2 2 0 2 5 9 15

4th Albania 8 0 2 2 1 4 1 0 3 5 9 5

5th Israel 8 0 0 4 5 10 0 1 3 0 7 1</pre>

AG - So Sweden and Scotland the automatic qualifiers there. There was very little to choose between the two and the crucial game was the 1-0 defeat in Stockholm back in June. And the high point for Scotland was undoubtedly the 5-1 win over the Ukraine at Hampden in August.

RK - And in Group 2 Spain had a very easy passage.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 2

1st Q Spain 10 5 0 0 10 1 5 0 0 14 2 30

2nd Pl Finland 10 4 0 1 14 3 2 1 2 9 9 19

3rd Turkey 10 4 0 1 12 3 1 0 4 5 12 15

4th N.IRELAND 10 3 1 1 7 5 1 1 3 1 7 14

5th Latvia 10 2 1 2 7 10 0 0 5 0 9 7

6th Faroe Islands 10 1 0 4 2 8 0 0 5 1 13 3</pre>

AG - You can say that again Richard. Ten wins out of ten, 24 goals scored and only 3 conceded. Finland took the runners-up spot thanks mainly to their excellent home form. They beat Turkey 4-0 in Helsinki and in their final game they beat Northern Ireland by the same score when a win for the Irish would have given them a playoff place.

RK - Sammy McIlroy’s lads did well though.

AG - They did. The result in Helsinki was their worst performance of the campaign and they had an excellent 2-1 win over Turkey last October at Windsor Park.

RK - And in Group 3 Croatia and the Republic of Ireland had a ding-dong battle.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 3

1st Q Croatia 8 3 1 0 9 2 3 0 1 5 3 19

2nd Pl IRELAND 8 2 1 1 11 4 3 1 0 9 4 17

3rd Poland 8 3 0 1 6 2 1 1 2 5 4 13

4th Lithuania 8 2 0 2 7 6 1 0 3 3 7 9

5th Luxembourg 8 0 0 4 0 10 0 0 4 2 15 0</pre>

AG - It was nip and tuck all the way. The crucial result there came early in the campaign when the Croatians won 2-1 in Dublin, Irelands only defeat in the group.

RK - In Group 4 Yugoslavia and the Czech Republic both qualified.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 4

1st Q Yugoslavia 10 5 0 0 14 2 3 1 1 7 2 25

2nd Q Czech Republic 10 5 0 0 13 0 3 0 2 11 5 24

3rd Bosnia 10 3 1 1 10 4 3 0 2 7 3 19

4th Armenia 10 1 1 3 4 10 2 0 3 5 10 10

5th Hungary 10 1 1 3 5 5 1 2 2 8 12 9

6th Malta 10 0 0 5 3 17 0 0 5 0 17 0</pre>

AG - Yes, it was fairly comfortable for both of them to be honest.

RK - But it was a very disappointing campaign for Mark Hughes and his Welsh team.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 5

1st Q Holland 8 3 1 0 8 3 3 0 1 6 3 19

2nd Pl Belarus 8 3 0 1 10 7 1 1 2 11 9 13

3rd Belgium 8 3 0 1 7 5 1 0 3 5 8 12

4th Switzerland 8 3 0 1 8 6 0 1 3 2 9 10

5th WALES 8 1 1 2 7 7 0 0 4 4 11 4</pre>

AG - Very disappointing. Holland qualified with room to spare in the end but Wales unfortunately finished bottom of the group. The big surprise was probably Belarus beating Belgium to the playoff spot. The key game there was the shock 5-0 win for Belarus in Brussels.

RK - Group 6 was a bit of a stroll in the park for France.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 6

1st Q France 8 4 0 0 12 0 3 1 0 9 4 22

2nd Pl Greece 8 1 3 0 8 6 2 0 2 7 7 12

3rd Romania 8 3 0 1 7 4 0 3 1 3 6 12

4th Estonia 8 1 1 2 3 7 1 0 3 2 6 7

5th FYROM 8 0 1 3 1 6 0 1 3 2 8 2</pre>

AG - Yes, just two points dropped in 8 games for the French. Greece managed to secure the playoff place on goal difference from Romania despite only taking 2 points from their last 3 matches.

RK - And in Group 7 Denmark did really well to finish top above Germany, although both do go through.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 7

1st Q Denmark 10 4 1 0 14 1 3 2 0 10 1 24

2nd Q Germany 10 4 1 0 16 1 3 1 1 12 5 23

3rd Georgia 10 3 2 0 8 2 2 1 2 11 12 18

4th Cyprus 10 2 0 3 8 12 1 0 4 6 15 9

5th Slovakia 10 2 1 2 8 8 0 1 4 2 15 8

6th San Marino 10 0 1 4 6 17 0 1 4 0 12 2</pre>

AG - The key there was there superb defensive record - just 2 goals conceded in 10 games. Also Germany’s surprise 1-0 defeat in Georgia back in August. If you remember Richard, that was the match where Jens Nowotny was sent off for pushing the referee.

RK - He got a 3-month ban for that didn’t he?

AG - He did and it’s still in effect until the end of this month.

RK - Italy breezed through their Group.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 8

1st Q Italy 8 4 0 0 12 1 4 0 0 9 2 24

2nd Pl Norway 8 3 0 1 7 2 1 0 3 3 9 12

3rd Iceland 8 3 0 1 10 4 0 1 3 1 6 10

4th Austria 8 1 2 1 4 3 0 1 3 1 11 6

5th Azerbaijan 8 1 1 2 4 7 0 1 3 3 9 5</pre>

AG - You can say that again. 8 wins out of 8 and only 3 goals conceded. Iceland lost their chance of a playoff when they drew their final game in Austria. They had done the hard work in their previous game by beating Norway 2-0 but a 1-1 draw in Vienna meant that Norway’s 2-0 win over Azerbaijan was good enough.

RK - And finally, England finished on top in Group 9.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Group 9

1st Q ENGLAND 8 2 1 1 5 3 4 0 0 12 1 19

2nd Pl Russia 8 2 0 2 6 4 3 1 0 7 3 16

3rd Slovenia 8 2 1 1 5 5 2 2 0 7 4 15

4th Bulgaria 8 0 2 2 5 7 1 0 3 8 8 5

5th Moldova 8 0 0 4 3 17 0 1 3 2 8 1</pre>

AG - It was a good campaign by Sven and his boys. Apart from the 1-0 loss at home to Russia their only other hiccup was the 1-1 draw with Slovenia. But their away form was the key - 4 wins out of 4 sealed the group.

RK - Right, Andy and I will be back to review the playoff matches after this short break.

RK - So Andy, let’s take a look at each of the three playoff pairings. Firstly Belarus at home against Russia.

AG - There’s a bit of local rivalry in this one. Belarus finished runners-up to Holland in their group and came into their best form at the end of the campaign. In their final two games they beat Belgium 5-0 and Switzerland 3-0. Russia finished behind England and they were unbeaten in their last 4 group matches with 3 wins and a draw.

RK - Who are the key players that we should be aware of?

AG - Belarus have two very well regarded midfielders in Valentin Belkevich of Ajax and young Alexandr Hleb of Stuttgart. They tend to play with three at the back and Artem Chelyadinskiy and Vladimir Shuneiko, who both play in Russia incidently, have looked impressive. They utilise a single striker and 20-year-old Artem Kontsevoy of Napoli will be the man to watch up front. For the Russians, keeper Ruslan Nigmatullin of Espanyol is a key figure at the back. Team captain Viktor Onpoko, who also plays in Spain with Mallorca, will reach a landmark 100 caps today and at 34 is still an important part of their set up. They’ll be looking to the highly rated striker Vladimir Bestchastnykh of Schalke to get amongst the goals and will expect midfielder Dmitry Khokhlov, another Spanish-based player at Real Sociedad, to provide their creative spark.

RK - Next up, Ireland at home to Greece.

AG - I know that David O’Leary was very disappointed not to have qualified automatically and his boys will be desperate to get to Portugal. This may be captain Roy Keane’s last major tournament as he’ll be 35 at the time of the next World Cup. Robbie Keane and Damian Duff represent the Republic’s main attacking threat. They’ll need to watch out for Greek striker Zissis Vryzas who has a great goalscoring record with Perugia.

RK - And finally, the Nordic derby - Norway at home to Finland.

AG - Another local rivalry. Norway are led by captain Erik Mykland who now plays his football in Denmark and Chelsea’s Ronny Johnsen gives them a lot of experience at the back. Valencia’s striker Alieu will always be a threat up front and they can also call on Arsenal’s Tore Andre Flo, Steffen Iversen of Spurs and of course Ole Gunnar Solskjaer of Man Utd. Finland’s talismanic Jari Litmanen of Ajax is currently injured and that’s a real blow. But they still have ex-Liverpool captain Sami Hyypia, recently transferred to Dortmund for £21M, Southampton keeper Antti Niemi and Chelsea striker Mikael Forssell.

RK - Thanks Andy. And after our next break we’ll be off to Landsdowne Road for full coverage of Ireland’s game against Greece and Andy and I will rejoin you all for the highlights of all three games.

Euro 2004 Playoffs First Leg

Full Time

RK - Right Andy, let’s take a look at how all the games went. First, Ireland and Greece

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Ireland 2 Greece 1

Robbie Keane 12, Butler 45 Vryzas 18</pre>

RK - A good start for the Irish Andy.

AG - It certainly was with Robbie Keane getting them off the mark after 12 minutes. It’s nice interplay between Keane and Clinton Morrison here - the two of them have a good understanding - and Robbie volleys home beautifully.

RK - Was Shay Given at fault for the equaliser?

AG - I’d say so Richard. See here, Choutos gets past Ian Harte on the right and swings the ball in. Shay seems to hesitate and when he does come for the ball he really doesn’t look positive and the dangerman Vryzas easily gets there first.

RK - But a very positive response by the Irish.

AG - Absolutely - how they only got one goal in this half I just don’t know. If you look back on it, Stephen McPhail and Damian Duff both hit the post and the Greek keeper made maybe half a dozen excellent stops before Thomas Butler got the goal right on half time.

RK - A slightly quieter second half.

AG - It was. Ireland always worked hard but they only really forced a couple of saves out of the keeper. Mind you the Greeks never really threatened - they almost seemed happy to back to Athens just a goal down.

RK - Who caught your eye in that game?

AG - Well for the Greeks Vryzas looked sharp and he scored their important away goal and Katergiannakis was inspired in goal. For Ireland, Robbie Keane and Clint Morrison were excellent up front and Ian Harte had a very good game at the back.

RG - Next up, Belarus and Russia.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Belarus 1 Russia 0

Kontsevoy 77</pre>

AG - A well-deserved win for the home side, although once again the visitors have their keeper to thank for keeping the scoreline low. Belarus created a lot of chances and a combination of good work by Nigmatullin and poor finishing on occasions, means that Russia are still in the tie.

RK - Who stood out in this game?

AG - The Russian keeper obviously but their experienced sweeper Omari Tetradze also played very well. For Belarus the goalscorer Kontsevoy always looked dangerous and Sergei Shtaniuk played very well at the back.

RK - Finally, the Nordic derby.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Norway 1 Finland 2

Heggem 79 Pasanen pen 19, Roiha 47</pre>

AG - This was a bit of a disaster for Norway to be honest. Keeper Thomas Myhre was sent off after 20 minutes when he pulled down Simo Valakari of Derby as the midfielder was going past him. Norway took off their star striker Alieu to bring on substitute keeper Per Morten Kristiansen. Ajax youngster Petri Pasanen made no mistake from the spot to open the scoring. Striker Paulus Roiha added a second for Finland early in the second half before Liverpool’s Vegard Heggem gave Norway some hope with a late goal.

RK - So how do you see the second legs panning out.

AG - Ireland will have a tough match in Greece but I think that they can come through it. With Keane and Morrison in good form I think that they can score and that would make a big difference to the match. The Russia /Belarus match is very finely balanced and I could see that going to extra time and maybe even penalties. Finland are in the driving seat against Norway - 1 goal up and playing at home.

RK - Thanks Andy. We’ll be back with highlights of the second legs on Wednesday evening. We will also feature coverage of Scotland’s friendly against Austria so please join us then.

Sky Sports

Wednesday November 12, 2003

RK - Good evening, we have a packed programme for you tonight as we bring you coverage of the Euro 2004 Playoff second legs. We’ll also feature tonight’s friendly between Scotland and Austria at Hampden. Let’s talk about Scotland first Andy - the Under 21’s did well again last night.

AG - Yes, they had a comprehensive 3-0 win over their Austrian counterparts. There were several new faces in the team and it was a very impressive performance. The young Rangers defender Andrew Duffy opened the scoring after 19 minutes. He had been asked to play the holding position in front of the back two - an unaccustomed role for him - but he was outstanding. Darren Fletcher got the second just before half time and Aberdeen’s Scott Michie added the third right at the end.

RK - Now a quick recap on the playoff positions after the first leg ties. Ireland travel to Greece with a 2-1 lead, Belarus take a one-goal advantage to Russia and Norway visit Finland 2-1 down. We’ll be going over to Athens after the break but Andy and I will rejoin you at full time for a complete roundup of the action.

Euro 2004 Playoffs Second Leg

Full Time

RK - Andy, what a good result for the Irish.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Greece 1 Ireland 2

Choutos 33 Morrison 26, Roy Keane 81

Ireland win 4-2 on aggregate</pre>

AG - An excellent result Richard. Big Clint Morrison got them off to a great start with the opening goal. Thomas Butler of Sunderland starts the move off and he sends in a lovely pass to Robbie Keane. That’s good control from the Spurs player to take him past the defender and he puts in a great cross for Morrison to head home. A vital goal for the Irish. That puts them 3-1 ahead and the Greeks have now got to score 3 goals.

RK - They got one back shortly afterwards though.

AG - Yes. They came close to a goal straight from the restart when Vryzas tried his luck from distance but his shot just clipped the bar with Shay Given well beaten. Here’s the goal now. This is very neat approach work, nice crisp passing, looking for an opening. Choutos picks it up now, jinks past two defenders and that’s an unstoppable shot. Here’s another chance just before half time. Choutos picks out Vryzas but his header comes back off the post. The Greeks had a lot of possession as they searched for the second goal that would at least give them extra time but they didn’t threaten Given too often. And every now and then Ireland looked to hit them on the break. The clock was ticking down and the Irish still looked composed. And then the captain, Roy Keane scored the decisive goal. It followed a sustained period of Irish possession as we can see. They’re passing the ball around neatly, looking for an opening. Robbie Keane knocks it out to Barrett, on to Duff, to Finan. Barrett’s continued his run and Finan finds him well. Nice cushioned pass to Robbie who plays it into the box and there’s Roy to volley it home. 4-2 overall, Portugal here we come.

RK - On to the game in Russia.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Russia 0 Belarus 1

Kontsevoy 45

Belarus win 2-0 on aggregate</pre>

AG - The danger man Kontsevoy scored again as he did in the first leg to give Belarus a great result. They were under fairly sustained pressure for most of the match but they defended well, the keeper made some good saves and they held out. We’ll see the goal now. Classic counter attack here. Hleb picks up the ball as a Russian attack breaks down. He gets quick support from Kutozov who spots Kontsevoy’s run and threads through a great pass. The youngster takes it in his stride and finishes really well.

RK - And Norway with an unlikely comeback in Helsinki.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Finland 0 Norway 2

Flo 19, Aas 76

Norway win 3-2 on aggregate</pre>

AG - The Finns will be kicking themselves after this result. They had most of the possession and created most of the chances. Norway soaked up the pressure, had two shots on goal and scored with both of them. Let’s see the first goal. Flo was preferred in attack to Alieu and that turned out to be an inspired selection as he opened the scoring. Simple goal too. The free kick is played in, Niemi comes for it but Flo just beats him to it. The winning goal was a bit special though. As you see the Finnish attack breaks down and look at Ronny Johnsen. He nutmegs Valakari, beats two men and sends in a great ball to the far post. Kvarme with a controlled knock down and look at that volley by Alexander Aas. He’s only on the pitch because of an injury to Heggem and that’s as good a finish as you’ll see.

RK - Just time to finish off with the Scotland friendly.

AG - A bit of experimentation by Berti for this one and it worked out quite well. Paul Gallagher got a start in goal, Rob Malcolm and Jamie Buchan played as wingbacks with Steven Pressley and Lee Wilkie in the centre of defence. Young Michael Stewart from Man Utd played in front of the defence and Motherwell’s Stephen Pearson started in midfield after impressing in the Under 21’s. And a real surprise up front with Falkirk’s Steven Craig and young Stevie Nicholas of Rangers playing. Scotland played very well and the visitors rarely threatened. Goals from Nicholas and substitute Mark Kerr gave them a 2-0 win. Ex-Arsenal goalie Alex Manninger was in top form and he kept the score respectable.

RK - Do you expect any of the youngsters to feature in the Euro 2004 squad?

AG - I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two but I’m sure that Berti will try out a few more players before next summer.

RK - Thanks Andy. That just about wraps things up tonight, so its goodnight from me and its goodnight from him.

Sky Sports News

Saturday February 7, 2004

Earlier today the draw was made for the Euro 2004 groups. England have been placed with Portugal, the host country. Ireland have been drawn with Spain and Italy and Scotland are in what is already being dubbed the "Group of Death" and will face Holland, Germany and Denmark. Here are the groups in full.

Group 1

Belarus

Czech Republic

England

Portugal

Group 2

Ireland

Italy

Spain

Yugoslavia

Group 3

Croatia

France

Norway

Sweden

Group 4

Denmark

Germany

Holland

Scotland

The tournament opens on June 5th with England against Portugal. Scotland’s programme gets underway on the 8th with a match against Denmark.

Sky Sports News

Saturday February 7, 2004

The draw for the 2006 World Cup qualifiers took place earlier today. The qualifying games start in early September and will run through until next October. Here is the draw in full.

Group 1

FYROM

Holland

Latvia

Switzerland

Yugoslavia

Group 2

Belarus

England

Estonia

Slovakia

Sweden

Group 3

Azerbaijan

Bulgaria

Finland

Northern Ireland

Portugal

Group 4

Bosnia

Croatia

Malta

Moldova

Russia

Scotland

Group 5

Armenia

Czech Republic

Israel

Poland

Ukraine

Group 6

Albania

France

Greece

Norway

San Marino

Wales

Group 7

Austria

Iceland

Italy

Luxembourg

Turkey

Group 8

Denmark

Faroe Islands

Hungary

Lithuania

Slovenia

Spain

Group 9

Andorra

Belgium

Cyprus

Georgia

Ireland

Romania

I'm with you PM - I don't like the look of the "Group of Death" at all icon_frown.gif

Sky Sports

Tuesday June 1, 2004

RK - Good evening and welcome to the Sky Sports Euro 2004 preview show. I’m here with Andy Gray and tonight we will be reviewing the four groups and assessing the chances of England, Scotland and Ireland in the competition. Let’s start with Group 1 Andy.

AG - England’s group of course Richard.

Group 1

Belarus (FIFA Ranking - 107)

Czech Republic (10)

England (17)

Portugal (12)

AG - Belarus were surprise qualifiers after beating Russia in the playoff and they are definitely the outsiders of the group. The Czech Republic qualified in some style and they must fancy their chances. With players such as Tomas Rosicky, Pavel Nedved and Jan Koller in the team they’re a handful for anyone. After Nedved’s recent £14.5M transfer from Juventus to Liverpool, the Merseysiders now provide 4 of the squad including Patrik Berger, Vladimir Smicer and Milan Baros.

RK - And the home nation Andy?

AG - Well they haven’t played a competitive match since their World Cup Quarter Final against South Africa in July 2002. If you remember they suffered a shock 1-0 defeat. They’ve played 10 friendly matches since then and have lost only twice, with one of those defeats coming against England in November 2002. They definitely have an ageing team - the average age of the squad is 28. But players like Luis Figo and Rui Costa are still world class. We should also keep an eye on young striker Helder Postiga as he could make an impact. The weight of expectations that the team will be under from the home supporters will mean that each game will be played under tremendous pressure and I think that they might not handle it.

RK - And how about England?

AG - Well, let’s start by taking a look at the full squad.

Goalkeepers

Rhys Evans (22, Chelsea)

David James (33, West Ham)

Richard Wright (26, Everton)

Defenders

Dean Richards (29, Liverpool)

Jamie Carragher (26, Liverpool)

Gary Neville (29, Arsenal)

David Prutton (22, Arsenal)

Gareth Barry (23, Aston Villa)

Ashley Cole (23, Arsenal)

Matthew Taylor (22, Everton)

Sol Campbell (29, Arsenal)

Ugo Ehiogu (31, Liverpool)

Rio Ferdinand (25, Man Utd)

Midfielders

Kieron Dyer (25, Newcastle)

Seth Johnson (25, Leeds)

Darren Anderton (32, Leeds)

Steve McManaman (32, Leeds)

Joe Cole (22, West Ham)

Paul Scholes (29, Arsenal)

Forwards

Carlton Cole (20, Chelsea)

Robbie Fowler (29, Leeds)

Michael Owen (24, Liverpool)

Wayne Rooney (18, Everton)

RK - The Liverpool contingent will certainly be on a high after their victory over Barcelona in the Champions League Final.

AG - Absolutely. It’s an interesting squad, strong in defence and attack but I think a little weak in midfield with Beckham out injured. Sol Campbell, Paul Scholes and Michael Owen are the key players for me and they all need to perform.

RK - Final thoughts on the group.

AG - Czech Republic and England to go through.

RK - OK. Time for a short break and then we’ll look at Group 2.

RK - Well Andy, what do you make of this group then?

Group 2

Ireland (FIFA Ranking 14)

Italy (2)

Spain (6)

Yugoslavia (8)

AG - Ireland there courtesy of the playoffs of course. Let’s start with a look at the Irish squad.

Goalkeepers

Shay Given (28, Man City)

Dean Kiely (33, Charlton)

Joe Murphy (22, Fulham)

Defenders

Gary Breen (30, West Ham)

Stephen Carr (27, Fulham)

Kenny Cunningham (32, Liverpool)

Richard Dunne (24, Grimsby)

Gary Kelly (29, Leeds)

Ian Harte (26, Leeds)

Gary Doherty (24, Spurs)

Andy O’Brien (24, Newcastle)

Phil Babb (33, Sunderland)

Midfielders

Roy Keane (32, Man Utd)

Rory Delap (27, Southampton)

Jason McAteer (32, Sunderland)

Mark Kinsella (31, Aston Villa)

Damian Duff (25, Blackburn)

Kevin Kilbane (27, Sunderland)

Forwards

Graham Barrett (22, Arsenal)

Robbie Keane (23, Spurs)

David Connolly (26, Wimbledon)

Paul Keegan (20, Leeds)

Clinton Morrison (25, Birmingham)

AG - For me, Damian Duff and the two Keanes - Roy and Robbie - are their key players. We know that the team will always give 100% but my feeling is that this group is just too strong for them to come through.

RK - And the rest of the group?

AG - Well Italy are probably the group favourites. The team is full of household names with the likes of Totti, Inzaghi, Del Piero and Vieri. I can’t see them not qualifying and I would expect them to win the group. Spain breezed through qualifying but have a nasty habit of seriously under-achieving in the final stages. Of course they excelled in the last World Cup, reaching the final only to lose 3-0 to Argentina. They have three very strong strikers in Raul, Albert Luque and Diego Tristan but they can be a bit weak at the back. Yugoslavia qualified well and they have a lot of technically gifted players. Their weakness I believe is their temperament. They can easily get rattled if things start to go against them. In PSV’s Mateja Kezman they have a proven goalscorer and captain Dejan Stefanovic is an imposing presence in defence.

RK - How do you think it’ll end up?

AG - Italy to win the group and Spain to just sneak second.

RK - Well it’s time for another short break and then we’ll look at the remaining groups.

RK - Well Andy, how does Group 3 look?

Group 3

Croatia (FIFA Ranking - 25)

France (1)

Norway (37)

Sweden (31)

AG - Croatia just pipped Ireland to automatic qualification. In their last couple of friendly matches they lost 3-1 to Spain but then beat the Czech Republic 3-0. Similar to the Yugoslavs, if they’re in the mood then they are unbeatable so a lot will depend on their state of mind in Portugal. Captain Dario Simic is probably the best known figure in the squad and he plays his football in Milan. But I’m sure that Middlesbrough fans will need no reminding of Alen Boksic, who is now playing for Galatasaray in Turkey. France must be group favourites. They strolled through the qualifying group and with such luminaries as Zidane, Vieira, Henry, Pires, Trezeguet and Thuram in the squad I can’t see them failing to progress. For me there’s very little to choose between Norway and Sweden. The Norwegians did well to get through the playoff against Finland whilst Sweden, of course, won Scotland’s group.

RK - So how do you see it ending up?

AG - France to win the group and I’ll stick my neck out here and go for Croatia to nick second place.

RK - And finally, Group 4

Group 4

Denmark (FIFA Ranking - 4)

Germany (7)

Holland (19)

Scotland (35)

AG - A very, very tough group. Denmark just pipped Germany in the qualifying group and at one point were at the top of the FIFA Rankings. Ebbe Sand is a prolific scorer for Leverkusen and will be well known to the German squad. Arsenal’s Dennis Rommedhal is lighting fast as is Jesper Gronkjaer of Chelsea. The Germans have the prolific Miroslav Klose up front, Michael Ballack pulling the strings in midfield and the imposing figure of Oliver Kahn in goal. Holland have talent aplenty with Patrick Kluivert up front, Kevin Hofland one of the most cultured defenders in the game and the gritty Clarence Seedorf holding the midfield together. They are unfortunate that Ruud van Nistelrooy and Edgar Davids are both injured.

RK - So let’s take a look at Berti’s Scotland squad as there are one or two surprises.

Goalkeepers

Jamie Langfield (24, Dundee)

Neil Sullivan (34, Spurs)

Defenders

Barry Smith (30, Dundee)

Lee Wilkie (24, Dundee)

Robert Malcolm (23, Rangers)

Robbie Neilson (23, Southampton)

Brian McAllister (33, Motherwell)

Jim Paterson (24, Spurs)

Phil McGuire (24, Aberdeen)

Scott Walker (29, Motherwell)

Midfielders

Derek McInnes (32, West Brom)

Michael Stewart (23, Man Utd)

Craig Easton (25, West Brom)

Barry Ferguson (26, Rangers)

Mark Kerr (22, Leeds)

Darren Fletcher (20, Man Utd)

James McFadden (21, Motherwell)

Charlie Miller (28, Rangers)

Stephen Pearson (21, Motherwell)

Forwards

Stevie Nicholas (22, Rangers)

Kiegan Parker (21, Rangers)

Marc Anthony (26, Aberdeen)

Craig Dargo (26, Kilmarnock)

AG - It’s generally a young squad, especially in midfield and attack. There are some exciting young players included and it’s certainly a very adventurous selection from Berti. He tried out a lot of these players in the friendly matches over the last few months. We had a good 2-0 win over Austria with goals from Stevie Nicholas and Mark Kerr. Then we lost 3-2 to Ireland thanks to a Robbie Keane winner in stoppage time. Darren Fletcher and Paul Shields were our scorers in that game. And finally we beat Russia 3-1 in a very encouraging performance. Charlie Miller scored twice with Jamie Buchan of Dundee getting the other. The other thing of note here is that Berti has not gone with the conventional wisdom of including three keepers in the squad, choosing instead to include an extra outfield player.

RK - Can you see them progressing from the group stage?

AG - No. Frankly, I think that the group is just too tough. I see Germany and Holland maybe going through but it’s a really tough group to call.

RK - Well that’s all we have time for in this programme so I’d like to thank Andy for his insights. We will of course be bringing full coverage of all of Scotland’s group matches right here on Sky Sports.

Archived