FM08 : Olympique Lyon : Les Gones

Purefun

while I agree with you on attracting talent, I find that my team react better to instructions and talks because of the french language. The vast majority of my team knows french, so that seems to make a noticeable effect in my games. The team is also young, and by buying those up and comers, I hopefully won't have to worry too much about attracting talent... though I have to worry about attracting Bojan's dad over to my scouting roster.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by razner:

while I agree with you on attracting talent, I find that my team react better to instructions and talks because of the french language. The vast majority of my team knows french, so that seems to make a noticeable effect in my games. The team is also young, and by buying those up and comers, I hopefully won't have to worry too much about attracting talent... though I have to worry about attracting Bojan's dad over to my scouting roster.

Expensive mate that Bojan's father tbh Lyon can't afford his wages.

Dont ask was stayin at mrs at the weekend and was playin it there, then made a cd for here, left it sunday and packed everything up got home went to play tuesday and cant find it and its no where at hers im gona have to go get another copy how annoyin

Originally posted by Adman10:

Dont ask was stayin at mrs at the weekend and was playin it there, then made a cd for here, left it sunday and packed everything up got home went to play tuesday and cant find it and its no where at hers im gona have to go get another copy how annoyin

Maybe she misplaced it on purpose. icon_wink.gif

I have finally finished my first season on 8.02, got some time to play a few hours on FM today as I had no lectures.

It’s been a good first season for the new Swede in France!

I have to say the games in 8.02 are far more goal/entertainment orientated not really ideal for people like myself who like to keep clean sheets but still I am adapting.

I won the Ligue One quite comfortably which was expected to be honest being the first season and as always Lyon have a strong default strong give or take a few positions. Here is how the first season Ligue standings were:

Ligue one standing

As you can see I won by quite a few points, disappointed to concede so many but I blame the patch for this, towards the end I started to keep clean sheets and defend better so I have a platform now to build on defensively. Scored a lot of goals, shame I lost one game, but I am happy with the few draws six I can deal with.

As for the rest of the competitions, I won:

- Champions Cup

- French cup

- Coupe de le Ligue

- Champions League

I was quite fortunate to win in the final against arsenal (CL) I was solid at the back and come from 1-0 behind to win 2-1 a little lucky but I am not complaining. I ran away with both French domestic cups no one came even close to challenging me to be honest. Here is my home screen showing the various information:

Home screen

As you can see Sobis was my top scorer, he was fantastic for me I am so glad I brought him he is developing into a world class striker for me. You may also see the amount of assists Juninho got all I can say is “patch + corners and free kicks = Juninho super assist machine†I have never seen some one get so many to be honest, amazing! If you can’t see he got 48assits not bad at all! icon_biggrin.gif

Finally onto my squad, here is how my squad looks at the end of the season any suggestions on improvements are more than welcome. But note:

I have Ederson coming back from loan, and Menez is coming to me at the end of the season for £8.5Million.

Squad

I am looking to buy Gignac as a back up striker and Durcasse as another DM option. I am aware I should probably get a CM but I am looking for a world class CM. Pref French but for the CM a world class CM can be any nationality. Any way all comments welcome on my season or possible targets.

Cheers

Hopey

Great first season mate.

For CM and french you could go for Flamini maybe. I hear he is great on 8.02.

And yes the patch messed up imho. 48 assist, defenders scoring like mad. icon_eek.gif Offcourse you could not use that cornerthing but i'm not starting a debat on that its everyones game. icon14.gif

Originally posted by purefun:

Hopey

Great first season mate.

For CM and french you could go for Flamini maybe. I hear he is great on 8.02.

And yes the patch messed up imho. 48 assist, defenders scoring like mad. icon_eek.gif Offcourse you could not use that cornerthing but i'm not starting a debat on that its everyones game. icon14.gif

He is great but I can't get him Arsenal will not sell and he just signed a contract extension. To make matters worse my Chairman accepted ManUtd's offer of £15.5Million for Bodmer even though I had £40Million transfer budget and Lyon was valued at £187Million. Seroiusly messed up, really hate my chairman at times, there was no need to sell Bodmer for that I was in a very healthy financial state. I have brought in Guilhere from Cruzero for £9Million, plus Menez. Ederson got injured in training on the first day back and is out for 3Months lol icon_biggrin.gif

Time for another update. We are currently on one of those runs where everything is going right. We have won 12 on the bounce in all competitions, our attacking players are on fire (Kader in particular) and our defence is like a brick wall (recognised by the fact that Grosso has just been named European defender of the year).

olympiquelyonnaisolympirg3.th.png]Results[/url]

We are starting to pull away in the league, and the 100 point/100 goals double is looking a possibility. We have drawn Porto in the first KO stage of the Champions League (could have been a lot worse), and are progressing well in both French Cup competitions. With the World Club Championship and French Super Cup already in the trophy cabinet it could be another great season. icon_smile.gif

Hopey

Chairman a strange breed. icon_biggrin.gif But still very annoying.

Ederson also very unlucky.

-------

Couldn't sell Bendtner so he will be loaned out. Will try again next season. The same goed for Araujo he is loaned out aswell but his contract is running out.

More update will be for Saturday. And i finally found some good regens who i actually could sign. So signed three and a fourth on the way.

Going to have some serious striker problems next season : Fred, Benzema, Briand, Saivet, and Aaron and Balotelli and Zeefuik and a high PA regen that will all come back from loan and also have Walcott who i use as a sub for AMR and ST.

Any recommondations (sp)!!!!

They all look good tbh.

Purefun

Good luck with that mate! Thats why I only have a first team squad of 22 (2 players for each position) and have done in all the time I have been playing FM. I find it is much easier to keep players happy that way.

Have had a bit of a disaster since my last post. Knocked out of the Champions League by Barcelona in the QF and lost on pens in the SF of the French League Cup to Lens.

On a brighter note we are in the QF of the French Cup (the only trophy we didn't win last year, so can hopefully put that right), and the league is virtually ours. With 5 games to go we only need one point. Unfortunately the 100 point barrier is gone as we can now only manage a maximum of 98, and we need 15 goals to hit the 100 mark (fingers crossed!).

Spike

Well i call it a disease mate. I can't control myself, sign a lot of them on free though so no worries i could always sell and make a nice profit. Oh and i also have Bendtner but he will be sold.

Madrid made an offer for Saivet : 15 mil upfront, 50 % sell-on, 15 mil over 24 months and 43.5 mil after one international game (he is a regular so) and a buy back clause. But i rejected it. Luckely i am in a very healthy financial situation otherwise my chairman would be greedy.

Originally posted by purefun:

Going to have some serious striker problems next season : Fred, Benzema, Briand, Saivet, and Aaron and Balotelli and Zeefuik and a high PA regen that will all come back from loan and also have Walcott who i use as a sub for AMR and ST.

Any recommondations (sp)!!!!

They all look good tbh.

Benzema

Briand

Saivet

Balotelli/Zeefuik

Fred is in his thirties now purefun? He must be getting on so I would suggest he be one of the strikers you use as little as possible or maybe even sell him. I would rotate my strike force between who is in good form and those I named above. Maybe use Zeefuik/High PA regen in the french cups. I don't like rotational management but in your position what choice do you have icon_biggrin.gif

We are only a few games away from the end of my 2nd season and I am planning a bit of a clear out in the summer. Unless they are World Class I generally sell players once they hit 30 (before they lose all of their value).

This is what I am planning (subject to funds):

Goalkeeper

OUT - Coupet

IN - either Akinfeev, Ustari or Lloris

Leftback

OUT - Grosso & Belhadj

IN - Guilherme & Traore

Right Wing

OUT - Govou

IN - None (will promote Wijnaldum/Remy from the reserves if necessary)

I am also going to sell Cris and would like to bring in a youngish replacement (preferably French). I already have Barzagli, Squillaci and Sakho (with Paillot developing well in the reserves). This is where I need your help (Purefun / HoPeY are you guys out there?).

This would leave my squad looking something like this:

GK - Akinfeev or Ustari or Lloris/Wiese

DR - Clerc/Reveillere

DL - Guilherme/Traore

DC - Barzagli/Squillaci/Sakho/?

MR - Keita/Menez

ML - Gasbarroni/Ben Arfa

MC - Toulalan/Bodmer

AMC - Fernandez/Morais

ST - Fred/Benzema/Briand/Stancu

Any suggestions welcome icon_smile.gif

This is where I need your help (Purefun / HoPeY are you guys out there?).

Sorry maybe I am missing the question, what help do you need? In the suggestion of a CB who is possibly French? Or our help on your squad and what you might need?

Sorry if I am having a "blonde" moment, so just humour me and explain what you need me and purefun to do.

Cheers icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by HoPeY:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is where I need your help (Purefun / HoPeY are you guys out there?).

Sorry maybe I am missing the question, what help do you need? In the suggestion of a CB who is possibly French? Or our help on your squad and what you might need?

Sorry if I am having a "blonde" moment, so just humour me and explain what you need me and purefun to do.

Cheers icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am looking for help finding a young french DC, do you know if there are any good ones out there? I am happy with the rest of the squad at the moment, providing I manage to sign the players I am looking at.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Tuia is Italian is he not?

Young french CB:

- Saunier

- Sahko

- Leo schwechlen

Are the three most promising CB's in France on FM, that's off the top of my head. You obv have Sahko so look at the other two, both progress and become class, altho Sahko becomes the best out of the three icon_smile.gif

Spike

Sahko is the best out of the three mentioned by my good and close and personal friend Hopey icon_biggrin.gif, but you have him, so you need to buy Saunier who becomes great trust us. Schwechlen i don't rate on this version he was better on fm07. Also have a look at Bocaly he became immense with me better than any mentioned above, he isn't a DC but i use him there and he has constant 8's and became a french regular and chosen in top 3 defenders of the world.

Adman10

I play him just behind the two strikers with a farrow. I intend to rotate him with Matias Fernandez a bit more this season.

I presume you never found out where your mrs hid the original copy then lol icon_smile.gif

Spike

No i didnt so just ordered another just hatin waitin now. She has probably snapped it in half wouldnt suprise me lol.

Matias fernandez is quality i had him in a tottenham squad was immense he doin well for u? who u playin upfront?

Adman10

Fernandez has been awesome for me, scoring over 20 goals (plus a fair few assists) in both seasons. I play him behind Fred & Benzema (have Briand & Stancu as back up), with Keita on the right wing, Gasbaronni on the left and Toulalan as my holding midfielder.

Spike

Thx for the s.s. mate. He looks good and his stats could still rise a little bit and i'm guessing you have sevenstar training so next season you should put up this screen and the screen you take than.

Purefun

Will do mate icon14.gif

Looks like I might have to do a bit of rebuilding in the summer. Coupet, Squillaci, Clerc & Toulalan are all out of contract at the end of the season.

The first three are all refusing to sign new contracts until they 'have explored all possibilities'. I'm not worried about Coupet as he will be 37 and needs replacing anyway. Squillaci won't be too much of a problem as I have just signed Zapata (along with Barzagli and Sakho we are fairly strong at DC).

I don't want to lose Clerc as he will be difficult to replace, and I am hoping he will still sign a new contract.

Toulalan is the one that is annoying me, stating he 'has no intention of signing a new contract'. As he is valued at £15.5m I don't want to lose him on a free, and therefore decided to offer him to other clubs. Bayern made a £15m bid which I accepted and had De Jong lined up as a replacement. But then he rejected Bayern's contract as he 'would find it hard to leave Lyon'. Can anyone explain this? Don't know what to do next.

Spike

Offer Squillaci, Clercq and def. Toulalon big contracts mate, they are all great. And still are in my sixth season. Give key role, double there wages.

If they don't sign well you got replacement for Squillaci, Clercq could be replaced by Abenzoar so you don't need to spend money on anybody. Toulalon is easely worth (in selling terms) between 30-45 mil euro and there is not one like him even not Fabregas imo (in my game that is) but you could have a look at Martinez (the one from Bilbao) he becomes great but not so cheap though. De Jong is nothing in comparison tbh mate.

In my game Abenzoar doesn't cut it to replace Clerc so I got de Silvestri. Toulalan I would suggest you sign Samir Nasri to replace him or if you want a DM Distel Zola. Try checking him out and see how he's developed.

Originally posted by zychan1:

In my game Abenzoar doesn't cut it to replace Clerc so I got de Silvestri. Toulalan I would suggest you sign Samir Nasri to replace him or if you want a DM Distel Zola. Try checking him out and see how he's developed.

Mine looks great mate.

Nasri is an AMC and Zola a DMC. Toulalon a MC so they are not competent enough to play as a real mc. Others would be Bodmer if you still have him, Fabregas, Iniesta maybe ...

Shortly after my last post Toulalan realeased a statement saying he was leaving as he needed a new challenge. Therefore had to sell him and only managed to get £10m + 20% sell-on from Bayern (better than letting him go for nothing I suppose). Still have Bodmer and have promoted Said Mehamha from the reserves. He looks very promising so will give him until the end of the season to see if he is good enough.

With regard to Abenzoar I have already promoted him to the first team as a back up to Clerc, as I needed to sell Reveillere to raise some money to pay for Zapata.

It looks like we are going to have another great season, so I am hoping Clerc and Squillaci will sign new contracts at the end of the season.

Thanks for the help guys icon14.gif

Update on my game currently september 2012 :

European Supercup 2012-2013 This was Lulinha's first start due to injury from M. Fernandez. The guy couldn't start better with one goal and two assists. icon14.gif

CL groups 2012-2013 Being seeded number one doesn't give you an advantage if you ask me. Tough one.

Transfers part 1

Transfers part 2

Still have a budget left of 70 mil euro should i feel the urge to buy again. The sellings that you see are all with extras and sell-ons. So i'm guaranteed for extra money.

If you want some s.s. of some regens just ask.

Well I felt like starting a new game having already had success with inter and middlesbrough. Couldn't decide which league to go in and i thought lyon could be a good choice.

After a quick scan of the team and the passing ability the midfield had i felt i could go with a 3 man midfield with a lone amc joining the two strikers.

Quickly went about making my stamp on the team. As i wasn't going to be playing with wingers and govou couldn't play anywhere else i shipped him out. 4 million from newcastle.

I quickly brought in Andrea Barzagli (11.75m)to help the defence out while Cris is injured. Hugo Lloris (15m) in, didn't feel comfortable with any of the keepers that were there whilst coupet was going to be out for a long time.

Antonio Lopez (10m) for competition at left back, Van der Vaart (12.25m) and Riccardo Montolivo (14.25m) both to help give a bit of depth to my midfield.

And on transfer deadline day i pulled in petri pasanen for 8.5m to complete my dealings.

Just got into september and i'm unbeaten in the league winning 5 and drawing 1. Team gelling well and signings going down well with fans.

To get the 72m i messed on with the budgets a hell of a lot!

Agent Tiro

Welcome mate and good luck.

Great signings. Did you only sell Govou?

I hope you win a lot of things to get your finances back up otherwise you won't get much money next season. icon14.gif

purefun

Yeah only govou of note out. got rid of some of the deadwood in the reserves. I'm still under the wage budget, and managed to keep players on reasonable wages. I have however offered low bonuses for all competitions which could help come the end of the year.

My aim is to win as much as i can. Finances at fairly bad at minute, only 1.7m in the bank. but the team i've got is dominating the league so far. I'm also looking at nurturing the youngsters in the team.

At the minute the team is fairly young and there's only a top class striker on my list to accompany benzema.

I didn't want to sell to many players early on, see if I can make use of them, if not they'll go in future windows. So far kader keita could be one of those making a sharp exit, along with federic roux, remy vercoutre, boumsong.

I'm hoping the signings i've made will enable me to mount a serious challenge on the champions league. I'm half expecting to walk the french league, already opened up a 6 point lead in 8 games

Agent Tiro

Forgot to ask are you on 8.02? Do you play in euros or pounds?

Your signings will rip the league apart. Trust me the only one i've no experience with is Lopez.

Keita is for me a legend. But i play original, i'm patched up but that doesn't count for the players.

purefun

Yeah it's my 8.02 game and I play in pounds. Lopez is looking good. Although he keeps picking up a few yellow cards. But being able to rotate him with grosso is great. Both fast and able to run up and down that wing all day.

It could be that i haven't given Keita a chance, but Godoy has put in good performances. Unfortunately Benzema has just been injured for two months...just as Fred came back from injury so Keita may get a chance but ben arfa has played there a few times for me and he's doing well. Quite impressed with Lyon really. They've got a lot of good youngsters and a good enough starting 11 to not really warrant the amount of money i've spent. So i'm going to be really annoyed if i don't dominate the domestic competitions for the next few years.

Just a quick update having finished my third season. It was a pretty good season where we dominated the league again, won the League Cup, the French Super Cup and lost in the final of the Champions League to Liverpool.

I finally got Clerc to sign a new contract and also Coupet. I have signed Lloris (£15m) as a long term replacement for Coupet who is now 37, Tuia (£6m) and Ignacio Camacho (£9m). Since being forced to sell Toulalan I have been looking for a replacement, and at only 20 years old with pretty awesome stats Camacho was perfect. I have sold Grosso (£2.2m) and Squillaci (£525k).

My squad for season 4 will therefore line up as follows:

GK - Lloris/Coupet

DR - Clerc/Abenzoar

DL - Traore/Fabio

DC - Barzagli/Zapata/Tuia/Sakho

MR - Keita/Menez

ML - Gasbarroni/Ben Arfa

MC - Camacho/Bodmer

AMC - Fernandez/Morais

ST - Benzema/Fred/Briand/Stancu

I am hoping this young team will continue to dominate for years to come.

Agent Tiro

Offcourse Lyon is impressive. icon14.gif No question about it.

Only shame is they need a bigger stadium to generate more money so they could be more competetive with the real big guns. But on FM thats easy. icon_wink.gif

Spike

Like your squad a lot mate.

No French cup? icon_wink.gif

No serious great season. You're a fast player i see. Need to step up my game.

Purefun

Thanks for reminding me about the French Cup icon_smile.gif

I am trying to have a perfect season but it's not quite working.

Season 1

Won - League, Champions League, League Cup, French Super Cup

Lost - French Cup

Season 2

Won - League, French Cup, French Super Cup, World Club Championship

Lost - Champions League, European Super Cup, League Cup

Season 3

Won - League, League Cup, French Super Cup

Lost - Champions League, French Cup

I want a clean sweep this season.

Have been ill for the last few days, so getting through it pretty quick. Back to work tomorrow unfortunately icon_frown.gif

Hey guys, been without net access for quite awhile since the patch, seeing as Briand seems quite popular with Lyon users I was wondering hwo he fares in the patch? I know his stats have been drcreased a little, but I edited the database to make his stats the same as the 8.0.1 file (I know its cheating, but I never ended up using him on 8.0.1, and wanted to try him on this one.)

So anyway was the reason he was so good in 8.0.1, based on his stats, prefered moves etc, or did more come into it, and will the editing I did of his stats not be enough?

Originally posted by Mark.:

Hey guys, been without net access for quite awhile since the patch, seeing as Briand seems quite popular with Lyon users I was wondering hwo he fares in the patch? I know his stats have been drcreased a little, but I edited the database to make his stats the same as the 8.0.1 file (I know its cheating, but I never ended up using him on 8.0.1, and wanted to try him on this one.)

So anyway was the reason he was so good in 8.0.1, based on his stats, prefered moves etc, or did more come into it, and will the editing I did of his stats not be enough?

Really don't know mate but i know one thing though he scores for everyone Lyon, Arsenal, Barca ... i tried icon14.gif

Originally posted by Mark.:
Really don't know mate but i know one thing though he scores for everyone Lyon, Arsenal, Barca ... i tried

Ah ok, so what patch version were those saves on?

On original and 8.01.

Ask around everybody loves the guy.

And i read somewhere that on 8.02 he becomes better after a season or two (providing with 7star training ...).

Archived