Be thankful for what we have!

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well thats your good fortune laz. Read thru the forum tho and you can see the multitude of problems that still dog the game, some are imo serious enough to warrent a further patch.

I think a lot of the problems are 'self-inflicted', imagawa99...

Example? Unless you mean buying over steam? yeah i guess that one is.

I mean people imagining bugs where there are none to excuse their own inability to play the game instead of admitting their faults and asking for help...

*takes a breath*

you can't win every game, your strikers can't score every game, your midfielders can't 'boss the midfield' every game, your defenders can't be infallible every game and your keeper can't be invincible every game! Using "pot luck" instead of "trial and error" in private chat, press conferences and other interactions and not getting the desired results is not a bug, it's a failing in your own game play...

as I said, not yet encountered anything in 11.3 that makes me want to scream...

I don't think anyone would disagree that it is better than competitors but i don't see how anyone can argue that it hasn't improved as much in the last ten years as it should have in comparison to it's predecessors.

I mean if you had to compare civ 1 to civ 5 or quake 1 to quake 4 or fifa 2001 to 2011 you would mention many ways in which the new one is superior and very few in which it got worse.

That is very much a polemic, and hugely exaggerating one. If FM was remotely anything still like CM01/02, I wouldn't be here. And hey, there are people who would argue the very early Civ's are a ton better than the new one too. ;-) Obviously FM is moving into a direction in which the game just doesn't appeal to ALL fans of series entries of the past anymore. That is only natural, as I'd argue SI have always tried to develop as indepth a simulation of football management as the corresponding technology would allow them to do, all the while it still being accessible to people who aren't actually qualified to really manage a real football team. That is something fairly unique about FM that no other football game currently on the market tries to do - whether it's PES or FIFA Manager, they're all fairly action-laden games cutting both the representation of the actual pitch action and its management short of a lot of the things it is about in favor of a highly idealized version of the sports that lends itself to instant gratification. FM is all about pretending you're the man, and the game making you believe you are as much as it can and not holding back much. SI likely know they're different.

Early iterations had to be kept plain and simple, and with each iteration there had to be casualties, either because of a shift in the game's mechanics (obviously FM used to be a way simpler game as it is now) or old users just outgrowing the game after years of playing make believe football management. But there are also newcomers like me, who would have never touched something as simplistic as CM 2 back then. That is fine, as well as gathering feedback and criticism. SI are working pretty close on community feedback and criticism as is, of which there is many useful. However even as a player giving feedback rather than being the designer, I'm not one for "design by commitee" and compromising designer goals and vision simply by trying to appeal to everyone - even if that would mean I would personally belong to those that would not be catered to. Often times players would wish for more what they think they would want in the game - which isn't necesarrily what they would actually want in the game. Other times their ideas and ideals clash with the longterm vision the designers had in mind. And other times they're just tools who don't have a clue prolly happy complaining.

I'm coming from a version three years old and I' haven't once looked back. Sorry that you wouldn't agree with me, though.

Archived