The 1000 Appearance Challenge

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It wipes all appearances in the season he retired.

It might have done that but it was inaccurate from before that, so it's not just that. Also, he retired after the end of the season when I offered him a contract as a coach - he had actually planned to have one more season as a player.....

I have a player who I think might be able to make it: 27 years old at the moment and has played (according to my own calculations and not the Best XI page which I believe is wrong) 577 club games for me, plus has 83 caps for his country and clocked 21 Youth caps for his country also.

The best part is he is a striker playing in the Premier League, has an awful temper/disciplinary record and frequently gets himself injured. He is the talisman of my side and has 350 goals and 240 assists in his club/senior international career, it's just a shame I only discovered him towards the end of his first season in the game, his stats were off the rails for a 15 year old and he's been a first teamer since he came at the start of his 2nd season as a 16 year old.

Only just discovered this thread, my initial target was for him to break the Premier League scoring record (360 goals set by a Liverpool regen), but I think Valentin is well on the road to make 1000 appearances at all levels. 45 games per season until he turns 35 is about what he has done throughout his career.

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1874/jrmyvalentinhistorycare.png - Screeny of him as of right now, I'll be sure to update with any progress once he starts getting really close.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Finally, I have managed to complete this challenge in my epic FM2010 save (Lion's Share). I was trying to find someone to beat Cesc Fabregas' club record when I took over as Arsenal manager in 2023. Fabregas was still at the club, and I gave him a few last appearances before he retired, making 830 appearances for Arsenal and 119 caps for Spain.

The next year I brought Lukas Lange, a German attacking midfielder who I earmarked to beat Fabregas' record. He did so, setting a club record 925 appearances in all competitions for Arsenal, but by the age of 36 he had declined so much that I let him go on a free transfer.

However, I also bought German striker Tobias Hensel as a 16 year old in 2024, and despite his considerable potential, didn't actually use him a great deal for the first three seasons. However, it soon emerged that he was a world class talent, and he became a regular fixture in the side, breaking all sorts of goalscoring records, including an incredible season where he scored 63 goals. He was a regular first team starter all the way until he was 35 years old. He was still a useful squad player right up to the age of 37, and shortly before his 38th birthday in October 2046, managed to make his 1000th appearance for Arsenal. He even added a few more as a 38 year old, finishing with 1013 appearances and 586 goals.

The annoying thing about both Lange and Hensel was that I forgot to turn on the German national team, so neither of them picked up a single cap in their entire careers, despite being world class players who surely would have collected around 100 caps each. Lange even took on dual nationality of English but the England manager (Marouanne Fellani!) overlooked him.

For proof, my thread on FM stories has a match report of each and every one of Hensel's 1013 games played. The 1000th match is here. I've got some screenshots of his career here as well:

Hensel1.png

Hensel2.png

Hensel_bio.png

Hensel_stats.png

Archived