How would you beat a 3-4-3?

Playing Rom and keep having trouble v. Udinese's 3-4-3 even tho I am favored to win every match. Sometimes by a lot. Just not getting it right. I have tried to exploit the flanks, deep line, high line, possesion, get it forward. Nothing seems to be working right. Using a 442 with advanced wingers. Any thoughts?

A 4-5-1 formation would be my favorite choice against a 3-4-3. 4 defenders can easily handle the 3 strikers. 5-man midfield can overpower their 4. All is left is the one man against 3 defenders, but 3 against one means they are wasting a player to guard just on striker and they can be exploited easily by playing the 4-5-1 wide, focusing passing to the flanks and using wingers and a false nine striker will expose the opposition defence creating acres of space.

Direct balls over the packed midfield, play down both flanks, don't waste too much time, or turn on counter attack. Especially with 3 up front you can slaughter them by turning the 3 at the back into a major disadvantage. Use a DM if you're getting outnumbered at the back yourself.

If i'm favoured to win the game I usually start out with my wingers will wide to stretch that back 3 and play down the flanks. Usualy once I score, they tend to go with 5 at the back, at which point i narrow my formation and play through the 2 left in the middle.

Thank you all. I am going to employ this. Should have saved that game so that I could experiment. :(

One more question: Would you use AML/R or ML/R? I am guessing not a huge difference, but curious as I can very easily do either wth my current set up/match prep.

Thank you all. I am going to employ this. Should have saved that game so that I could experiment. :(

One more question: Would you use AML/R or ML/R? I am guessing not a huge difference, but curious as I can very easily do either wth my current set up/match prep.

Definatley AMR/L for me, you really want to pin there wide midfielders back as far as possible so that you can remove any 'out-ball' for them in your third, meaning you are safe to defend narrow against there front 3. If your confident in your full-backs athleticism and intelegence then you can try to push them on to create a 2v1 against there wide players, watch out for the counter attack when doing this though.

Also remember why, in real life, the 3 man defence went out of favor... Lone strikers cause them alot of issues as the 2 spare men end up with nothing to do and can get caught out high up the pitch. Try using Totti upfront by himself as a DLP with Vucinic/Menez behind him making runs beyond him from deep positions.

Archived