Tactics too hard SI

The OP wasn't really about AI "cracking" our tactics, but the difficulty in creating a successful one in the first place. That's what's bothering most of the people who have troubles getting into FM11.

That's a fair and entirely accurate point. The thread has gone off on a tangent somewhat, but personally speaking I vastly prefer the 'difficulty' of the complexity of the tactic model in the recent versions to say, the likes of 01/02 or 03/04. It was far too easy to just totally destroy and dominate those games with relalively simple tactics and mediocre players, certainly didn't add anything to the realism to be winning the Champions League with a bunch of scrubs you'd signed from non-league and the Icelandic 4th division.

Sorry, the tangent is partly my fault too...!

The best advice I can ever give is what I was told when I started with FM07 (which to me, was the first with this 'higher level' match engine) - and that is "simplify and win"... I was trying all sorts of fancy formations, instructions and the like but a cracking post from wwfan explained perfectly how the phases of the game play out and the need for control instead of attack, counter instead of defend etc. I introduced a simple 4-4-2 in line with this (even easier now with the TC) and didn't look back.

Playing a simple formation with players playing positions/roles suited to their attributes, getting the right mentality and changing it at the correct time can get you a long way.

The OP wasn't really about AI "cracking" our tactics, but the difficulty in creating a successful one in the first place. That's what's bothering most of the people who have troubles getting into FM11.

It can be hard. I started off with Everton, a team that I think had a reputation that could do well with the right tweaking of tactics without having to really work hard. If I'm honest, I didn't win the league or anything good in my first season. I think I finished 7th it wasn't until season 3 or 4 that we really did well and from then on I had a lot of success (with the odd frustrating season).

Archived