Balls of Steel

salkster2102

July 6th: After years of supporting the club I was finally hired as manager of Stocksbridge Park Steels. I have been given a 2 year contract with a wage of £200 per week. The board has requested that I avoid relegation despite the team finishing 11th in the Evo Stik Premier Division last season.

Club Information: Stocksbridge Park Steels are currently entering their second season in the Evo Stik Premier Division after being promoted in the 08/09 season.

That season is regarded as the clubs most successful season as they won the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup a few days before winning the playoff final. Stocksbridge have won the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup 5 times. The steels play in yellow shirts with blue sleeves, blue shorts and yellow socks with blue hoops. Stocksbridge play at Bracken Moor which has a maximum capacity of 3500 and has a stand which has 450 seats.

After signing my contract I asked the current assistant manager Gary Ingham to make me a squad list.

Goalkeepers

Ben Scott: A good goalkeeper for this level. Even though he is a bit of a nutter he will be my number one goalie.

Adam Ogden: A good shot stopper who will provide good backup to Ben Scott. Will play in the cup games.

Dave Ratcliffe: Dave is a useful keeper but isn’t as good asthe other two. Will be released immediately.

Full Backs

Stuart Ludlam: Stuart looks like a solid right back. Technically he is quite poor but makes up for it with his mental attributes. Will likely be second choice right back.

Adam Green: Very good defensively and will also do a good job at centre back if required. Will be first choice right back.

Kevin Davies: Kevin looks like a solid left back and will offer good experience to the squad. Will probably get rotated a bit.

Paul Smith: Paul spent 11 years in the football league with Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday. He still possesses the ability at set pieces but is at the wrong side of 30. Only a few years left in him but will be rotated around with Davies.

Darren Schofield: Darren is a few years older than Smith but has spent 7 years at the club. Will unfortunately have to release him as he can’t offer much.

Centre Backs:

Kevin Dawson: Kevin has two brothers who are much better than him named Michael and Andy respectively. He could have played longer professionally if he didn’t enjoy eating as many pies as he does. Good enough for this level though despite him only just being faster than my granddad.

Brett Lovell: Brett is a very tall centre back and has only got to this level because of his ability in the air. Wouldn’t mind keeping but will replace if I can.

Richard Haigh: Quite poor in the air for a centre back but does like to get stuck in. May replace if I can.

Wingers:

Alex Callery: Alex tends to drifts in and out of games but when he’s in it he is hard to stop. Can play on both wings.

Steve Woolley: Doesn’t look too good and will replace if I can.

Alvin Riley: Ingham doesn’t really rate him and I can’t say I blame him. Will replace.

Centre Midfielders:

Paul Dempsey: Came to the club once Ilkeston had been wound up. Defensively very good and loves a tackle. Will be first choice.

Steve Hawes: Steve is a similar player to Dempsey but no way near as good. Will be backup if not replaced.

Richard Stirrup: Was a youngster at Sheffield Wednesday and did ok in his first season at the club. Probobly not up to it at this level.

Ben Leonard: Ben is a former Bury player who showed some promise there until a nasty knee injury. Provides a big aerial presence and could prove useful.

Steve Wilkinson: Get rid.

Strikers:

Colin Marrison: Best striker at the club who I expect to be top scorer at the end of the season. Will be first choice.

Jack Muldoon: A fast striker who can also play on the wing will prove useful as an impact player.

Mark Ward: May not have the strength or the speed of a top player but has the technical ability and can produce something out of nothing.

Andy Ring: Andy is seen as a fan favourite at the club after scoring the playoff winning goal two years ago. Is in his 8th year at the club at 25 years old and his aerial ability will be handy.

After reading the report I decided that I will be in need of a few centre backs, 2 or 3 wingers and a centre midfielder. I then asked Gary to arrange a friendly between the first team and the reserves and then take his P45 on the way out as I felt he wasn’t good enough.

Gentleman thank you for the comments. Scalamunger I hope for the exact opposite. Mark I only have to crop Ross Hannah and that problem is solved ;)

This save is played on 11.2 using RTC's Database extending the league system down to level 8.

The first two updates are very long as I want to get pre-season out of the way. From then on I will be sticking to a style similar to that of mark wilsons.

July 7th: Gary Ingham today left the club and has been replaced Welshman Huw Lloyd. Following Ingham out of the door are Wilkinson, Schofield, Riley, Wooley, Stirrup and Ratcliffe.

July 8th: Our friendly against the reserves ended up in a 1-1 draw with Richard Haigh getting the goal for the first team. The reserves played most of the match with ten men but both sides showed a distinct lack of quality going forward. Kevin Davies has damaged his knee cap and will miss the start of the season.

July 11th: Our next friendly saw us take the short visit over to Wakefield who play in the Evo Stik First Division North. Youngster Kevin Williams got the only goal of the game in the 64th minute in a 1-0 victory for us. Andy Ring missed a penalty in the first half. Despite us getting a clean sheet Wakefield’s player manager Steve Nicholson decided to publically criticise our defense.

July 13th: Our third friendly saw us face Warrington Town who also play in the Evo Stik First Division North. Wayne Townley put the hosts in front in the 55th minute but that was cancelled out by youngster Dennis Williams with a penalty. Brett Lovell managed to score a winner in stoppage time to give us a 2-1 victory.

July 15th: I managed to make 3 signings today. Michael West a 22 year old CM joins us after being released by Lancaster. 33 year old left winger John Stannard has signed after being 3 years out of the game but has lots of experience at this level. My final signing is James Naylor on loan from Harrogate. James is a 21 year old left winger and was recommended by my assistant.

July 16th: The first of our two home friendlies saw us face Blue Square North opposition in Hyde. Andy Ring gave us an early lead and Hydes problems rose when Andrew Smart got a straight red for a bad tackle. Ring sealed the win on 50 minutes though Hyde had a goal ruled out towards the end. The only bad news to come out of the match was that Stewart Ludlam has broken his ankle and will be out for 3-4 months.

July 19th: Our good form in pre-season came to an end after a 2-0 defeat away at Rainworth.Goals from Craig Mitchel and Ant Lynam gave the Evo-Stik First Division South team a deserved win.

July 22nd: The big friendly of pre-season came against Sheffield Wednesday where a big crowd of 2985 turned out to watch a good match. Tom Rowbotham gave The Owls the lead in the 9th minute. Marrison missed a penalty for us in the 27th minute and the visitors punished him when they took a 2-0 lead through Tom Poulton. Stannard pulled a goal back but any fightback was cancelled out when Luke Boden scored a penalty. The 4-1 rout was completed by Thomas Hall towards the end. Stannard will miss the start of the season after picking up a thigh strain when scoring his goal.

July 25th: A few more moves in the transfer market today. Dean Hudson a Welsh 19 year old CB joins on a free. Joining him is Lee Hildreth a 21 year old CM who played well for the England triallists. The signings of these two allowed me to release Brett Lovell and Steve Hawes.

July 26th: Our second to last friendly saw us beat Curzon Ashton 3-0 with goals from Marrison, Hudson and Ring.

July 29th: Our final friendly saw us face Salford City of Evo-Stik first Division North. It unfortunately ended in a 2-1 defeat with the Salford keeper scoring an own goal for us.

July 30th: My final transfer of the summer is Gerwyn Jones an 18 year old Welsh CB.

Next Game - Worksop Town - Away - Evo Stik Premier

Thanks Scott, I will try and make the title race a little more interesting than in real ;)

August 5th: Injury news sees Kevin Davies and Jack Muldoon return to training after injuries. Andy Ring however picked up a groin strain and will be out for 3 weeks after a good pre-season.

August 14th: Before our first match of the season the draw for the Evo-Stik League Cup Second Qualifying Round sees us face an away trip to Stamford.

Our first match of the season is an away trip to rivals Worksop Town. Worksop ground share at Cannon Park and are managed by former Hibernian player Martyn Mcintosh. Mcintosh stated before the match that he thinks that we are going to get relegated. Way to do my team talk for me.

Stocksbridge Team (442) – Scott, Green, Jones, Hudson, Davies, Callery, Hildreth, Dempsey, Naylor, Marrison, Ward

Subs: Ogden, Dawson, Smith, Muldoon, Haigh

Saturday August 14th 2010 - Worksop Town

Venue: Cannon Park

It was a rather dull start to the match with the first effort on goal not coming till twenty minutes. Marrison got in behind the Worksop defense but didn’t have the pace to get away from them forcing him to drag his effort wide. The match continued to stay dull and Knox should have done better 5 minutes before the break after a scramble in the box. Knox skied his effort though giving a sigh of relief at the away end. The first half ended with the feel of pre-season still in the air.

Half time: 0-0

Straight after the break Ward was given a clear sight at goal in the box after Callery’s flick on, Ward though skied his effort worse than Knox and a goal kick was given. 5 minutes later Melkie should have put Worksop in the lead but Scott made a good save from point blank range and the ball was cleared. Worksop were starting to pile on the pressure and Jackson forced a good save from Scott on the hour mark. Muldoon and Smith were then brought on to replace Ward and Naylor to freshen things up a bit soon after. Worksop took a deserved lead on 66 minutes when experienced striker David Graham headed in Simpsons cross. A few tactical tweaks with the wingers pushing further forward and we got the equaliser. Muldoon firing in a cracker from twenty yards from Marrison’s layoff with ten minutes remaining. The hosts though retook the lead on 85 minutes when Bacon replicated Muldoons effort to put Worksop in the ascendancy. We couldn’t find an equaliser though and Worksop ran out 2-1 winners.

Full Time: Worksop Town 2 – 1 Stocksbridge Park Steels

Scorers: Graham (66) Bacon (84)

Muldoon (76)

MOTM: D. Graham

Att: 312

League Position: 14th

Next Match: Colwyn Bay – Away – Evo-Stik Premier

Archived