Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

More than happy with that performance, created lots of chances and kept going when they werent going in.

Lauren's miss was my fault, I always turn my back on pens but didnt last night. icon_frown.gif

So Henry only needs two more to break the record, and as the tannoy announcer pointed out last night after his second, Cygan only needs another 183 icon_cool.gif

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely looked a bit more like the old Arsenal there. Was mostly pleased for Reyes - he was looking very lively, and was making the right choices. Slightly worried he may wake with a saw thigh this morning though. Hleb was outstanding in the first half, but seemed to drift out of the game later on... but he looks a great signing.

Fabregas was awesome - popping up all over the place spraying the ball about. If he could shoot more consistently, we'd be saying "who the hell is Lampard?" icon_wink.gif

As for Lauren - well, it seems to Lauren stare doesn't work on everyone. There was just no power in the shot. He did alright defensively though... and has done generally all 3 matches so far.

He hasn't taken that many. Which was why I questioned it when people were going OTT about his penalty taking ability in the summer.

One missed penalty doesn't mean he's rubbish of course, but 5 scored don't make him the best penalty taker evarrrrrrr either.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Its the first penalty he's ever missed full stop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talking about throwing a record away - wasn't even that good a kick icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

He hasn't taken that many. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, he has taken quite a few and pretty much all of them have been in pressure situations.

Missed the game last night as I was at my sister's 21st.

Hleb and Reyes played wide, with Gilberto and Cesc in the centre?

Hleb tired a bit in the Chelski game too, but that's the only part of his game that needs to adapt- he's slotted in brilliantly.

Hleb was on the right, Reyes on the left. Hleb is a hard worker, and isn't shy of running back to cover in defence. He's not very good at the defensive side it seems, but being a presense is a start! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Hleb and Reyes played wide, with Gilberto and Cesc in the centre?

Hleb tired a bit in the Chelski game too, but that's the only part of his game that needs to adapt- he's slotted in brilliantly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, Hleb looked awesome last night, i didnt realise how much of a ball winner he was. he likes to get stuck in with tackles, i always thought he was out and out attacking.

• SI Staff

Was pleased with the performance yesterday, looked back to our usual selves.

Reyes looked lively and went on a few good runs and Henry took his goals well. Couldn't believe that Lauren missed the penalty either, was bigging him up before he took it too icon_frown.gif

And the tannoy guy announcing that Cygan was only 183 goals behind Wright's record icon_biggrin.gif

I've forgotten what I was going to type, erm.... ********

Oh yea I remember, what were our subs last night because MoTD didn't say and I wasn't able to figure them out? Clichy came on and so did Flamini, so I'm assuming they came on for Cole and Cesc? But I think I saw Cesc on still?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal on Achille's trail

Arsenal look set to challenge Lyon for the signature of Achille Emana.

Lyon are long-term admirers of the Toulouse midfielder as they view him as the ideal replacement for Michael Essien, after selling the Ghanaian to Chelsea.

However, Tony Adams was in the stands at Lille scouting the highly-rated youngster for Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.

"I am here for Emana," the former England captain told L'Equipe.

"Arsene Wenger asked me to come and see him play.

"I believe he is looking for a midfielder to replace Patrick Vieira."

Lyon officials were also in attendance for Wednesday evening's 0-0 draw but Les Violets chairman Olivier Sadran has no desire to sell the African ace.

"I have not tried to find a replacement," said Sadran. "Because I think Achille will stay.

"I have an agreement with the player.

"If Lyon give us a cheque with the required bank guarantees, he will leave.

"But be careful, the price is €7 million (£4.77 million), that means there are several other things besides, but I won't tell you what."

Meanwhile, l'OL supremo Jean-Michel Aulas has definitely refused to allow Pierre Alain Frau to leave on loan, despite late interest from Lens.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Aliadiere joins West Ham on loan

French striker Jeremie Aliadiere has joined West Ham on loan from Arsenal.

The 22-year-old joined Celtic in July on a year-long loan but has decided to move back to the Premiership, with the Hammers taking over the deal.

Aliadiere made only two appearances for the Glasgow side, both as a substitute against Artmedia Bratislava in the Champions League qualifying round.

"I am very disappointed this has not worked out the way I thought it would," the Frenchman said.

A Celtic spokesman said: "Unfortunately, things didn't work out in a football sense for Jeremie and he wanted to return to England."

Even after a long-term injury to Chris Sutton, Aliadiere found himself behind John Hartson, new signing Maciej Zurawski, and in-form youngsters Shaun Maloney and Craig Beattie.

He had been particularly looking forward to Champions League football with Celtic, but the Glasgow club fell to Artmedia in the first qualifying hurdle.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see the point of Celtic taking Aliadiere on and then putting him behind Scottish nippers!

I'd rather he played for someone like West Ham though. Just hope he gets to play or its a waste of time.

• SI Staff

Yeah, can't believe Strachan didn't play him more than he did. Think he will get more playing time at West Ham than he was going to get at Celtic, he'll playing in the Premiership too as opposed to the joke league in Scotland

West Ham have got Harewood, Zamora and Sheringham... must be some opportunities surely?

Two of those are of questionable Premiership quality, and the other is too old.

Oh, they have got David Bellion as well though! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

I don't see the point of Celtic taking Aliadiere on and then putting him behind Scottish nippers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. It's Strachan

2. The Scottish nippers may be better

3. Longer term thinking

4. It's Strachan

5. FRRREEEEEEEDOOOMMMMMMMMM!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah I <3 cantona:

Arsenal on Achille's trail </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely "... on Arhille's heels" would have been better ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

1. It's Strachan

2. The Scottish nippers may be better

3. Longer term thinking

4. It's Strachan

5. FRRREEEEEEEDOOOMMMMMMMMM! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which is why I said I didn't see the point in taking him on in the first place. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Surely "... on Arhille's heels" would have been better ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are supposing these journos are intelligent... which is a mistake clearly! icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Surely "... on Arhille's heels" would have been better ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are supposing these journos are intelligent... which is a mistake clearly! icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially Sky Sports. icon_rolleyes.gif

Arsène Wenger has a new signing in his sights.

Ahead of the Fulham game, the Arsenal manager suggested that he would acquire only a goalkeeper before the transfer window closes on August 31. But, following the collapse of the deal to sign Sebastian Viera, he did not have a specific player in mind.

After Wednesday night’s victory, Wenger was a little more precise. “We are chasing a player, yes,†he said. “I’ll try to bring him in.â€

When asked if this was to be a squad member or a first-team regular, the Frenchman replied: “We usually make them high-profile once they are here.â€

Of course, the target in question could be an outfield player. The manager is keeping his cards close to his chest at this stage.

When any deal is officially completed, the first announcement will be on Arsenal.com.

I love how that article talks about Tony Adams scouting him so it must be Arsenal who want the player, completely ignoring the fact he works for Feynoord.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

I love how that article talks about Tony Adams scouting him so it must be Arsenal who want the player, completely ignoring the fact he works for Feynoord. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Adams did say "Arsene Wenger asked me to come and see him play."

Kinda rules out Feyenoord unless Wenger is planning on moving to Holland.

• SI Staff

I thought Wenger said yesterday that we would sign a keeper, and not an outfield player? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He lied icon_frown.gif

So cloak and dagger icon_redface.gif

Quite exciting isnt it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About time too! Mind you - I don't blame him for being so guarded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbie:

some punk on betfair saying ashton for arsenal 6 million. any credence? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope not, not at £6m!

So cloak and dagger icon_redface.gif

Quite exciting isnt it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About time too! Mind you - I don't blame him for being so guarded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly. Nobody mention the Beast. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When asked if this was to be a squad member or a first-team regular, the Frenchman replied: “We usually make them high-profile once they are here.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ivory Coast teenager then

Ivory Coast teenager then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had to read that bit twice myself before I could believe he said it! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wilbie:

press confrence @ 2pm </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is 2pm!

Archived