Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

I think Reyes and Van Persie will be stars... jail sentences aside. icon_wink.gif

Reyes imo has more natural ability but his mental toughness is the question mark hanging over him.

With RvP his temperament is still under question, but he demonstrated last season that he is prepared to deal with that, and he did so extremely impressively after the Southampton match. If anything that suggests to me he has what it takes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree (assumes Star Wars voice):

If RvP harnesses and controls his temperament then he it will become a powerful weapon.

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

Cole wants to take his case against his fine to another level, probably the court of arbitration, i repeat, rot off Ashley Cole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only have to put up with it for one more season bud.

And i'm tempted to email Arsenal.com begging them not to sign Mavuba. I've seen enough to suggest he's like Flamnini without the passing ability.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

Cole wants to take his case against his fine to another level, probably the court of arbitration, i repeat, rot off Ashley Cole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only have to put up with it for one more season bud.

And i'm tempted to email Arsenal.com begging them not to sign Mavuba. I've seen enough to suggest he's like Flamnini without the passing ability. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes because i'm sure what you've seen of him is more than Arsene's scouts or Arsene himself icon_biggrin.gif

I've seen him play a few times for his country and i thought he was perfectly decent.

It's not like Wenger to buy a player who then turns out a total flop.

They are a few exceptions to this obviously but usually at the price he gets that sort of player, the risks are very little.

And just for the record, Mavuba's had a hell of a season for Bordeaux last year. He was truly outstanding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr_dR3:

I heard you were scouting Vincent Kompany today (Anderlecht - Slavia Prague).

Well, if you have even a bit decent scouts, you'll buy him right away.

At 18 he's allready 10 times as good as any Campbells and Clichys you have now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif 10 times as good as Cambells and Clychys, huh!...

Usually "10 times" is when you're better than someone; not as good as.

You might very well be right though; i never seen the guy play before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Vincent Kompany is a big prospect ... weren't Chelsea following him last season as well ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think everybody's watched him at some stage; he's been a regular at Anderlecht for a while and made his international debut at a stupidly young age.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dr_dR3:

I heard you were scouting Vincent Kompany today (Anderlecht - Slavia Prague).

Well, if you have even a bit decent scouts, you'll buy him right away.

At 18 he's allready 10 times as good as any Campbells and Clichys you have now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you hear that, anyway...?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> By Ian Grant

It looks as if Arsene Wenger needs a new South American scout.

According to our sources, when Uruguayan keeper Sebastian Viera turned up at Colney the coaching staff were dismayed to see that Viera is only slightly taller than Ashley Cole. The keeper did not fail a fitness test, so much as a size test.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> By Ian Grant

It looks as if Arsene Wenger needs a new South American scout.

According to our sources, when Uruguayan keeper Sebastian Viera turned up at Colney the coaching staff were dismayed to see that Viera is only slightly taller than Ashley Cole. The keeper did not fail a fitness test, so much as a size test.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh dear.

Isn't he the Uruguayan number one though...?

How embarassing...!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

I'd already done some preparatory stats for FM2006, and from what I could find he is just over 6 foot.

f*cking shambles tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, some closure on this story would be good.

Doubt he'll want to sit on the bench and Lehmann will defo be number 1 i reckon this season with the World Cup and all that ... with his "feud" with Kahn i reckon he may well be on his best behaviour and play well this season in order to win that keepers spot for the Hun !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

meh thats your brain playing trick on you, you've mentioned him more times than I've said lauren ifffffffb.

It is a good shout though, but he wont want to sit on the bench.

We should just bite the bullet and go and get Issakksson now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is he at Rennes ? If so, they cannot be happy about all their keepers leaving, what with Cech as well ... maybe everyone should keep their eye on who Rennes scout ! icon_eek.gif

should have signed Niemi years ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, no one seemed to want to take a risk on him then -/ I thought Arsenal should have gone in for Paul Robinson before Speerzz signed him as well, 2.5 million - good price !

I wanted us to get Robinson, and I've never been that convinced with Taylor... so it wasn't me who said that! icon_smile.gif

Stack is only on loan isn't he - or is my mind playing tricks on me again? I like the look of Stack as well... he strikes me as a much more solid keeper than Taylor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Where did Stack go ? I guess Wenger has decided that this Howard bloke is the youngster of choice </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is on loan at Reading... I'm pretty sure it's a loan anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

I wanted us to get Robinson, and I've never been that convinced with Taylor... so it wasn't me who said that! icon_smile.gif

Stack is only on loan isn't he - or is my mind playing tricks on me again? I like the look of Stack as well... he strikes me as a much more solid keeper than Taylor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's on loan with a view to a permanent move in January, so our minds seem pretty made up.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Gunners will go for a Song

Arsenal will take Alexandre Billong Song on loan this season, after the Cameroon international impressed on a pre-season tour of Austria with the Premiership club.

Song has been waiting to see where his future lies, after his club Bastia made it clear they favoured a permanent sale.

The Corsican club appear to have softened their stance however, with The Gunners rumoured to be paying €500,000 (£344,000) for a year's loan.

Manager Arsene Wenger will also have the option of making the player's stay permanent next summer, with a fee of around €4 million (£2.7m) for the versatile African.

Song,18, is the nephew of Rigobert, who played in The Premiership with the likes of West Ham and Liverpool.

Wenger will feel that he has bought the chance to take a proper extended look at the teenager, and will be keen to see if he can adapt to a midfield role or impress in central defence.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A signing \o/

Well sort of.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slightly Welsh Shrew:

I'm sure Alexandre was Rigobert's brother earlier in the thread... icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way these Africans lie about their age, he could well be his grandson.

bit weird getting him on loan. Can't see him playing that much in the first team so how are we to truly asses him? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. Maybe he sees Song as more of a centre-back than a defensive midfielder; seeing as that's where we're weakest.

He played in midfield when he was on trial though didn't he..?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slightly Welsh Shrew:

Didn't we agree a fee for Robinson, but his wage demands were too high so we broke off talks? Seem to remember something like that anyway.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure i read somewhere that he trained with us but didn't do well enough on some tests that Wenger had him do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

Didn't we agree a fee for Robinson, but his wage demands were too high so we broke off talks? Seem to remember something like that anyway.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure i read somewhere that he trained with us but didn't do well enough on some tests that Wenger had him do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giving him an A level economics paper was a little harsh imo.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure i read somewhere that he trained with us but didn't do well enough on some tests that Wenger had him do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giving him an A level economics paper was a little harsh imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think it was more to do with flexibility icon_biggrin.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giving him an A level economics paper was a little harsh imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol icon_biggrin.gif

I've read we had robinson down to train with the club and wenger decided that physically he was too much of a lump to take on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He is a bit of a piemaster, to be fair.

Archived