FM11: Official AS Roma thread, fly on the wings of love

Falahk

Just finished my first season with Roma which is 2012/13. Took over team in 9th, dropped to 14th and finished...3rd! CL qualification was the main goal and we achieved it.

Serie A

21 played, 15w, 2d, 4l from when I took over.

After a very slow started (1w, 3l), the side seemed to really grow into the Fluid/Standard 442 with advanced wingers. Once I figured out that Adriano still had gas in the tank, the side exploded into life. I also signed Barreto from Bari and he finished second in the league in goals. Vucinic was also superb...when he wasn't hurt or suspended. Discipline a huge problem for this club, so it is nice to have a pretty good sized side.

Italian Cup

In a word, infuriating. Took the side to the final with a stellar semi final win v. Juventus only to completely fall apart v. Udinese early and just never got it back. Maybe it is the 343 they play or maybe I am awful at finals, but this was very disappointing. The team just never got off the bus.

Roster News

Starters: Curci, Jallet, Toloi, Mexes, Molinaro, Guberti, Brighi, De Rossi, Sako/Vucinic, Adriano, Barreto

Scoring Leaders - Vucinic - 22, Adriano - 19, Barreto - 9, Sako - 8

Best player - Mexes - played 45 matches, Vucinic - 7.41 in 35 matches

Retiring players - Totti (:**)), Juan, Labont

Too many yellow cards means that I still think the side should be pretty large. Seems like I had a suspended player every game for the last 10.

Would like to add a WC left back and/or a central mid. Brighi is solid, but he doesnt really come up with too many great performances, tho that could be down to the tactic.

Next season the title will be the goal right out of the gate.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys so I got bored of waiting for the patch and couldn't resist starting a little Roma save, I'll start another one when the patch comes out and play properly as I've only had a small database and not paid as much attention to the transfer market as I should do. Anyway I've played 3 seasons, here's what happened and how it went...

Season 1:

In: Summer: Sergio Araujo - 1.4m

January: Armin Bacinovic - 3m, Terence Makengo - 750k, Coutinho - loan

Out: Nobody

Araujo is one for the future so no real changes to the squad for the first half of the season, we lost 2-1 to Inter in the SuperCup and really we were hammered, afterwards however we won 8 straight games to top the league and our CL group. Eventually we finished second to Chelsea and our league form dropped off, not helped by long term injuries to Adriano and Borriello forcing us to return to the old Totti upfront on his own formation. A poor run over the middle of the season looked like we might miss out on the top 4 but Totti came good in the run in with some longshots and freekicks to propel us to 3rd, level with Juve and a point ahead of Milan but 3 behind Champions Udinese (!?). In the CL we were knocked out in the last 16 by Arsenal on away goals and by Sampdoria in the Coppa semi final.

Season 2:

In: Summer: Borriello - 8.75m, G Burdisso - 2.2m, Ezequiel Munoz - 6m, Alberto Paloschi - 2.7m, Coutinho - loan, Kofi Agyei - loan, Nicolas Lodeiro - 8.75m, 2 regens, promoted Bertolacci to the first team

January: Guido Marilungo - 2.1m

Out: Various people totalling 6m most notably including Perrotta, Juan, Cassetti, Adriano, Cicinho, Taddei, Simplicio

I thought we had some good young talent but it really didn't show this year. We struggled badly from the start with Totti out for almost all the season with various knocks, we were never in the title race and never posed enough of a goal threat or had the consistency we needed. I was considering trying some new tactics as I thought the players were better than they were showing, I had been playing 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, both pretty similar really only trading an AMC for a DM but neither was working, the 4-3-3 had no threat while the 4-2-3-1 looked unbalanced and we were being taken advantage of on the break. Anyway somehow we muddled through to need a win on the last day against Napoli to finish 4th, we drew and finished 5th, disappointed. In the CL we were amazingly top seeds and won an easy group and somehow got past Chelsea in the last 16, but not Man City in the Quarters. In the Cup we lost in the first round playing a reserve team, all in all it was not good but there were some good points, Lodeiro had a good debut season while G Burdisso and Munoz looked a good CB partnership and Paloschi knows where the goal is. Major disappointments were Vucinic who sucked badly and Tottis injuries, we finished a whopping 20 points behind Inter with Lodeiro top scorer with just 10, oh dear.

Season 3:

In: Summer: Curci - 1.6m, Hatem Ben Arfa - free, Lucas Biglia - free, Lassana Diarra - 5.25m, Sebastien Bassong - 6.75m, Coutinho - loan (again, thanks Inter), regens n stuff

January: Nika Kvekveskiri - 4.7m

Out: People including Doni, Pizarro, Baptista, Barusso, Riise, Menez

So onto season 3 and we started with a 1-0 win with a goal from a corner over promoted Triestina at home, we created zero and I was on the brink of changing tactics. However the next game provided a spectacular comeback from 2 down against Sampdoria to win 5-2, Paloschi bagged a hattrick and the team never looked back, the 4-3-3 was fantastic all year. The team looked balanced and we got a good number of goals from all sources to top the league at Christmas and then we really looked like we could do it, Juve were our only challengers but we got a draw there to secure the title. We didn't worry about the Europa League much and lost in the Quarters but won the Coppa with a 1-0 win over Lazio at the Olimpico, which was nice. The fans agreed with my choice for player of the season on Lodeiro who is a brilliant player, 15 goals and 21 assists from midfield was fantastic. Paloschi topscored with 20 while Vucinic finally did himself justice with 19 and Ben Arfa bagged 15 despite missing 234523752 penalties. Team of the year looked like this:

-------------------------------------------------------Curci-------------------------------------------------

Diarra------------------------Mexes----------------------------------G Burdisso------------------Bassong

----------------------------------------------------Bacinovic---------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------Lodeiro------------------------------------De Rossi---------------------------

Ben Arfa------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Vucinic

-----------------------------------------------------Paloschi---------------------------------------------------

I've reached the Xmas break of my '12-'13 season, my third at Roma. I thought the first half of last season was great but this year Roma has been truly dominant. In 26 total matches played we've only lost 3 times, all away games. We lost the Italian Super Cup @ Inter on penalties, and we lost 2 of our Europa League group stage matches on the road at Celtic & Aris. Even with the 2 group stage losses we still advanced out of the group stage. Our defense and goalkeeping has been terrific. Neto & Curci have combined for 16 clean sheets and Neto has 9 straight clean sheets and has only conceded 2 goals all year.

Serie A:

Through 17 league games Roma are the only undefeated side in the Serie A and we're the only team that hasn't conceded 10 goals yet. Roma have won 13 games and drawn 4 for a total of 43 points to lead the Serie A. We're 7 points up on 2nd place Juventus.

Europa League:

As I mentioned above we did lose twice in the group stage but still qualified. We take on German side HSV in the first knockout round. Probably the biggest surprise in Italy for the season was that AC Milan failed to get out of their Europa League group losing 2 road games and a home game. They were grouped with Young Boys, FC Lorient, & AZ. Lorient beat them both times and Young Boys beat them once.

Roster News:

On the injury front we've been pretty good. Boriello just went down but will only miss a few weeks. Julio Baptista is out with a hamstring and won't return until March.

In contract news we've reached an impasse with Francesco Totti. I won't offer him another player contract and he won't consider a coaching only contract. Guess I'll let him walk away then see if he retires or if I can get him as a coach only in the offseason.

Transfer News:

I've got two new midfielders coming to Roma in July. We got Jorge Valdivia from Palmeiras for 14.5M Euros and Nacho Gonzales from Valencia for 2.4M Euros. I didn't need them right now as I still have a bunch of midfielders but they'll be joining after the season. They'll replace Simplicio and Pizzaro, both of whom I'm refusing to resign.

Hopefully we'll have a better, healthier second half then we did last year.

2011/2012 Season Summary

Serie A

romaleauge2.png

after trailing the top for much of the season, a pair of 1-0 wins vs Fiorentina and Inter put us top on results between teams with 4 games to go, Lecce away, Palermo home, Siena away, Atalanta home, to sum stuff up we caved in big time and recorded 4 draws in a row

Champions League

we had a group consisting of Sevilla, Zenit and Trabzonspor, sounds easy right? indeed that was my thought to and I played lots of youngsters on that basis, this almost made us blow a place among the last 16, and it was all down to the final match home to Zenit which we thankfully managed to win after a slightly dubious goal

Arsenal? it could have been worse, Ajax? easy, Lyon? easy, Marseille? easy

champions :cool:

Coppa Italia

we came across Sampdoria in the first round of this thingy, no need to say more about our efforts in this competition, the cool part was surly the cup run produced by Serie C1 team Ascoli, they made it all the way to the final knocking out Napoli, Inter and Lazio on the way

Super Cup

this time we was up against Napoli, at the start we spoted Cavani and Hamsik on low fitness, and hence went in properly hard on them, knocking Cavani out for 3 months and Hamsik for 2, not only did this give us an easy ride to an 1-0 win after De Rossi nodded home an Totti freekick, it also put last years title winners out of contention this year

Players

Top Goalscorers

Hulk -20

Marco Borriello/Philipe Mexes - 10

Francesco Totti/Mirko Vucinic - 7

Guillermo Burdisso - 4

Rodrigo Taddei/Stefano Pettinari - 3

Top Providers

Francesco Totti - 15

Mirko Vucinic - 8

Hulk - 7

John Arne Riise/Marco Borriello/David Pizarro - 5

Philipe Mexes/Fabio Simplicio - 4

Transfers

we got the much needed wide goal threat in the signing of Hulk, and shipped the underpreforming Adriano (Adriano scored 2 goals in 13 (9) starts last season) to make room for him

Romatransfers2-1.png

Tactics

just like mentioned we mainly played 4-3-3/4-5-1 this year, with the odd change to counter specific formations

im glad I waited out the youth intake, got a right back who could be one of the best players of his generation, while Adriano got nominated signing of the season (lol)

Purefun: thought I overspent to get Hulk, and paying this kind of money while playing Roma feels a bit wrong, but he was the most suitable player for the tactic I had in mind, so not much to do about it really

im glad I waited out the youth intake, got a right back who could be one of the best players of his generation, while Adriano got nominated signing of the season (lol)

Purefun: thought I overspent to get Hulk, and paying this kind of money while playing Roma feels a bit wrong, but he was the most suitable player for the tactic I had in mind, so not much to do about it really

Screenshot or it didn't happen. ;) I had the same on my FM10 save in the latest season, at 16 he's already rated at 2.5 stars and Good Serie A player.

And I agree with Purefun, 16M is a great price for Hulk. It must be awesome to have won the CL in your second season. :thup:

Edit: looked back in the thread and you have both full-back positions covered for the long term with Franco Franco and now this one. :cool:

gollum65: have not had anything like that on my current roma save, my defense have not really been as good as I have hoped for it to be :(, but since I have a few players on the way up I dont feel like buying ether.....have seen similar results on my fm11 barca save and on fm10 thought

Romanista1994:

martucci1.png

martucci2.png

So, my nemisis seems to be Udinese. Any thoughts on how to beat their 3-4-3? Starting to **** me off.

ref just handed them the european supercup on my save, silly penalty call and hulk sent of, while hadanovic ofcorse finished the game with a 8,7 match rating and a cleansheat

but its dubtful they will become the challange they was on my fm10 save, right now i seam to have more problems with Sampdoria

Still working through my '12-'13 season. It took 27 Serie A matches before someone finally beat us. Catania came into Olimpico and beat us 2-0. To be fair to my team it was our 4th match in 12 days so I think it was just that the team was out of gas.

In other news I was quite surprised to see that Man. U wasn't going to resign Michael Carrick. I know he's over 30 but I still think he's really good so I signed him on a free. He'll join the team in July when his MU contract runs out.

looks like there's no major changes to the squad on the new patch, with Baptista sold and Chicino loaned out, I have removed them from the op, gonna give the op a facelift/update when i have time to do so

Adriano just had his contract rescinded it seems, I think I'll just edit him out of my team when I start my game.

yup seams confirmed, think I will keep playing my 11,2,1 save since i have already sold the players who have left, and im considering to do a fullscaled databas edit for roma (and maybe some additional stuff from serie a) to add all recent stuff and make small tweaks here and there based on my own observations

At the half way point of my first full season as Roma manager ('13-'14).

Serie A: First place, 2 points up on Napoli, for whom Cavani has an immense 21 goals in 19.

CL: Finished top of group (Liverpool, Fenerbace, Partizan) and play CSKA Moskow in R.16.

Supercup: Just about to blow poor Regina off the field at home.

Notes:

We have only lost once in the league to.. Udinese :( and once in CL to Fenerbace in the group stage away.

De Rossi just amazing for us. DLP works very well in conjunction with Brighi as box to box. Maor Buzaglo is also good in the Brighi's slot.

Bakary Sako, who was already purchased when I arrived, has been unbelievable. He has 8 goals from the wing and is close to the top in assists.

Vucinic, Barreto, Pazzini, Sako and Berbatov all have 7 or more goals each. I tend to spread it out.

The 442 with advanced wingers is working very well. In particular, now that I am using an attack setting to start at Home, the goals are flowing. I rotate all of the aforementioned players and occasionally Adriano into the 4 slots (that they can play). I will give up a few, but that is down to poor end game management, tbf.

I thought I would really like Pazzini and I got him for $13mil US, which I thought was pretty good, but he is a prima donna quite a bit. I think I might have solved it by praising him/criticizing him privately after matches. I blasted him a few games ago and he came out and played an absolute stormer v. Cagliari. We'll see.

Winning the league is most important, but hopefully we will go deep in all competitions.

@Rio_V: Sounds like you have a good season going. Good luck the rest of the way.

The 2012-2013 season has been completed by my Roma side, my 3rd as their manager. Overall it was a much better year then last season. We won another trophy, and this time it was the most important. Roma secured their first Scudetto since 2001!

Serie A

After a shaky start the first few fixtures of the season we roared out to a huge lead over Juventus and held it for almost the whole season. At one point in February we were up 12 points in the table. We did run out of gas a bit near the end, and I did play reserves & U20 players the last 2 games so the final standings are closer then the season really went. We had wrapped up the Scudetto with 3 games to play.

Final 2012-2013 Serie A Table

Final 2012-2013 Roma Stats

UEFA Europa League

We met board expectations by reaching the quarterfinals of the Europa League where we took on Valencia. While we put up a good effort in the end we couldn't overcome the Spanish powerhouse. Valencia beat us 2-1 in Rome, then held out for a 1-1 draw in Valencia to advance 3-2 on aggregate. They would then lose to Aston Villa 1-0 on aggregate in the semi-final round. Barcelona would win the Europa League by beating Aston Villa 3-0 in the final.

Coppa Italia

I was hoping to repeat as Italian Cup champs but it wasn't to be. I know the board says they don't care about the competition but I want to win everything we can win. We made it to the semi-final this year where we took on Udinese. After a 1-1 draw in Rome we went into Friuli hoping to pull out a win. But it was bad timing for us because when AC Milan beat Juventus two days earlier in the Serie A, my team knew they had won the Serie A title and I don't think their heads were into the Cup match. Udinese beat us 3-2 in the second leg. They'll be taking on AC Milan in the final.

Roster News

We certainly didn't have the injury or red card problems that plagued us last season and that's probably the biggest reason we were able to hold on to our lead in the Serie A. When you can put most of your top 11 out on the pitch every game you've got an excellent chance of winning.

With 3 new midfielders coming in next season I'm having to decide on someone to sell this offseason. De Rossi obviously won't be moving and Diaby was one of our top players all season. I think I'm going to try to move Julio Baptista out in the offseason. He's now 31 years old and while he's still a good player I just don't think I can afford to keep him and everyone else and keep them all happy. Plus Baptista missed half the season with a torn hamstring and his pace seems to have dropped (not sure if he's always been a 12 or not?).

Ibrahim Afellay has begun squawking about moving to a bigger club and while he's been good, he's not been the top talent I was expecting. Arsenal is chasing him so I think I'm going to let them catch him, for the right price of course.

The other big move I intend to make this offseason is to try to sell off one of my young goalkeepers. I currently have 5 keepers who are at least 2 star potential, with 4 of them being 3 star plus potential. I'm not sure who it's going to be yet. I do know I want to keep Curci since he's the "veteran" of the group at 27 years old. I don't intend to transfer list any of them but I'll set values and see if anyone comes after them.

BTW as you can see from the stats Totti didn't have much of an impact on the season. He did manage to stay healthy this year but he just wasn't good enough to warrant playing him. His contract is expiring and he still wants a player/coach deal and I'm not willing to offer that. Hopefully he'll retire and then I can just hire him as a coach.

GRRRRR! Just lost Guillermo Burdisso to Barcelona without even having a say in the matter. He had a minimum fee release clause of 7.5M which they met by offering me 10.5M so he's gone. Needless to say nobody at Olimpico is too happy with me. Now I have to find another DC. :|

On a positive note I decided to try to find a better "poacher" who had some speed and I ended up getting Yannis Tafer for 7.5M Euros despite 6 other teams trying to sign him. Now I've got to unload a striker as I have too many. Tafer should compliment Boriello very well and I expect him to score lots of goals.

He was asking for 24k Euros per and I got him to accept 18k.

Per week or per month?

GRRRRR! Just lost Guillermo Burdisso to Barcelona without even having a say in the matter. He had a minimum fee release clause of 7.5M which they met by offering me 10.5M so he's gone. Needless to say nobody at Olimpico is too happy with me. Now I have to find another DC. :|

On a positive note I decided to try to find a better "poacher" who had some speed and I ended up getting Yannis Tafer for 7.5M Euros despite 6 other teams trying to sign him. Now I've got to unload a striker as I have too many. Tafer should compliment Boriello very well and I expect him to score lots of goals.

Tafer. :cool:

Shame about Burdisso though.

Totti's salary is 18k per week, which makes him my highest paid coach. But he does have continental reputation and he does have very good coaching ratings. Regarding Burdisso if I had thought about it I could have offered him a contract extension when Barcelona came after him and maybe he would have stayed. But he'd been complaining for 2 seasons about moving to a bigger team so it's not the end of the world. The tough part is finding a capable replacement. His brother Nicholas is still on the team and is still very good. I just like to rotate my defenders so I need one more.

Ok so I started my new Roma game with the new patch. Started back in December 2009 to get the extra non EU spaces and the January window activity looked like this:

Out: Riise - Man City £10m

Juan - Man City £14m

In: Vrsaljko - Dinamo £2.3m

Badelj - Dinamo £2.9m

Matip - Schalke £9m

The two Croatians will be top players I'm sure and Matip looks great for 18, only downside was that for some reason nobody was able to tutor him so his determination remains just 10. In the summer we still had some cash to spend so before the new season we wrapped up deals for Mehdi Carcela for £1.7m, bargain for a decent backup player and Howedes from Schalke for £10.5m, I sold Adriano for £2.2m which is roughly what we had wasted on his wages during those 6 months, I forgot to edit him out of Roma so that balanced things up. N Burdisso also left for £8m for Real Madrid, Real and Man United both bid £25m for Menez which I gladly accepted after pushing them up but he failed to agree personal terma on 3 occasions which was annoying.

Into the season and we lost the SuperCup 1-0 to Inter with a good performance but the league started well with a win at Samp and then against Milan. Fiorentina beat us however before we went on a strong run in which we beat Inter at home and went to the top of the table, our target had been top 4 so it was all going well. We finished second in our CL group behind top seeds Sevilla despite 4 points against them and dominating the game we drew, we messed up at home to Twente on the 5th matchday with a 3-3 draw with some shocking defending. Obviously we drew Barcelona who were in the middle of a season where they would get 98 points in the Spanish league. We then had a terrible end to 2010 with 3 straight defeats in the league which saw us knocked off the top, into January however we were able to strengthen with a transfer listed Valbuena in for £1.8m followed by Bocchetti for £6.5m. We shipped out Taddei on loan to Marseille and Rosi to Atletico Madrid for £3.2m and still had some cash left so went for Junior Hoilett from Blackburn for £12m, bit of a gamble but his pace and dribbling is excellent. We still had our non EU spot for the season unused so I thought I might as well use it so snapped up Alan Dzagoev from CSKA for £3.3m, talented player who we can make a profit on if he doesn't work out.

Our signings set off a good run including an epic 2-1 win at Milan which took us back to the top and then came Barca. The first game was cagey and it looked like 0-0 but Borriello bundled home late on to give us a 1-0 advantage with a heroic performance, we paid for it however as we went 4 league matches without a win, though we were massively unlucky everytime, we created 13 clear chances over the course of those games and conceded 0 yet didn't win any, it looked like this would cost us in the end. In the middle of that was the Nou Camp return where we got the dream start with Borriello again on the spot to finish for an away goal, Barca had pressure but without Messi they looked manageable. Villa got them one on 66 minutes before we gifted them a second and it was all to play for again, they needed just one but Iniesta then put through his own net to hand it back to us and then Borriello popped up again to win us the game 3-2, so proud of the boys! We drew group stage rivals Sevilla in the last 8 which I saw as a great opportunity to progress, we finally got back to winning ways in Serie A after coming from behind to beat Udinese and snuck another 1-0 home win against Sevilla. We were then knackered for Inter away and lost 1-0 with a flukey deflected long shot. Next up was Sevilla again and another epic, we got the same start to the Barca game when Mexes headed home and we were in control, Fabiano made it 1-1 on halftime and suddenly we played like total strangers, giving them a second to Kanoute which left them needing one which Fabiano then got in the 87th minute, we were heartbroken. We didn't bank on Hoilett however who flew through the defence and slotted past Palop after Vucinics run down the left, we were through on away goals to face Chelsea.

In the league we finished with 6 straight wins with a good run in but needed Milan to slip up, they were away to Parma in the penultimate game and were 1-0 up in a 10v10 game when Crespo struck in injury time to hand us the advantage before the final game. We went behind to Palermo but came back strongly to win 3-1 and take the title against the odds, Chelsea however proved too strong, a 1-1 at home and a 2-1 away defeat sent us out, Chelsea then lost the Final to... Tottenham, who finished 8th in the league.

Overall a great season, we also lost in the Cup early with a reserves team which I felt was unimportant, man of the year for me was Borriello who banged in 25, Vucinic backed him up with 15 despite getting 1 in about the last 20 games. The fans however voted for De Rossi who was alright in a DM role, not sure fans can vote for loan players anyway. Totti was not needed most of the time in my 4-3-3 but we did change to accomodate him at time and he helped with some magic, annoyed however that he has a 4 year deal on £145,000 per week and I can't sell him, so I'm not going to play him now and hope he retires.

Thanks guys.

@ Purefun: I tried offering him a new deal and he, or the agent did the "We'll wait for you to reveal your offer" or however it's put so I offered maybe 50k a week and the agent then revealed his demands were more than his existing deal, about 180k or something. Anyway I told him what a great coach he'd make and he said he could start now so I said yes please so now he is retiring at the end of season 2. Hopefully can renew De Rossis deal at a lower price for some serious wage reduction.

Serie A

In a campaign that was very tight all the way through, we managed pull away at the end and clinch it with a nervy draw at Ascoli. The highlight match was unquestionably the away victory v. Juve red lined below. Down 2-1, we fought back to win 2-3. Juve had been 3 points behind and winning, winning, winning. This made it a 6 point cushion and seemed to crush them as they dropped well off the pace and into third place. What was even more amazing about this win was it followed the low point of the season in the CL (see below). We put a record 94 goals past Serie A keepers and hit a record 91 points.

201314final.th.png

201314matches.th.png

Italian Cup

Smooth rolling again until the Semis. This time we played a lousy home game v. Samp that finished 2-2. The nervy away leg didn't come till over one month later. After a very tense battle, we snatched a 60th minute goal from Burdisso off the corner that held up.

YES!!! A glorious cup win sparked by great performance from Pazzini. Inter never really seemed to show up for the match and we took complete control with 61% of the possession. At 2-0, Munoz dragged down a rampant Pazzini and was sent off. Barreto finished them with a 91st minute goal, but it ws hopeless for Inter after the red and we brought the Double home to the fans!

201314double.th.png

Champions League

We got through the qualifier v. PSG easily. After finishing top of our group, we dispatched CSKA Moskow to gain a quarter final birth v. Chelsea. The side didn't seem to recover well from a tough road loss to Inter and Chelsea crushed us 3-1 in the away leg. A late Guberti strike gave us belief, but the return leg at home was a 0-3 disaster and the low point of the campaign.

Squad News

By mid-season, we had our clear starting lineup set in our staple 442 with AML/R:

K Curci

DL Molinaro/Cale

DC Mexes

DC Toloi

DR Jallet/Gamez

MC Buzaglo

MC De Rossi

AML Sako

AMR Guberti

DLF Pazzini

AF Vucinic

Super-sub: Barreto at AF or AML/R

201314finalsquad.th.png

Three players finished with 20+ goals. 15 players made 10 or more appearances and had a 7.0+ rating.

Player of the year: Pazzini - Down the stretch he was just awesome. DLF or Af, he just kept scoring.

Runner up: De Rossi - One of my favorite FM players of all time. He does everything. His position and anticipation are the best things to watch.

Moving forward

If I remain at Roma, the key signing I will look to make is a better MC to play next to De Rossi. Buzaglo is solid, but not good enough and Brighi is past it. We already have Sebastian Bassong coming in to solidfy the backline with Burdisso almost assuredly leaving. This has always been a journeyman game for me from my start with Newcastle and then to Roma. So, if a big side comes calling, it may make sense to leave on the high note of the Double!

Update: End of season summary and I am not named Manager of the Year after winning the double? Instead it goes to Zaccheroni whose Udinese finish 11th and are listed as the season's underperformers. How can that make sense? What an outrage!

Good stuff Rio, I'll update on my second season soon though I haven't been playing much recently. It's got a little too easy given that you can spend big money quite quickly, I'm considering a new game in Spain with maybe Deportivo to try to restore them to recent glories. I would do Valencia but I suspect they get quite a lot of cash like Roma.

Good stuff Rio, I'll update on my second season soon though I haven't been playing much recently. It's got a little too easy given that you can spend big money quite quickly, I'm considering a new game in Spain with maybe Deportivo to try to restore them to recent glories. I would do Valencia but I suspect they get quite a lot of cash like Roma.

I did a long running Valencia save in FM10 last year and while they do have a lot of money keep in mind that they have no talent left now that Silva and Villa have left.

I did a long running Valencia save in FM10 last year and while they do have a lot of money keep in mind that they have no talent left now that Silva and Villa have left.

Yeah I did a Valencia save last year too of course with Villa and Silva but I'm edging towards Deportivo, they really have no top players anymore so it would be a good challenge. Also it would be out of sentiment as my biggest FM achievement was probably winning the league with Depor on FM10 after they had been relegated in season one before I took over.

Archived