Solution to Goalkeeper continually hoofing ball to opposition?

What's the solution to stopping your keeper kicking the ball straight to the opposition all the time? It seems to be an old problem but no matter what I try he seems to be hell bent on kicking long kicks all the time. My AM keeps telling me we are missing too many of our passes but I go and check the passing stats using the match analyser and it's always the goalkeeper with the poor stats.

Best option is to go into "Advanced" player instructions and tick the "Distribute To", then select a full-back, and/or "Distribution" and select "Defender collect".

Of course, depending on his attributes, he may just be inclined to hoof the ball. Not a lot can change that if it's the case, other than a change of keeper. Good throwing and decisions can help. If his kicking is high and he has poor decisions, this can contribute to what you're seeing so often.

Mentality and Tempo are also regular culprits, as is Passing style for Tactical Instructions. If the Goalkeeper is effectively being instructed to "look for an attacking pass quickly" then that's what he will do.

What doesn't help either is that often the opposition will have players near to your defenders if your goalkeeper receives the ball. When this does happen then your Goalkeeper needs very conservative instructions to hold onto the ball and look for a Fullback.

And then as Heathxxx says it helps alot to have a Goalkeeper that is calm and assured and intelligent.

What's the solution to stopping your keeper kicking the ball straight to the opposition all the time? It seems to be an old problem but no matter what I try he seems to be hell bent on kicking long kicks all the time. My AM keeps telling me we are missing too many of our passes but I go and check the passing stats using the match analyser and it's always the goalkeeper with the poor stats.

I assume you're not playing FM10? This used to be an issue on FM09 (fixed in the 9.3 final patch) but never experienced it on FM10.

You do know that you can select who the keeper passes to? Just select him to distribute to one of your back 4.

like heath said set to defender collect and nominate ur lb or rb dont use your cb,s as it will just put you under unecessary pressure at times.

I have used thi instruction on my current tactic and my gk has been in the top 5 pass completions for 3seasons running

Of course watch the settings u give to your fb as if he then procedes to lump it upfield then it kinda defeats the object .

Thanks guys for the advice. This is with FM10 and I'm manager of Luton in the BSP. I tried setting my GK to 'Defender Collect' and Distribute to my RB but he still wants to hoof it up field. His Decisions is pretty poor though (7) so he might be just stupid. Time to look for a new GK with a bit of brain matter.

Archived