GQ Online 03/04 Update Thread

Franco

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly’s Cats Begin Crusade

After an astonishing first season, with young Éderson picking up praise after praise, and award after award, Kelly’s Sunderland faced a tough challenge of competing in the Premiership. It all came about when on the last day of the season if Sunderland won they gained auto promotion – but it wasn’t to be. A heavy 2-0 loss to Reading ensured the Mackems had at least two more games to play that season. The draw came along, and Sunderland were placed against West Ham, with the first leg to be played at The Stadium of Light. Sunderland narrowly won 2-1 with Mart Poom scoring the winner from his own box! A crucial away goal was leaked however, and when the Hammers went 1-0 up in the return leg, Sunderland’s fans looked certain that they would be watching another division 1 season, but with a stunning turn around and 3 goals, Kelly’s men were going to Cardiff.

Sunday 5th June 2005

Sunderland 3-2 Sheff Utd

This was it, the stage was set and with two first half goals, Sunderland were 45 minutes from the

Premiership. In the second half, however, Sheff Utd pulled it back to 2-2 in the second half, but Tommy Smith’s fine solo effort sealed the game, and Sunderland were going to play with the big boys.

So, a new season starts and relegation seems quite likely for Sunderland, but when Kelly announced another one of his chosen unknown signings, in the form of Benjamin Onwuachi, Mackems fans approached the news with hope, rather than dismay. His first signing the season before had gone on to set the First Division on fire, and had already had bids worth over £3m rejected for him. With Andy O’Brien, Alou Diarra and Shaun Wright Phillips all joining the Black Cats, things were looking promising for what seemed to be a brave relegation battle that lay ahead.

The season started well for Sunderland, with 3 losses and 3 wins coming out of the first 6 games, leaving the team 6th in the league, the fans were ecstatic and hoping for brighter things than a dogfight at the bottom. Éderson was still on top form, creating more or less every goal scoring chance for the Mackems, and Juventus reject Onwuachi found his shooting boots straight away scoring on his debut and then went on to score in every game that Sunderland scored a goal in. He was the new prospect on the block, Éderson was still a firm fan favourite, but Benni Onwuachi was the new name to have on your shirt.

Sunderland haven’t failed to impress so far this season, including league wins over Newcastle (2-0) in the North East derby, and Man Utd (1-0) who are sat on top of the pile, and even when losing, they did it in style when Highbury beckoned they became the first team to score four goals at the stadium since just over a year before, when Dez Wilkins’ Forest pulled off a stunning 5-5 draw. Unfortunately for the Black Cats, Arsenal managed to score six on the day, ending the match at 6-4 to the Gunners. Just over a month after Shaun Kelly’s last win as a manager, can he end the drought away at Nottm Forest, playing against former fan favourite Julio Arca?

club_sheffunited.gif

Zigson emerges from rehab

Last season, the number 2 spot in Division One was occupied almost exclusively by Sheffield United. On the last day of the season, Preston completed their remarkable late push for promotion and displaced Sheffield into a playoff spot.

Unfortunately, that's not all that was displaced in May.

Zigson's tumultuous private life, the rumours of his drink problem, the breakdown of his marriage and the incident with Sheffield constabulary had left him a shaken, and forlorn figure.

His team's vain fightback in the playoff final may have become the stuff of legends, but it has sadly been overshadowed by the demise of the club's figurehead off the pitch.

This season, his frequent absence from his clubs' matches, and the incessant rumours of stronger stuff in his Lucozade bottles, have become a feature of Sheffield's performances.

A Vauxhall Corsa seen sloping away from a rehab clinic in Bradford has given hope to United fans that their talismanic leader may be about to return to the dugout, and this time without his famous pillow.

As Zigson remains apparently unaware of his club's league position, the names of his team members, or how he got into this mess in the first place, it remains to be seen whether this is good news for the club.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Signore Franco:

Hi all, just popping in to say the game is continuing to be a success, and this thread is joy to read.

KUTGW! icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doing it for the Blades baby icon_cool.gif

missed chances leaves WBA just outside the european spots

The last couple of matches has been thrilling, nerve wrecking and very upsetting to watch. After results like a 4-4 draw 5-4 win 5-3 defeat etc, the WBA matches has been anything but boring, still the manager fells that the team isnt getting the reults they need or deserve. He is still confident though that the new and very attacking style of play is the way forward for the club.

The board is thrilled with the performance, so am I, but i am not pleased with the results, to draw or loose games that you totally dominate, is very frustrating, loosing out to a better team is always acceptable, but loosing against teams you are outplaying for most of the match isnt. Many matches has seen the oppnent score out of nowwhere while my teams miss to many open chances.

The attackers cant be blamed to much, cause we have scored plenty, but the goalkeeping and defending has been poor from time to time.

The managers personal ambition of a european spot can still be fullfilled, although we cant afford to keep loosing/drawing the matches we dominant if we want to go to europe next season.

The transfer of ameobi and guayre was secured, and we are currently awaiting a WP for star defender Burdisso, who should be able to stabilize the defence. Also Bothtroyd were confirmed on a free to join in the summer. So the future looks bright.

wimbledon.JPG

Wimbledon in playoff race

With over two thirds of the season gone Wimbledon occupy 7th spot, only 2 points behind the 5th placed team, although the Dons have played a game more. Special mention for their continuing solid form must go to Patrick Ageymang, who despite the absence of top scorer and most influential player Jo, has been banging in the goals for the Dons.

Despite the realitively lofty position they currently hold, Stone has been dissapointed with his team recently, who only a month ago were 3 points off second place. Whilst their recent run of 7 draws in 10 games was not bad, it follows the story of the dons season so far, dissapointing inconsistancy.

To counter this however Stone has made a signing that no-one else can quite believe, the signing of a 28 year old world star who has just come back from an 8 month injury too spearhead the clubs push for promotion.

The immensly talented Greek international Karagounis signed on the dotted line last week, and has immiediately forced his way into the right midfield spot, leaving McAnuff out of the side and available for transfer. Unlike two years ago when the squad was on its bear bones for the end of season run-in, the current squad is very healthilty sized, with at least one quality back up in every position.

Another transfer which shocked the footballing community and indeed Stone himself was the capture of a future scottish star, a 20 year old right winger who looks to have the footballing world at his feet. Although Stone had made an offer to this player as his Motherwell contract was running up he had not realised the 300k compensation fee would be necessery, but he had been informed that a local bussinessman had funded the deal and that they were ready to back him for building a premiership quality squad.

With Holloway and Pitt returning from injuries (Pitt has played his first game of the season and its march) the dons have every chance to make the playoffs, and if they don't, then they can only blame themselves.

[This message was edited by RedRob on 09 April 2004 at 15:33.]

Donnachie II ushered into power

Anthony Donnachie II was appointed new manager of Leicester City on thursday,and was assigned the task of finishing decently in the league.He may just have secured that,with a string of impressive results,which leaves them unbeaten and safely away from relegation.Here is a statement released recently by the manager:

"Liecester have fallen from grace,and now are a division 1 team,with premiership players,in my opinion.This club are very healthy financially,and have a good youth setup and excellent stadia,they deserve to be in the premiership.As for me being the man to take them there,I dont know.Much will depend on my spending in the summer,but the squad is capable of the task thats been handed to me,I have no doubt."

more updates soon

Forest%20logo%20final.GIF

January transfers round up

Winter Cash injection has given Forest hope

We hope at least. After a dismal start to the season, where goals were hard to come by. The good news was that the board recognised the same problems as the manager and injected some extra funds available for some new faces. Although rumoured to be facing financial difficulties with an excessive wage bill. Wilkins has signed three new players.

Incame - Gerard - The versatile Spaniard from Barcelona. He has settled in quicky to the central midfield role that was in need of cover due to the long term injury of Christian Nerlinger and the absence for several weeks of Kasey Wehrmann, away on International duty with Australia. He has settled in well and has started to mix things up in midfield. Not afraid to get stuck in to win the ball, he is also proving to be a good attacking outlet with his precision passing being the spark of many good moves.

Jan Kristianssen Another versatile Attack minded midfielder, who became Forest's biggest transfer signing in Wilkns 2.5 years incharge. A total transfer fee in excess of £4m was paid to Liverpool for the Dane. He has brought an exciting attacking edge to the Forest attack line. Likes to drift wide, but also having the licence to roam across the midfield he is proving a handfull for defences.

Pablo Nino - The out of favour Betis striker had been on the transfer list gor a while and had moved to Sunderland on loan. Wilkins was looking at bringing him to the City Ground for the new season. However it transpired that despite being currently warming the bench for Sunderland he was available for immediate transfer. In a rushed deal on deadline day, Nino moved for £1m to Nottingham where he has since started superbly well. Bagging 4 goals in his opening 3 games for the club. Seems to have struck up a great understanding with Milan Baros up front and has proved to be the goal threat we were missing.

Put these new signings with an inform Julio Arca and a resurgent Milan Baros, who has finally found his scoring boots, and we now have a Forest side that is competing. Questions remain though over the fait of some of the players in the squad though. The club cannot go on supporting such a large squad indefinitely so we are expecting to see quite a few faces leaving in the summer. Its up to the players to play for their jobs from now untill the end of term, otherwise they could easily be shown the door.

Cool Cats Fall From Dizzy Heights…

…But Can They Land On Their Feet?

Sunderland manager has returned from his family crisis in Australia today to find his assistant manager Ged McNamee had played 6 games with the Mackems, but had only managed to clock up one win, and four points. Having only managed to pick up a point against Portsmouth, McNamee’s boys managed to quash rumours of a crisis when they hosted Ossi Saarinen’s Preston and walked away with all three points due to a late winner from Benjamin Onwuachi, Mackems’ top scorer of the season.

Things seemed to be looking up for a McNamee inspired Sunderland, but this was soon to end, a trip to St. Mary’s Stadium saw the Mackems walk away empty handed, after being out-classed both on, and off the field. Next was the first of two encounters with Top of the League Manchester United, this time though, points were not at stake – it was the FA Cup 6th round, at The Stadium Of Light. The match was very one sided, and McNamee’s Cats didn’t even manage to register a shot on goal in the 1-0 loss. One week later, both teams would meet again, in the Premiership. In what was a five goal thriller, Manchester United went 4-0 up, injuring returning youngster Danny Pugh in the process, Onwuachi however managed to get a consolation goal on the 86th minute in true Sunderland fashion when he smashed home a volley from a failed Howard clearance. Things had gone from bad to worse for Ged McNamee, and they weren’t getting any better when he played host to North East rivals Newcastle United, the toon went 3-0 up in the first half and played out a dull second half which saw no shots on goal from either side.

Shaun Kelly’s young stars at Sunderland had looked a very promising team since starting their season in the Premiership, but just recently after dropping so many points in the last few matches, things aren’t looking as positive for the Mancunian boss’ European bid. Dropping down to 7th in the league five points off the last Champions League spot, they need to win more or less all of their remaining games if they are to go on and snatch that last place off of Blackburn.

Just before Shaun Kelly left for Australia, he had dabbled into the transfer market. He managed to convince young Arsenal striker James Graham that the North East was the best place to ply his trade next season, and also pried Portuguese starlet Vieirinha away from Porto – both deals on pre-contract agreements. He also managed to pick up young left back Tom Kennedy from Bury for £45k and Brazilian U-21 full back Bruno Leite from Vasco de Gama. Whislt also releasing central midfielder Marc Hand to Joe Finnigan’s Luton Town, on a free transfer, Kelly claimed to the press that Hand was a bright young footballer, who was no longer in his plans at Sunderland.

_916711_hless300.jpg

Zigson reaches new low

Press Release, Sheffield United

It is with regret that we are forced to announce that Ziggy Zigson has been relieved of his position as Manager of Sheffield United Football Club.

Whilst we appreciate his efforts to bring success to the club, we feel that his tenure with our organisation is no longer compatible with his interest in methalated spirits.

Zigson has been a valued member of our organisation for around 2 years and will long be remembered as the manager who took us to the playoff final last year. In addition, his contribution to the members' bar at Bramall Lane has been instrumental in refinancing the club.

We wish Zigson all the best in the future, with particular respect to his new venture in association with Big Issue publications. The restraining order remains in effect.

[This message was edited by zigson on 14 April 2004 at 18:18.]

WBA; battle for europe continiue

Early in the season the manager stated that a place in europe was the target this season, although the board was happy just to avoid relegation. The team has since proven that it wasnt empty words, there has been ups and downs, but we are at 3rd spot in the league, so everything is still possible. With some luck even the CL could be in reach, but a place in the UEFA cup will do, the competion is fierce though, so anything from 3rd to 10th is possible.

Our sad run in the cups continued after a humiliating defeat 5-3 at villa park, it was a nightmare to watch the defence was all over the place and John Carew destroyed us. It is surely the defence we need working upon, we have scored more goals than any team in the league, but we have conceded **** loads aswell, so the manager is working on new tactics that might improve defence without loosing the scoring touch.

In the latest training session the team experimented with a 2-4-4, the managers idea is to attack he opponent on their own half and keep them away from our goal, gain the ball and counter straight away. The closer to the opp goal we gain the ball the better. If this tactic can work is yet to be seen, but Jan the man is confident about the idea.

The manager will return!

Preston North End's manager Ossi Saarinen has been out office for some time now. We got hold of him in Finland where he waas enjoying his free time. "This has been great. I'm enjoying my life and I feel really rested now. I think I could come back today."

The public has been wondering about the lack of intrest towards the PNE and Saarinen has this to say. "I trust my assistant manager. He has done good work previously and I think this will motivate him even better. He can be the boss for some time and gather good experience for the future. Of course I care about PNE but life is more than football and results."

wimbledon.JPG

Dons suffer playoff agony once again

Once again the dons have suffered the agony of a play-off heartbreak, and for the second time in three seasons the Dons are in a state of despair.

A more exclusive interview will be held with Stone later on in the week, but for now it's probably best if the whole squad is left too cool off for a couple of days

WBA goes to europe next season

Yes we did it, we are playing european football next season. 3rd place were secured after an intense ending to the season, it all looked over when 2 straigth looses ment the rivals closed in. Then came 3 straigth wins and the other results went our way aswell, so before the last match 3rd spot was ours.

This means a huge change to play in CL, of course there is the risk to be drawn against a hard team in the qualifier, but at least the conselation prize is the UEFA cup.

The fans will be delighted it as been a long time since the last european adventure for the club.

Finishing ahead of all the main local rivals must thrill the fans aswell, we are now the leading club in the Birmingham area.

So all in all it has been an incredible season.

The future looks even brighter, with quality signings comming in this sommer.

Ellington;

a young and powerfull striker from cardiff the pairing of him ameobi should be nothing but lethal.

Coupet:

Experienced french goalkeeper, who will step in as my first choice, cause my current goalies has simply been awfull this season.

Buxton:

A very strong defender, who will also be in the starting line up, hopfully he can bolster the defence that has looked more than dodgy at times.

Ormerod:

A very fast forward who will add even more attacking depth to my squad.

I already have more attackers than i need to be honest, so i will try to offload 2-3 this summer, and hopefullly i can secure the signing of another classy defender for that money.

Although i should have plenty cash available, with the stadium expansion completed and tv + season tickets coming in.

Donnachie II:Things can only get better

Recently appointed leicester manager Anthony Donnachie II secured the teams first division status,then defiantly stated his 'disgust' at his team performing poorly under past management,citing change in personnel is needed.

"The team has very distinguished players,players of great skill and ability,but these players are also the ones who have performed so badly,that the team are dwindling in division 1.Many of the players are good enough,and will stay,but the dead wood WILL be removed,and only youth and superb ability(for this current time) will be brought in.Players like Adam Bartlett,who is england no.1 at U-21 level,and sean cassidy are an example of the players I want.Determined youngsters who will fight for the cause.My team has performed well recently,and I hope they carry that on through preseason and we will see how the season goes.I hope for money in the summer,which the board will give,provided the aspiration is promotion.If I had this current squad with the bosmans coming in,id say a fair aspiration is outside the playoofs,possibly challenging for them. I dont expect immediate success,but I may have to provide to keep my job"

more updates soon

wimbledon.JPG

End of season update

As the last day of the season arrived Wimbledon were away to Bolton, in 7th position in the league, one point behind wolves who were away to league leaders Ipswich.

Things were looking good for the Dons when they took a second minute lead courtesy of a sublime free-kick from Karagounis. Ipswich had also taken the lead against wolves and were dominating the match – at this rate they were in the playoffs.

Unfortunately for the dons however their whole season looked a wasted effort as Bolton got a deserved equaliser, and Bristol City, who had started the day in 8th position had taken a 1-0 lead at home to Bradford. Then, just as Stone had given up, in the 82 minute Bradford had equalised, if results stayed like this they would snatch the 6th place.

As the 90th minute arrived, Wimbledon were still drawing 1-1, Wolves had lost 1-0 to champions Ipswich and Bristol were leading 2-1 after getting a 88th minute goal – then in the 94th minute Bradford claimed a scrappy equaliser, unbelievably the dons were in the pay-offs for the second time in three years.

Birmingham were the team the Dons had to face, and with ten minutes of the away leg remaining things weren’t to bad - the Dons losing 2-1 but they had the all important away goal. However two goals in the last three minutes left the Dons reeling, and needing a 3-0 win at home to secure their place in the final. This however was not to be and a 1-0 home win wasn’t nearly enough and the Dons were consigned to another season of division one pain.

Fans shouldn’t be down-beat, the Dons had reached their target, and although it had not panned out as planned they had achieved something. With the free transfer captures of Jody Morris, Gavin Rae who had spent the whole season on loan from Rangers, the exciting striker Steve Kabba form Sheffield Utd, David Healy from Preston, the incredibly gifted Chilean striker Soto, and with more transfers planned the fans should be hopeful of automatic promotion this time around.

Target for next season : Champions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>From KUBI:

Ipswich Town won the first division title this season.

Nothing more to say.

But those people are demanding and dont let me go in my Swiss alpes holiday until I posted a few kind words about other managers who let me win so many games this season.

First I have to thank my apple computer who did a great job in connecting my head to my team.

Second I have to thank Diablo for not in the game anymore. He may Rest In Peace and not coming back anymore in any version of this game. (SI please, test it, test it)

Third I want to thank manager Rob who wasnt successfull in contracting Junior the season before and still blaming me that I had bought his entire squad and destroyed his hope for a successfull season in the next future (I am talking about the next 245 years at least)

Just to make it clear, the best player I ever bought from Wimbledon is defender Leigertwood who was playing most time as a substitute in my most successfull season.

I started as that what the German call a Geheimfavorit and I was quiet sure that my team has the potential to reach the playoffs. After a weakness (I blame my assistant, not Joe), we climbed slowly until we reached the peak in the very last game. As fair sportsmans we played a marvellous last game against the Wolves, because Wimbledon Manager Rob were in need of some help. And I was quiet sure that his humiliation will be doubled if we win and he not. But as you can read in his report (if there is any) he reached the playoffs anyway and that was Wimbledons peak.)

I think I did a good job in building up a team that has a good structure in age and is full of talents. Together with the famous KUBI NO LOONEY TACTIC, which you can buy on every local tactic store together with some pieces of salted diablo, I managed to bring the light back to Ipswich.

As a sidnote I like to add, that we also reached the League Cup Final, we were just 90 minutes away from Europe, thats more than most of the English people can say in their entiry life.

Next season, we all know, will be very hard. My team is good, but I think it will be a full season relegation battle. But thats nothing new, as it was the same as I started as manager of Ipswich Town.

Last but not least I want to thank my wife, who did a great job in filling up my glass during some of then endless sessions.

And dont forget: I am from Switzerland, we are neutral, we dont care who beats the Germans.

KUBI (still banned for no reason from the SI board. Sort it out, doubli!)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As much as I doubt the little comment at the end will serve any purpose at all, I couldn't resist leaving it in. icon_biggrin.gif

Reds are Redhot as season draws to a close

All the early season panic and worry about lack of goals and most importantly, points, now appears a distant memory. Following the closure of the winter transfer window, the Forest side looked invigorated. Most importantly they seemed to get a new lease of life. Goals started to come and a real conviction was instilled in the side as we started to produce some real chances for ourselves. Milan Barosfound his scoring boots and with new strike partner, Pablo Nino a real attacking partnership was found. Impressive victories against West Brom (4-2), Newcastle (2-0) and Chelsea (3-0) were just part of the end of season run in that saw Forest climb 8 places in 10 games. Infact the win over Chelsea on the final day of the season was enough to propell the Reds into 8th position and into the Intertoto cup for the next season.

FA Cup Dreams are shattered

Victories over Newcastle along the way to the Quarter finals meant the route to Cardiff for us was far from an easy one. However we showed some real courage to get as far as the Quarter finals, unfortunately for this year, this was where the Cup run was to end. Drawn against fellow Premiership side, Southampton and feeling more and more like this could be our lucky year. As it was a 0-0 draw at the City Ground meant a replay for us again. 0-0 after 90 minutes pushed the game into Extra time. Unfortunately this is where our luck ran out. A close fought battle was about to become a decidedly one sided affair. Two recards were handed out and we were down to 9 men. The space it left and the tired legs of those remaining on the field allowed Soton to capitalise, they scored two goals in quick succession, leaving us out of the cup for another year.

The future

Honestly, if the team can start the season in the same form we finished last season in, then there is no reason why we can't challenge at the other end of the table for honours. Also success in the Intertoto cup could yeild a place in the UEFA cup. For this once giant of English football, it is nothing more than what we need.

The squad doesn't need strengthening too much. We must ensure that any players that do come in are of the calibre that will help the team push on to the next level and challenge week in, week out the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. We aren't far off now, but we need to maintain that.

All eyes will be on Gaffa Wilkins to see who he brings in or what other miracles he can make his side pull off.

WBA on the verge of champions league

The manager is very exited after the draw for the 3rd qualifying round were made, the only thing that stands between WBA and the CL is the mighty spora of luxembourg! A dream draw to be honest, and i cant see how we can fail to qualify.

Pre season has been quiet transfer wise, apart from the free bosmans and the signing of ellington no players have been purchased, and i only managed to sell Roberts and Chakmah they were good players but not in the starting 11 so i decided to cash in and save some wages as i have plaenty of attacking options with boythrod, ameobi, elliot, ormerod, ellington + others. This leaves the manager with plenty of money for 1 big signing, and several players are on the shortlist. More news on that later.

My convincing season last year has upped the board expectations to a "respectable league position" that will be no problem and the managers goal will be to qualify for europe this season aswell. The squad is stronger than last year so i am full of confidence.

Summer '06 - The start of something big???

The close season was a short one for those connected with Nottingham Forest, the training ground was a busy place again even before the dust had settled on the month of June. Preparations were being made for the upcoming Intertoto cup competition. After the last day of the season victory at home to Chelsea, Forest had leapfroged spurs and landed the top seed spot for this Summer UEFA cup qualifying competition. As such were handed a bye into the third round, where as Spurs were drawn in the second round of the competition.

A tough draw awaited the Reds. Drawn against French Outfit, Lens. It would be a tough test of the preparations made for the coming season, but a test our boys rose to the challenge. Playing the away leg first, goals from Australian duo, Wehrman and Invincibile, both back from magnificent world cup campaign which saw the Soccerroo's finishing 3rd in the competition, and a third from Milan Baros made the 2nd leg more of a formality. The Home leg was a dull 1-1 afair, but we were through 4-1 on aggregate

Another tough tie awaited us in the Semi Finals, drawn against German side, Shalke 04, and again being the travelling side for the 1st leg. Goals from Gerard and Nino Couldn't prevent us from loosing 3-2. Armed with two away goals things were still looking good for us as confidence was high that we could overturn the deficit in the Home leg. Overturn it we did though, a performance of sheer individual brilliance from Czech ace, Baros b agging a hatrick in the first half. His goals came on 40.41 & 43 minutes. Other than those three goals it was a very even affair, indeed we were lucky not to conceed, but as it was we were safely through to the final with a 5-3 aggregate win

Fate has decided that there will be only one English club winning one of the three miniature trophies on offer and being given progression into the UEFA cup due to Nottingham Forest being drawn against Spurs in 1 0f the 3 final round games. Both sides should be evenly matched, knowing each other well after couple of closely matched games. Who will win is a tough call, but with the first leg at White Hart lane only 3 days away, we will soon know what Forest' chances are of playing European football further into the season will be.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Forest summer transfer activity

Only a couple of additions to the playing staff for the new season, Wilkins Obviously feeling he already had the making of a top side in his squad. There were a couple of new arrivals though, and indeed a few departures too.

Transfers in:

Simon Francis - A signing that was known about for a while, the Right sided defender finally made the switch to the City Ground this summer for an initial fee of £500K from first division outfit, Crewe. A further £500k to be paid depending on performances.

Isaac Osbourne - The one time Coventry and more recently Millwall youngster, who spent last season on loan at Wimbledon, found himself surplus to requirements at the New Dell and Wilkins made no hesitation in bringing the talented youngster to Nottingham Forest for a fee beilieved to be just short of £1 million. He will no doubt be used sparingly in his first season, providing quality cover for Kasey Wehrman in the anchoring midfield role. His arrival could well spell the end of the line for former German international Christian Nerlinger.

No doubt the biggest signing of the summer, and the final one thus far. It was a deal kept mostly under raps and with hardly any competition, which was suprising. Many clubs must be left kicking themselves as news filtered through of the capture of Forest's biggest signing to date....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

"A world class player, that will surely bring a touch of class to Nottingham..." - Mark Lawrenson, Football Focus.

"Signing of the season and bargain of the season all rolled into one..." - Four Four Two Magazine.

"Cantona to United, Okocha to Bolton, henry to Arsenal - This transfer will have the same, if not bigger, impact on the fortunes of Nottingham Forest" - Big Ron Atkinson, On The Ball<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The big news was the unveilling of Andres D'alessandro as the new signing. The £5.5m acquisition astounded many, but confirmed the commitment the managerial team have in restoring Forest as a force to be feared throughout England and into Europe. The product of River Plate's amazing youth set up was signed from German side, Wolfsberg. The midfield Playmaker is believed to be the missing piece in the jigsaw. And many feel that Forest can now go on and take to the next level and hopefully be challenging for some honours come May.

Transfers out:

Goal keepers' Arason (released, free transfer) and Mhyre (£500k - Southampton) left along with Carlos Marinelli (£675K - Ipswich) and Michael Bridges (£900k - Blackburn). Also leaving was youth product, Craig Westcarr. The talented youngster was cut loose for £600k to Charlton as it was felt he stood a better chance of first team football else where.

Also on their way out are believed to be Marlon Harewood and David Johnson Although where they will go is unclear. Both players recently turned down loan moves to Wimbledon. As did Supat Rungratsamee, although Rugrat is believed to be a part of the first team plans this season following the departure of Bridges and Westcarr.

Well within wage budget and with a comfortable bank balance, a playing squad to be proud of - Now might be time to take advantage of the generous bookmakers prices. Being placed at 40-1 for the title this season, but if a good start to the campaign is made don't be suprised to see those odds shorten drastically.

Crewe returns to bad form

The end of the season was a dissapointment to Crewe manager Bulletsponge. while the fans and board were happy with mediocrity, bullet wasnt. Bullet was unable to find a quality striker or midfielder despite having over 3 million in the transfer kitty. with quite a few players leaving at the end of the season and no one coming in, it seems that next season might be the same crap all over.

Crewe: a new season to dissapoint

Crewe is expanding the stadium by a few thousand seats and Bulletsponge has 4.3 million in transfer funds! Bullet starts to dance in excitment and wonders whom he should buy. his excitment fads quickly as soon as he sees all his transfers are rejected. his hopes for a striker of the future are dashed when (secret) large transfer fee is rejected by his club icon_mad.gif. he then looked at adding a midfielder, but Motherwell refused his large transfer for Stephen Pearson. Loans were rejected for epl reserves, further demoralizing bulletsponge. it looks like it will be another long pitiful season for Crewe unless Bullets can wrangle a midfielder or preferably a striker.

Crewe jumped out to a fast start again, but bullet lacks confidence in his boys to keep up the pace, " the loosers did the same thing the last 2 years, and ended up choking when the time came to stand up. No body with and street cred wants to move to crewe, therefor im left scouring from smaller leagues. i tried to buy Nerlinger from Forest, but Dez got greedy with the backup benchwarmer so i droped negotiations. besideds, i doubt he would have luaghed at me for thinking he wanted to play here anyways."

" Rob continues to try and pawn off McAnuff on Crewe, and i did take a bite. all other managers say i could have him for 2.1 million on an unprotected contract, but as always its 3.1 for Crewe. not that it matters, Jobi wants nothing to do with Crewe. The more things change the more they stay the same"

FORMER GILLINGHAM BOSS RETURNS FROM THE LOONEY BIN

Former Cardiff City and Gillingham boss Mike Carnie finally returned today to the management fold.

Carnie after hearing about some unfortunate personal issue ridiculously accepted a job offer from Grimsby before being dragged off to Sheffield Assylum with a Personality disorder.

The Grimsby Board stuck by their manager, and the club managed to survive the rest of the season without him. Carnie unfortunately missed the whole of preseason and the first 2 games of the season, which were not played too well in Carnie's absense. The Board had not allowed his assistant to make any transfers or laons, due to lack of funds, but as soon as Carnie came back, he immediately sought out some loan signings. Bringing in a player from Nottingham Forrest he had brought in during his first season at Cardiff, Carnie found Kubilis to be an ideal all round player to cover any holes in his squad. Having him for the season on no wages was an added extra.

Sunderland's Vieirinha also on no wages for the season also brought depth to Carnie's new squad. The additional signing of Dorryl Proffitt for the season on 60% wages will hopefully give Carnie's Grimsby the diversity it needs.

having focused on the attacking aspect of his team, being happy with most of his defense and his Keeper, carnie sought out a new defender. Hearing that Manchester United had released Phillip Bardsley, Carnie immediately snapped him up, after his scouts had recommended him as an exciting prospect.

Carnie's first game did not go exactly as planned, but he still came out with a point. Playing Torquay at home, Carnie fielded his strongest side. Grimsby went down to an early Knaggs goal. The Half time whistle saw Grimsby's lowest ever attendance, perhaps a reflection on the sides poor form. Two thirds into the match, carnie made a large change around, bringing on young C Beardsley, Boulding and defender Davey and changing from a 4-5-1 to an attacking 4-4-2. The change did not take long to take an effect. Beardsley equalised from a fantastic Bolder pass. Carnie could at least go away with something to think about, not to least his tactic.

having conceeded 6 goals in the 2 League games prior and being knocked out of the League cup by QPR, carnie was keen to get his team up to scratch. And the next game woudl be crucial, playing arch rivals Hull City at home, Carnie woudl trully face a baptism under fire.

Keeping to the 4-4-2 formation he finished the prior game with, Carnie now had winger Harpal Singh back from injury, but chose to not play any of his loan signings in the first 11, but played them both on the bench. Striker Mike Boulding took an injury half way through the first half, with Portuguese player Vieirinha coming on and making an immediate impact. In the 39th minute, he scored from a dazzling through ball from Singh, which left the Sunderland reserve winger come striker in a prime position to score, which he took well. Grimsby battled their way through much of the second half, with impressive defenses from Greg Young and Tony Crane. Alexis Kubilis also came on, in place of Lewis Cook, normally a winger, but forced to play in the centre. Kubilis then went on to set up a goal for Liam Nimma, brilliantly took, also earning Nimma man of the match in an impressive game for Carnie, with double the attendance of the previous match.

Grimsby then took themselves to Blackpool with renewed confidence. Goals from Cook, Boulding and Nimmo saw them run out 3-0 with Greg Young again driving the defense from his Left back position. The 23 year-old appears to be quickly establishing himself in the team, in his 4th decent season for the team. Rumours of Southend's interest in him appear to be true, but carnie appears to be adamant that despite the club having no funds and being in the red, he will not sell any of his players.

With 2 wins and a draw, Grimsby found themselves now steadily rising up the table.

Playing former Premiership side Coventry City at home also proved to be a tough contest. bardsley was quickly given his debut, having signed for the club 2 days prior. French U21 international Yoann Folly was also given the nod in midfield, s Carnie sought to find every players strengths and weaknesses. Coventry scored first, with a battled goal, grimsby coming close shortly before from a corner. But the guys in blck battled on, with Vieirinha hitting the back of the net again from the bench, giving the side the point they needed. Laying in 13th place, Grimsby now look to Gillingham to come to Blundell Park, where Carnie will face the club he left during the mishap from the previous season, and will face Peter Thorne, a former player of his at both the Gills and cardiff.

Will Carnie buckle under the pressure?

Or Will carnie again guide his side up the table?

Dont ask me, Im not Mystic Meg!!!

Simply Superb

'simply superb' those were the words Anthony Donnachie II used to describe his team's performance at the moment.

His Liecester team have stormed to the top of division 1,3 points clear,and looking in very healthy form.The manager couldnt quite beleive it,but pinned the form on the teams excellent teamwork and determination to shoot down early taunts of relegation.

Tommy Wright is the shining star at the moment,but other players have impressed superbly,including Michael Stewart,Jordan Stewart and Riccy Scimica. He urged the players fans,players and media to not get ahead of themselves,as its so early.Here is an interview with the manager:

Reporter:You must be happy with your form at the moment

Donnachie:Im very happy.My team have been very proffesional and very consistent.They set out to avoid relegation this year,to spite the odds,and I know they are capable of doing it

Rep:What is the reason for the rich vein of form?

Don: I got rid of a lot of dead wood in the summer,and bought a lot of young,enthusiastic players into the club. Their hunger to acheive has been pivotal,but the players work rate and attitude has been phenominal so far.

Rep:Which player/s do you think have impressed most?

Don:I feel all players have played their part,but if you want names,I'd say Tommy Wright,The midfield and Scimica have been exceptional

Rep:Where do you think you'll finish in Div 1 this year?

Don:I still think mid-table is a reasonable aim,although the players have showed their capable,so we shall see

Rep:thank you

Don:Your welcome

more updates soon

Preston – Second season in the top flight

Last year’s goal was to avoid the relegation and that was achieved. 15th place was good for season one and this season the goal is the same, to keep out of the relegation battle. Of course we want make it to he European competitions but there is no hurry. Preston is a small club with great history and someday we’ll take our place on the top.

Last season was very hard but it also taught us a lot. Last season transfers were allright but not excellent. Francis Jeffers was a big disappointment. “The fox in the box†has lost the plot and is now transfer listed. Couple of goals but he didn’t grap the role he was offered. Salio Lassisi was good but he spent too much time in the injury list. Let’s hope he can stay healthy this season. Kevin Bobson was good and not so good. His form was erratic and that’s something that ahs to change. We need Bobson playing in top level every night.

In the post season we manage to snap couple of quality players. Erik Addo, Bosman transfer, is the most significant of the signings. E can play at the DC position but DMC might be the place for him. Jason Roberts was snapped from WBA and provides depth to our forward positions. Damien Johnson was also a Bosman signing and let’s hope he can bring some stability to the troublesome DR place. Buari came from Fulham and will provide some resting time for Omar Daley.

The season started all right. 1-1 draw in the first game against Blackburn and things looked promising. This was just an illusion. Next games were awful and we keep losing. We’re outmatched all the time and we need to think of something quickly. It’s going to be along season but we all like challenges.

Grimsby On Huge push

Grimsby TOwn in the past few weeks have had a fantastic run. Manager Mike Carnie has seen only 1 defeat while he has been in charge, adding to the two that were lost before Carnie returned to the club.

This recent run of results has seen Grimsby rise to no less than 4th position, at one stage even being placed 2nd, only 2 points off the top.

Carnie has brought in a further loan signing, but has not really played them too much, relying on his youth players.

Carnie prior to the replayed game against Coventry promoted U19 players Jamie Mullen and Callum Flanagan to give the side an edge. Carnie's selections seemed to have worked, with Mullen and Flanagan playing impressively, and Flanagan scoring four goals since his promotion to the first team squad. Signing Bardsley has also impressed in defense, but has a fitness issue which will need to be resolved in the weeks to come.

Grimsby even managed to topple Carnie's former side Gillingham 2-0, and the side even came from 2-0 behind to beat Watford 3-2 in a tense and thrilling game.

Carnie spoke to the Droitwich Spa Advertiser while visiting family

"I have urgedthe players to give the team it all this season. For the past 3 years the club has finished 16th or 17th and I woudl like to take the club higher up. With the club in debt I know the task will be hard, but the club has a good selection of players, including at least three former Manchester United Schoolboys. I woudl very much like to be challenging for the playoffs at the end of the season, and shoudl we achieve promotion, I am hopeful that it will easer the clbs debt and even perhaps allow me to purchase players next season and extend contracts for one or two players. I woudl also like to at least make the FA Cup third round, but one can only hope."

Team Report by Jan Messiah

After a first session things are not looking bright for Crystal Palace as the team is 18th in the first division after 5 games I played with them (2 wins, 3 loses). The team still has to get on their feat, and reinforcements are already begun to coming. We still have to se how will the signing of Abel Xavier from free transfer and Tom Rzasa from Partizan Belgrade affect the team’s performers, for now they haven't shone any real progress. I have to say that alldo that we are next to bottom of the league, promotion playoff is still in my head as I attend to make some major adjustments to try and boost them up. Every thing is still opened for Crystal Palace!

Fans,players and media predict Leicester to go all the way

There is a huge enthusiasm around The Walkers Stadium at the moment,as they sit proudly three points clear and are on the form of their lives at the moment.James Scowcroft,Sean Cassidy,Ian Walker,The two Stewarts(Jordan and Michael)John Thorrington have all excelled at this level,and you can see where they want to be next year.Donnachie II was first to say when he took over that this criop needed reshuffling,but were no doubt a team full of ability.The squad has a lot of great youngsters on the wings and a few of them playing,but the blend is there with some experienced players,like Izzet and Scimeca.The manager however,is first to play down his team's chances,and simply wants to take games step-by-step.

"I'm very pleased to be in the top spot of division one,and who wouldnt? I dont like getting ahead of myself and there is a lot of growing expectation of my young-ish squad.I plead no more of this,as it will only drag us down.The team has played to their potential,and been at the top virtually from day one,so you cant fault their consistency.If they maintain this level of consistency,then I see no reason why they shouldnt be there or thereabouts come the end of the season."

Taking the focus of the promotion taunts,he took time to lavish praise on his signing,Jamie Donnelly,who arrives early march:

"Young Jamie is a real talent.My team were on top form at the time we played chesterfield,and he danced and skipped and tricked his way past my players.He had the audacity and confidence to do that,that earned him my respect.I had to snap him up,before someone else did inevitably.Anyway,he will be given time to settle,but I have no doubt he will be a star"

more updates soon

WBA manager returns from holiday

After a nice vacation in the UK the WBA manager is now back with a fresh mind and recharged batteries, that hopefully can keep the season on a succesfull track.

The assistent has done very well in my absence, only 1 defeat in the league and just a point behind the all important 4th place, and almost a garanteed place in the next round of the CL. So everything is looking good.

There has been some complaining though from certain players over the lack of first team football, so the AM hasnt been rotating the players to much, but with the results in mind, that was maybe the wrigth thing to do. The forthcoming league cup matches + CL, will be a good time to rest the first team regulars and give the squadplayers some match training.

The finances are better than ever, money is rolling in every week, and hopefully the board well let me spend some of that money next year to bring in 1 or 2 world stars but so far the board has been holding on very thight to the money..

Crewes Season takes another unexpected turn

After slumping down to 12th place, Crewe Boss looses patients with his strugling team. he sells Goalie Hoult and buys one of Wimbledons embattled goalies. Bulletsponge has always been frustrated with the Crewes striker squad, and hunts all over the world for a partner to Ashton. After many bids were rejected, and contracts rejected, he finnaly settles on Cardiss reserve Hogg.

The Result: 3 straight wins, 2 on the road. Crewe beat Lincoln in the League cup to advance to the quarter finals at Man U. he the beat 2 clubs in league matches, including embattled new manager Messiah of Crystal Palace. Messiah couldnt believe his crappy luck when his bums lost to my bums 2-1 icon_razz.gif.

Now Crewe sit in the Playoff picture with a record of 8-9-3. if it wernt for all the g*d d*mm*d ties, would be battling for an automatic promotion. will Crewes improved perfomance due to the arrival of Hogg continue? he only has 1 assist and 0 goals in 3 games, but has vastly improved the attack and given Crewe a much needed shot in the arm. another side note, DMC Kyle Wilson scored a hat trick in the League cup match (about freakin time, 20 finishing should score a few even at MC)

Breaking News: Wolves appoint a legend

Wolverhampton Wanderers have appointed Ali Omar as their new manager. With Wolves in the hunt for a 1st Divison play-off place, given the timing of the season this seems to be an interesting move by the chairman. It is believed that Omar with his pedigree in Football Management will be given the chance to build a team that could have a better chance of surviving in the Premiership.

Time will be against him as the impatience of the Wolves board is well known. Funds will also be limited and the reported high wage bill will be needed to be slashed.

Exciting times lay ahead of Wolves, can the new boss live up to the pressure of such a demanding job.

Fan's becoming disillusioned with the stop start progress

Seemingly unable to find their rhythm and certainly falling somewhere short of the spectacular form of the back end of the last campaign, many forest fans are becoming untrustworth to boss Wilkins' methods and system.

The club's 3rd season in the top flight has seen them shed the underdog title of the previous two campaigns and people are starting to expect big things from this star studded team.

Indeed it is with little doubt that the board had thrown their full weight of support behind the manager in the summer, stumping up funds for transfer targets to help Wilkins strengthen with the distinct possibility of European Football on the cards. Thanks to a nailbiting Intertoto cup final against Spurs, the Uefa cup dream was realised. So at this stage of the season the Big money signings of Andres D'alessandro and the last minute deal that saw England international defender, John Terry switch to the City Ground in a £5.75m compensation deal. The side on paper looked superb, but with nearly half a season played the side have lost 6 games in the league, been dumped out of the League cup in the third round by Chelsea (3-2 away) and seen the Uefa cup dream abruptly ended in the 2nd round against Serb outfit Partizan. Indeed it is this european exit that has seen a catalyst of unfortunate events befall the Forest Chief.

The first leg saw a comfortable 2-0 victory and after taking an early away goal in the return leg in Belgrade all looked rosey. Indeed fans heard Wilkins remark "Thats it, They are as good as out now". How far from the truth that was. A complete collapse on the field from Nottingham's 11 representitives allowed Partizan back in the game and they were quick to seize there chance. The home side hit 4 goals to see us out. In what can only be described as [bForest's worse performance in the three and a bit years Wilkins has been in charge[/b].

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

I'd be a fool to turn it down if I was offered the opportunity to manage such an illustrius club, we shall see what happens<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those were the immortal, and much publisised words that were ushered by Wilkins only a few days after the Partizan debacle, after being questioned about his future at Forest and potential of being the next Anfield boss. Liverpool as of yet have not sacked their manager, but many feel it is only a matter of time. The speculation was increased when Liverpool chairman suggested that Wilkins was one of the men ideally suited for the Anfield job, should they ever be looking for a new manager.

This has caused outrage amoungst the City Ground Faithfull. Many fans have been calling for Wilkins' head. Whilst still in a job this pressure from fans has led to his own job becoming insecure. Indeed coupled with rumours of discontent from a number of players at the clubs "poor" league possition. If results continue to go against Wilkins, he could soon find himself without a job.

Luckily for him, the vultures that were circling this week have been fought off, at least for the time being, due to an impressive 4-0 victory away to Southampton. A few more results like that and all could be forgotten.

Forest continue to improve as a team sitting in 11th place at the moment, but for some fans at least its not improving quickly enough. Couple this with some off the field incidents and things are less than rosey for wilkins and Forest.

As always Forest Focus will keep you informed and upto date with all the goings on at the City Ground

wimbledon.JPG

Chairman in shock move

Dons chairman Charles Koppel has disgracefully sacked Dons boss Rob Stone despite being only a few points off the playoffs and after an easy 2-0 against Walsall.

Stone had been a great servant for the Dons, almost doing the unthinkable in the first season, and then saving the club from the drop when it looked so likely.

Many people have been shocked by this move, especially due to the severe financial restrictions that have been put in place and haver hindered Stone chances of building the team he wanted. He has, however, left an incredibly gifted team, but one that will be surely picked off.

Stone has however declared his desire to gain a quick return to the game, and although it looks likely he will have to drop a division to do this Watford, Cardiff and Burnley have all described him as the 'perfect' candidate for the job.

Donnachie II urges to players to 'win it now'

Anthony Donnachie II was a man of many emotions recently.He watched his team demolish his closest challengers,Leeds,and urged them to seize the moment and finally 'break away'

Liecester keep gaining considerable leads at the top,as much as 8 points once,but losses straight after always let their opponents stay in touch.He says a run of wins now could finally cement their security at the top,and let the meneger blood a few youngsters,such as Riordan and Dobson.

He also pinned the recent loss of quite a few goals on the injury of young Cassidy,who has been outstanding this year for Liecester.

Only time will tell if Liecester can finish this term with the championship,but everyone seems to be enjoying their time at the top,they think they are invincible.The manager knows the dangers of letting your closest rivals back in,and wouldnt want a major anti-climax,after so much hard work this season...

Liverpool appoints Jan the Man as their new manager

It was a huge schock to the fans and the board of WBA, but i really felt it was time to move on, after i had taken this team as far as possible in the league, last season 4th place didnt look likely to be improved, and the club didnt have the reputation to bring in the world class players that could give the team the final touch. So when liverpool came in with an offer, i couldnt refuse.

The Anfield side had seen themselves fall from the top in this season, and they are close to the bottom of the league, the former manager has done a terrible job, and i have to put the pieces back toghether.

In fact he has left only 1 quality central defender in the team, after Henchoz, Traore and carragher are gone, without any replacements brought in.

The midfield is very strong, but i need to build some confidence into scott parker who was demoted to the reserves by the former manager, but when he regains that i should have a strong midfield with him and gerrad with leading roles and back up midfielders are biscan, murphy or welsh.

The attack is good. Heskey is the target player, i then have kewell as the left attacker and diouff as FR. And i have decent back ups in Owen, Pires, Le tallec. But i might be looking to off load Pires (aged and high paid) and Michael Owen, who is high paid, frequently injured, not the target kind of striker i prefer plus i could need the money to improve the defence. Other players are looking to get the axe as well, i can only see 10-15 of the current squad to have a future at the club.

The goalie situation isnt the best either, with only Kirkland as a class keeper, but it should be possible to loan a back up keeper. So the liverpool manager will be very active on the bosman market to secure some cheap summer improvements. The january transfer hunt will be concentrated on the defence, which is the only area of the team which isnt PL quality.

The goal is to rebuild the squad and avoid relegation and then become a title challenger next season, but with some luck we might sneak into the uefa/toto positions, and that would be a victory concerning the current state of the squad.

Grimsby Boss shows what he is made of

Grimsby Town manager Mike Carnie only previously hinted of a target of lower-mid playoffs, but the former Cardiff City and Gillingham boss showed just what he could do with very few resources and a reletively youthful team.

After an impressive 7 games won in a row, and a victory over table toppers Brentford in early December, Grimsby Town now find themselves not only top of the table, but clear of their nearest challengers by no less than 8 points.

Carnie was quoted by a couple of avid journalists

"Yes I am indeed shocked by my teams performances on the pitch. During my absense, my Assistant Manager did not exactly bring the best out of the squad, leaving young Jamie Mullen in the under 19's. After seeing him in just one game, I knew that he had to be in the first team, and from there it was apparant that i woudl have to focus my team around him. He is an extremely talented youngster who has a bright future. I can only hope that he will commit his future to the club. I have also been impressed with the likes of young Callum Flanagan, who can score goals just fopr fun when he is on his game. And Edwards in the centre of defense makes a fine resound captain. He is what this club needs and is an inspiration to the rest of the team."

When asked if Carnie believed if his team would go on to win the Second Division title, Carnie was only quoted to say "If we believe we can, we will." The atmosphere at the club has never been higher, and with the coming of the new year, will it usher in a new era for the club?

Only time will tell icon_smile.gif

Congratulations your clan has been awarded FMO "established clan" status.

This position will be reviewed in 3 months time. You have had a FMO stamp placed on your opening clan post to highlight this, and when the forum outlook gets done over the next month your thread link and website will be highlighted in the forum header.

New liverpool manager makes massive squad clearout

In short the manager wants to get rid of old/overpayed/moaning/underperforming players, and some of my players even fell into all those categories. So far far this has seen the departure of Owen, Pires, Pongolle, finnan, Solskjær + others whos names are not remembeed by the new manager. Next in line stands Hyypia, Murphy, vignal and Diouf. Hyypia is getting to slow at 33, but i might hang on to him until summer. Murphy is not performing well and he is aging aswell. Doiuf is moaning about the league position and are not performing well, with an value of 30m i might want to get some cash out of him, but if his performances improve i might want to hold onto him. Vignal is simply not good enough for a team like liverpool.

To stabilize the defence the manager has purchased portugese star andrade, young talents like senderos and glichy, + experienced international vatscuthuk and lavridis as a back up player, Anthony Gardner is only a signatur away from joining that list.

2 goal keepers have been brought in aswell ellegård on loan + german goalie jenszch.

Hopefully this should leave us with a good line up at the back.

GK:Kirkland/Jenzh

LWB:Riise/Glichy

RWB:Senderos/Welsh

DC:Andrade/Hyypia

DC:Gardner/vatscuthuk

So next target is to get the Midfield and attack in the same shape, so far the players at the club get a chance to prove their worth, cause there is plenty of good midfielders and attackers at the club (on paper anyway), but they need to show it on the pitch or they will be out of here in the summer. I have already purchased sonck and guayre, so the preferred

midfield line up is;

DMLC: Parker/Murphy

AMC:Mendhi/Guayre

DMRC:gerrard/Welsh

Attack:

FLC:Kewell/Le tallec

STR:Sonck/Heskey

FRicon_biggrin.gifiouf/Guayre

On top of that the following bosmans will add more depth to the squad in the summer; Bellamy (FRLC), Harper(GK),Kenton(DRC) and Bowyer (MRC) and with 16 mill still to spend the future looks bright.

All in all a team that should do well next season and qualify for the CL.

The season so far has been ok, we were demolished by chelsea but the rest of the matches showed good performances and we are within reach of the UEFA/Toto places although the League Cup might be the easiest way to europe, after a 2-0 win over WBA in the first semifinale leg. Relegation is not a possibility anymore, this team is simply to good to go down.

So although the board expectation is to rebuild the squad for next season, i cant settle with that, the squad rebuild is almost complete, but i want to go to europe next season aswell.

Crewes streaky season

After a 5 game winning streak, Crewe stank up the next 3 games, loosing them all. Bulletsponge then started buying some young talent to put a fire under his teams arse. He bought Eddie Johnson from Man U for 170K. DML R Rooney, a youngster with potential for about 400k. Swedish U21 Goalie Olofsson on a free. Bulletsponge then switched offenses to his ol favorite the 4-4-2. Bulletsponge originally left this formation due to the defensive heavy and weak wingers he had on the squad, but this time he got good results.

Crewe won 2, drew 2 and lost 1 match. the match they lost against Burnley they could have easily tied or won if not for a few unlucky plays. Bulletsponge then looked at adding a young prospect in 16 yo stiker Ross Smith from Everton for a large 725K. The Crewe are sitting midtable, and with thier current good form and new signings giving them some needed new blood, a playoff race isnt out of reach

Liverpool; 1 match away from europe

We have now qualified for the League Cup final, this is the only chance for a trophy this season and it is the best shot at european football, so really this is the match of the season. Unfortunately the opponent is chealsea which is 1 of the big teams that i usually struggle against.

The league form is ok, but the gap to the top teams is very big, so the best we can hope for is 7th place. We perform very well in some matches but very poor in others. Hopefully once the new players setlle performances will be more stable.

The manager continiued his squad clear out, and just before the January deadline we sold Murphy to Aston Villa for 3,9 M£ + Vignal for 1,3 M£ and meghni for 1m£ + Gerard, and malbranque was purchased from Bayern Munich.

This now leaves the squad with an impressive range of midfielders to select from; Gerrard, Gerard, Parker, Kewell, Malbranque, Welsh, and Biscan, surely must be good enough to compete with the best teams in the PL.

The manager failed to offload Diouf who keeps performing poorly, but in lack of more suitable palyers for that position he will continiue to get plenty of first team football until the summer. And he needs to show a big improvement if he is to stay at anfield.

Tottenham defender Gardner also agreed terms so defence is sorted aswell.

We just need that 1 or 2 class strikers that can give us more attacking options next season.

There is still some 17m to spend so we should be able to get 1 good attcking player for that money.

Stone takes the Cardiff reigns

Only a day after announcing his retirement from management manager Rob Stone was sensationally announced as the manager of division 2 relegation candidates Cardiff City.

After suffering from an absolutely awful season so far Cardiff found themselves only 1 places off relegation down to diviosn 3, which for a team of their immense potential would be unthinkable.

Stone however, was confident this team were much better than this. With some of the players currently on the books such as David Bell, a precociously gifted attacking midfield player, Richard Langley, Alan Lee, Robert Earnshaw, Jason Brown - the goalkeeper Stone had been tracking for years at Wimbledon, and Danny Gabbiadon the team was easily good enough to be challenging for the division 2 title, but somehow they found themsleves in this awful position with 31 games gone.

As soon as Stone arrived he could see the week areas of the squad, their defense was lacking decent fullbacks,, only Lee Croft and Tony Vidmar were available, who were both reaching the end of their careers. Stone quickly rectified this by raiding former charges Wimbledon for Juan, a very promising brazilian left back, and Alan Dunne, a very capable right back. Due to the Dons perilous financial position both of these players were obtained for fees totalling just over 100k.

Another wimbledon player who made his way to Cardiff was Steve Offers for a free transfer. A talented defender Steve Offers will certainly be a challenger for a first team spot, and has recently pushed Gabbiadon to his less preferred position of right back. Also signed from the Dons was Courtney Pitt, who has been an ever presnt for Stone in all his 4 years of management.

Whilst further buys from Wimbledon are possible, with one bid for an unnamed Dons player being rejectd but another still being considered.

Although Cardiff are in a poor position, the team they now posses with Stone's recent additions certainly has the potential to go on a brilliant run and challenge for the playoffs which are 13 points away.

Stone's first two games at the helm have been promising a 1-1 home draw (although none of Stones recent signings were available for that match) and a brilliant 2-1 away win at third placed Stockport (Pitt was unavailable) showing that Cardiff wont give up the race, however unlikely.

Whilst it seems unlikely, Cardiff still have 900k in the transfer kitty to strengthen the squad if the right players become available, but are considerably over their wage budget due to a few ageing players on very high wages.

Aim: Strong finish - anything else would be a bonus

barnsley.gif

Fraser named as Tykes Boss

Christopher Fraser has been unveiled as new Barnsley Manager at a press conference held on News Years Day. He has been charged with leading the Yorkshire side into the playoffs. Barnsley currently lay 11th. A gap of 7 points off 6th place. Fraser has moved to strengthen the attack, signing Carl Cort, Paul Edwards and Jay Lucas.

These signings have helped Fraser achieve some impressive results, including and 3-1 victory over league leaders Leicester, and a crucial 2-1 win against fellow playoff hopefuls Crewe. Under Fraser the Tykes have managed 5 wins in 9 games, with only one league defeat. They are now within 3 point of a playoff place. On current form they should be there or there abours

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Signings

Carl Cort 210k Dundee

Paul Edwards 35k Brentford

Jay Lucas 120k Lincoln

</pre>

Wallsall (h) 2-1

Lumsdon

Betsy

Wigan (h) 5-0 FA Cup 3rd Round

Cort

Betsy 3