Moves into channels vs. Cut inside

What attributes make both effective for wide attackers?

Which is more effective when trying to create goal scoring opportunities via getting the wide attacker(s) into the box?

In my opinion I feel that dribbling, agility and acceleration (and I guess pace....which is always important imo) are what are key for a good 'cuts inside' player because these stats should help your player get from the wide to the top of the box.....with the ball. Think about Arjen Robben this season in the champions league.

Now a good 'moves into channels' player needs anticipation, off the ball, and decisions. He needs to be able to drift into dangerous space and be able to know when he needs to do it. Most well known example of this would probably be Leo Messi but Florent Malouda has done this very well this season for Chelsea.

Now ofc with the right player, both can be very effective when getting opportunities for that wide attacker. I just can't really figure out which be more effective.

When I have a player on 'moves into channels', when he recieves the ball they don't always head to goal.

When I have a player on 'cuts inside', when he receives the ball he always has far to go before he gets to goal and when he does, there are already 2 or more players closing the space and not every player can hit one like robben has this season.

So whats your take on 'cuts inside' vs. 'moves into channels'?

My opinion:

1) Moves into channels mean player is either: 1a) taking ball and dribbling through defenders 1b) moving between defenders to pick up through balls

It requires - off the ball, acceleration, dribbling, technique, anticipation, pace

footedness is less important

Move into channels makes player run towards opponent goal

2) Cuts inside is probably more playmaker style of playing. Taking the ball to inside foot (footedness is more important), dribbling inside and looking for cross/pass option or long shot

Important are - creativity, dribbling, passing, crossing, technique, long shot

Pace and physical attributes are less important, but agility wouldn't hurt

Cutting inside move can be quite flat, he can move pretty horizontally on pitch, if you know what I mean. Searching for passing option, not moving much towards goal, if there are line of defenders in front of him

If you have a player on cuts inside they sometimes make curved runs on the back four. So they AML runs across the full back to the centre back. Your CM plays a through ball and the AML is through on goal. I have had this happen a few times.

Ofcourse the AML may also make the same run with the ball but in front of the back four.

With moves into channels the run is more diagonal rather than horizontal

Anticipation and off the ball are the main ones for me. You may know of a rather good Argentinean winger in the game- no, not Messi, a young right winger who has recently signed for a Spanish club from his original Argentinean side. He's quick, agile, and has good dribbling skills, but ask him to cut inside and he'll get stuck up blind alleyways, because he doesn't have the mental skill.

"Moves into channels"- gets players on the inside to move out.

"Cuts inside"- gets players on the outside to move in.

I m struggling to understand what "normal" implies. If "cuts inside" means more horizontal runs, while "moves into channels" more diagonal runs between the FB and CB, what then "normal" means? What is the difference between "hugs the line" and "normal"? I tried both and could not see any differences in behavior of my wingers.

I m struggling to understand what "normal" implies. If "cuts inside" means more horizontal runs, while "moves into channels" more diagonal runs between the FB and CB, what then "normal" means? What is the difference between "hugs the line" and "normal"? I tried both and could not see any differences in behavior of my wingers.

This. I wonder the same thing.

@jascko & PyramidHead

I think "Normal" means the player will follow the traditional part of the role with no special tendency. i.e. a right footed player set to cross from the byline and run with ball often will make the run on the line for a cross, making it looks like there's no difference between Normal and Hugs Line.

"Moves into channels"- gets players on the inside to move out.

"Cuts inside"- gets players on the outside to move in.

Does cuts inside get players to move in without the ball?

Now what will moves into channels do for players on the outside?

What attributes make both effective for wide attackers?

Which is more effective when trying to create goal scoring opportunities via getting the wide attacker(s) into the box?

In my opinion I feel that dribbling, agility and acceleration (and I guess pace....which is always important imo) are what are key for a good 'cuts inside' player because these stats should help your player get from the wide to the top of the box.....with the ball. Think about Arjen Robben this season in the champions league.

Now a good 'moves into channels' player needs anticipation, off the ball, and decisions. He needs to be able to drift into dangerous space and be able to know when he needs to do it. Most well known example of this would probably be Leo Messi but Florent Malouda has done this very well this season for Chelsea.

Now ofc with the right player, both can be very effective when getting opportunities for that wide attacker. I just can't really figure out which be more effective.

When I have a player on 'moves into channels', when he recieves the ball they don't always head to goal.

When I have a player on 'cuts inside', when he receives the ball he always has far to go before he gets to goal and when he does, there are already 2 or more players closing the space and not every player can hit one like robben has this season.

So whats your take on 'cuts inside' vs. 'moves into channels'?

I would say intelligence and/or a good shooting foot is necessary for widemen to Cut Inside effectively. Opposition numbers increase and space decreases pretty dramatically as players dribble infield.

You are right in saying that different physical attributes also apply, and I personally highlight Strength as being very important through the middle. You don't necessarilly need your player to be a behemoth of 16 strength, but anything less than double figures is an obvious hindrence even if your player is spectactular through the middle.

It's really a case of requiring average to decent mental ability and general physical ability. Your Inside Forward doesn't need 16 Anticipation, 16 Creativity, 16 Off The Ball, 16 Strength but he wont get away with 9 Anticipation, 9 Creativity, 12 Off The Ball, 9 Strength like a winger can as he rattles past a fullback at a hundred miles an hour and sets up an easy cut-back.

I'm talking PL level here, so scale down accordingly for other levels.

EDIT: One of the most significant aspects of "Cuts Inside" in my opinion is the players First Touch. When a player is set to "Cuts Inside" then his first touch irrespective of foot tends to take the ball infield. This very simple, subtle effect on a players First Touch pretty much sets up the whole premise of the attacking move.

Moves into channels - off the ball movement looking to get between fullback and centre half. So for me could be a striker drifting wide or a midfielder drifting in, but without the ball in both cases.

Cuts inside - dribbling in from the flank, so a with ball instruction. Stating the obvious, to cut inside you need to be in a wide position to begin with. I'd expect players to stay wide off the ball with that instruction.

Hug touchline - both an on the ball and off the ball instruction

That's always been my interpretation based mainly on the players that have the PPMs

Archived