Super Eagles of Nigeria - Featuring Kanuuuu and a miracle working God!!

Icondacarver

Nigeriaqs4.png

Sanni-Azeez_302_super-eagles.jpg

Lars Lagerback hastily appointed to replace Shuaibu Amodu after the debacles that were the World Cup Qualifying and the Nations Cup picked an ever so familiar 30 Man Squad.

The 22 local based players who were called to train were dropped save for Suswan Terna a highly rated fullback and the Bayelsa United goalie Akpan Bassey.

Also in are the Utaka brothers and Lukman Haruna (after screams for his inclusion from the populace) and Brown Ideye (which shocked everyone)

Notable absentees include Christian Obodo, Seyi Olofinjana and most suprisingly Michael Eneramo.

Lagerback has been criticised for going for brawn and stength in his midfield selection while ignoring the creative dribblers that populate the local league.

Nigeria squad

Goalkeepers

Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel)

Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda, Israel)

Austin Ejide (Hapoel Petach Tikvah, Israel)

Defenders

Taye Taiwo (Marseille, France)

Elderson Echiejile (Rennes, France)

Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow, Russia)

Joseph Yobo (Everton, England)

Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands)

Rabiu Afolabi (SV Salzburg, Austria)

Danny Shittu (Bolton Wanderers, England)

Midfielders

Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi (TSG Hoffenheim, Germany)

Kalu Uche (Almeria, Spain)

Dickson Etuhu (Fulham, England)

John Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England)

Sani Kaita (Alaniya, Russia)

Haruna Lukman (AS Monaco, France)

Yusuf Ayila (Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine)

Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia)

Strikers

Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Everton, England)

Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth, England)

Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg, Germany)

John Utaka(Portsmouth, England)

Victor Obinna Nsofor (Malaga, Spain)

1) The World cup build up has been hit by hotel issues as they changed base at the last minute.

2) Fitness concerns on Danny Shittu and the MIA Taye Taiwo who finally reappeared.

3) Changes/cancellations to pre-season friendlies

To compensate for the lack of altitude training so far the eagles flew out to Austria to play Saudi Arabia after which they will train for a few days before playing Colombia in London and then fly out to South Africa.

Schedule:

May 25 - Saudi Arabia - Alpen Stadium, Wattens 0 - 0

May 30 - Colombia - Stadium:MK, Milton Keynes 1 - 1 (Lukman, Valdes)

June 6th(moved from the 4th) North Korea - TBC

Some of these matches may also be available on BEN. To play it safe check all 3 channels as it is never as planned with the NFF.

Lets hope the Super Eagles perform, with all the focus on Ivory Coast as the African challenge maybe this team can Shimmy through.......

In breaking news Danny Shittu is getting One on One training from Amokachi to prepare him for Tevez.

Guest roberto922

If he plays on the wing I think Big Vic could surprise a few people, he looked good for us on the run in

Not really sure what to expect from Nigeria for this tournament, I see Anichebe did switch then

Yea was actually in the Olympic squad in 2008.

The squad needs a powerful big man(Yak does not count) to be a battering ram for the team in dying minutes of the game.

Victor Moses and Onouha are the ones the team missed out on for this tourney. Agbonlahor as well which seemed a shame when it happened but not so much now.

If he plays on the wing I think Big Vic could surprise a few people, he looked good for us on the run in

Looks to be brought on for the period when they start lobbing balls into the box.

I expect them to go this far l<-->l :(

They tend to raise their game at World Cups.

Made the 2nd round twice(Unlucky against Italy, in-fighting cost them against Denmark)

In 2002 they held Argentina till Taribo went off for stitches and lost 1-0, then lost 2-1 to Sweden after blowing a bazillion chances before drawing with England.

They can raise their game and just need a decent tactician for the squad. With all the hype being on Ivory Coast and Ghana i actually expect something from Nigeria and Cameroun while Drogba and co plus Essien and co flounder.

Is Moses gonna go with Nigeria too then? If so, I withdraw my hope that he does well at Wigan :mad:

He had thrown his hat into the ring but Lagerback decided to overlook him for this world cup.

He is better off playing for Nigeria than probably racking up 4 or 5 caps for England if he gets that far.

Fashanu, Ehiogu, Ameobi, Carlton Cole, Agbonlahor all have/will end up with sub 20 caps for England while they could have easily racked up 50 or more caps plus continental honours with Nigeria.

Depends how he develops though, starts shining and the shortage of attacking players we have he could get in some squads, look at Zamora, on the fringes now.

Depends on his connection with Nigeria too, is it just family or has he actually been there, was he born in England? Different if you have a 'real' connection rather than fancy playing a tournament, is he gonna join Nigeria in Liberia and far flung corners of the globe for qualifiers cause if he wants to play for his country then he should do it all or nothing imo.

Like when Jamaica qualified in 1998 then all these fringe English league players started going with their family roots, always thought that was a little unfair on the Jamaicans that actually got them to the tournament.

Depends how he develops though, starts shining and the shortage of attacking players we have he could get in some squads, look at Zamora, on the fringes now.

Depends on his connection with Nigeria too, is it just family or has he actually been there, was he born in England? Different if you have a 'real' connection rather than fancy playing a tournament, is he gonna join Nigeria in Liberia and far flung corners of the globe for qualifiers cause if he wants to play for his country then he should do it all or nothing imo.

Like when Jamaica qualified in 1998 then all these fringe English league players started going with their family roots, always thought that was a little unfair on the Jamaicans that actually got them to the tournament.

Like you said about Zamora (on the fringes). Carlton Cole (On the fringes).

If all these players stopped waiting for England and played for the other countries they have bloodlines with then they COULD improve those countries.

If Messi had parents who were both English but he lived his whole life from birth in Argentina. We would not complain if he decided to play for England.

Kanoute had a great time with Mali, Anichebe has got an Olympic Silver, Odemwingie with Nigeria is now a major player in Africa.

I remember the Jamaica situation but that is what tends to happen in these cases as a World Cup is a major draw.

The list of players who ended up with a ridiculously low number of caps for dubious reasons who could have played for other countries e.g Andy Cole. Tbf in his case i am sure he thought he would go on to be an England regular but the issue still stands and these guys need to look at options.

The World is too global and multicultural for that old excuse of they have no connection with the country.

I was born and bred in England near Salford, grew up in London and never lived in Jamaica but i can speak like any jamaican if i want to, from what i picked from family. I can speak Pidgin English and i understand the wordings of two Nigerian languages (other half of my family).

If i was a proffesional footballer and i was not good enough for England i would see no problem playing for either the Reggae boyz or the Super eagles.

Guest roberto922

I wouldn't, I could only ever see myself playing for Wales, possibly Scotland. But I could never play for England or Australia, because despite having links to them (I was born in England, Mum was born in Australia) I feel no link to them.

Though obviously my situation is different because England and Aussies are stronger teams than Wales so regardless I'd have more chance of getting a cap there. But if I was Spanish mainly I'd still hold out for them, I see no reason to play for a nation that you don't consider your own

World cup friendly no longer at Upton Park. With typical NFF planning i would refrain from buying tickets ahead of the day and wait till further information comes out and just buy your ticket on the day.

Will most likely be Loftus Road/The Valley as they tend to be the usual suspects for Eagles games in England.

I wouldn't, I could only ever see myself playing for Wales, possibly Scotland. But I could never play for England or Australia, because despite having links to them (I was born in England, Mum was born in Australia) I feel no link to them.

Difference is i feel a link to Nigeria (and Africa as a whole) as well as Jamaica. There is a greater sense of oneness on the African continent as you see Nigerians switching to play for Togo and Sierra Leone etc.

Guest roberto922

Yeah you do, but not all players do, so just saying that the likes of Andy Cole, Bobby Zamora and Carlton Cole should have played for the African nations because they weren't gonna get many caps for England is wrong, things like that aren't clear cut.

Yeah you do, but not all players do, so just saying that the likes of Andy Cole, Bobby Zamora and Carlton Cole should have played for the African nations because they weren't gonna get many caps for England is wrong, things like that aren't clear cut.

His was very clear cut actually. He wanted to play for Nigeria but the rules on changing nations had gone. It was years ago and he was at a Charity event (I remember Kanu, Okoronkwo and Babayaro were there too).

He was not as high profile as he is now, think it was 2006. He stated to a group of us that he was waiting on England because Nigerian football was in disarray and he would have a better international career with England.

As for players choosing another country in order to have a more fulfiling international career i agree with that. The rules regarding switching Nationality have helped increase this greater sense of parity in Football because certain countries cannot develop players themselves.

So if another country develops that player and that player is not good enough for them, then no reason that he cant then play for the other country he has heritage with.

Would rather see a player go and play for Mali/Senegal and be their number 1 striker and lead them to success in Nations cups etc than see that player be number 8 in the striker pecking order for France.

Difference is i feel a link to Nigeria (and Africa as a whole) as well as Jamaica. There is a greater sense of oneness on the African continent as you see Nigerians switching to play for Togo and Sierra Leone etc.

Am I too cynical thinking country-switching is mainly done to get exposure (and get that bigger transfer/contract) and for a chance to play in a World Cup (and subsequently also get more exposure) ?

Am I too cynical thinking country-switching is mainly done to get exposure (and get that bigger transfer/contract) and for a chance to play in a World Cup (and subsequently also get more exposure) ?

It boils down to that in the end so not cynical at all just spot on. Especially when you see some players fighting tooth and nail to play for one country (Salomon Kalou springs to mind) and then pledges love for another when it falls through.

Ok game against Colombia has been moved to Luton.

I wonder how the NFF officials get dressed in the morning with such bad preparation. So to recap, the game will be held at Kenilworth road.

In other news Mikel looks to be out of the World Cup with the knee injury adding to the insult of excluding Gabriel Reuben and Solomon Okpako from the 30.

The two tricky playmakers are exactly what the Super Eagles need, but Lagerback has imitated Cameroon, Ghana and the Ivory coast by going for the physical prowess.

Still confident about our World Cup performance eh? ;)

I am so confident i am insisting you bring all your savings so we can place them on the eagles to get to the Semi-Final. :D

Mikel not being there is a Godsend because he has only performed in 2 or 3 of his last 10+ games in the green.

Did you send a text to Lagerback, Anichebe is on the left wing and is running riot on the fullback. Has created the Eagles only 2 chances so far.

Edit - Just responded too slow to a through ball that put him one on one. Defender recovered to tackle for a corner.

Latest news is Mikel is going to make the squad as he is apparently fit. This sounds like a repeat of the Obafemi Martins and Aghahowa situations where an injured player was taken because they insisted.

The rumours of expired work permits with Ideye turned out to be true and now he cannot get a Visa to England for the Colombia game. Time is running out for him to grab a shirt as he needs to return to France to get a pass to the U.K

Do we know the starting 11 for that game and how close to full fitness Mikel and Yobo are?

The Starting XI

Enyeama – Taiwo, Odiah, Afolabi, Adeleye – Etuhu, Ayila, Kaita, Nsofor – Yakubu, Odemwingie

Lukman Haruna has earned his place with his sub performance.

My prediction if the coach had the minerals:

Goalkeepers: Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel), Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda, Israel), Austin Ejide (Hapoel Petah Tikva, Israel)

Defenders: Taye Taiwo (Marseille, France), Elderson Echiejile (Rennes, France), Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow, Russia), Onyekachi Apam (OG Nice, France), Joseph Yobo (Everton, England), Daniel Shittu (Bolton Wanderers, England), Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands), Rabiu Afolabi (SV Salzburg, Austria)

Midfielders: Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi (TSG Hoffenheim, Germany), John Utaka (Portsmouth, England), Kalu Uche (Almeria, Spain), Dickson Etuhu (Fulham, England), John Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England), Sani Kaita (Alaniya, Russia), Haruna Lukman (AS Monaco, France), Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia)

Strikers: Victor Anichebe (Everton, England), Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg, Germany), Ikechukwu Uche (Real Zaragoza, Spain), Victor Obinna Nsofor (Malaga, Spain)

Kanu slows our game down and i think he should be dropped and Yakubu is no way our main frontline striker. Ayila messed up today and will probably not go although its a shake up between himself and Etuhu. John Utaka might sneak in while his brother will miss out too.

Disappointed for Anichebe. I never rated him but I'd heard of his improvements in the side.

Im not sure which Uche has never impressed me but Im thinking it might be Ikechukwu.

Ikechukwu plays as an out and out striker for the Eagles and Kalu plays as a midfielder/winger. I rate both but Ikechukwu has the work rate that Yakubu lacks and Martins refuses to utilise.

With Martins fit he was always at risk but Anichebe was our best player against Saudi and i am disappointed if true. The home based guys were a given but i expected Yak to be dropped as well as Kanu who was carrying knocks

Nigeria squad

Goalkeepers

Vincent Enyeama (Hapoel Tel Aviv, Israel)

Dele Aiyenugba (Bnei Yehuda, Israel)

Austin Ejide (Hapoel Petach Tikvah, Israel)

Defenders

Taye Taiwo (Marseille, France)

Elderson Echiejile (Rennes, France)

Chidi Odiah (CSKA Moscow, Russia)

Joseph Yobo (Everton, England)

Ayodele Adeleye (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands)

Rabiu Afolabi (SV Salzburg, Austria)

Danny Shittu (Bolton Wanderers, England)

Midfielders

Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi (TSG Hoffenheim, Germany)

Kalu Uche (Almeria, Spain)

Dickson Etuhu (Fulham, England)

John Mikel Obi (Chelsea, England)

Sani Kaita (Alaniya, Russia)

Haruna Lukman (AS Monaco, France)

Yusuf Ayila (Dynamo Kiev, Ukraine)

Osaze Odemwingie (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia)

Strikers

Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Everton, England)

Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth, England)

Obafemi Martins (Wolfsburg, Germany)

John Utaka(Portsmouth, England)

Victor Obinna Nsofor (Malaga, Spain)

Cousin just text me saying the Kickoffnigeria list is not officially confirmed but is being broadcast on local stations. Brown Ideye most likely the 7th player then.

The absence of Anichebe and Apam and the inclusion of Yakubu seems to be the biggest cause for gripe as the comments on kickoffnigeria show. It does feel like an NFF compiled list tbh.

Its official, that is the 23 man squad.

The dropping of Anichebe is the biggest shock as his performance against Saudi should have erned him a place. The dropping of Ikechukwu Uche the top scorer during qualifying is a major blow too.

And pretty much pointless. Just which of the countless average Nigerian strikers the coach is taking to the World Cup won't make much of a difference.

Definitely would because the annoyance is not over what he can do it is more over the fact that it means that the cliques still run the team.

Yakubu has no right to be in that squad whatsoever, Kanu we can understand out of gratitude and because he is a loved person.

Anichebe and Ikechukwu Uche are much better choices (Ikechukwu) is not really an average striker tbh.

Archived