Team settings, player settings and player roles ?!

I have a couple questions regarding team settings, player settings and player roles, which I have never seen answered, so I hope someone here can help me...

1. If I manually set all player settings (mentality, passing, tackling etc), will the team settings matter? In other words if all my players are manually set to normal mentality, will a change in mentality on the team settings matter?

2. If I manually set all player settings, will the player role (deeplying playermaker/defend, centralmidfielder support, etc) matter?

3. And last but not least.. In the same scenario of manually setting all player settings, will a change in playing-style work? Will very fluid attacking be any different than balanced control ?

My guess is no, but i'm not 100% sure. I have seen a lot of tactics where all individual player settings were set manually, but still team settings were used.

Actually I've been wondering about No. 2 for a while.

Some of the folk who create tactics have mentioned that they find some differences in the way the team performs when they assign different Player Roles to each position, EVEN IF the individual instructions are identical.

I distinctly remember someone mentioning how their tactic makes use of a Complete Forward, but for some reason it works better when the player is set as a Targetman (the role, not the instruction), with individual instructions emulating the in-game Complete Forward role.

Originally I thought it was just anecdotal, but then I started thinking about the Tactics Creator and Wizard, and how they seem to assign Playmaker and Targetman duties according to the roles you have on the pitch, even if you don't necessarily envision using them.

I could be dead wrong, of course, but a part of me is thinking that yes, you set Rooney as a Treq upfront, but tweak him so that he becomes a Complete/Defensive/Advanced forward, the match engine does still recognize that he should be the focal point of attack, even without ticking Primary Playmaker or Targetman in the team instructions.

Thoughts? Like I said, might be very, very wrong.

2. no

But that's the place when you have to mix team tactics with player instructions. I use pre-set role sliders and I adjust only 1-2 sliders myself, e.g. "long shots" according to specific player abilities.

Then I can switch my player instructions by team tactics - for example if you change your team passing to "more direct" all players passing will go a bit more direct. It won't happen if you have set all instructions manually.

Actually I've been wondering about No. 2 for a while.

Some of the folk who create tactics have mentioned that they find some differences in the way the team performs when they assign different Player Roles to each position, EVEN IF the individual instructions are identical.

I distinctly remember someone mentioning how their tactic makes use of a Complete Forward, but for some reason it works better when the player is set as a Targetman (the role, not the instruction), with individual instructions emulating the in-game Complete Forward role.

Originally I thought it was just anecdotal, but then I started thinking about the Tactics Creator and Wizard, and how they seem to assign Playmaker and Targetman duties according to the roles you have on the pitch, even if you don't necessarily envision using them.

I could be dead wrong, of course, but a part of me is thinking that yes, you set Rooney as a Treq upfront, but tweak him so that he becomes a Complete/Defensive/Advanced forward, the match engine does still recognize that he should be the focal point of attack, even without ticking Primary Playmaker or Targetman in the team instructions.

Thoughts? Like I said, might be very, very wrong.

Coincidence or perception I would say. The match engine takes in the variables, it doesn't deal with the 'text string' associated with those variables as that would make zero sense. Of course that is just conjecture/opinion but....

Coincidence or perception I would say. The match engine takes in the variables, it doesn't deal with the 'text string' associated with those variables as that would make zero sense. Of course that is just conjecture/opinion but....

That's what I would think too, though it's also possible that there is more than a text string involved. I personally have no real clue, and like I mentioned before, would normally agree with you whole-heartedly, but still interesting. To me, at least.

I look at it like this:

Using the TC's Player Roles is akin to a manager telling the team, "Look, Wayne is going to be our Treq, alright? Use HIM for our attacking outlet, the main focal point. Every chance you get. But Wayne, you defend too, and cross the ball more when you get the chance. Don't get too fancy, just get into the box."

So in a sense, despite the individual instructions the rest of the team still sees him as a Treq. Or something. I feel I'm not explaining it right. Haha

Archived