JEinchy

Game

Football Manager 2010

Version

Database

Leagues Loaded

Argentina - Premier Devision

Brazil - First Division

England - All leagues down to Coca-Cola League 2.

France - All leages down to Ligue 2.

Germany - All leagues down to Second Division.

Holland - All leagues down to Jupiler League.

Italy - All leagues down to Serie B.

Portugal - All leagues down to Liga Vitales.

Spain - All leagues down to Liga adelante.

Okay, so the ultimate aim of this game is for me to journey around the major nations of Europe, managing a variety of different clubs both small and big. Ideally, I do want to start small-ish and work my way up to a bigger club in the future.

So why major nations? As this is my first real honest attempt at a journeyman save, I thought it would be best to start off with leagues I am familiar with. Perhaps in the future I may embark on a journey around some of the smaller nations.

Because I am managing in the big leagues, I have set my past experience to "Professional Footballer". I want to be able to get jobs quickly at the start and not spend half the game unemployed and holidaying. To me, that is boring and given the state of my computer I will be sitting here for a long time if that were the case.

You may be wondering why Argentina and Brazil are loaded, when this is supposed to be a game spanning over Europe. I loaded them only for the players and coaches it adds to the database, since these two countries are a very rich source of talent.

So then, let's get this journey started.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]Year                      Club                      League                Final Position         Achievements                Notes[/b]
[b]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/b]------------------------------------------------
2009/2010              Bradford City          Coca-Cola League 2               3rd             Automatic Promotion             N/A
2010/2011              Bradford City          Coca-Cola League 1               ---             N/A                             Resigned
2010/2011              Watford                Coca Cola Championship           12th            N/A                             Out of contract
2011/2012              NEC Nijmegen           Eredivise                        4th             N/A                             Signed new three year deal
2012/2013              NEC Nijmegen           Eredivise                        2nd             Dutch Cup winners               N/A
2013/2014              NEC Nijmegen           Eredvisie                        ---             Dutch Super Cup winners         Resigned
2013/2014              Benfica                Liga Sagres                                                      

Jamie Einchcomb, a former professional footballer, is now looking to cut his managerial teeth somewhere in Europe. At the start of the game, there were three vacant club managerial positions: Valladolid of Liga BBVA, Villareal "B" of Liga adelante and Bradford City of Coca Cola League 2. Each one was offered a different challenge of various difficulty and if I were to rank them in order of how hard each challenge would be, the standing would look a little like this:

Villareal "B"

Valladolid

Bradford City

Unable to decide which one I wanted to go for, I simply applied for all three. A day later, I was approached by Bradford and Villareal "B", but Valladolid had turned me down.

Villareal "B" are an interesting team. Tipped for relegation in the second division of Spain, they are the B team for first division side Villareal and certainly have a very average sqaud of Villareal "rejects". Bradford, on the other hand, were a good side in League 2 billed to finish 2nd in the league and although the budget is far from appealing (when is it ever at that level?), they interested me more than Villareal "B".

And that is where I ended up for my first job as a manager: Bradford City FC,

bradfordcity.jpg

Two things...

1. I saw the thread title and knew Scotland wouldn't be included. :D

2. Have Argentina and Brazil moved to Europe?

You've just reminded me of the one detail I forgot to include in the introduction. :o

I loaded the two in order to add extra players and coaches to the database. Brazil and Argentina are very rich pools of talent.

Bradford City - 2009/2010

Pre-Season

First of all, here are the transfers I made. Note that I have delibrately left out the "OUTS" part of the screen. No players have left the club in this transfer window.

bradfordcityins.png

I've bolstered the weak areas of the team, particularly on the left wing as Bradford had no left wingers and this, obviously, was a problem since I am playing 4-4-2 with them. Central defence was another area that was lacking somebody of real quality and Mamadou Seck certainly provides that in abundance. Rhys Murphy was brought in to really add a goal threat as I was dubious about whether or not the current strikers in the team could do so over 46 games in the league.

Having only £10,000 to spend and a very small amount of excess wages, I could go with loans and free transfers. I may only be here for a short amount of time, but I certainly do not want to bankrupt the club during my tenure.

Pre-season was positive. We played a four games against weak opposition. I was only looking to improve the morale of the squad, which was poor to say the least. Games against bigger opposition I deemed unnecessary, hence the small amount of friendlies.

bradfordcitypreseason.png

With pre-season done and dusted, it is time to kick off the season. Our first game is at home to Lincoln City.

Mid-Season

bradfordcityleaguetable.png

Okay, so the media expected us to finish 2nd and more importantly, the board expected the team to gain automatic promotion to League One this season. So you can probably guess that being in 11th is far from ideal for everyone involved with Bradford City FC.

Yes, things have been unexpectedly tough; the team has found goals hard to come by and is not shy in shipping any either. We've had some appalling results and it is no surprise that my job has been on the line several times this season. Recently, though, we've kicked our form up to new levels which has seen has rocket up the table. We are only 6 points away from one of those three automatic spots and if we can keep up some consistant form from now until the end of the season than we will be in with a shout. My job is still far from safe, but they aren't going to be getting rid of me of so easily. ;)

In order for us to reach our goals, though, I need to take a dip into the transfer market and get myself some quality players, either on loan or on a free. My main targets are a striker who can get me goals, and a creative player in the centre of the midfield. Creativity is something that is very lacking here.

End of Season

bradfordpromoted.png

From underachieveing with my job on the line every week, to promotion by a single goal on the final day of the season and now considered a hero amongst Bradford fans. The team knuckled down and worked hard and after a couple of months of scraping out 1-0 and 2-1 wins, we started to really kick it up and entered the form that saw us rise up the table into those automatic spots. We kept dropping down and then rising again, and the race for that last automatic spot went down to the final day. Both us and Bury drew, and our goal-difference just happened to be +1 higher. In the end, it was a great season.

Next season, though, I may not be at Bradford. If any nice looking jobs appear in the summer than I will be on my way. If not, I shall be spending one more year at Valley Parade, trying to keep them in League One. I will not be staying at Bradford for season three, regardless. Busy summer ahead.

Bradford City - 2010/2011

Pre-Season

There were no jobs avaliable for me in the summer, so I had no other alternative but to stay on with Bradford City and try to consilidate their place in League One. As it turns out, I will have to do more than that as the board expects a safe mid-table finish. They have given £150,000 to do this, on top of a very handy £20,000 wage bill increase. That in mind, here are the transfers I made.

Transfers

I've managed to get my hands on some very good players, most noticeably Martyn Waghorn on a free. I've added some quality all over the pitch. We now also have quite a bit of depth to get us through what will be a long and hard season.

Pre-Season

Again, I devoted pre-season to morale boosting and team gelling. The West Ham game I kept there so that we raise a little extra cash.

So then, this is the squad I have to work with for the upcoming season. Hopefully this time, I will not be offered an ultimatum from my own board :o

Sqaud

August

Bradford 1 - 1 Gillingham (League 1)

For this game, I really wanted a win to start off the campaign but we really lakced a cutting edge. Gillingham took the lead after a defensive mishap but Gareth Evans equalised to earn us a point. Not the most ideal side against a side who is predicted to finish one place above us in the table, but not the worse either.

Scunthorpe 1 - 0 Bradford (League Cup First Round)

In my eyes, it was a nothing game as I do not want to progress in this competition. Either way, it was always going to be a hard game and at least we left with some dignity intact.

Leyton Orient 2 - 1 Bradford (League 1)

A tricky away game on paper and we may feel a bit unlucky as Orient managed to score two screamers from outside the area. Andrea Orlandi managed to pull one back in the 80th minute but we could not push on for the equaliser. A disappointing defeat.

Bradford 1 - 0 Stockport (League 1)

Our first win of the season in a game where we should have scored two or three more but we were wasteful. Gareth Evans got his second of the season.

Southend 0 - 1 Bradford (League 1)

We were very fortunate in this game. Southend bombarded our goal with shot after shot but they could not convert their chances. Andrea Orlandi then popped up and snatched the goal. We spent the second half deep in our half, trying to see out the lead and still being peppered by shot after shot. Somehow, we hung on to a very good win at this stage in the season. Could have easily lost 4-0 or 5-0 though.

September

Bradford 4 - 1 Lincoln (JPT Trophy North First Round)

An excellent win over League 2 side Lincoln. My Braford side are not known for scoring many goals so to get four will be a welcome boost to our confidence.

Bradford 1 - 0 Swindon (League One)

A solid win against good opponents. Young left winger Gary Frewen got the goal.

Bradford 2 - 0 Oldham (League One)

An expected win, though it wasn't easy against struggling Oldham. Guillem Buaza and Max Noble with the goals that secured our fourth consecutive win.

Charlton 4 - 2 Bradford (League One)

It did not start well for us in this game, as Gary McSheffrey scores a curling screamer. Straight after though, Buaza equalised. Then in the second half, Martyn Waghorn put us ahead. I set out to defend the lead, but then some appalling defending saw us concede a furhter three goals. Could have been a very good win, but for the defenders letting the team down.

Hartlepool 1 - 1 Bradford (League One)

A good point away to table topping Hartlepool. Can't expect much more at this point.

Bradford 2 - 0 Blackpool (League One)

A solid peformance bring a good result. Buaza and Goodwin with the goals.

Bradford 3 - 0 Carlisle (League One)

An expected win over the bottom side in the division. Buaza, Grassi and Waghorn got the goals to cap off a very good month.

--------------------------------------------

Now then, Watford have approached me. They are 24th in the Championship and not doing too well, whereas I am doing very well at Bradford. Chances are we won't be in the Championship next year, so taking this job could see me take a step up another level. But then leaving Bradford seems difficult at the moment...

watfordcrest.png

As you may tell by the crest, I have decided to leave Bradford City and join Watford until June 2011, on a £1,400 p/w contract. I feel I have left Bradford in a very good position in League One and they should do well without me there. My job here is to make sure Watford do not relegated.

Watford are a mid-table team predicted to finish 9th, but find themselves 24th with only 1 win in 10 games. Its no surpise that Mackay has been sacked. The squad aren't very happy and a lot of them feel Watford are underachieveing. With a thin squad, I certainlu do have some work to do.

Squad

Watford - 2010/2011

October

Watford 2 - 0 Sheffield United (Coca-Cola Championship)

First game in charge and I got a win. It was vital that we got off to a good start and we did.

Cardiff 1 - 1 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

A very tough game and I'm very happy to come out with a draw. These aren't the games that we should be too worried about winning at this point so a draw is very welcome.

West Ham 3 - 1 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

We were outlclassed by recently relegated West Ham, so there's no disgrace here. Again, not the sort of game we should be too worried about losing.

Watford 1 - 0 Ipswich (Coca-Cola Championship)

Now this is the sort of game we should be worried about winning; a team around us in the table. Ipswich are 20th, while we were below them in 23rd. It was tight game but we managed to sneak it in the end. A vital three points.

Watford 1 - 1 Burnley (Coca-Cola Championship)

A good point against much stronger opposition.

Watford - 2010/2011

November

Swansea 0 - 3 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

A fantastic win that is sure to do the team a world of good. I decided to take a gamble and adopt a very attacking style of football and it paid off here against Swansea. A sign of things to come, hopefully.

Watford 3 - 2 West Brom (Coca-Cola Championship)

Same tactic, slightly different yet similar result! West Brom were 2nd in the table but we managed to pull off yet another great win.

Newcastle 4 - 4 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

To be honest, I was dreading this game. Playing away to a very good team like Newcaslte with the state we are in was certainly not an attractive proposition. Nonetheless, we went in with new confidence gained from the previous two wins and our new attacking style, and came away with a handy point in a thriller of a game.

Watford 3 - 2 Coventry (Coca-Cola Championship)

An important win against a team that was one place above us. A tough game but we managed to get though in the end.

Leeds 3 - 3 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Another thriller, another point. I was looking for a win against another team that we pretty close to us in the table but I cannot be disappointed with this.

-------------------------------------------------------------

So November was a very hectic month; a month that has seen us rise from 22nd in the table to 18th. Of course, a team like Watford should not be down here but given the horrible start they had and all the problems we've done well to get this far.

16 goals scored, 11 conceded. A great month for the neutrals as well.

Watford 2010/2011

December

Watford 3 - 0 MK Dons (Coca-Cola Championship)

An easy win against bottom side MK Dons. Hoskins, Cowie and Spurs loanee Danny Rose with the goals.

Barnsley 0 - 2 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

A very good win over a team just above us in the table. Hoskins and Graham with the goals.

Watford 0 - 2 Bolton (Coca-Cola Championship)

Our unbeaten run came at an end here against table topping Bolton. We were pretty much outclassed by a significantly better team. Nothing to worry about too much.

Watford 1 - 0 Preston (Coca-Cola Championship)

A routine win against struggling Preston. Don Cowie scored the only goal.

Crystal Palace 1 - 1 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Despite dominating the match we could not beat Palace, who are one below us in the table. Don Cowie, again, with the goal.

Watford 2 - 0 Plymouth (Coca-Cola Championship)

Rose and Graham gives us a good win against a side above us in the table.

---------------------------------------------------------

It is time to enter the January transfer window. My first job here is to free up over £17,000 of wages, which will not be easy. At the same time, I want to bolster the squad somewhat as we make a late push on the play-off places.

Watford - 2010/2011

January

Results:

Chelsea 1 - 0 Watford (F.A. Cup Third Round)

Watford 3 - 3 Nottingham Forest (Coca-Cola Championship)

Q.P.R. 2 - 1 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Derby 1 - 1 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Watford 5 - 3 Scunthorpe (Coca-Cola Championship)

Leicester 2 - 2 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Watford 2 - 0 Cardiff (Coca-Cola Championship)

Summary:

January was very much a mixed month for on and off the pitch. Results wise, we only lost one game in the league which is positive. We drew some tricky ties and got some good wins, especially that game against Scunthorpe.

Off the pitch, I managed to sell of two players but I could cut £5,000 out of the wage budget. Ellington returned from his loan spell and before I could sell him, a German side came in and signed him on a pre-contract deal. So he willl leave for free with the summer. In the time being, I am stuck with his massive £10,000 wages. :(

------------------------------------------------------

February

Results:

Huddersfield 2 - 2 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Watford 3 - 1 Reading (Coca-Cola Championship)

Sheff Utd 1 - 0 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Watford 1 - 3 West Ham (Coca-Cola Championship)

Summary:

A difficult month for us in terms of who we had to play. Sheffield United and West Ham were simply too strong for us, while playing away in this league is a tough proposition no matter who you are up against.

------------------------------------------------------

watfordtable2011.png

Note: 10 points have been deducted from Newcastle, West Ham and Bolton.

Watford - 2010/2011

March

Ipswich 2 - 0 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Burnley 3 - 0 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Watford 0 - 0 Swansea (Coca-Cola Championship)

West Brom 2 - 3 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Summary

Not a great month. Five games without a win (four of those being defeats) until that West Brom game where we somehow, by some miracle, came out with all three points.

--------------------------------------------------

April

Coventry 2 - 1 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

MK Dons 2 - 2 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Watford 1 - 1 Leeds (Coca-Cola Championship)

Watford 1 - 1 Barnsley (Coca-Cola Championship)

Summary

A very indfferent month for us, as the team is pretty much going through the motions. One more game to go.

May

Bolton 3 - 3 Watford (Coca-Cola Championship)

Summary

One game to go and it was my last game as Watford manager. A very entertaining match and we managed to end the season on a high.

watfordtable2011end.png

Having joined the club from Bradford part way into the season, things we looking rather bleak. Watford were bottom of the league with only one win from ten and the club was in a total mess. With a bit hard work though, we managed to rise up the table into 12th, which is three places below where the media predicted. I think this season has gone well for me, personally, as I had fulfilled the task I set out to do; save Watford from possible crisis.

My contract ends in June. With the club having little funds and with a lot of players desiring to leave for greener pastures else where, I see this job as a bit of a dead end job so I shall be joining a new club for the 2011/2012 season. Who that club is, I have no idea. :)

After around three months of waiting and half a dozen failed applications (plus Toulouse laughed at my interest in their job :(), I finally have a new job. Not my most ideal choice, but they are in the top tier of their country. Say hello to:

neccrest.png

This is the current state of affairs for NEC Nijmegen:

Eredvisie

They have a sqaud capable of achieving a mid-table position at the very least and I think, at this early stage, I can achieve that. Either way, I have signed until the end of the season so if things do not go to plan I have a quick escape route. Do I see my future here? Possibly. But given that they £19,000 over the wage budget I may be stuck in another job where finances are going to prevent them from going further. We'll see. Wish me luck. :D

NEC Nijmegen - 2011/2012

January Update

Results

October

FC Emmen 1 - 1 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

November

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 0 Roda JC (Eredivisie)

sc Heerenveen 2 - 2 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

FC Twente 2 - 2 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 1 FC Utrecht (Eredivisie)

December

Vitesse 0 - 0 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

AZ Alkmaar 1 - 1 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 1 VV Venlo (Eredivisie)

Eredivise - January

Summary

In the eight games I have been in charge at NEC Nijmegen, I have yet to lose. Granted, there are more draws than wins in that batch of results however for a team trying to rise up the table and away from the relegation zone, not losing is incredibly important. What's more, we have gone away to place like sc Heerenveen, FC Twente and AZ Alkmaar and have picked up points which could prove priceless come the end of the season (if we are still in this mess, of course).

We now enter the January break and in this time, there will most certainly be some movement in the transfer market as I offload a few trouble making players and one player who has 6 months left on his contract and wants over £10,000 p/w in order to resign; that's not happening, so I'm looking to cash in where I can. I am not sure about bringing players in, as the current squad is already good enough but if the right player comes along, we'll see.

NEC Nijmegen - 2011/2012

End of Season Update

Results

January

NEC Nijmegen 4 - 1 Feyenoord (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 3 - 2 ADO Den Haag (Eredivisie)

February

NAC Breda 1 - 1 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

FC Groningen 0 - 1 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 1 - 1 FC Twente (Eredivisie)

Ajax 1 - 1 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 3 - 0 FC Oos (Eredivisie)

March

Telstar 2 - 2 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 0 Heracles Almelo (Eredivisie)

PSV Eindhoven 2 - 2 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 0 FC Emmen (Eredivisie)

April

Roda JC 1 - 3 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 1 - 0 sc Heerenveen (Eredivisie)

FC Utrecht 2 - 3 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

VV Venlo 0 - 1 NEC Nijmegen (Eredivisie)

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 0 Vitesse (Eredivisie)

Eredivise - Final Table

Summary

What a season it turned out to be! My best yet, I'd say. Even better than my promotion season with Bradford. Coming into NEC back in October, I did forsee us coming this far. We not only qualified for Europe, we did it without the need for playing in the European play-off which is a great achievement for this relatively small side. We managed to snatch fourth on the final day of the season, where Heracles beat PSV 3-0 which menat a win against rivals Vitesse would get us fourth. The players did not let me down.

I can put this success down to one thing; our 24 games unbeaten run, and our six game winning streak which spanned over the final six games of the season. Both club records. It is amazing that since I have been charge, NEC have not lost a match. The fact that we got so many points from big Dutch sides like Ajax, AZ, Feyenoord, PSV and sc Heerenveen is a miracle in itself.

What Next?

I was only on a one year contract, but unlike last time with Watford I have decided to sign a new three year contract with NEC Nijmegen. The plan? Win the first major trophy in NEC history. Despite being around since 1900, NEC have only won the Jupiler League once. In three years, I plan on winning the Eredivise with NEC - I would be the first NEC manager to do so. That would look good on the resume, me thinks. Certainly, I feel that the foundations are their to be built upon.

NEC Nijmegen - 2012/2013

Start of Season Update

Expectations

Eredivisie: Compete amongst the top teams in the league. Also means: qualify for Europe via the league.

Europa League: Learn from the experience of playing in the Europa League.

Dutch Cup: Reach the quarter-finals of the Dutch Cup

With such a good finish to the season last year, the expectations of the board have naturally increased. This is fine by me, as I feel I have a strong enough squad to reach these expectations. I hope to finish 4th again in the Eredivise, qualify for the knockout stages of the Europa League and actually win the Dutch Cup, although a semi-final appearance would be good as well.

Transfers

But to achieve those expectations, some sqaud strengthening was required.

Firstly, Lasse Schone, a Danish attacking midfielder, left on a free to sc Heerenveen. He was a good player but renewing his contract would require me to tripple his wages which was just not worth it. So he has been allowed to move.

Gabor Babos, former captain and number one goalkeeper, was sold for £40,000 to Tottenham. I planned on keeping him but he became angry after I stripped him of the captaincy part way through last season. No need to keep a 38 year old, not so good and bad influence of a keeper around. Nickolas Skverer, a reserve keeper, left for Sunderland for £45,000.

Jhon van Beukering was a player who wanted to be a key player despite being the third weakest striker in my squad. I shipped him off as quickly as possible for £100,000 to 1860 Munich. Bram Nuytinck, another who wanted mega-wages when he did not deserve them, was moved on for £200,000 to FSV Frankfurt.

A very talented centre back at the club, Tom Mulder, was sold for funds to Leverkusen for £650,000. Lastly, Juninho, a keeper we signed six months ago (a deal made by the previous manager), left to Parma for £800,000 after deciding he was too big for NEC. Thanks for the cash.

So I had gotten rid of many bad influences on the squad harmony and raked on a very handsome £1,800,000 to go with my original £900,000 transfer kitty.

The first in was experienced Ghanian midfield Stephen Appiah on a free transfer. He's still a very good player for this level and for £3,000 p/w it is a good deal indeed. Next in was a new keeper, another Brazillian, known as Marcelo for £110,000. He will easily be my number one and was cheap due to being int he reserve team of Corinthians. The last player to come in was file:///C:/Users/myne/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/img]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9160/ibrahimokoro.png"]Ibrahim Okoro for £400,000. A younger version of one oif my best players and will be a big player for us, hopefully.

So only £510,000 spent. That's a net spend of +£1,490,000.

Eredivise

August

Volendam 1 - 1 NEC Nijmegen

Vitesse 2 - 3 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 0 FC Utrecht

NEC Nijmegen 1 - 1 Feyenoord

A decent start to the new season, with two good wins, a good point and one disappointg result against a newly promoted side. Still 30 more games to go.

By the way, that makes it 28 league games without defeat now. This may be a record worth keeping an eye on.

Europa League

Qualifying Round Two

Mondercange 0 - 2 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 8 - 0 Mondercange

Qualifying Round Three

Maccabi Netanya 1 - 2 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 3 - 1 Maccabi Netanya

Qualifying Round Four

NEC Nijmegen 3 - 0 Dinamo Dbillsi

Dinamo Dbillsi 0 - 1 NEC Nijmegen

The qualification for the Europa League started way back at the start of August, and has seen us go to Luxermbourg, Isreal and Georgia. Every game though was relatively easy although it did serve to pack out a traditionally short month in terms of games.

These are the groups.

It looks very tricky but I think we were very lucky to get Dnipro and AaB in our group. I think we can beat those two which makes qualification to the knockouts a real possibility for us. AC Milan will just be a glamour tie for us.

NEC Nijmegen - 2012/2013

January Update

Eredivise

September

PSV Eindhoven 0 - 2 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 3 - 1 Heracles Almelo

October

Roda JC 1 - 1 NEC Nijmegen

sc Heerenveen 0 - 0 NEC Nijmegn

November

Excelsior 2 - 3 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 1 - 1 AZ Alkmaar

Ajax 2 - 2 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 4 - 0 FC Twente

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 0 VV Venlo

December

FC Emmen 0 - 2 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 1 - 0 NAC Breda

NEC Nijmegen 4 - 1 De Graafschap

NEC Nijmegen 1 - 0 Vitesse

Eredivisie - January

We are having a terrific season so far, evident by certain results this season such as going to Eindhoven and beating PSV comfortably 2-0, or beating FC Twente 4-0 at home. If we continue at this rate, we should be able to challenge for the title with an awesome Ajax side (who have won it the three previous seasons) and failing that, we should finish in a Champions League spot.

Also, we have gone 41 games unbeaten in the league. The Eredivise record is 52, set by Ajax in the 1960's. Breaking that record is now a realistic aim although we have to be weary, because Ajax themselves are on 40 games unbeaten and will love nothing more than to break their own record.

Dutch Cup

Second Round

NEC Nijmegen 6 - 0 WHC

Third Round

NEC Nijmegen 3 - 0 Helmond Sport

Fourth Round

FC Twente 2 - 4 NEC Nijmegen

Quarter Final

NEC Nijmegen vs sc Heerenveen

We've reached the quarter finals, which is what the board expected us to do. I don't want to stop there though, as winning this trophy is a realistic prospect although it will take some effort as some good teams are still in there.

Europa League

Group Stages

NEC Nijmegen 2 - 2 AC Milan

Dnipro 0 -1 NEC Nijmegen

AaB 1 - 2 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 3 - 0 Aab

AC Milan 4 - 3 NEC Nijmegen

NEC Nijmegen 4 - 1 Dnipro

Group Stage

I'm really happy with how the group stages went for us. We exerted our dominance over Dnipro and Aab and gave some real fighting performances against AC Milan, who, it has to be said, are ten times better than we are in almost every aspect.

We have been drawn against Celtic in the round of 32, which will certainly be an interesting tie. If we win, we could play either CSKA Moscow or Roma in the next round. It is looking like our time in this competiton is running short but we will give it a go nonetheless.

Outstanding Players

Nikita Rukavystya

Bjorn Vleminckx

Luis Ibanez

NEC Nijmegen - 2012/2013

End of Season Update

Eredivise

Results: January to April

Final Eredivise

necunbeatenrecord.png

So close. We were so close but this awesome Ajax side had score too many goals for us to keep up. Really disappointed not to have pipped them to the title, but a second place finish is beyond all expectaton. I'm very proud of my team.

I'm even more proud of that record in the screenshot; 56 league games without defeat. A new Eredivise record. Who'd have thought that NEC Nijmegen of all teams would be the one to break Ajax's record int the end? Not me, that's for sure. This team, despite not winning the league, has a place in Eredivise history.

Europa League

Round of 32

NEC Nijmegen 1 - 2 Celtic

Celtic 1 - 1 NEC Nijmegen

We went out in the first knockout round. It was a shame but I was not too disappointed. To even get to that stage was a big enough achievement for us.

Dutch Cup

Dutch Cup Final

This was an amazing day for many reasons. Not only did we well and truly beat Ajax in the end, this was NEC's first ever major trophy in their 113 year history. What a way to get it. A fantastic achievement for us.

Outstanding Players

Nikita Rukavystya

Luis Ibanez

It is because of these two that we had such an amazing season. Absolutely brilliant effort from two players brought in by the previous manager. It's a shame that there are no player awards in the Netherlands, otherwise these two would sweep them I'm sure.

What Next?

Throughout the season I was linked with many jobs; FC Twente, Feyenoord, FC Groningen, Paris St. Germain and, surprisingly, Barcelona. I doubt I can get the Barcelona job and that is all dependant on what happens with Guardiola and his contract but should there be a vanancy, I shall be applying.

Despite that, I still have two more years on my NEC contract and I still want to win the league with them before moving on. So in some ways I wish for the Barcelona job not to become avaliable in the summer.

I won the Dutch Super Cup with NEC, beating Ajax 2-1. After that, I decided to resign as NEC Nijmegen manager. I've had some unforgettable moments there but I think it is time for me to rise up and manage a bigger club.

With continental reputation now, finding a job of that calibre should not be too difficult hopefully.

After a few months of being unemployed and being linked with coutnless unappealing jobs, I was offered a job by two clubs: Everton, currently 18th in the Premier League, and Benfica, 2nd in the Liga Sagres. Which one did I choose?

benficacrest.png

Benfica - 2013/2014

January Update

November

Liexoes 1 - 4 Benfica

December

Benfica 4 - 1 Boavista

P. Ferreria 2 - 4 Benfica

Benfica 3 - 0 Vit. Guimaraes

Liga Sagres - January

With a squad as talented as Benfica's, winning games has not really been that hard. Despite our win streak though, we are not making up any ground on leaders Porto. It seemed the previous Benfica manager did not do enough early on and it is looking increasingly unlikely that Porto will relent in their romp for their first title in three years (Benfica won it the previous two years). Nonetheless, we will keep going in case something miraculous happens.

Champions League

Benfica 2 - 2 Real Madrid

Siroki Brijeg 0 - 2 Benfica

The predicament in our group was that Benfica were 3rd, behind Bordeaux in second and Real Madrid in third. On the final day of the group, we need to win at least 3-0 and we need Bordeaux to lose. That way we would go through on goal difference since our head-to-head was the same. However, we only won 2-0 and Bordeuax beat Madird in Spain and subsuquently won the group while we finished third. That means we drop down in the Europa League.

We were drawn with Palermo in the first knockout round, and if we win we will play Lech or Porto in the second knockout round.

Archived