FM2008 - Ipswich Town - Home of The Tractor Boys!

badgegr1.jpg

The club was founded in 1878 but did not turn professional until 1936, and were subsequently elected to join the Football League in 1938. They play their home games at Portman Road in Ipswich. The only fully professional football club in Suffolk, they have a long-standing and fierce rivalry with Norwich City in Norfolk, with whom they have contested the East Anglian Derby 134 times since 1902.

Ipswich won the English league title once, in 1961–62, and have been runners-up twice in 1980–81 and 1981–82. They won the FA Cup in 1977–78, and the UEFA Cup in 1980–81.

Squad

1 GK Shane Supple

3 DF Matthew Richards

5 DF Alex Bruce

6 DF Richard Naylor

7 MF Owen Garvan

9 FW Pablo Couñago

10 MF Tommy Miller

11 MF Gavin Williams

12 MF Jaime Peters

13 GK Nick Colgan

14 FW Alan Lee

16 DF Chris Casement

17 FW Dean Bowditch

18 FW Danny Haynes

19 FW Jon Walters

20 DF David Wright

22 MF Gary Roberts

23 DF Dan Harding

24 FW Billy Clarke

25 MF Alan Quinn

26 MF Velice Å umulikoski

28 MF David Norris

29 MF Ed Upson

31 DF Michael Synnott

35 DF Tommy Smith

36 MF Liam Trotter

38 FW Jordan Rhodes

You start off with a fairly strong team, but it does need a little work.

Training is key.

If you choose Title Winner from the start you can get up to £20m.

Enjoy!

Nice opening thread.

Im an ipswich fan and, although i arent doing one now, i have started several ipswich saves. my new signings are always about the same:

CB: De Merit

CB: Christanval

LB: Hill

LM: Leto (loan)

LM: Mahon

ST: Anichebe (Loan)

ST: Fuller

Also, isnt Nick Colgan number 99, not 13?

Originally posted by thegaffer91:

Nice opening thread.

Im an ipswich fan and, although i arent doing one now, i have started several ipswich saves. my new signings are always about the same:

CB: Christanval

LB: Hill

LM: Leto (loan)

LM: Mahon

ST: Anichebe (Loan)

ST: Fuller

Also, isnt Nick Colgan number 99, not 13?

Off wiki, so not sure how up to date.

My Signings usually consist of a 2 x DC'S , MC, 2 Strikers and Wingers!

Team at the moment on my current game:

GK R Wright (He's Back!)

DR Wright

DL Harding (Soon to be Lewis Stevenson)

DC Van Der Wiel (On Loan, soon to be Martin Latka)

DC Kisnorbo

MR Sarki (Young Chelsea Kid)

ML Sarki (Bought from Zenit an Assist magnet)

MC Garvan ( Brilliant in midfield)

MC Sean Davis (Simon Walton as backup)

FC Haynes

FC Marlon King ( Still have Kuqi and Counago as backup)

Incoming:

Lewis Stevenson

Belletti (Possibly)

Martin Latka (Czech DC)

Kaebi(400k from Plymouth)

Good to see an official thread. I'm currently in season 3. I won the Championship first season and finished 7th in the EPL last season.

Here's my current team:

GK: Ochoa, Preston Edwards

DL: Mattock, Babic

DC: Bellaid, Radoi

DC: Huth, Rafael Forster

DR: Vidal, Kaebi

ML: Daniel Carvalho, Karamyan

MC: Tainio, Shawky, Garvan

MC: Matuidi, Stelvio

MR: Kalouda, Maxi Moralez, Walters

FC: Sinama-Pongolle, Yakovenko

FC: Stancu, Saivet

My first season signings were:

DeMerit

Karamyan

B. Kalou

Kalouda

Mihelic

Stancu

Preston Edwards

Random advice: Poach Ukraine and Romania once you make it to the EPL. They have quality players for cheaper prices. Romanians are better because they don't need work permits.

Also, make sure you check which teams are relegated in the other leagues. I got Huth, Bellaid, Sinama-Pongolle, Matuidi, and Babic all at discounts because their teams were relegated. I ALMOST got Sobis too, but stupid Newcastle came in with a last minute bid and Sobis chose them over me icon_frown.gif

Feel free to ask questions on which players perform well and where etc.

My first Ipswich Town season:Predicted 11-th,decent squad I told the board I would achieve promotion and they gave me 29 mil euros to spend icon_wink.gif.

Transfers in/out:07/08

I switched between 442 and 433 formation.Had a great team and I won the Championship though

League tablePosition

Ched Evans and Victor Anichebe were my top goalscorers;also Garvan and Gioda were key players

In the FA cupi reached quarter finals,beating Newcastle 3-0,Fulham 4-1 and defeated by Liverpool,5-3 at Anfield

For the second season I have already signed Luis Jimenez and Buonanotte icon_wink.gif

Any tips or comments appreciated

What have you guys done with Haynes?

I've kept him all the way through , now in season three , trained him on intensive tactics and high attacking and ball control. He scored 11 in first season the 21 in second and now on 13 in 20 for third season , but he has missed a fair bit of the season , so he has improved.

Originally posted by hyrule_king:

What have you guys done with Haynes?

I've kept him all the way through , now in season three , trained him on intensive tactics and high attacking and ball control. He scored 11 in first season the 21 in second and now on 13 in 20 for third season , but he has missed a fair bit of the season , so he has improved.

I sold him right away for $2 mil. Is he any good? I remember my scouts not liking him so I let him go for the offer.

I would say he has been my best player in my run to promotion this season, 34 in 45.

I've sold him before for about £7.5m, then he seems to go down hill, i'm going to use him as backup in the prem and look for a decent target man.

Just sold Garvan for £6.25m.

Looking into buying Tymoschuk aged 31 for the prem!

Good or Bad Idea?

I wouldn't spend much on him. He'll be great for 2 years. I say this because Portsmouth bought him at age 30 in my game and he averaged above a 7 for them in the last 2 seasons.

My Ipswich Town team, I have just begun the 09/10 Season.

I have tried not to sign any players wherever possible, preferring to give an opportunity to academy players to prove themselves before I splash any cash on players that might not work out.

Here is my squad:

Dean Gerken Signed from local rivals Colchester for £160,000 as backup to the on loan Stephen Bywater whilst Supple was on loan at Falkirk. Got his chance early in the first season when Bywater suffered an injury and has had the number 1 spot ever since. Excellent goalkeeper.

Shane Supple Spent first season on loan at Falkirk but did not seem to gain much from the experience. Has been understudy to Gerken since but is more than good enough when called upon.

David Wright Solid full back and vice captain. Has played consistently well and has been first choice right back throughout.

Joe Clemo In the academy at the start of the game, still only 17 years old. Eventual successor to David Wright although a more attacking type of full back. Delighted with his progress.

Stuart Ainsley A former Ipswich trainee bought back to the club this summer after spells with Chelmsford and Southport. His arrival is to fight it out for the left back spot with Robinson

Kurt Robinson Another promising young player promoted from the youth system, Robinson is a solid full back who has been gradually improving over the years and is now very much in contention for a starting spot.

Alex Bruce Captain fantastic, an amazing centre back who plays with so much passion every game. Drives the team forward and weighs in with an excellent return of goals for a centre back.

Simon King Bought in from Gillingham for £500,000 as first choice centre back to replace De Vos in season 1. Has performed well but is going to struggle to hold on to his place due to the emergence of Smith. may switch t left back.

Tommy Smith New Zealand international born in Macclesfield, has been with Town since he was 16 and is now putting in excellent performances for the first team after being on the fringes last season.

Tom Taiwo Summer signing from Chelsea on a free, still only 19 but has the potential to fill the troublesome DM position Bags of promise, I hope he delivers.

Owen Garvan Ipswich through and through, his sixth season at Portman Road despite being just 21. Fantastic all round player who always gives his all.

Ed Upson Not progressing as fast as I hoped after seeing him first in the youth team as a 17 year old but this is mainly due to injuries. First season in the first team for him, a chance to shine.

David Norris A signing made just before I took over, 100% committed on the pitch although this does result in a fair few bookings. Also weighs in with alot of assists.

Alan Quinn Another inherited player albeit a very good one. Has been a key part of my first to seasons in charge but his place is now under threat with Reason perfoming well.

Jai Reason Has been knocking at the door of the first team since day one, still only 19 but is proving to be a vital asset to the club. A future star, recently played for England in the U20 Championship.

Lee Barnard Signed from Southend at the end of 07/08 after a successful season which helped them achieve promotion. At £2m he had alot to live up to and took a while to settle in but is now performing well.

Dean Bowditch A player that has shown alot of potential for years but never delivered until I came along. I was ready to sell him but as he started scoring for fun in the reserves he got his chances and has done enough to become a main striker for me.

Danny Haynes Super fast, great finisher. Player of the year two years running with 55 goals in his first two full seasons playing first team football. Number 1 striker at the club.

Jordan Rhodes Spent first season on loan at Oxford and second at Exeter, now my fourth striker. Could be a future star this one so I am bleeding him gently into the first team.

TACTICS

--------GERKEN---------

WRIGHT BRUCE SMITH WRIGHT

---------TROTTER----------

-NORRIS REASON GARVAN--

----RHODES HAYNES-----

TRANSFERS

IN

17/7/08 - Dean Gerken - Colchester - £ 170,000

08/1/08 - Steve Morison - Stevenage - £ 250,000

10/1/08 - James Wesolowski - Leicester - £1,900,000

17/1/08 - Simon King - Gillingham - £ 500,000

01/7/08 - Michael Morrison - Cambridge - £ 35,000

01/7/08 - Lee Barnard - Southend - £2,000,000

01/7/09 - Stuart Ainsley - Southport - £ 170,000

01/7/09 - Tom Taiwo - Chelsea - £ 0

OUT

12/7/07 - Sylvain Legwinski - Hull - £ 0

13/7/07 - Gavin Williams - Cardiff - £ 600,000

02/1/08 - Alan Lee - Dundee Utd - £ 45,000

15/1/08 - Sito - Southend - £ 100,000

01/7/08 - Gary Roberts - Millwall - £ 400,000

14/1/09 - James Wesolowski - Betis - £2,000,000

28/1/09 - Matt Richards - Palace - £ 300,000

01/7/09 - Jonathan Walters - Palace - £ 300,000

01/7/09 - Billy Clarke - Southend - £ 0

01/7/09 - Dan Harding - Cardiff - £ 0

01/7/09 - Pablo Counago - Rotherham - £ 0

As you can see, not a great deal of transfer activity. I try and do this to keep the realism really, Ipswich Town are my local club and I know they do not buy random foreigners to fill up their team, they rely on youth coming through to make up the numbers and hopefully unearth some gems along the way. I have made only select, choice signings who I think will fit into the team and improve it where improvement is needed not just because there is a good player available.

I now have £28m in the bank and get a budget each season of £11m which I hardly touch. I asked the board instead to invest in the already excellent youth facilities which they have done.

First season I finished 7th, missing out on a playoff spot by 1 point.

Second season I managed 5th place easily but miles behind the top four in terms of points and quality. Got knocked out of the playoff semi final by Birmingham.

I'm not too bothered about not going up, I don't think my tsquad is ready for the premiership yet. I would get completely mullered for a whole season and go back down. I want to be in a position where I go up strongly, not just scrape in so I am in good shape to have a bash at staying up.

I would be happy to hear your comments on any of the above, if you wish to see screenshots it can be arranged.

Martin

Great way to play the game, just bring through the youngsters, are you finding some gems?

Jordan Rhodes is scoring for fun in the reserves but my scouts don't like him. I've used him in a few early round FA Cup games and he's done alright. Jai Reason looks pretty good too and has an awesome name.

Originally posted by Scott1990:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyrule_king:

Great way to play the game, just bring through the youngsters, are you finding some gems?

Jordan Rhodes is scoring for fun in the reserves but my scouts don't like him. I've used him in a few early round FA Cup games and he's done alright. Jai Reason looks pretty good too and has an awesome name. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Started a new game, sent no money in first season. Didn't get promoted. Trying to bring through clarke bowditch and rhodes.

ive been promoted to the premier league after my first season, and im not sure if i should give dean bowditch a new contract or not. he has played very well in the reserves and if i go straight back down then he may be one of hte players ill call upon in my third season. what should i do?

ive been promoted to the premier league after my first season, and im not sure if i should give dean bowditch a new contract or not. he has played very well in the reserves and if i go straight back down then he may be one of hte players ill call upon in my third season. what should i do?

Needs some good training behind him , look at attacking (high) and tactics (high), got his finishing and composure up to 16.

Originally posted by Frazza Pee:

High considering starting up an Ipswich save. Can anyone tell me who to buy, who to sell and best tactic. Thanks

You'll eventually sell everyone but right away:

Definitely Buy:

Stancu, Kalouda, Mihelic, Karamyan, Stelvio, a center back (I recommend DeMerit or Shittu), a left back (I bought Mattock), Kaebi, Bonaventure Kalou. The last 2 are free.

Definitely Sell:

Sito, one/two of your central midfielders (not Garvan, he's good), Lee.

Tactics: I can't really recommend just one or two. You can have one which will work for a while and then stop, just try out some different ones. I still can't win away.

Nobody on your starting roster is any good in the premiership except for Garvan and arguably Haynes so feel free to sell the others if you get a good offer.

I'm in season 2014/15 and Danny Haynes is still my number 1 striker. The kid is nothing short of phenomenal. Here's a screen shot and remember they are just league goals scored :-

superdannyhayneske3.th.png

My team has changed drastically in this time so i'll give you an idea of my starting 11 and back up.

GK - Fabianski/Hart/Itandje

DC - Tamas/Fazio/Taylor

DC - Van Der Wiel/Spiranovic/Polak

WBR - Fabinho/Rojas

WBL - Traore/Mathieu/Juelsgard

MR - Ilsinho/Bentley/Bjarnason

MC - Ramon/Alfaro/Dalla Valle

MC- Adrien/De Val

MC - Mihelic/Garvan

AML - Di Maria/Escudero

ST - Haynes/Moses/Scepovic

As you can see Garvan and Haynes are the only two original players from the start of the game. Garvan doesn't play as foten anymore but Haynes gets me 30+ goals a season (still no England call up though icon_confused.gif BUG!)

I've been playing Champs League football for the past 3 seasons and got to the semi finals last season (knocked out by Arsenal), 2nd in the league (runner up to Arsenal) and FA Cup Winners.

Possibly my avourite FM game to date. icon_smile.gif

ok, this is my third season, my second in the prem. im aiming for the top half of the premiership after finishing 11th last season. will this team be good enough to see me through?

GK: Hart

RB: Cassani

LB: Pinola

CB: Alcides

CM: Leko

CM: Pazienza

CM: Garvan

AM: Maloney

ST: Johnson (Eddie)

ST: Haynes

S1: Supple

S2: Wright (David)

S3: Bruce

S4: Sahin

S5: McCarthy

S6: LeTallec

S7: Stancu

I have 3.8m left and space for loans. i also have several premiership capeable players who can come into the squad if there is an injury/suspension.

Where do i need to improve?

Thanks

ok, this is my third season, my second in the prem. im aiming for the top half of the premiership after finishing 11th last season. will this team be good enough to see me through?

GK: Hart

RB: Cassani

LB: Pinola

CB: Alcides

CM: Leko

CM: Pazienza

CM: Garvan

AM: Maloney

ST: Johnson (Eddie)

ST: Haynes

S1: Supple

S2: Wright (David)

S3: Bruce

S4: Sahin

S5: McCarthy

S6: LeTallec

S7: Stancu

I have 3.8m left and space for loans. i also have several premiership capeable players who can come into the squad if there is an injury/suspension.

Where do i need to improve?

Thanks

You have a lot of good but not spectacular players, but I think you should be able to get into the top half. Centerbacks are ok, fullbacks look good, midfield is good but not great, and strikers too similar. Is McCarthy Benny McCarthy? If not, get a targetman (try Alan Smith!), loan a centerback, and get better squad players than Wright and Bruce. I don't know who Leko and Pazienza are, but I'll assume their of the same standard the rest of the squad is. So they should be good enough for now. Maloney isn't so good in this version, but I don't know how he is playing so maybe replace him?

McCarthy is James McCarthy, from hamilton accie. Which centre back should i try for on loan? Nordtveit is already out on loan and sakho wont come. maloney has just won a special place in my heart after a 25 yrd chip against man u on the way to a 4-2 win over man u at old trafford (screenshot will be posted if requested). Billy Clarke also scored twice so ill have to fit him in somehow, probably in place of le tallec or stancu

I tried to sign smith at the beginning of last season, but he went to spurs. ive just put in a 3.8m bid for him, so ill see how it goes. ill try to replace bruce and wright next season. the problem has been that i have had to build three different teams (to get promotion, to avoid relegation and get into the top 10) on limited funds (13.5m, 8.75m and 24.5m respectivly). if you want any more information or screenshots, dont hesitate to ask.

I got Jimenez the second season and sold him during the summer for $60 million (and I sold Enyeama for $50 mil) so that was how I got all the money I needed to buy players.

Here's some centerback recommendations:

Asatiani

Diakhate (from Dinamo Kiev)

Habib Bellaid

Papastathopoulos (if you can be bothered to get his name right!)

Rusol (he's a step sideways, but good cover and cheap)

Djourou (loan)

Hoyte (loan)

Check the relegated teams and snatch their players for cheap. Huelva often are relegated and they have good players, Strasbourg often are relegated and have Bellaid and he's world class. The relegated Italian teams often have quality players. Even check the premierleague. Boro often are relegated and you can get Huth or Potatetz.

Also, raid the hell out of Israel, Ukraine, and Romania. They have good players and are significantly cheaper than players from any other league. Israel has good youngsters, Radoi and Goian are two good Romanian centerbacks, and Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev have world class players who are willing to come to Ipswich.

For 3.8 (about $8 mil) I think you can get Goian or Radoi or possibly the Dinamo Kiev players. Shakhtar demands higher fees (15-20). However, I would loan a young center back (check Man U/Arsenal reserves) and save up so you're ready to poach the relegated players.

Ok, so here is a small update. Danny Haynes has decided that he needs to move to a bigger club to further his carrer, so he's moving from 9th place ipswich to 17th place boro in a 15m deal. that means that i need to find a new striker. i tried alan smith, but even though i had a 5m bid accepted, he wasnt interested. Ive made an enquiry about nilmar, who my scouts said would be a quality signing, and the he would be interested in joining. any other tips for strikers to replace haynes? cheers

Originally posted by vd_Windt:

Boys how is it possible I only get 1,8 mil to spend ? I've told them I will promote Ipswich

Which patch are you using? i believe that you only get a large amount of money if your using patch 8.02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by vd_Windt:

Boys how is it possible I only get 1,8 mil to spend ? I've told them I will promote Ipswich

Which patch are you using? i believe that you only get a large amount of money if your using patch 8.02 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm using 8.0.2 so it's kind of strange isn't it ?

lots of teams interested in danny haynes and i'm in january, first season, patch 8.0.2

i've got a 16 point lead atm so i won't have any trouble going up, plus i don't play him that much either

any ideas on how much to ask for???

Ipswich are a real good side.

Im having a good season as Everton and was drawn Ipswich in 3rd round of League Cup. They beat me 4-1 (ok I had used 8 of my youth squad but it was still a good result for Ipswich)

Then I was drawn them in 3rd round of FA Cup and almost beat me 2-1 if it wasnt for a last minute goal by Andrew Johnson to bring it to 2-2

In the reply I used my full strenght squad (apart from 2 youth players) and managed to finally beat you guys.

Current date: 24th January 2008

Heres their transfers for you (see if any help)

Jon Harley From Burnley £1m

Jay DeMerit from Watford £3.3m

Patrick Kisnorbo from Leicester £1m

Ricardo Fuller from Stoke £3.1m

Chris Smith from Rangers £20k

And sold

Fabian Wilnis to Leyton Orient £1k

Shane Supple to Tranmere for £350k

Currently 3rd in Championship

Biggest league win 4-1 v Wolves

Biggest league loss (afraid to say) 3-0 Norwich

Ricardo Fuller current leading goalscorer with 14 (10 goals in league, 15th in league)

Hope this gives you a few ideas

• 2 months later...

ok, after a couple of months of silence, i have decided to revive this thread. start of the 1st season, 802, this is my first team squad:

GK: Schemichal

Bywater

DEF: Wright

Hill

DeMerit

Christanval

Sorin

Harding

Bruce

DeVos

Mid: Walters

Sirl

Garvan

Sumi

Kalouda

Karamyan

Noris

Miller

ST: Anichebe

Stancu

Haynes

Counago

i have had a bid accepted and offered a contract to luis jimenez and also bought james mccarthy from hamilton.

i have man u as a parent club, and tom heaton as a 3rd keeper.

i play a 442, what would you say my best starting line up is?

if jimenez comes, ill have £4.8m left, is there anyone else i should sign?

any comments are welcome

if this hasnt been answered sufficiently by 9pm my time (1 hour, 15 mins), ill put this in a new thread, so purefan, hendoc etc., dont complain if i do

hi im at the top of league in my first season so far with 83pts in 36 games with a +46 goal diffference

i tottally changed my team around hoping that by the end of the season they would be able to work as a team but they have adapted VERY quickly

transfers in:

nastja ceh 1.5m good

brian mclean 375k

cristian nasuti 700k good

kamil contofalksy 2m brilliant shot stopper

nengomashe 350k good DM

jan polak 700k good youngster will turn into good premiership player

leandro gioda 1.6m the brick in defence

artavazd karamyan 1m good doesnt play much

arthur orin 55k brilliant signing

rene mihelic 500k the fabregas of the team

bogdan stancu 550k adapting to playing on the wings good players

distel zola 375k good youngster turninginto a good premiership DM

calin cristea 100k good young LB

roberto cuevas 250k didnt fit into team good striker quick player

wanderley 3.5m 37 goals,10 assists, 13 mom 38 appearences 4 of which he came on. rated the next adriano by the press as he is 18. the best buy by far.

havard nordveit loan brilliant young player hopefully arsenal will let me buy him.

tomas frejlach 600k quick good winger being slowly assembled into the team.

cristian sarghi 120k good young RB

amaury bischoff 250k good player gets in some banging goals!

choco 700k good 18 yr old attacking winger and developing well

preston edwards playerexchange good young goalie currently playing for the u18s.

james fowler 250k good DM came in after two DM were injured for a couple of months.

marius niculae 200k brilliant experienced striker with a good shot on him.

rene steer 450k this LB is going to be brilliant.

mariak stech 750k brillian young goalie coming on ocassions to replace 1st team goalie.

pablo piatti 2.7M expensive but brilliant winger with lots of potential.

too many players sold main players such as

jonathan walters, dan harding counago and alot of young players on loan

jordan rhodes is doing brilliantly scoring loads.

Archived