Searched, Searched and Searched...

But I couldnt find it ...

I want my "men" to directly tackle their opponent, i keep seeing them trail back and back before slide in ... I dont want to give my opponent that much space, especially in a counter formation, causing my players to invite the opponent to take a long show (which always go in on 10.2) ...

I was thinking to specify man marking on my formation + tight marking + tackling Hard + high pressing, but then they also press hard on other players, leaving their original marking instruction ...

Thanks in advance!

Closing down comes with the issue that players get lured out of position.

Tight Zonal Marking comes with the issue that players get overloaded in key areas and leave a man free.

Hard Tackling comes with the issue that player miss tackles and get sucked out of the game, or indeed that they get exploited by "Time Wasting" and give away many fouls.

The accurate development of defensive systems is one of the more complex and difficult aspects of FM.

I would suggest that Tight Zonal Marking + Hard Tackling + Low Closing Down will keep your shape and encourage players to instantly tackle those players in their zone. You will then to consider your shape and formation to ensure there are no gaps that can be exploited.

Perhaps Hard Tackling - High Closing Down - Limited Marking for your forwards.

Then Hard Tackling - Medium Closing Down - Tight Zonal Marking for your midfield and advanced players.

Then the final defensive issue being how exactly you wish your defensive line to behave. Tight to player, hard tackling, chase or back-off, avoid being conned and stick together as a group?

For some strange reason, tactically, the words "Back Off" just seem to rub me the wrong way, reminding me of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZmmTmFOQXA

I remember being at that game, shouting from the North Stand.... "Tackle him then Phil... go on, tackle him... TACKLE HIM THEN.... oh bugger..."

Good goal needless to say, but it could have been stopped had someone put in the tackle. Somehow, I think it's the perfect example of what's causing you grief ;)

Complex issue to get right though, and it changes on a game by game basis.

Also changes in game depedning on the AI strategy, e.g.

- where their winger tends to be sitting relative to your FB

- whether they do the old AI 'trick' of swapping MC/ST roles in a 442

Also depends on what people want to do. Some might want their FB dropping back and their own winger being the more likely presser of the opposition winger (or indeed an MC coming across). Others might prefer to press high up the pitch and generally want definitive 1 to 1 mirrored pressing decisions (talking about FM here, obviously there's a bit more to the idea of multiple pressure points in real life but the match engine doesn't quite replicate that in my opinion due to pressing positions, angles and the fact that player vision isn't as stringent as it should be, again in my opinion)

Having said all of that, there are plenty of people having overall success with fairly fixed closing down settings in a plug/play type of tactic. So what the hell do I know :D

• 2 weeks later...

A higher aggression stat should see them 'get stuck' a little more. Not that that helps your with your current team, but for the future signings.....

Archived