Shots, Goals and "soopa keepaz"

Originally posted by Warrenwwr:

what needs investigating , however, is whether or not the user has any control of these tactical variables.

Yes he has to an extent.

Reduce the effect of teamtalks by having a good assman.

Try to have a neutral stance for prematch media reports.

When choosing players make sure that you have the right attributes.

There are others as well...like looking at the scout reports for the opposition before a game.

Originally posted by jeffp:

I think that's the strategy I've stumbled upon, and it seems to be working for my Souhampton squad. I just wanted to check your tactics against the ones I've been playing, can you clarify what you mean by 'low defensive line' - does that mean 'deep'? And 'close mentalities on the individual settings' - does that mean that you set the mentality setting individually for all players (as opposed to on the team setting) and that you keep the team close together so that they don't get too far away from each other? Thanks! Great discussion.

Aye. Through general tweeking and various changes to my approach, I've found a "natural" stance for my team - a comfortable set of settings that would work in most even games or games where I had a slight advantage. I play a defensive line of 6 now (previously 15), a width of the second notch of "wide" (previously much wider) and a "rule of one" mentality scheme as opposed to a "rule of two".

Basically, my defenders have a low mentality, but from my full backs through to my main striker I set individual mentalities which are one notch apart from each other in most cases, from 6 on my defensive midfielder, 7 on my full backs, 8 on my central midfield, 10 on my more attacking CM, 11 on my side strikers and either 12 or 13 on my main striker depending on what seems to work.

However, I also change the team mentality setting to suit the situation. With the close mentalities it seems that this keeps a tight team either in defensive or offensive mode.

For more explanation of what else to do I'd look at Cleon's thread. All of this I got from there.

Can anyone tell me if the reputation of a team, i.e local, national, continental or worldwide infulences how well the opposition keeper performs against your side?

For example, when I use arsenal, eventhough i create many quality chances, goals are scarce. But with my second team Aston Villa, every attack has about a 40% chance of me scoring.

Is this a coincidence or what?

• 2 weeks later...

i'm into my 5th season and i'm still waiting on my goalkeeper to do an AI performance. my goalkeeper is yet to get a man of the match award.every loss is due to the ai goalkeeper getting man of the match and most draws

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

does anyone have a clue how come i stopped completely creating changes at all? first i was doing alright, i had a row of scoring in 17 consequitive games, and plenty of changes... Then, without changing my tactics everything suddenly changed. I got an 5 game losing streak and lost my job with newcastle:o

In my last 3 games i couldn't get more then 1 shot on goal, obviously without scoring. So now i'm sacked and trying to figure out where i went wrong, it has to be down to the tactics rather then the players perfomance.

I tryed playing short passing possession type of play, with a 4-4-2 with strong emphasis on the left flank. I also used a 4-3-3 with a high tempo, direct passing game. I used my central forward as an target man with lower mentality, so to play as an bridge between the attack and the rest of the team. I used either xisco (with targetman passing to head) or owen (with targetman passing to feet) as the targetman. It worked well enough before when i was scoring enough goals and winning adequate amount of games, like also did the first tactic i mentioned, and i had plenty of shots on goal. But then coming january 2009, directly after winning league-leaders arsenal 3-2, my slump started, from which i never recovered from.

So, i'm left wondering how did the tactics that worked well enough before suddenly became totally useless? There's a big difference when you score 3 goals againts arsenal, to not getting a single shot on goal (and only 2 off target!) againts bloody wigan, who where 18nth :confused:

Archived