A 4-2-3-1. Like Efficient Football, And a Mean Defence? Then come on in!

This 4-2-3-1 has been very successful for my Aston Villa team. I have been using it for 3 seasons, In this time it has brought me 3 league titles, 3 FA Cups and 2 CL’s. For the past 2 seasons I have won the treble. Using this tactic I have never finished with less than 90 points. In my latest season I broke the 100 point barrier. Admittedly this has been with a good squad, however, I feel especially in my first season using it (2015/2016) I exceeded my players regular capability.

It is based on a very simple concept: efficiency. If you’re solid at the back and can dominate the midfield, you will do well. This tactic is not a goal scoring monster, although it scores well enough. It’s main asset is the defence. In my 3 seasons using it I have conceded 22 goals, 19 goals and 15 goals in the EPL.

Another indicator of efficiency is that last season, 5 of the top 7 pass completion rates belonged to my players. This is probably because of the amount of triangles within the formation.

I like the formations versatility. It can be very attacking, or very defensive, you can play with out and out wingers, or inside forwards, you can play with a ball playing AMC or a auxiliary forward AMC., you can play with 2 DM’s or 2 CM’s.

The tactic was made using the wizard, For the most part I use the pre set instructions, although I may tweak in game.

Player Roles:

GK: Set to GK Defend

RB/LB: Set to Wing Back Automatic

CB‘s: Set to CB Defend

LDM/LCM: Set to DM/CM Defend

RDM/RCM: Set to DM/CM Support

AMR/AML: Set to Winger Attack

AMC: Set to Attacking Midfielder Support

ST: Complete Forward Attack

The most important player on the pitch is the striker, the rest don’t really require much apart from the usual. The Striker needs to be decent in all areas and needs to excel in at least one. I’m quite lucky in this case, I have Abel Hernandez (Palermo) who has developed excellently and is a very good all round player, and I also have a Turkish newgen who is pretty much the best striker I have ever seen on FM, apart from his “weak” left foot. Overall I would say that the strikers skills on the floor (finishing, composure, OTB, pace, acceleration, passing, strength) are more important than his aerial ones, although jumping and heading are very useful.

One other thing I would say, is make sure your defensive minded CM/DM has decent passing and creativity relative to his level, he will steal the ball in midfield a lot and be responsible for starting counter attacks, which are a big source of goals for this tactic.

On the note of CM/DM, I prefer to play CM’s mostly (although the uploaded tactic has DM’s from my CL Final). I will play DM’s however, if the opponent goes centre strong (think Chelsea narrow 4-1-2-1-2) if they match the 4-2-3-1 with CM’s or if they have a particularly good frontline who are good on the floor.

One tweak I do make, is when you play any of the 3 “neutral” strategies, wing backs through balls are set at often. This is no problem usually, but if you have players here with poor passing/creativity attribute, or find that they give the ball away a lot, tone this down to mixed.

I do not use OI’s. I have set my tactic up in this manner for a reason, I don’t want to break the structure by focusing on single players.

Note that this is not a wonder tactic, it is just something that has worked for my team that I thought I’d share. I have only provided a basic formation and instructions. It is up to you to apply the touchline instructions, strategies etc based on match situation and players, in order to experience success.

Download Link: Aston Villa 4-2-3-1

Thanks, it was originally made on 10.1.1 (first half of the first season using it) It has carried over nicely to 10.2, in fact, it is probably better on 10.2 It scores a bit less, but is also far better at the back.

Ok thanks for the reply. I'm about to start a new game on 10.2, i will give this tactic a try.

I will post my results.

You had about 60% possesion, but no shots? Hmm. Which wizard strategy were you using? If I was dominating so much, I would have gone up a strategy or two, and maybe added in a shout like pass into space/exploit the flanks. You may be right, it might not be for lower teams, but the fact you had 60% possesion hints that there maybe some potential there.

Also was your squad well gelled? I found that new signings, paticularly in the CM/AM/ST positions disrupted the tactic somewhat.

The tactic "clicked" straight away for me, however, with lower quality players it may take some extra bedding in time.

Decided to go with Sheff Wed, had a good preseason but i have learnt not to count preseason as anything.

Sheff Wed who are predicted 12th and have 0 to spend and a wage budget of 87 and they are already spending 85k ish on wages.

So my only signing as been Sol Campbell on a free transfer, anyway after some good friendly results, here are my league results:

Middlesbrough Home Won 2-1,

Went 1-0 down then made it 1-1 and absoutly dominated possesion and shots but could not score untill they were sent down to 10 men in the 82min and we got a winner in the 94th min. More than we deserved a game we fully deserved to win. Had 57% possesion 12 shots 9 on target 4 clear cut chances, they had 4 shots 1 on target and 2 clear cut chacnes.

Newcastle Away (League Cup 1st Round) 2-2 AET won 4-2 on penatlys.

Went 1-0 down in the first half made it 1-1 in the 2nd half, then went 2-1 down in extra time but made it 2-2. Newcastle missed 2 penatlys and we scored all 4 of ours. Checked the match stats afterwards and Newcastle had 23 shots 10 on target and 53% possesion and we had 11 shots 9 on target. BUT we had 5 clear cut chances and they only had 2.

Coventry Away won 4-1,

Another game i went 1-0 down in but turned it around and was 3-1 up at half time, we dominated this game 57% possesion 26 shots 14 on target 5 clear cut chances.

So far so good. :thup:

Nidzumi 1 game is hard to tell wether a tactic is good or not, your team needs time to get used to a new tactic especially if you change it mid-season. But i reckon if you give this tactic 10 games or so i reckon this tactic good be a good one.

Couple more results.

Crystal Palace Away won 4-0,

2 goals in either half a game we dominated. 3 of the goals came from one touch passing moves where we ripped them wide open. We had 57% possesion 24 shots 16 on target 5 clear cut chances.

Sheff Utd Home Drew 0-0,

A fierce derby match, heading into this game with our recent run of form i was feeling quietly confident of a win. But form books go out of the window in derby matches.

1st half we couldn't get out of our own half, they were camped in our half and pushed us back. We picked up alot of knocks and had 2 injuries but i think that is to do with Sheff Utd's kick you in the shins style of football.

2nd half we were better, we were not pushed back as much but still we never really created any chances, and our passing was sloppy we gave the ball away in the middle and final 3rd lots.

Our crisp one touch passing that we had against Palace seem to vanish in this game, But again i think that is something to do with the style of football Sheff Utd played. 0-0 against a team precited 3rd is not a bad result at all. We had 50% possesion 14 shots 6 on target 1 clear cut chance, Which i must have mised the clear cut chance. ;)

So far im impressed with this tactic, with only 1 signing. Plus the one touch passing at times is a joy to watch. :thup:

In my first season, I didn't actually use this tactic I played a 4-4-2, but the players Villa have at the start should fit in well. The board sold A. Young to Madrid over my head for £35 Million, so I brought in Di Maria and Cardozo. 9 seasons on, Di Maria is still my starting left winger, and performing as excellently as ever. Cardozo was my top scorer for 4 seasons before I let him go to Marseille in his older age.

Carlisle Home Won 2-1 (League Cup 2nd Round),

Rested a few players in this one, well what players i could rest because we have a small squad of players. This was a game in which we were slow to get going, well infact never really got going to be honest.

We finally took the lead in the 62nd min thanks to a penatly and even that could not get us going untill. Stoppage time at the end was the best/ most hectic part of the match, we scored on a counter attack in the 91st min to make it 2-0 and straight from the kick off Carlise scored in the 92nd min, then went 4-2-4 and came at us for the last minute or so. But despite the scare we held on.

Not one of our best performance by any means, but i did use alot of fringe players who were not used to playing with each other.

We had 44% possesion 7 shots, 1 on target, 1 clear cut chance, Carlisle had 8 shots, 2 on target, 2 clear cut chances. Just glad to be through t the next round, whilst giving my key players a rest intime for the next league game.

Liecester Away Drew 1-1,

A game where we had some nice passing moves at times, we fell behind to a penatly in the 60th min but we managed to grab a equalizer in the 91st min to earn a point. Was a pretty even game but we did do some nice passing in the 1st haf. We had 48% possesion 10 shots, 3 on target, 1 clear cut chance. Liecester had 7 shots, 3 on target, 1 clear cut chance.

Barnsley Home Won 3-0,

Nice big win at home against a team bottom without a win, dominated the game from the first minute. Was 0-0 at half time but 3 goals from each one of my 3 attacking midfielders, including a curling beuaty in to the top corner from my left attacking midfielder. Had 62% possesion 14 shots, 8 on target, 6 clear cut chances.

I have no doubt if i had better players we would have won this by more goals.

West Brom Away Lost 4-1,

Brought back down to earth with out 1st defeat of the season. Funny thing is, it was harsh on us and we did not deserve 4-1, The scoreline it flattered West Brom who were 2nd best for large parts. 2 of their goals were penatlys and another goal was a long range pile driver which was unstoppable. We did manage to get a goal we deserved late on to make it 3-1 but they got a penatly in the 88th min after we were looking dangerous going forward. But i guess we got we deserved with moments of poor concentration from defenders in taking down players in the box and i guess we could have closed Chris Brunt down for his long range goal but i doubt it would have made a difference cause he hit that well.

We had 56% possesion 11 shots, 6 on target, 3 clear cut chances. West Brom had 11 shots, 2 on target, 1 clear cut chance.

Derby Home Drew 0-0,

Game in which we were the only team doing much. Derby came & played 4-5-1 and got what that they came for. Tudgay was injured and we missed him up front. Played lovely football again at times but was poor at in the final 3rd of the pitch. We had 67% possesion 9 shots 1 on target and 3 clear cut chances. Derby had 2 shots 1 on target , 0 clear cut chances, Horrible stuff from them.

Overall im pleased with a clean sheet never looked like loosing and with more clinical players upfront, we could have gone on to win this easily.

Tactic is solid and you can see with the passing and football it plays, that with a top team with top players this could be a very good tactic.

Nice results there for the most part, pleased to see it's doing well for you :thup: Defence looks pretty good apart from the WBA game. Suprisingly, I find that playing with two CM's rather than DM's leads to a better defence, and two DM's often leads to better attacking. I think this maybe because having 2 CM's compacts the midfield more, especially when using one of the attack minded tactics which have pushed up defensive lines, where as the 2 DM's leaves a pretty big gap through the middle allowing more time on the ball for both yourself and the opponent.

Just a note, when looking to preserve a lead, I'll change the shape where the midfield is pulled back one position, so CM's become DM's and AML/C/R become MC/L/R etc.

Hi Azza, sorry I missed your post yesterday, here's a link to the thread: Tug's Traning 2010

Happy Gaming :)

312 downloads, doing quite well it seems, anyone else got any feedback?

Thanks for that. Have been using your tactic with pretty good results so far. Took over Roma mid way thru season and took them from 10th to 3rd. I have noticed i tend to struggle against big teams. Any ideas?

Archived