Why is FM not using the full processor and RAM capabilities?

Hi,

I am running England down to tier 10 and a small database and the game is really slow. I have a quad-core processor and 3GB RAM but the game onlu utilizes 25% CPU and 1.5 GB RAM. Why is this?

Dont know thats strange, mine is a dual-core 2ghz with 2GB RAM (ain't upgraded PC at all) and I'm running England, France, Germany, Italy, Scotland, Spain, Holland, Portugal, and Belgium top 2 or 3 leagues in all and they are running fine. Results processing takes minute or 2 tops.

The 1.5GB RAM may depend on your OS (operating system) if you're using Vista then that explains it cause vista is a greedy OS so half of your 3GB is being used just to run Vista tidy. I'm using Windows 7 which uses less than Vista, tbh though I'd say XP would be best to use as it uses less system resources, in other words it'd probably use more like 2.5 rather than 1.5GB RAM. The CPU only being used 25% is very strange, however I do believe that a lot of games are dual core optimized, only things like Call of Duty would use all 4 cores.

Try settings the priority of the process to highest or realtime, that should make the machine allocate more resources to it - it will never allocate it 3gb and 100% CPU though, as it still has to run the OS, other background processes, and reserve some as Windows always does.

Hi,

I am running England down to tier 10 and a small database and the game is really slow. I have a quad-core processor and 3GB RAM but the game onlu utilizes 25% CPU and 1.5 GB RAM. Why is this?

Try settings the priority of the process to highest or realtime, that should make the machine allocate more resources to it - it will never allocate it 3gb and 100% CPU though, as it still has to run the OS, other background processes, and reserve some as Windows always does.

Aye lol similar to what I said in more sense though :D cheers

The operating system and the game decides what get put where with respect to RAM. It is about efficiency of use etc. etc. Saying it isn't using all of your physical memory does not necessarily mean it is not running as efficiently as possible (before a tech head says it I'm fully aware of the concept of optimisation and that it may be an issue with FM).

This may be complete BS but would it be wrong to suggest the game is not taking advantage of all of your cores, hence the 25% value? Try going to Preferences > General, tick the Threading box, hit confirm and see if that helps.

In terms of game speed, unless you are ultra hardcore crazy then try decreasing the detail level for leagues you are not involved in. This will speed up the calculation of match results significantly. The trade off is accuracy, and whether or not no detail leagues do a good job of simulating is dependent on your playing style/viewpoint.

i think its because FM is a 32 bit program so it has boundaries on how much resources it can use. if im correct a 32 bit program can only use a maximum of 2gig ram. not sure as to your processors but i think its along the same lines as the ram. it can only utilize a certain amount of the processor. until the game is made to run in 64bit it wont use your computer to its full spec. hope this helps

Archived