[FM10] Crazy Canuck on Global Managerial Tour: Life Outside the Lower Leagues

rancer890

Zenit St. Petersburg

Russkij Prem'er Liga

Media Prediction: 2nd

Finishing Position: 1st

Kubok Rossii: In Quarter-Final vs CSKA Moscow

Superkubok Rossii: lost to Spartak Moscow 4-2

Champions League (2014-2015): lost to Real Madrid in 1st Knockout Round (1-6 aggregate)

Europa League (2015-2016): 1st in Group F

Squad

Squad 1

Squad 2

A very good squad overall. The previous squad was very good, but had too many foreigners. I signed several Russians and now the squad is more balanced (52% Russians/48% foreigners).

Starting XI (by just talent, and not foreigners)

GK - Vyacheslav Malafeev

DR - Mikael Lustig

DC - Danny Morais

DC - Naji Darwish

DL - Gia Grigalava / Diego Contento

DM - Vladimir Mustafin

MC - Etienne Capoue

MC - Jose Gerardo Quintana

MC - Willians

ST - Oscar Cardozo

ST -

Youngsters

DR - Dmitry Ivanov

DC - Artem Merkulov

DC - Yury Kornev

AML/ST - Vyacheslav Sidorov

ST - Victor Mostovoy

ST - Manuel Parra

Transfers

Transfers

Future Transfers

A very exciting future transfer is the capture of Manuel Neuer. This means that my Brazilian GK is probably leaving the club in January. It's usually not recommended to have a foreign GK in a league with foreign restrictions in the starting XI, but Neuer is just way too talented.

Finances

Finances

Club Information

Overview

Facilities

Affiliations

Goals for 2016

• repeat as domestic Champions
  • with the Kubok and Superkubok
  • at least get to Quarter-Final of Europa League
  • get depth at left back and right back (preferably more Russians)

EDIT: In job related news, Internacional were willing to pay Zenit $1.6 million so I can manage them. It took me around...10 seconds to reject that offer. I have no interest in managing in Brazil. :)

I'm World Class now btw. :D

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy Canuck Youth Player Project

2011 Intake:

Anthony Boytchuk - ST (USA/Canada)

Left Foot - Reasonable

Right Foot - Very Strong

PPMs - Places Shots (2012), Plays Short Simple Passes (2013), Plays no Through Balls (2014)

Initial Profile

End of Season 1 - Profile

End of Season 2 - Profile

End of Season 3 - Profile

End of Season 4 - Profile

[font=Courier New]Year     Club      League    Games     Goals     Assists   MoM    Rating
2012     New York     MLS  18 (21)         5           9     1      6.84
2013     New York     MLS  17 (16)        12           6     3      7.15
2014     New York     MLS  20 (24)        16           8     3      7.11
2015     New York     MLS  29 (4)         17           0     4      6.93
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals                     84 (65)        50          23    11      [/font]

Player Info - A very good season in his first year as a starter. I can see him scoring 20 goals in 2016. He's also doing well for the USMNT and in Dominic Kinnear's plans.

Awards:

Aaron Comer - DR/DL (USA)

Left Foot - Very Strong

Right Foot - Reasonable

PPMs - none

Initial Profile

End of Season 4 - Profile

[font=Courier New]Year     Club      League    Games     Goals     Assists   MoM    Rating[/font][font=Courier New]
2012     New York     MLS   6 (14)         0           1     0      6.90
2013     Portland   USL-1       0          0           0     0      -.--
2014     Portland   USL-1       0          0           0     0      -.--
2015     Charleston USL-1       0          0           0     0      -.--
Totals                      6 (14)         0           1     0      6.90[/font]

Player Info - Really hopes he can get to the MLS someday...

2012 Intake:

Paul Fox - AML/ML (USA/German)

Left Foot - Very Strong

Right Foot - Reasonable

PPMs - none

Intial Profile

[font=Courier New]Year     Club      League    Games     Goals     Assists   MoM    Rating
2013     New York     MLS   0 (23)         0           3     0      6.73
2014     New York     MLS   2 (15)         0           2     0      6.82
2015     Kansas City  MLS  29 (2)          0           3     0      6.65
Totals                     31 (40)         0           8     0      [/font]

Player Info - Traded to Kansas City for another youngster and Draft Pick, Fox was a starter with the Wizards. He had a solid year with them.

2014 Intake:

Yury Kornev - DC (Russian)

Left Foot - Reasonable

Right Foot - Very Strong

PPMs - None

Initial Profile

[font=Courier New]Year     Club          League    Games    Goals     Assists   MoM    Rating
2015     Zenit   Prem'er Liga    10 (5)       0           0     0      6.79
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Totals                           10 (5)       0           0     0      [/font]

Player Info - A very good first season, although he mainly played Reserves games near the end of the season because of several signings in the summer. I'll still want to play him in league games to aid him in his development.

2015 Intake:

Sergey Zakharov - DC (Russian)

Left Foot - Fairly Strong

Right Foot - Very Strong

PPMs - None

Initial Profile

Player Info - He looks better than Kornev...he has the right attributes to be a successful centre back at Zenit.

In other news, my intake also had another Canadian striker...he's crap though. It's usually Russians immigrating to Canada, not the only way around. :D

And I realize all my youth intakes are good with both feet...

Congrats on the tilte rancer! :thup: You must have been kicking yourself when Spartak finally lost and you only drew - but then they crumbled and you didn't which is what counts. ;)

Good luck with turning them into a European powerhouse. :)

Cheers DodgeeD. I certainly was after wondering if this wouldn't be the year. But after seeing Spartak falter in the last month we were going to win the league title as long as we didn't implode as well. :D

As for being a European powerhouse...I'll see. Since I'm already World Class I can go to a lot of big clubs. I certainly want to stay in Russia to at least fulfill my contract. If some people don't know, but I usually like managing the big clubs in the smaller leagues (like Ajax/PSV in Eredivisie, Celtic/Rangers in SPL, and now Zenit where Spartak seems to be my only rival). The only non-big club I would like to manage are Everton, Leeds, Hoffenheim, TFC and all the clubs I've managed in CSE (Rizhiquan, Real Oviedo, Persma if they ever become competitive). I really only want to manage teams with the financial resources to compete. I'm certainly enjoying Russia so far and want to take Zenit to European glory during my stay. :D

Top work rancer hunting down Spartak like that :thup:. That's a fantastic trophy to win and will no doubt announce your name around Europe! Getting Neuer is amazing enough, but on a free! What idiot let his contract run down!?

KUTGW

Schalke. Not sure why they let him on a free and even more surprised no one tried to sign him for 6 months. I found him through Backroom Advice. When the transfer story got leaked I was thinking I was going to lose out on a signing again but no one else offered a bid so Neuer is going to backstop Zenit to domestic and European glory. :D

He's on $4 million wages with hefty performance clauses though so I might think of selling another player or two. I've set some player values so if someone bids at that price I'm selling. Mikael Lustig and Diego Contento are the ones likely to be sold because Lustig won't renew his contract and teams have been sniffing for Contento's services and I can get a high fee for him. I plan to utilize my youths more, and retrain both of them to be adequate at LB and RB. :)

Well done on the title Rancer.

Enjoying this. It's a really interesting read for me as you've been managing in leagues that I haven't played in before. The only trouble is that you are making me want to start some new saves. :D

Will be having a go at your Asian challenge at some point, by the way, most likely in India I would think. :thup:

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Cheers Crouchy. Glad you're enjoying this. I'm having a great time with this career game, even though I regret not loading a couple leagues (France and S. Korea). I've managed enough years in China and MLS to understand the ins and outs of the leagues, and I've also manage in the Russian lower leagues, so the Prem'er Liga is actually a bit easier for me because I can have more foreigners in the starting XI.

Nice to see you having a go at my challenge. Not many forumers have done much in India (with exception of ShootTheRunner). :D

In other news, one of the 3 young Russian GKs at my club is complaining that I'm not letting him move to a bigger club (Sevilla). You're 4th on my depth chart. Stop complaining. :rolleyes:

I've expanded my scouting network in Asia, North America, Europe by signing a HK scout, an Indonesian scout, a Spanish scout (no other than the amazing Guti! :D). I also signed a very young and talented Russian left back from Genclerbirligi, Anatoly Moskalenko, who will join the club on July 1st. Hopefully this is the first of several transfers. :)

2016 Zenit Off-season

The off-season at Zenit has been productive, although missing a couple transfer targets was a bit disappointing, but overall been pretty good.

The signings of Victor Mostovoy and Manuel Neuer strengthen the squad even further to compete in Russia and Europe.

I also signed some new staff members: Conor Casey as a coach with the view of him becoming my Ass Man; Guti, the long time Real Madrid midfielder (who got sold to Sevilla for $1.9 mil but never played for them) previously scouted for Spanish lower league outfit Pena Sport; Yeung Chi Wai, who previously scouted for Fukien; and Hamid Setiawan, signed from PSP, to help scout Indonesians.

After another Brazilian signing by the previous signing (a WB too, and can't play any other position...), and the signing of youngster Nikolay Trusov from FC Moscow for $9k + clauses.

Leaving the club include 4 Brazilians striker and GK Andre Zuba who was expendable because of the Neuer signing.

Transfers

I have also secured the transfers of two players who will join the club July 1: Glenn Binks, with potential to be a leading Prem'er Liga player; and Anatoly Moskalenko to provide more Russian depth.

The transfer window ends March 12th but I don't see myself signing anyone else. First update will be a February/March update. :thup:

Congrats on the title rancer :thup:. Looks like your front two fired you to the title, that's an impressive strike force and return of goals.

A great few signings too, especially Neuer :eek:. It seems you're becoming a talent at finding players; good to see Boytchuk still progressing well in the states.

So, domestic domination is on the cards...how far from European domination do you think you are? Europa League maybe?

Congrats on the title rancer :thup:. Looks like your front two fired you to the title, that's an impressive strike force and return of goals.

A great few signings too, especially Neuer :eek:. It seems you're becoming a talent at finding players; good to see Boytchuk still progressing well in the states.

So, domestic domination is on the cards...how far from European domination do you think you are? Europa League maybe?

Cheers Raware. The Cardozo-Jo strike force is a luxury to have. :D

Although some clubs are interested to both, and if I get a $20 million+ bid for Cardozo I will sell him because he's already 33. I am less inclined to sell Jo just because he has Russian nationality, and I don't want to sell my Russians.

And the Neuer signing...a bit of luck too that no one else wanted him. As for finding talent, I rely on scouts and Backroom Advice. I do use Player Search, but mostly to find players and staff on a free/expiring contract.

European domination? Champions League is near impossible, but it's definitely possible to win Europa League, judging by real life results. :D Although I see that more 'big clubs' are entering Europa League so it will be tough to win.

Awesome work winning the title! To have just one defeat all season in the Russian league is a pretty impressive feat! And overhauling Spartak was a great achievement. :thup:

What do you think the chances are of a repeat performance next season? How long do you see yourself staying at Zenit for?

Awesome work winning the title! To have just one defeat all season in the Russian league is a pretty impressive feat! And overhauling Spartak was a great achievement. :thup:

What do you think the chances are of a repeat performance next season? How long do you see yourself staying at Zenit for?

Cheers iseemonsters. My expectation is to win the treble (league, cup, supercup), and get to the First Knockout Round of Champions League/Quarter-Final of Europa league. I won the league so I automatically get to the Champions League Group Stage. :thup:

We definitely have what it takes for a repeat performance.

I basically plan to stay at Zenit until a big club comes. I'm already competing in Europe on a yearly basis and I don't want to change that. :)

Sorry West Brom. You're not a big club. :D

Zenit St. Petersburg

February 2016

18th: at Athletic - Europa League 1st Knockout Rnd Leg 1 - W 2-0 - Jo, Jose Gerardo Quintana

25th: vs Athletic - Europa League 1st Knockout Rnd Leg 2 - L 0-1

A solid couple games against Athletic. They seemed to have more control over the 2 games but we manage to just get enough goals to advance to the 2nd Knockout Round against Palermo.

March 2016

5th: vs Spartak Moscow - Superkobok Final - D 0-0 (win 4-3 on pens)

Another trophy with Zenit. We dominated but we just couldn't score. Thankfully we did well in the shootout.

10th: vs Palermo - Europa League 2nd Knockout Rnd Leg 1 - L 0-1

A disappointing match as we had plenty of chances, but Palermo scored just before half-time to win the first leg. We need to win at Palermo.

12th: vs Krasnodar - Prem'er Liga - W 4-1

A hat-trick by Jo gives a good start to the Prem'er Liga season against newly promoted Krasnodar.

17th: at Palermo - Europa League 2nd Knockout Rnd Leg 2 - D 0-0

I did everything I could, but we couldn't score the goal we needed.

19th: at Anzhi- Prem'er Liga - W 2-0 - Willians, Danny Morais

Another solid match as 2 goals in the first 30 minutes is good enough for the win.

26th: vs CSKA Moscow - W 3-1 - Jo (2), Oscar Cardozo

In our first match against a title contender, my striker duo account for all 3 goals as we defeat CSKA.

Standings

A solid start to the season. A bit disappointed with Europe, but we were just starting the season so we were disadvantaged at the start...we face Spartak next month so it would be nice to win against our fierce rivals.

Indonesia

February 2016

at North Korea - WCQ 3rd Rnd Group 3 - D 1-1

A solid match as we score in the 83rd minute to salvage a point against a tough North Korean squad.

March 2016

23rd: vs Syria - WCQ 3rd Rnd Group 3 - W 4-0

A solid win as we restricted Syria's chances and managed to get several goals ourselves.

WCQ Standings

Indonesia U23's

February 2016

24th: at Japan - AFC Final Round Group C - L 0-1

March 2016

9th: vs UAE - AFC Final Round Group C - W 2-1

16th: vs Vietnam - AFC Final Round Group C - W 1-0

Solid 3 matches for the Indonesian U23's. We had no chance against Japan, but the 2 home games against UAE and Vietnam were very lucky. We have 1 home game and 2 away games though. It's far from over.

Olympics Qualifying Standings

A busy month for you there rancer! Unlucky with the Europa League but I guess it must be hard coming off pre-season and into that.

Looking good for Indonesia in WCQ but very tight in the Olympic qualifiers. How do you rate your chances?

A busy month for you there rancer! Unlucky with the Europa League but I guess it must be hard coming off pre-season and into that.

Looking good for Indonesia in WCQ but very tight in the Olympic qualifiers. How do you rate your chances?

Cheers DodgeeD.

Not very high? :D

We have to deal with possibly with the likes of Saudi Arabia, Japan, South Korea, Australia, China. If we win the playoff in the Final Round we will probably go against New Zealand where there is a chance to win that one...

Regardless I have to get to the Final Round first! :D

Zenit St. Petersburg

April 2016

3rd: at Spartak Nalchik - Prem'er Liga - W 7-2

Just a dominant win with 6 different goal-scorers.

9th: vs Spartak Moscow - Prem'er Liga - W 3-1 - Oscar Cardozo, Danny Morais, Jose Gerardo Quintana

Another solid effort against our main championship rivals. A big, big win.

13th: vs CSKA Moscow - Kubok Rossil Qtr Final - W 1-0 - Mikael Lustig

The only goal this game was a long shot by Lustig from just outside the box, rifled into the top corner of the net. Semi-Final at Spartak.

16th: at Locomotiv Moscow - Prem'er Liga - W 4-0 - Jo (3), Artem Merkulov

With Locomotiv having a bad start to the season, it took a while to score (well 20 minutes :p) but Jo got his hat-trick after 62 minutes and Merkulov scored from a chaotic corner and we bag another 3 points.

23rd: at Shinnik - Prem'er Liga - W 2-0 - Vladimir Mustafin, Etienne Capoue

Another solid effort by the lads as we win another one.

Standings

Good start to the season but still a long way to go. 6 games in May (5 league matches) so we will be tested to maintain this current form.

Indonesia U23's

6th: vs Japan - AFC Final Round - D 1-1

20th: at UAE - AFC Final Round - L 0-1

AFC Final Round

We're officially eliminated from winning the group (since the last game is Japan vs UAE) but it was a solid run and we will be contenders for the next Olympics AFC Qualifiers.

Zenit St. Petersburg

May 2016

1st: vs Luch - Prem'er Liga - W 2-1 - Diego Contento (2)

5th: at Spartak Moscow - Prem'er Liga - D 2-2 (win 5-4 on pens)

8th: at Volga NN - Prem'er Liga - D 1-1 - Jo

14th: vs Rubin - Prem'er Liga - W 4-0

21st: at Dinamo Moscow - Prem'er Liga - W 1-0 - Mikael Lustig

25th: vs FC Moscow - Prem'er Liga - W 1-0

29th: vs Kuban - Kubok Rossil Final - W 2-1

A solid month, if you want to exclude the Volga game...I struggle against them. :( But I did get trophy #2 this year (:D) No games until July, not sure why, but there are European Championships starting mid-June.

Standings

In other news, I found out that Vladimir Mustafin is a wonderkid. I seem to be getting better at finding talent. :D

Indonesia

28th: vs Australia - AFC WCQ 3rd Rnd Grp 3 - L 0-2

The Aussies completely dominated the game...not very helpful when my key players were injured. We really need some depth to compete with the better Asian sides.

WC Qualifying 3rd Round

Indonesia U23's

4th: at Vietnam - AFC Final Round - W 3-0

A solid result against Vietnam as we don't win the group to go to the Olympics, but the future of Indonesian football is improving and we will contend for the next Olympics.

AFC Final Round

2016 European Championships (Hosts: Russia)

I think I now know why we have such a long break... :D

Group A

Ukraine

Croatia

Spain

Italy

Group B

Turkey

Netherlands

Sweden

Portugal

Group C

Russia

Belgium

Greece

England

Group D

Romania

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Germany

France

I'll be supporting Russia in this one. :D

Predictions? :)

Indonesia

June 2016

8th: at Syria - ACQ 3rd Rnd Group 3 - L 0-1

A disappointing loss. I did expect a little bit more...we have to win against Australia.

19th: at Australia - ACQ 3rd Rnd Group 3 - W 3-2

A shocker. I'm speechless...Syria defeated North Korea so we had to win this game...and we did. :eek: PKM can be downloaded here. :)

WCQ AFC Third Round

Final Group

Good thing Japan aren't in our group. I don't have any expectations. Making the 2018 World Cup (held in Spain) will be a win for Indonesian football. :)

2016 European Championship

Group Stage

[font=Courier New]| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |
[/font][font=Courier New]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
[/font][font=Courier New]| 1st | Q | Italy | | 3 | 3 | 0 | 0 | 10 | 1 | +9 | 9 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
[/font][font=Courier New]| 2nd | Q | Croatia | | 3 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 6 | 7 | -1 | 6 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 3rd | | Spain | | 3 | 1 | 0 | 2 | 4 | 8 | -4 | 3 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 4th | | Ukraine | | 3 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 3 | 7 | -4 | 0 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| | | | | | | | | | | | |

[/font][font=Courier New]| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |
[/font][font=Courier New]| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
[/font][font=Courier New]| 1st | Q | Portugal | | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 7 | 4 | +3 | 7 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
[/font][font=Courier New]| 2nd | Q | Sweden | | 3 | 2 | 0 | 1 | 6 | 3 | +3 | 6 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 3rd | | Turkey | | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 3 | 0 | 4 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 4th | | Netherlands | | 3 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 1 | 7 | -6 | 0 |

[/font][font=Courier New]| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 1st | Q | England | | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 8 | 5 | +3 | 7 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 2nd | Q | Greece | | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 6 | 6 | 0 | 4 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 3rd | | Belgium | | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 5 | 5 | 0 | 4 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 4th | | Russia | | 3 | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 6 | -3 | 1 |

[/font][font=Courier New]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
[/font][font=Courier New]| 1st | Q | France | | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 3 | 1 | +2 | 7 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
[/font][font=Courier New]| 2nd | Q | Romania | | 3 | 1 | 2 | 0 | 5 | 3 | +2 | 5 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 3rd | | Germany | | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 3 | 2 | +1 | 4 |
[/font][font=Courier New]| 4th | | Bosnia & Herzegovina | | 3 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 1 | 6 | -5 | 0 |

[/font]

Quarter-Final

Italy 3-0 Sweden

Portugal 1-2 Croatia

Romania 0-2 England

Greece 1-2 France

Semi-Final

Italy 0-1 France

Croatia 2-2 (p) England

Final

France 4-0 England

A shocker in the Group Stage. Spain (4th in WR), Netherlands (14th) fail to win a single game, and Germany (8th) all fail to advance from the Group Stage. Russia finish bottom as well. A min-upset of sorts in the Quarter-Final as Croatia defeat Portugal with a goal by Eduardo in the 79th minute.

In the Semi-Finals, France defeat Italy in the Semis with a goal by Lassana Diarra in the 75th minute. England also manage to overcome their woes in the penalty shootout, although they were lucky to even get to the shootout considering Croatia scored an own goal in the 87th minute.

In the final, England just couldn't handle France. The French dominated from start to finish to win the European Championship.

Really tough Final Group for the WC Qualifiers rancer, though I suppose that was always going to be the case once you get this far.

Cheers iacovone. I know it is going to be tough, but I was quite relieved we got Australia instead of Japan. As long as we don't embarrass ourselves I'll be pleased with the lads. :)

Zenit St. Petersburg

July 2016

13th: at Torpedo Vladimir - Kubok Rossil 6th Rnd - W 2-0 - Vyacheslav Sidorov, Danny Morais

We played some youths in this game and pleased with getting the 'W'.

16th: at Kuban - Prem'er Liga - D 0-0

We have plenty of chances, but we couldn't score on any of them.

24th: vs Khimki - Prem'er Liga - W 2-0 - Artem Merkulov, Etienne Capoue

Two first half goals by us lead to victory. Considering the way we dominated, we had to win this one...

31st: at Ural - Prem'er Liga - W 2-1 - Vladimir Bystrov, Jo

I had thought we would lose points again, but Jo scored the winner in the 58th minute, after Ural tied the game up 5 minutes earlier.

Standings

We just have to keep winning. Spartak are now only 3 points behind. The big match won't be until September though, at Spartak.

Team of the Month - Manuel Neuer, Mikael Lustig, Artem Merkulov, Etienne Capoue, Jo

Looks like it's going to be another nail-biter between you and Spartak! At least this time around you have the points advantage rather than trying to come from behind... :thup: Will you be playing for the win when you go to Spartak, or will you be happy with a draw?

I always play for the win, and this one is no different. Although a draw would be good enough to win the H2H matchup with them this season in the case of the need for tiebreakers.

But of course I would go for the win, as former NFL coach Herm Edwards would say:

"We play to win the game!" :D:D:D

Looking good at the halfway stage :thup:. I'm surprised though at how off the pace CSKA are :eek:. Any reason for this?

CSKA haven't been active in the transfer as Spartak and my club have been. Even Dinamo have spent more money than CSKA...

Although the league was very exciting in 2012 and 2013, but it's now a two horse race these days. :D

Zenit St. Petersburg

2016 Summer Transfers

Transfers

Players In:

We didn't spend a lot (~$1.4 million) but I think I made 5 very solid signings. Moskalenko, Binks, and Pulido will all improve the back after the departures of Mikael Lustig and Gia Grigalava.

I'm not trying to sell my stars, but they were unsettled and wanted a move, so I granted them their wish. Time will tell if I made the right decision in selling solid players and bringing in some young players.

August 2016

3rd: vs Avangard Kursk - Kobuk Rossil 7th Rnd - W 2-1 - Willians, Antonio Candreva

Another close win as we avoid a possible upset.

6th: at Krasnodar - Prem'er Liga - W 2-0 - Victor Mostovoy (2)

Mostovoy scores 2 goals just before half-time in a solid win while fielding my youngsters.

13th: vs Anzhi - Prem'er Liga - W 1-0 - Antonio Candreva

Probably the most dominant win I've managed, with 73% possession...although we only win by 1. I wish I can score more goals but 3 points is most important.

20th: at CSKA Moscow - Prem'er Liga - W 2-1 - Etienne Capoue, Danny Morais

An even game with the game winner being a penalty kick which Morais made no mistake on.

28th: vs Spartak Nalchik - Prem'er Liga - W 4-1 - Diego Contento, Jo, Victor Mostovoy

Mostovoy is making the most of his first-team opportunities. Another two goals from the lad and he's staying in the starting XI, relegating Cardozo to the bench.

Standings

Big game next month. Spartak Moscow vs Zenit might decide the season.

Champions League

Not a bad group. Juve, Galatasaray, and Club Brugge will all be tough though...We'll see what happens in the Group Stage.

The 2013 season looks like it was an exciting one! I'm sure you'd prefer a one horse race with Zenit in pole position though! :D

Very true. :D

But tbh, it's a bit disappointing that Russian clubs aren't competitive in Europe (well Champions League, plenty of Russian clubs in the Europa League :p). Spartak failed to make the Champions League and are with CSKA in the Europa League group stage. Would be nice to have more Russian representation. :(

Good luck with the rest of the season rancer. I can't believe that with a 17-2-0 record you are only 3 points clear!

The CL group looks good to me though - Zenit and Juve to go through.

Cheers. It's a bit crazy since I've been in the Prem'er Liga. It's really the only reason I have to take 3 points at Spartak. They haven't lost to anyone else. I can't count on Spartak imploding every November. :D

And hope you're right in your CL prediction...with Zenit in 1st!

Tottenham and Villa in the Champions League!

Where are Manchester United and Liverpool may I ask?

And since I'm asking Norwich as well please :D

Manchester United finished 6th, and Liverpool in 11th! Benitez still manager. The top 4 last season was Villa, Chelsea, Spurs, and Arsenal. :D

As for Norwich, they're either League 1 winners or get relegated from the Championship...they haven't been on a good start. 0 wins, 5 losses, with a -10 (2 GF, 12 GA) goal differential in the Championship.

Oh, and I also have Final Round WCQ games with Indonesia. Hope that goes well. :)

Zenit St. Petersburg

Here's the odds for the Champions League: Odds. I think we might finish 2nd in the group...

September 2016

10th: at Spartak Moscow - Prem'er Liga - W 2-1

Big, big, win...

13th: vs Club Brugge - Champions League - W 2-1 - Oscar Cardozo, Danny Morais

We didn't play our best, but we got just enough to secure a big 3pts in the Champions League.

17th: vs Locomotiv Moscow - Prem'er Liga - W 4-0

Playing some backups and one of my young GKs, we had a little trouble in the beginning, but after the OG, it was smooth sailing to another victory.

24th: vs Shinnik - Prem'er Liga - W 4-2

Wow, I was a bit concerned about this one. Shinnik had an early lead and was up 2-1 at halftime. I fired up the lads and they were a lot better in the second half. Oh, and Spartak lost to Luch! :D

28th: at Galatasaray - Champions League - D 0-0

I'm pleased with the result. The Turkish powerhouse were putting some pressure on my back four but they held the fort and we salvage a draw leaving Turkey.

Standings

Champions League Group Stage

In October we face Luch (a), Volga (h), Juve (h), Rubin (a), and Dinamo (h). We can't underestimate any of these teams as football games are not won on paper.

Indonesia

World Ranking: 66th

3rd: at Australia - WCQ Final Round - L 0-2

7th: vs India - Friendly - W 1-0

A disappointing start to WCQ, although the Aussies were always going to be tough, and they weren't going to take us for granted.

WCQ Final Round

Next month, a friendly at Laos and a home game against Iraq.

Zenit St. Petersburg

October 2016

2nd: at Luch - Prem'er Liga - D 2-2 - Oscar Cardozo, Victor Mostovoy

16th: vs Volga NN - Prem'er Liga - W 2-0 - Jo (2)

19th: vs Juventus - Champions League - W 2-0

22nd: at Rubin - Prem'er Liga - D 1-1 - Jose Gerardo Quintana

29th: vs Dinamo Moscow - Prem'er Liga - D 1-1 - Jo

Standings

Champions League

We're struggling. 1 win and 3 draws is unacceptable in the league. Now we're just trying to scrap for wins here and there while Spartak just win. Now I hope next month it's not us who hands the title to Spartak like they did to us last season. The Juve win was nice though.

Indonesia

8th: at Laos - Friendly - W 1-0 - Sergio van Dijk

12th: vs Iraq - WCQ Final Round - W 3-1

A solid couple international games. van Dijk scored in the 1st minute in the Laos game and in the Iraq game, they were controlling the match for 30 mins until I told them to 'retain possession' and they tied the game up before halftime and I continued to push them and we went on for the victory. We're at South Korea next month. Another very tough test, and I haven't faced them yet, so I hope all goes well, and maybe we'll leave with a point.

AFC World Cup Qualifying Final Round

Manchester United finished 6th, and Liverpool in 11th! Benitez still manager. The top 4 last season was Villa, Chelsea, Spurs, and Arsenal. :D

As for Norwich, they're either League 1 winners or get relegated from the Championship...they haven't been on a good start. 0 wins, 5 losses, with a -10 (2 GF, 12 GA) goal differential in the Championship.

We have become the West Bromwich of the Championship :(

OK everyone. A little dilemma. Should I question my insanity if I reject this offer? :D

Mind they're in 19th and it's not the Italian team I want (Juve, because of the link with New York)...they're also in Europa League too.

How do you guys play in Italy. I don't think my tactics work well there. :D

Well, what's the worst that could happen? You get relegated to Serie B having walked out on a Champions League team, that's what! :p

Seriously though, it could be an interesting project to try and revive their fortunes. And maybe you'll get Juve's attention that way too. ;)

Tough call but I'm sure you'll make the right choice. :)

I'd go personally but that's because I love La Viola! That's a huge budget too. How much are they offering you? Always a tough call though, especially once you get attached to a side.

Mmm, just a 500%+ salary increase from 575k to $2.7 mil. :D

I'll wait for a couple more suggestions before making a decision. :)

Tough call rancer. Personally, i'd take the Fiorentina job but that's because i'm like iacovone and love La Viola! (Since the days of Batigol and Football Italia on Channel 4) :D. I even had a save on a previous FM when they were Florentia Viola!

It depends on what your goals are i'd say. If it's the Champions League then obviously you've got more chance of winning it than at Zenit. If it's to totally dominate Russia then stick with Zenit.

Really tough call - how many games into the season are Fiorentina, and how far from safety are they? I've got to admit that along with just about everyone else it seems, I have a bit of a soft spot for Fiorentina from the 1990s. But it doesn't really matter that we all have a soft spot for Fiorentina - if you're attached to Zenit, then it can be pretty hard to leave - unless it's for a team that you have a soft spot for.

Okay everyone, I made my decision. I realize that I don't want to leave Zenit and with the season winding down I want to win another league title and boost my rep, and hopefully, I will get some job offers from teams I want to manage in the summer of 2017 because of less compensation. If not, I'll remain at Zenit and keep beating up Spartak till my contract expires in end of 2018, and maybe even resign with them on a short term contract. :)

In other news, Samuel Eto'o is now the new manager of Championship club Burnley, who replaces Big Sam. :p

With Fiorentina, it wasn't the problem with getting them out of relegation. It was more like getting into the Champions League every year. I was guaranteed this with Zenit but with the likes of Inter, AC Milan, Genoa, Palermo, Roma, etc. it's a challenge.

EDIT: They hired Laudrup from Ajax. Now this gets interesting...I always manage in Holland in every career game...but they rather hire Seedorf. :(

Archived