Long shots - why do players not listen?

After about 5 matches of the same long shot after long shot, and the assistant manager constantly telling me we are having shots, but they are all from long range, I decided to go into advanced and change my midfielders all to rarely unless they happened to have a blistering long shot (which was a total of none of them). I then checked their PPM, to see fi any of them had the shoot long one, and it turned out to be none of them. Also checked to see if they had an particularly high creative freedoms, which was also not true.

Skip to the next game. And what do we have. 16 shots. 11 of them long...

Here are some screen shots:

e9i3kg.png

6iwn6f.png

n3vmtk.png

likely causes:

high creative freedom - tells players to do whatever the feel like to do every now and then.

high tempo - if the opponent defence is well organised and doesn't give enough goal scoring opportunities, shut down your passing channels etc. higher tempo is likely to cause your players try to make things happen with the only option left. i suggest trying lowering tempo in order to advise the players to be more patient, try to develop more organised attack sets. i feel like this is the prime reason under the too frequent long shots problem people seem to be facing as the labels "high tempo-low tempo" are rather misleading, and falsely suggesting one option means better football and the other one anti-football. real life brazil national team and other teams going for possession football such as barcelona opt for lower tempo tactics in terms of fm notation.

high mentality - i'd reckon that one would suggest your players to take more chances in order to score, which may cause more long shots.

also there happens to be other factors which we cannot alter. mainly the match engine obviously.

Players will take long pot shots when there is not alot else 'on' within their capabilities of acheiving. Better they do this than lose possession without at least trying.

YOu need to ensure that they always have other options. I would suggest rewatching a large number of the shots and see what else was 'on' and then work out if you can take advantage of it.

LAM

I seem to be having a similar problem in my game. I've taken the stats from every game so far this season and these are as follows.

18 games, 393 shots. 234 of those have been long shots (59.5% of my entire shots for the season). I play a normal tempo, normal creative freedom, use the touchline instruction of 'work the ball into the box' yet still it persists. To make it weirder, 4 of my players are on long shots sometimes whilst the other 6 are set to rarely. Cant see any explanation for what is happening at all. :(

Any ideas?

Average shots per game = 21.5

Average goals per game = 1.95

Archived