The Adem Ljajic situation in FM (worth a read I reckon)

They are very rarely actually combined deals. I mean, look at Tosic/Ljajic. Tosic is at United, even though Ljajic didn't join them. It wasn't a combined fee. The Da Silvas were poached, weren't they? Walker and Naughton are the best example you've provided, but even then, I bet they weren't a combined fee.

I think "buy then loan back" deals are equally rare. Ljajic wasn't loaned back, his transfer was simply agreed in principle, as we've seen.

Barcelona signed Overmars & Petit from Arsenal for a combined fee though

You are correct, of course. If this wasn't the case there would be no point in sending a non-EU player on loan to a Belgian club, as he wouldn't gain Belgian nationality.

It is to do with where you reside, so if you are on loan to a club, you will start gaining/earning? (not sure either is the correct word!) that countries nationality.

This is confusing national laws concerning citizenship ("days to gain X nationality") with UEFA or other national FA rules considering player's 'home grown' status. Two different things.

Although some leagues still have nationality restrictions, these are mostly illegal for EU players within EU countries, so the 'home grown' status has arisen as a way of supporting youth player development without contradicting EU labour mobility laws.

or the clubs finances are in danger (the probable truth)

Firstly as a United fan... you shouldn't be coming on here with such delusional rantings about the finances of a club who might be in debt, but at the same time are the only club in the world capable of financing such a debt... even the credit crunch, people are still buying shirts and season tickets were sold out again! United are paying the debt and it has not and is not affecting the transfer policy or funds!

United haven't signed Ljajic because Ferguson (the man who put United where they are today) has decided that he is no better than the kids they have coming through the ranks... so why spend £10million on another foreigner, who'll leave the first time his "boyhood club" comes along... when we have British kids coming through who are just as good if not better?

Anyway as for FM 2010 or 2011... please do not implicate such contractual mediocrities into a game that has lost it's verve on 2009... concentrate your energies on making 2011 better! Making the match day more involving and improving the influence that a manager can have over the development of young players!

Archived