The weaknesses of each formations...

I'm not good at writing long stuff but this thread is just to discuss the weaknesses of each formation and maybe the ways to counter them...my default formation is a 4-4-2, which I think is most balance is terms of attacking and defending...

For eg, a 4-1-2-1-2/4-4-2 diamond narrow, the weakness would be flanks as this formation is without wingers. So to counter them, you would probably want your team to attack the flanks and pin their fullbacks/wingbacks back.

2 other formations I feel that are weak at the flanks are the 4-4-2(2 dms and 2 side midfielders) and 4-2-3-1(2 cms and 3 amc).

I would like to hear if people have ways to counter formations like 4-3-3(1 dm, 2 cm, 2 wingers and 1 striker) or the 4-2-3-1(2 cms, 1 amc, 1 aml, 1 amr)...these are the formations that I have problems with.

the 4-1-2-2-1 (DM CM CM AMR AML ST) is used by Barcelona and its deadly when used correctly, it has a strong defence and a lightning quick attack

however I managed to defeat this tactic using home 4-4-1-1 system and 4-1-3-2 away, your defence must push-up and you must play narrow

it was very frustrating to find a system to defeat this tactic especially when Barcelona has Ibrahimovic as ST, Messi, Ribery, Ozil in my game as wingers

the 4-2-3-1 (CM CM AMR AMC AML ST) was used previously by Barcelona in older FMs, I suppose a 4-1-3-2 should work too because this is the advanced version of the previous system, DM position moved to AM

Well the easiest way is to mirror the formation, then its all down to player ability. I myself have problems with highly central formations like 4 2 3 1 or the 41212 diamond. Posting to keep this thread alive and after reading the TT&F10 about the bolton portsmouth game, I'm wondering if someone can do an a more detailed guide about 'creating' and extra man. I'm playing the game in Spain and it seems every game brings a new formation to me!

mirroring is a bad tactic unless you have better players, try to outplay Real Madrid or Barca with their systems and they will trash you 7-0, I tried it, it never worked

try to play wider and use the wings to create superiority if you have problems with teams that are advantaged by the centre midfield

the formation you play must be a dynamic one

for example in one match scouts say Team X plays well with teams that play 4-4-2, so you change to 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-3, next match Team Y struggles against 4-4-2 so you keep 4-4-2, deep/push-up, narrow/wide, quick / slow has a big influence in the game

you can play slow with slow defenders but against fast defenders you have no chance and so on...

There are a lot of tactical frameworks which have strengths and weaknesses, I'm interested in this thread but I'd definitely suggest that one formation/tactic is picked first and then we work from there on the weaknesses it has rather than randomly talking about different tactics.

Bestie.

ok

4-2-3-1 is a pain in the ass, because this is the 4th year when I find it hard to defeat teams that use it

In previous versions of FM Barcelona and Roma used it quite remarkable

why is this system hard to defeat?

because it's a dynamic system

when they attack they are like a 4-3-3 with the two wingers, when they defend they are a 4-5-1

the main advantages of this position are that offers good defence and good attack assuming you have 2 good wingers and one good target man

so let's see

most of the time they play deep

they play wide because the wingers need space to move

the wingers will try to eliminate your fullbacks(if you're playing with 3 defenders you're more vulnerable), dribble or run past them and then get into the box or cross the ball to the attacker

their forward will try to get through, he will pass the ball to the wingers,and AMC or he will try to shoot at the goal

watch out for the two MC's they will shoot long

my ideas to counter this is with a 4-1-3-2 ( DM CM CM CM ST ST)

your team must play narrow, since you have no wingers, maximize the potential of your midifield

your 2 centre-backs must not let the opposite attacker breathe

your full-backs must constantly press the wingers and close them down, reducing the threat from that part

defence must be push-up, attention if you play too high in the field combined with the offside trap they can suckerpunch you so take care

the DMC should take care of their AMC, tackle him hard and close down

close down their CM's so they can't shoot from long distance at your goal

so you will play narrow,push-up,quick

a quick direct attack two of your MC's must have forward runs often

so

counter

push-up

narrow

quick

defending zonal

closing down (AMR AML AMC MC MC)

build your attack how it suits you better quick direct passing or quick short passing

tell me if that works

how about picking the 4-2-3-1 (CM CM AMR AMC AML ST) apart for now. I have so much trouble with this tactic playing in Spain. Someone mentioned a 4-1-3-2 to counter this? Any specifics?

The 4-1-3-2 would be a decent way of countering the 4-3-2-1. The way I would do it would be to go back to the old way of man-marking. My full-backs would play tight on the wingers, one centre-back takes the striker and my DM the other teams AM. You've then got basically a sweeper/Libero playing behind a three-man defense who can clean up any mistakes and move the ball forward to your own midfield. The biggest weaknesses I see with the 4-2-3-1 is its strengths, the fluidity of the front 4 can be nullified and if that happens the team is forced to rely upon technique vs technique.

Bestie.

the advantage is if you pass the ball quick and short the opposition has less chances to take away the ball from you, and if you play narrow and you have 4 midfielders they are easier to find each other on the field, the problem is you need a creative midfielder to link the midfield to the two strikers

please view this match, barca was not playing 4-2-3-1(CM CM AMR AMC AML ST) but had a similar system 4-1-2-2-1 (DM CM CM AMR AML ST) practically instead of the AM they had a DM which was harder for me

match FC Barcelona - FC Steaua Bucharest

please watch at least key moments and check the match stats

enjoy!

Barcelona v Steaua.pkm - 0.07MB

direct link http://www.zshare.net/download/688891604f7cb5f5/

sorry for the 50 seconds waiting

Archived