Tactical Central & Insight:

The "Master" ;) is right... In the FA Cup final against Man City i choose Magath (13) (slight favorite).

Walcott (25) 0-1

Tevez (45+2) 1-1 but with direct foul

i felt that i could go more aggressive so in the middle of the 2nd half i changed to spalletti (14)

arshavin (81) 1-2 :)

and then i changed back to Magath (13) but with defensive full backs.

Loversleaper I am very happy that i found your tactics.

My arsenal team is very stable now, but i have only one question:

what tactic should i play on away matches against ManUtd, Chelsea, Liverpool, Real Madrid etc.. ??

4-4-1-1 (7) dont have good results :(

Chelsea & Liverpool usually use the Attacking Midfielder, so since the 4-4-1-1 (& the 4-4-2) doesn't have an anchor it could cause some problems (lack of cover) against their type of formation.

Real Madrid have a very strong attacking team, if they are using pushed up wingers then you have to remove forward runs from full backs. Most of these teams will be very hard to deal with in their stadium regardless.

So, I think if I generally struggled away to these type of teams (elite) then I might consider using the 4-1-4-1_Tapia_(7) or the 4-1-3-2_Dunga_(7) as they add extra cover for the back four (anchor man). It could stabalise results, I generally like the 4-2-3-1_Tactics as well but I like to combine it with the 4-1-2-2-1_Sets just to add a little diversity (a so-called LoneStriker tactic set) and for the instances mentioned above (re: opposition using attacking midfielder and/or need extra cover)...

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to say this is my favourite thread on the forums. This is my first post but ive been lurking around for many years utilizing the expert knowledge of Loversleaper,SFFraser and Cleon to name a few. Im in the 3rd season of a Rotherham save and have been using a 4-1-2-1-2 formation. Would love to swich to using some of Loversleapers tactics but dont have the funds to quickly introduce wide men and get them gelled so i have basically created 7 variations of my tactic for bad/good weather and ult def to ult attacking and everything in between based upon Loversleapers downloadable tactics.

I finished 2nd in LG2 in my first season and finished 6th in LG1(prom through playoffs) in my second season and now have the daunting task of keeping them in the Championship.Ive been forced to make many upgrades(8 so far) as i feel we probably got into the championship to soon. I feel i will probably struggle early on with such an ungelled squad but with a bit of patience and consistency from me motivation wise i feel i can get Rotherham to around mid table by seasons end. I will make some updates to my progress from time to time on my season.

I would also like to note Ive also enjoyed Grokaers updates on his Liverpool save and have enjoyed reading his mostly ups and a few downs in his game.On a note on his query about using expect to win away from home,aslong as your slight favs and morale is good it always works well for me. In fact i use Wolfsong excellent team talks and only ever use for the fans or expect to win on pre match talks with some individual talks for any nervous/bad form or young players.

So, I think if I generally struggled away to these type of teams (elite) then I might consider using the 4-1-4-1_Tapia_(7) or the 4-1-3-2_Dunga_(7) as they add extra cover for the back four (anchor man). It could stabalise results, I generally like the 4-2-3-1_Tactics as well but I like to combine it with the 4-1-2-2-1_Sets just to add a little diversity (a so-called LoneStriker tactic set) and for the instances mentioned above (re: opposition using attacking midfielder and/or need extra cover)...

Thank you, I'll give it a try this season, cause liverpool (EPL) and Real (CL) were very difficult opponents last year (and they played exactly like you said).

I think you made the right approach but the only thing I wouldn´t have done is to switch to the Allegri tactic. You were at 0-0 when you made the change, personally I think if I absolutely had to make a change then I would have dropped to the Italy tactic but not if I were most dominant over the course of the match.

As a favorite in the final I would choose a Mentality framework of (13) normally. Maybe the first season there is not much difference in terms of sqaud quality between the two Finalist teams so you might opt to go for a Mentality (10) or (11) - which might explain why it looked more right on the ME. The change down to Allegri was definatly a mistake, I personally would have gone with the Italy_(10) if the Brazil_(13)/Ranieri_(13) wasn't clearly working.

In the final you usually have good teams, both teams will most likely go for the win so it will naturally be a back and forth game - as all good finals are meant to be. I don't think it is a cause for allarm as I think it should be expected, we'll be on the edge of our seats for most of these type of games regardless. If you had some good chances then I think that this is a good indication that you have the oppertunity to break through and should carry on trying.

You have got to the Final, so it is only a matter of time before you get to a another one. In good weather stick to Italy or Brazil, in bad weather go for Ranieri or Athletico - only go defensive to hold on to a slender lead in the last ten minutes.

Good final tactics:

4-2-3-1_Benitez_(10), 4-4-2_Italy_(10) & 4-1-2-2-1_Queiroz_(10) - close odds.

4-4-1-1_Capello_(6) - slight underdog.

4-3-2-1_Ancelotti_(8) - any odds.

4-1-2-2-1_Mourinho_(13) - slight favorites.

4-1-4-1_Tapia_(7), 4-1-3-2_Dunga_(7) or 4-4-1-1_McLeish_(7) - larger underdog.

4-4-2_Brazil_(13) - favorites.

4-4-2_SirAlex_(15) - very large favorites.

Better luck next time...:thup:

Thanks Loversleaper. I'll never give up, that's for sure.

Next match: Away to Shakhtar, Champions League 1st knockout round 2nd leg, Wet and Windy, Shakhtar 6-4 (fav) [Liverpool 3-0 up on aggregate from first leg]

Started Athletico11, Shakthar narrow 4132 so closing down OIs on 3 AMCs.

Shakhtar controlled the first half and were having pretty constant possession in my 3rd of the pitch. On occasional times when I looked like getting a break on I would give away possession too quickly and put myself under pressure again. They scored deservedly on 31 mins. 1-0 Shakhtar. Shakhtar continued to dominate the rest of the first half with the odd breakout from Liverpool.

Half time: Shakhtar 1 Liverpool 0

Switched to Aguirre6 at half time.

Second half: I started on fire and Dzeko ran onto a through ball and dribbled round the keeper to equalise on 47mins. 1-1. Torres then ran onto a ball after a lovely move and slotted home on 50 mins. 1-2 Liverpool. Shakhtar then take control again around 55 mins. From 65 mins I then assumed a period of control until 80mins when Shakhtar looked like they were going to take control but it became even, perhaps me with a slight edge till the final whistle.

Full time: Shakhtar 1 Liverpool 2

Agg score: Shakhtar 1 Liverpool 5

Next match: Home to Man Utd, Premier League, Dry, Liverpool 5-4 (fav)

Started Sacchi14, Man Utd playing 442.

First half: A very two and fro affair, fairly even, we both had a couple of other good chances that were spurned. Torres scored after a lovely move on 27 mins. 1-0 Liverpool. 10 mins later, Rooney latched onto a lovely through ball and slammed past keeper. 1-1. Rest of first half played out same way, to and fro, fairly even.

Half time: Liverpool 1 Man Utd 1

Second half: Much the same way as before until on 53 mins, Dzeko rounded off a lovely move to put Liverpool back in front. 2-1 Liverpool. On 57 mins Torres rounded off another great move (that involved some nice interplay between Dzeko and Torres). 3-1 Liverpool. Immediately switched to Athletico11 hoping to see out game and hit on break. On 76 mins, Torres finished another move deftly. 4-1 Liverpool. Game played out comfortably.

Full time: Liverpool 4 Man Utd 1

Next match: Away to Everton, Wet, Premier League, Liverpool Evens (fav)

Started Athletico11. Everton 4411, closing down OI on AMC.

First half: Pretty even, Everton scored on 21 mins from a penalty 1-0 Everton. Continued to be even.

Half time: Everton 1 Liverpool 0

Second half: I worked my way into commanding the game quickly from the start of the second half. Dzeko deservedly scored a 25 yder into the bottom corner on 60 mins. 1-1. Torres spurned 3 very good chances, twice foiled by the keeper (1 of them was an unbelieveable save) and once by a despairing defender trying to get back at Torres.

Full time: Everton 1 Liverpool 1

Next match: Home to Fulham, Premier League, Dry, Liverpool 6-4 (fav)

First half: Liverpool controlled much of the game. Mascherano hit the post.Cabanas latches onto a through ball and slams ball into net at near post on 45 mins to give Liverpool a derserved lead.

1-0 Liverpool.

Half time: Liverpool 1 Fulham 0

Second half: Cabanas sent off in 48 mins for usin an elbow. Switched to Athletico11 immediately and just missing right of centre striker now. (441). Fulham keeper makes a great save from Torres on 57 mins. On 65 mins, from a lightening Liverpool break, Torres scores fine individual effort. 2-0 Liverpool. I have been comfortable with 10 men. Fulham started to exert pressure around the 70th min but on 74 mins, a great Liverpool move saw Torres batter the ball past the keeper. 3-0 Liverpool. Switched to Aguirre6 to close out game on 76 mins. Still comfortable, from 80 mins on, spell of Fulham possession but posing no threat until suddenly, on 88 (3-1 Liverpool) mins Fulham get a consolation that looked offside which was annoying becasue if I had paid enough attention and made my time wasting subs then I would have probably seen out the game comfortably without conceding that clean sheet.

Full time: Liverpool 3 Fulham 1

I'm now top of league again, ahead of Man City by 1, Chelsea by 3 and Man U by 7.

Next match: Away to Aston Villa, Premier League, Wet, Liverpool 4-6 (fav)

Started Athletico11.

First half: Liverpool control and look most threatening. On 5 mins Dzeko receives a high ball just outside box that he heads down to the onrushing Mascherano and then spins his defender moving into space beyond him just in time to break onto Mascherano's elequent through ball and power home a great goal. 0-1 Liverpool. On 11 mins Dzeko Scores again. 0-2 Liverpool. 28 mins - Liverpool still in control.

Great save from Friedel to save Villa on 39 mins. Liverpool in control.

Half time: Aston Villa 0 Liverpool 2

Second half: Aston Villa get a penalty on 46 mins. Goal. 1-2 Liverpool. On 54 mins a beautiful Liverpool move puts Dzeko in and he makes no mistake. 1-3 Liverpool.

On 69 mins, pass to Torres who finishes well leaving the keeper no chance. 1-4 Liverpool. Dzeko forces a great save from Villa goalie on 86 mins from a Lukaka cross. Liverpool controlled second half.

Full time: Aston Villa 1 Liverpool 4

With 6 games in Premier League to go I am still first 3 clear of Man City, 6 clear of Chelsea and 7 clear of Man Utd.

I would also like to note Ive also enjoyed Grokaers updates on his Liverpool save and have enjoyed reading his mostly ups and a few downs in his game.On a note on his query about using expect to win away from home,aslong as your slight favs and morale is good it always works well for me. In fact i use Wolfsong excellent team talks and only ever use for the fans or expect to win on pre match talks with some individual talks for any nervous/bad form or young players.

Cheers Tinman4571, and thanks for your feedback on 'expect a win' when playing away from home. It's good to know.

Play well...

Next match: Home to AC Milan, Champions League Quarter final Leg 1, Wet and Windy, Liverpool 5-4 (fav)

Started Sacchi14. Milan 41221 so closing down OIs on AMR, AML and DM.

Pre match talk: For the fans (team)

First half: Took control straight away, Dzeko rounding off a nice move in less than 90 secs. 1-0 Liverpool. Continued to control the game, Milan had a couple of corners and a couple of blocked crosses to show for their efforts and after Dzeko set up Mascherano, he (Mascherano) shot and the keeper parried it to Riera who slammed it into the net on 21 mins. 2-0 Liverpool. 24 mins, Ronaldinho shot from 20 yds brilliantly saved by Liverpool keeper. 27 mins, great save from Milan keeper from a Riera shot. On 32 mins, Milan looking threatening a couple of times and are looking in control so drop to Athletico11 and check their formation against my OIs. They have swapped a DM and MC around so take OI closing down off original DM and put OI closing down on new DM. I seemed to be having more of it again in 36th min. On 41 mins, a Dzeko header from Mascherano cross makes it 3-0 Liverpool. On 43 mins a quick ball from defence to Dzeko in centre circle who spins and plays it into the path of the onrushing Torres who charges clear of the defence and slots past keeper. 4-0 Liverpool.

Half time: Liverpool 4 AC Milan 0

Half time talk: Pleased (team)

Second half: Right at start I checked formation against OIs again. Milan have brought a new AMR on and reswapped the previous DM MC switch so I amend my closing down OIs to match the DM, AMR and AML again. On 53 mins, Torres shot saved by Milan keeper when Torres was right through. Torres header just over from a great left wing cross on 73 mins. Milan having a little better possession but not really threatened me yet.

On 85 mins Dzeko hits the bar with a header from another great cross from left hand side. On 86 mins, Pato with a shot beaten out by keeper followed by a shot just wide. A couple of subs from Liverpool in last 6 mins to break up game and waste a bit of time. All comfortable.

Full time: Liverpool 4 AC Milan 0

Full time talk: Pleased on players below 8.0 in match rating, Delighted on players rated 8.0 and above.

Next match: Away to Blackburn, Premier League, Dry, Liverpool 4-7 (fav)

Started Italy10, Blackburn playing 4411 so closing down OI on AMC.

First half: Liverpool were in control. No bother from Blackburn. Liverpool missed 3 decent chances. Finally penalty to Liverpool in 43mins. Goal. 0-1 Liverpool. Carragher. A deserved lead.

Half time: Blackburn 0 Liverpool 1

Second half: Liverpool still in control. A couple more chances missed. Blackburn no threat. On 57 mins a good Dzeko header from a cross from the left makes it 0-2 Liverpool. 60 mins, great run from Torres (more than half the length of the pitch evading 2 tackles, just short of byline low cross pass to Dzeko who makes no mistake from 5 yds. 0-3 Liverpool. Game continued comfortably. Arond 6 mins remaining, to make sure of clean sheet, took forward runs and dribble of full backs with cross from set to deep. I still had another chance or two.

Very comfortable.

Full time: Blackburn 0 Liverpool 3

3 important points, 5 games to go and 3 points ahead of Man City who are 2nd, better goal difference for Liverpool but City just beat Man U 3-1 at Old Trafford this weekend so the pressure was on today.

You know the tactis i dload from this site, do they only work on new games and not old save games?

SI made sure that tactics for FM10 are not compadible with older versions. I am sorry about this as I think I haven't got the older versions laying around anywhere anymore.

If you tell me which tactics you would like I could give you the settings and tell you how to tweak them. It is not that big a job and think you could do a whole set in 10-15 minutes with the right approach. The settings from this thread will/should work for FM09 & FM08...

Grokaer: I wanted to say that I think in the Milan game you made the absolute right choice. As a Master-Class type of team (like Liverpool) you mostly will play a more High Pressure tactic when favorites at home but this game is where you have to look at a bigger picture. It's your first season at the club and there is still some form of gelling process going on + you haven't built such a big reputation yet. These are when tactical decisions are key in getting the result. The next game away to Blackburn was also a good decision, so all in all you are starting to get aquinted with what works for your team and when.

For you first season using multiple tactics I think you actually have done a massive job so far, especially if you take the titel. You can see that even if you do make some unlucky choices it is not so bad that you can't bounce back. We learn better from making mistakes and this will help for the next seasons or other saves we would like to create. I hope some of the viewers can also see through these posts that a 'general pattern' is slowly emmerging in terms of Mentality, it's not so random and has a certain mindset that one can basically follow...

quick update on where I am at

I got Rochdale straightened out, 7-4-4 good for 7th place but while scanning for potential loans I ran across Vladimir Koman, a guy I just bought in my Newcastle save and being the way I am, I opened that save game and started playing it again. The previous 2 season with Newcastle, I played the 4231 almost exclusively, finishing in 4th, 3rd and 2nd place the last three seasons. My plan for the 2013/2014 season was to load and potentially use all the formations as needed and get some hardware. I'll let you know how I get on.

Next match: Away to AC Milan, Champions League Quarter final Leg 2, Wet, AC Milan 5-4 (fav) [Liverpool lead 4-0 from 1st leg]

Started Athletico11. Milan playing 41221 so closing down OIs on DM, AML and AMR.

Prematch Teamtalk: Don't get complacent [Team]

First half: Milan start brightly but I take control on 2 mins and continue this control until 8 mins when Milan start to have more possession. Each time, Milan don't seem to have possession for long till I win it deep in my half and breakaway at least holding onto possession until having a go in opponents' third of pitch. This pattern repeats until on 12 mins Maxi Rodriguez makes a great run and picked up with a slide rule pass putting him right in on gaol and he makes no mistake with a composed finish. 0-1 Liverpool.

14 mins, great run and cross down left from Torres, Dzeko header...Off the bar! Still 0-1.

I am now in total control. 22 mins, Torres runs onto a Riera cross from left and scores at near post from near in but a tight angle. 0-2 Liverpool. I continue controlling although on 26 mins Milan break, win a free kick and then a corner from free kick and header goes over the bar without threatening the Liverpool goal. 28 mins, Good move from Liverpool, Torres find Dzeko, goal! 0-3 Liverpool. I continue controlling game. Had 1 scare around 40 min mark where Milan should have scored but somehow defence cleared it. On 46 mins, another Torres cross from left to Dzeko who again headed against the bar with the keeper beaten.

Half time: AC Milan 0 Liverpool 3

Halftime Teamtalk: Pleased [Team]

Second half: I checked formation against OIs again. Milan have brought on a player and switched to flat 442 so as we have matching formations with all players in the same strata I remove all closing down OIs. I am controlling game again. On 50 mins, cross from Maxi on right and Torres takes it in his stride past the keeper and slots home from close range and narrow angle despite the attentions of 2 defenders. 0-4 Liverpool.

52 mins Torres breaks free from defence, just as he is getting into box he is tackled by recovering defender and ball breaks free into Dzeko's stride and he makes no mistake from 16 yds into bottom corner. 0-5 Liverpool.

53 mins, Mascherano wins ball just inside my half, releases Dzeko who puts Torres through but he can only finish straight at the keeper. Around 55 mins, Milan start to have some possession around my final third without threatening. On 56 mins, I break out with Mascherano scampering down right who delivers a pass to on running Dzeko who can only find the keeper from 8 yds with a free shot.

On 61 mins, Milan break away with a nice move and Borriello slots a nice shot into far corner. 1-5 Liverpool. Immediately I make 2 subs for players who have been carrying slight injuries since first half, Aurelio and Torres, who make way for Insua and Cabanas. This is becasue their lower condition due to the carried injuries may have reached a point that Milan could be able exert some concerted pressure or change momentum of the game. After some brief pressure and manic closing down from Milan, still Liverpool controlling but not quite as dominant as before but still very comfortable. Gerrard warms the keepers hands with a stern low drive from 25 yds on 69 mins. 70 mins, shot over bar from Pato for Milan. Caused by 2 consecutive weak clearances from my players when defending. On 74 mins, lovely move, ripping Milan apart with great quick possession and tempo, cross from left finds Dzeko who heads home. 1-6 Liverpool. 76 mins, Cabanas puts Dzeko through, keeper gets a hand to the shot to put it for a corner. From resultant corner, near post header blocked on line by Milan defender. 79 mins, cross from left, header Dzeko, great save from keeper who is unable to hold it.

* By now my players are playing like people possessed! I am scratching my head to remember what exactly I have done since loading up game this evening and wondering if I have stumbled on a sequence of keys or mouse clicks that have suddenly given me superhuman players. :D

As the game plays out, both keepers have 2 more saves to make - 2 very good saves from the Milan keeper, 1 from a powerful Cabanas downward header that looked to be blocked by keepers legs/feet, 1 from Dzeko 1on1 and 1 easy save and a good save on a 25 yd shot from Reina for Liverpool.

Can't believe how dominant I have been here - it literally could have been 10 goals alone today for Liverpool.

Full time: AC Milan 1 Liverpool 6, (10-1 to Liverpool on aggregate)

Fulltime Teamtalk: Delighted to players with match rating of 8.0 or greater and pleased for rest of team. [7 of my starters had rating of 8 or over and another had 7.9].

Last 4 teams in competition - Liverpool, Man Utd, Inter, Barcelona

Draw for Semis: Inter v Barcelona and Man Utd v Liverpool

Next match: Home to Arsenal, Premier League, Wet and gusty, Liverpool 4-5 (fav)

Started Sacchi14, Arsenal playing 41221 so closing down OIs on DM, AML and AMR.

First half: I start by controlling the first 5 mins almost scoring from a 20yd volley just wide and a point blank header a fraction over and another shot. Arsenal then have a couple of nice moves where they retain the ball and on 1 occasion created a good chance. 10 mins, nice move by Liverpool puts Torres through and he duly scores. 1-0 Liverpool. I play some good stuff for another couple of mins before Arsenal, breaking away and keeping possession look dangerous and create another chance (1/2 chance) which went over on 13 mins. On 15 mins a great move down left by Liverpool leads to a cross/pass for an on running Stevie G who only finds the keeper from 6 yds with a free shot - should have scored. On 17 mins disaster! A long free kick from halfway inside Arsenal half is taken by the Arsenal goalie. It goes straight through to Reina (without bouncing) and he fumbles it a couple of yds in front of himself and van Persie runs onto it and slides it home before Reina can react. 1-1. No legislating for that, tactical or otherwise. A tough break and a test of character now.

20 mins and Liverpool retain possession in the Arsenal third for a spell that culminates in Torres lashing a vicious shot into the top corner from 18 yds. 2-1 Liverpool.

The rest of the first half was reasonably uneventful but I controlled the next 20 mins making the Arsenal goalie work on at least 3 occasions, whereas during Arsenal's spell there were a couple of shots that missed the target but as in the rest of the first half, most of their attacks were rebuffed by my defenders through interceptions and tackles.

Half time: Liverpool 2 Arsenal 1

Second half: Arsenal come at me from the go and immediately open me up for Arshavin to equalise. 2-2. I am immediately thinking it was a mistake to not either remove forward runs/dribbling and set crosses to deep for both full backs on my Sacchi14 or switch to Athletico11. I switch to Athletico11 after 54 mins as Arsenal are having the best of it. Bit more even and I start creating a few openings though not as good as the 1st half. Arsenal having periods of possession and looking dangerous probably shading it at this moment. Change to Sacchi14 again but this time removing forward runs/dribbling and set crosses to deep for both full backs. I had slightly the best of a mostly uneventful last 8 mins or so.

Full time: Liverpool 2 Arsenal 2

Probably a fair result but disappointed as I made a mistake switching to Athletico11 which I believe cost me my chance to win, should have kept Sacchi14 removing forward runs/dribbling and set crosses to deep for both full backs.

Last 4 games left in Premier league:

Bolton (A)

Hull (H)

West Ham (A)

Sunderland (H)

I am top with a lead of 3 points, 7 points and 8 points over 2nd (Man City), 3rd (Chelsea), 4th (Man Utd) and a vastly superior goal difference. All teams have played 34 games. No excuses.

Next match: Home to Arsenal, Premier League, Wet and gusty, Liverpool 4-5 (fav)

Probably a fair result but disappointed as I made a mistake switching to Athletico11 which I believe cost me my chance to win, should have kept Sacchi14 removing forward runs/dribbling and set crosses to deep for both full backs.

Good that you had spottet this because I think you are absolutly right. You have just played a difficult midweek clash so your players might be a little down in fitness so this will be a hard game regardless & you got the result.

I think what you are witnessing regarding your perofrmances is that #1 your team's moral is good, and #2 I think your squad is gelling - and at the last minute as well. The gelling of a squad is something you need to think about also for the future when you need to change things. Consistancy of the squad will really help your team's performances, little changes here and there won't effect too much - where on the other hand huge alterations can totally change this aspect...

Next match: Away to Bolton, Premier League, Wet, Liverpool 4-7 (fav)

Started Athletico11, Bolton 352.

First half: I was controlling proceedings reasonably untl on 17 mins, Bolton undid me with a nice move and finish. 1-0 Bolton. Things still not looking good so I switch up to Ranieri13 around 30 mins and I controlled the last 15 mins hitting the woodwork and having many crosses etc.

Half Time: Bolton 1 Liverpool 0

Second half: After an even start, Bolton cross from my right, Kevin Davies jumps above 2 Liverpool defenders and heads past Reina. 2-0 Bolton. I immediately switch to Sacchi14 and am all over them. StevieG shot from 10 yds, bang goal. 2-1 Bolton. I continue to be all over them and either the occasional pass is straying (especially around their box) or the many crosses that I put in their box didn't seem to find the target when I won the ball or Bolton won it and cleared it. This continued for rest of game.

Full time: Bolton 2 Liverpool 1

Incredible. Gutted to be so close and make foul ups like this. Man City have just beaten Man Utd at Old Trafford to draw level with me on points but behind on goal difference by about 12 goals. Clearly I have played the wrong tactics - I should have started on the Ranieri13 from the 1st minute of the game. Perhaps I should have switched to Sacchi14 sooner. It was clear that when I switched to these tactics, I dominated the game totally for the rest of the half.

I also may have struggled with the 352. I need to have a look again.

Next match: Away to Man Utd, Champions League Semi final Leg 1, Windy, Man Utd Evens (fav)

Started Italy10, Man Utd playing 442

First half: Liverpool started well, both teams with possession but I am having a little more. Man Utd not looking dangerous. Suddenly, on 11 mins, Dzeko latches onto a defensive error by Man Utd DC and rams ball home from 18 yds. 0-1 Liverpool.

I controlled spells of the first half with more possession but was ripped apart principly by Wayne Rooney on 14, 24, 43 mins. 3-1 Man Utd. They had a spell within their 3 goal period of dominance of possession.

Half time: Man Utd 3 Liverpool 1

Second half: Man Utd were controlling now so on 55 mins switched to Allegri6. I started to get more possession again and look a little more threatening. On 59 mins an already booked Wes Brown gets another booking and so is sent off! On 60 mins, Kuyt robs a Man U defender and advances before crossing for Torres to slam into an empty net from 5 yds. 3-2 Man Utd. On 63, as I'm playing against 10 men I decide to give it a go and switch up to Sacchi14. I am suddenly very dominant, pushing Man Utd back and looking very very dangerous. On 66 mins StevieG fires in a 25 yder after a nice Liverpool move. 3-3. A couple of misses from Liverpool and a couple of incredible saves from the Man Utd goalie along with a 72 min strike into far corner from Aurelio (3-4 Liverpool) until the 85th minute when Man Utd put some pressure on me for 5-10 mins but I held out reasonably comfortably and hit them on the break a couple of times nearly adding to my lead.

Full time: Man Utd 3 Liverpool 4

A bit fortunate with the sending off (it was a deserved red), I only mean I was lucky result wise as I don't think I would have won this without it. Having said that, you can only beat what is put in front of you and my team did that. Can't ask any more of them.

Grokaer: I have noticed that the 4-4-2 generally really struggles against the 3-5-2. I think that this issue has been slightly discussed somewhere in this thread, (IIRC) a contributer mentioned that the best formation to 'counter' it was the 4-1-2-2-1 (wide pushed up wingers beeing key here). I usually do change to this formation when I encounter the 3-5-2 and do better than using the 4-4-2. It might be a good option next time you face the 3-5-2 even though it is not your teams perferred formation and see how it goes...:thup:

Next match: Home to Hull, Premier League, Dry, Liverpool 4-7 (fav)

Started Hiddink15, Hull 442

First half: I dominate hitting the top of the bar, the inside of the post and having the Hull keeper foil 2 1on1s. Eventually on 30 mins, after a nice move, Dzeko fires home from close range. 1-0 Liverpool.

I keep applying the pressure without success, keeper with a couple of great saves, Hull had 1 break away that looked dangerous and ended in them hitting the underside of the bar with a header that looped over Reina, bounced up and hit Reina on the back and my defender latched onto ball just before Hull player to boot it clear.

Half time: Liverpool 1 Hull 0

Second half: Still Liverpool in control. A couple of great saves from Hull keeper in first 15 mins of second half. On 60 mins remove fwd runs and dribbling from full backs and set cross from to deep. Hull keeper saves another 1on1 on 67 mins. On 73 mins, great passing move the full length of the pitch and ball falls to Dzeko in right side of Hull box, and 1 great powerful finish later, 2-0 Liverpool. Immediately switch to Italy10 and remove fwd runs and dribbling from full backs and set cross from to deep. Can still catch them again but don't want to take any chances now I have a couple of goals advantage.

I have 5 more chances and fail to take any of them.

Full time: Liverpool 2 Hull 0

3 precious points.:D

Grokaer: I have noticed that the 4-4-2 generally really struggles against the 3-5-2. I think that this issue has been slightly discussed somewhere in this thread, (IIRC) a contributer mentioned that the best formation to 'counter' it was the 4-1-2-2-1 (wide pushed up wingers beeing key here). I usually do change to this formation when I encounter the 3-5-2 and do better than using the 4-4-2. It might be a good option next time you face the 3-5-2 even though it is not your teams perferred formation and see how it goes...:thup:

Nice one Loversleaper. Will definitely give that a try. Cheers.

Next match: Home to Man Utd, Champions League Semi final Leg 2, Dry, Liverpool 5-4 (fav)

Started Sacchi14, Man Utd playing 442, Torres injured

First half: Man Utd came and had a go and started brightly with Berbatov blasting over in 3 mins, Reina producing an outstanding save to deny Rooney on 9 mins and then another save from Rooney on 13 mins. On 20 mins, StevieG blasted a 30 yd shot into corner of net. 1-0 Liverpool. Reina made another save from Berbatov on 29 mins before a great individual Rooney move ripped me apart for the equaliser. 1-1. A comfortable Reina save from a Fletcher header ended the first half action that Man U had had the better of. I had had a few corners and crosses that never really came to anything.

Half time: Liverpool 1 Man Utd 1

Second half: On 50 mins Berbatov missed the target with another chance, then on 56 mins Dzeko headed over followed by Lukaka blasting over when he should have done better. On 62 mins brought on Cabanas for Lukaka. On 68 mins a great Dzeko run from just inside opponent's half was brought to an end by a good challenge just when it seemed like he was right through. On 76 mins Gerrard was just over from a free kick and on 80 mins, from a Dzeko cross from left, Cabanas headed down back across the keeper from the far post to make it 2-1 Liverpool. Rooney hit the woodwork on 88 mins with a shot after breaking free of his man. And that was the last of the action.

Full time: Liverpool 2 Man Utd 1 (6-4 to Liverpool on aggregate)

A bit fortunate over the 2 legs here but what the heck? You think I'm going to scoff at a bit of good fortune? No chance. The sending off in the first leg followed by my switch to Sacchi14 won me the first leg when I was in danger of being out the tie while 3-1 down.

Man Utd were clearly better than me in the first half but I think I got the better of a closer second half.

Barcelona v Liverpool in the final. I'm Away unfortunately, but ecstatic to be in the Champions League Final. :D

Barcelona v Liverpool in the final. I'm Away unfortunately, but ecstatic to be in the Champions League Final. :D

I hope you have good weather for the game so you might play the Italy tactic ;) + remember to use the defensive fullback against Barca's 4-1-2-2-1. Good luck in the final...:)

Next match: Away to West Ham, Premier League, Dry, Liverpool Evens (fav)

Started Italy10, West Ham 442 with wide diamond, i.e. a Mr and ML and AMC and DM. Closing down OIs on DM and AMC. Missing Torres and Mascherano through injury and suspension.

First half: West Ham made a good start and were putting pressure on me from the off for first 10 mins. They had not looked massively dangerous but remembering the importance of this game, the one sided nature of the first 10 mins, and what happened against Bolton, I switched up to Sacchi14. On 15 mins a great incisive move was finished into the corner by Maxi Rodriguez. 0-1 Liverpool.

On 19 mins A carragher header from a corner just sailed over the bar. West Ham just wide with a 35 yd shot on 24 mins. Great Green save from a StevieG shot from 14 yds on 25 mins. Green saves a Kuyt header on 29 mins before a dangerous ball across my 6 yard box from right was cleared by Johnson for corner on 30 mins. West Ham head over from a cross that came from my clearance from the corner. StevieG misses a great 1on1 chance from left side of box on 38 mins. Reina save from West Ham striker shooting in box and then Cabanas shoots over for Liverpool on 45 mins.

Half Time: West Ham 0 Liverpool 1

Second half: West Ham start well and force a good save from Reina from the off before Dzeko races away on 46 mins and blasts straight at keeper from an ok angle. I construct a beautiful move from my own corner flag to put Dzeko 1on1 on keeper and his shot is pushed behind for a corner from which Dzeko rises to power a header in! 0-2 Liverpool on 50 mins. I immediately remove fwd runs and dribbling from full backs and set cross from to deep but on 55 mins concede a goal from Mido's nice finish from edge of box. 1-2 Liverpool. I then switch down to Allegri6 and remove fwd runs and dribbling from full backs and set cross from to deep. Cabanas hits bar with header on 67 mins. I have looked a little better after switch to Allegri6 but still not sure. I conceded a goal to Carlton Cole on 83 mins and immediately switched to Sacchi14 but to no avail.

Full time: West Ham 2 Liverpool 2

A draw that has probably cost me the title now. :(

Next match: Home to Sunderland, Premier League, Wet and Windy, Liverpool 1-5 (fav)

Started Milan15, Sunderland 442

First half: I dominate hitting the bar from StevieG on 8 mins. I'm maybe just the better team, Sunderland are having decent spells. On 19 mins I get a penalty, to be taken by Kuyt. 1-0 Liverpool. Good save from Reina on 22 mins from Sunderland shot, Dzeko shoots into keepers arms weakly on 25 mins. On 27 mins Gerrard, from a central free kick 20 yds out finds the top corner. 2-0 Liverpool. Needless to say, I have the latest scores on during the match and Man City (who are top of league now from me by 2 points are only drawing 0-0 at moment - this is the last match of the season). Dzeko runs onto a through ball in right side of box and fires a terric strike into top corner at near post. 3-0 Liverpool on 31 mins. I dominate the rest of the half and could have had a couple more goals. On a sour note, Barry scores for Man City against West Ham at Eastlands on 42 mins. That would be enough to give them the title.

Half time: Liverpool 3 Sunderland 0

Second half: I still dominate the game and on 62 mins Maxi Rodriguez rounds off a nice move with a neat finish. 4-0 Liverpool. Man City still lead West Ham 1-0. I am still in control. West Ham player Cana sent off on 69 mins. Wish it was a MAn City player that had been sent off in their game. Riera makes it 5-0 on 80 mins. I had hit woodwork 3 times. This could have been 10! Man City still leading 1-0.

Full time: Liverpool 5 Sunderland 0

Man City win 1-0 to win Premier League on last day by 2 points from Liverpool.

A draw that has probably cost me the title now. :(

I would say it is hard to say exactly what might have cost you the titel when reflecting back on the whole season. Was it the shakey start? or was it one of those games where things didn't quite go your way as in the Bolton game. To analyse what could have got you a little closer might be down to changing to other formations for that rare game that comes about from time to time. If you take the West Ham game for example then since they use an Attacking Midfielder it might have been a better option to start out with the 4-1-2-2-1_Queiroz_(10) - which is the same Mentality framework as Italy, or was it a case of using a Mentality (13) for the match.

To look at the positives I think you have progressed in how to tackle situations (for example you made correct analysis of certain games post match) and this can only be good for future seasons/games. On top of that, you have the experience of getting into finals and are mounting a serious titel challenge, I can only imagine the bigger your reputation becomes in tact with your squad quality then it won't be long before you will take that final step. Liverpool are a team that needs a little work here and there so I don't think you have underperformed overall. I think from here you need to concentrate on getting quicker/class centerbacks as you have a couple of players that will struggle when you want to play High Pressure tactics (the reason you may feel uncomfortable using them). This element + the occasional tactical formation change to eleminate opposition 'threats' might just bring you that much closer...:thup:

Thanks for your kind words Loversleaper. I'm gutted but pleased as to how the season has gone so far if you know what I mean. I have made mistakes but I feel I have also learned and although I have dropped a few more points than before, (albeit on 10.2) I feel have played more from 'knowing' compared to good fortune and blind playing than before.

Next match: Away to Barcelona, Champions League Final, Dry, Barcelona 6-4 (fav)

Started Athletico11. Barcelona 41221, Closing down OIs on DM and AML, AMR. Lost StevieG 5 days before final with hamstring injury.

Prematch teamtalk: For the Fans

First half: Barcelona in virtually complete control apart from a couple of (very) brief spell from me. Having said that Reina has not been massively stretched - I don't remember 1 really good save tht he has had to make.

Half time: Barcelona 0 Liverpool 0

Half time teamtalk: Disappointed on 8 players with 6.7 rating or below, other 3 players were 6.8, said have faith.

Second half: From the off, Torres nearly scores with a great chance that the keeper somehow gets a hand to, to put just wide of post. 54 mins, Ibrahimovic breaks free and thunders his shot past Reina. 1-0 Barcelona. Despite that goal and 1 other piece of brief pressure from Barcelona, I have had a degree of control on the game. 65 mins, free kick to Liverpool level with 6 yard box about 1 yd from edge of penalty area on left side. Aquilani takes and crosses to Torres who finds the net easily from a free bullet header. 1-1. Barcelona regain control again and apart from the odd break away it's all Barcelona so on 75 mins, bring on young winger and move Maxi Rodriguez from left to centre left of midfield, taking Aquilani (in at start for Gerrard) off who is tired and carrying an injury.

Still Barcelona in control. On 87 mins a cross is played into my box which I head out and then punt upfield from deep inside my half to half way inside Barcelona half between their last 2 defenders and goalie. Dzeko is running along side their last 2 defenders. Valdez (keeper) heads ball clear but it goes straight to Dzeko who heads it first time over keeper's head from 40 yds out with the ball coming to rest 6 yds out in front of an open goal. It becomes a race between Dzeko and a Barcelona defender. GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!! 1-2 Liverpool with 2 mins + injury time to go. Immediately switch to Aguirre6 and recheck OIs to make sure they match up to DM, AMR and AML. Barcelona put me under pressure but I wasted time with 2 substitutions and a couple of spells of possession, 1 culminating in a Riera run down the wing after 15 passes starting from deep in my half. Despite the ref adding an extra 90 seconds to the allotted injury time of 3 mins (happens a lot when AI is behind and yet no when you are hmmm) Liverpool have done it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full time: Barcelona 1 Liverpool 2

Liverpool have won the Champions League against Barcelon defying the pre match odds. Got a deserved break there I feel. Barcelona had an off day in terms of finishing and that final ball. I defended resolutely, got a deserved equaliser and got very lucky with a freak winner against the run of play. Held out reasonably comfortably after that.

Get in there :):D:thup:

Dedication for this triumph: Loversleaper for all the kind help and assistance and damn right good advice. :thup:

Season Review:

League Cup: Lost in final 2-0 to Man City after extra time.

FA Cup: Lost in 3rd round 3-0 at Anfield in replay with Stoke.

Premier League: 2nd on 84 points (w25 d9 l4 gf86 ga33 gd53) 2 points behind Man City - blew a 3 point lead with 4 comparitively simple games remaining. City's run at end included away wins at Arsenal and Man Utd, but it was in my hands and I blew it. That being said, after being 18th on 2 points after 4 games I only lost 2 for the rest of the season which is good.

Champions League: Winners, 'nuff said!

Hope these match reports have helped...

Grokaer: I'd say that's a fine season. Take a deep breath and start preparing for the next one!

I'd like to echo what Loversleaper said about having additional tactics available. After using his single striker tactics exclusively over the past two seasons and just coming short of some silverware, I've committed to using all the tactics as needed. A good example is a game I just played this morning against Liverpool (sorry!). Pregame input says they struggle against the 442 and slow tempo. The game is at Anfield (I'm a slight favorite) and I choose Allegri6 and control the game from start to finish, winning 3-0.

Now, I may not use the Allegri6 the rest of the season but I do know it was the right formation for this day. If I used a 4231 formation (which are typically wider) I may not have controlled the game the way I did and perhaps settled for a draw. Instead, I got all 3 points and that could be the difference between 2nd and 1st.

My Newcastle squad are off to a good start 5-1-0 in the EPL. I've won my first game in the League Cup and my first game in the CL group stage over Austria Wien, 4-1. I actually rested some players for the Austria Wien game so I could be at full strength for the Liverpool game.

Thanks Beardeye and Melogroovy, and thanks for your valued input.

I'm delighted with the CL win. A bit disappointed with my board who have my job security at 46% and are unhappy about the F.A. Cup (in comment on boardroom screen) and my rating for the premier league competition is 40% the board are say they are "disappointed to only qualify for the Champions League through participation in the Premier League" - this puzzles me (and always has) that my aim at start of season was to "challenge for the title" - I thought finishing 2nd, 2 points away and actually looking like winning it from January time till 2 games to go satisfies that initial boardroom requirement so I don't understand the comment the board make re premier league?:confused:

I think you are right Melogroovy, I'll bear that in mind.

Keep playing well both of you.

Thanks Beardeye and Melogroovy, and thanks for your valued input.

I'm delighted with the CL win. A bit disappointed with my board who have my job security at 46% and are unhappy about the F.A. Cup (in comment on boardroom screen) and my rating for the premier league competition is 40% the board are say they are "disappointed to only qualify for the Champions League through participation in the Premier League" - this puzzles me (and always has) that my aim at start of season was to "challenge for the title" - I thought finishing 2nd, 2 points away and actually looking like winning it from January time till 2 games to go satisfies that initial boardroom requirement so I don't understand the comment the board make re premier league?:confused:

I think you are right Melogroovy, I'll bear that in mind.

Keep playing well both of you.

I'm not sure but you might want to wait until the next month to see how the Board feels about you. I don't think the Board's opinion changes in real time. Maybe they wait until the first of the month or have had a meeting to update their opinion.

And the board and/or the fans will always be disappointed in something. That's another area of the game that needs some looking into...

does the 442 work with patch 10.3 and do u think it suit corinthians in brazil?

These tactics work fine with 10.3. I don't know the squad well enough to advise you. I will say that any of the tactics will work and work well if you take the time to use them properly.

Update on my Newcastle save. The club has been wracked by injuries and at times, I've had to start my 6th striker. My top striker, Welliton, was out for 4 weeks, got healthy and I put him in for the last 30 minutes of his first match back to get him some match fitness and he injures his ankle and is out for four more weeks. Harris Vuckic gets pressed into duty in the midfield in early December and in late December he breaks his leg and is out for 5-6 months. Two days later he win "young Player of the Month" for December. It's been that kind of year. Injuries and an incredibly congested schedule have left me with the best option on two occasions to rest my entire available starting XI. Against weaker opposition, I've had a win and a draw by playing at the low end of the Master Class options.

Still, the club are in 1st in the Premiership by 7 points with a record of 15-4-2. We've won the home leg of League Cup semifinal against Tottenham. Fourth round FA action saw us draw at home against a Blackburn squad we should have beaten but my patchwork squad struggled to a scoreless draw. I almost wish I'd lost as the schedule seesm to grind on with a game every 3-4 days. Anyways, on to my Champions League experience. I lost my first group game away to Leverkusen. I lost 2-1 and have lost all three CL games I've played against them. I can almost expect to lose that game to them. Next I play Austria Wien at home and win going away 4-1. next up are Juventus at home but just three days before them I have an EPL game at Old Trafford. ManU struggale against 442 and slow tempo so I select 442Allegri and we grind out a drab 0-1 victory. We then host Juventus who are similar to ManU as far as weaknesses. I play the 442SirAlex and Matt Derbyshire scores in the 2nd minute and the next 90 minutes was pure rollercoaster with thrills and chills and spills and woodwork and last gasp saves and tackles. When it was over, I was on the edge of my seat and we were 1-0 winners. I switched to Allegri6 around the 70th and then did the FB tweak around the 80th, btw.

Then it all kind of fell apart. Against Juventus a week later, I selected Allegri6 for the away match. This would be a crucial match and if I won or tied, I'm sure to go through to the knockout stage. If I lose, it'll be tough. I'd have to beat Leverkusen at home and have to win big at Austria Wien. I never had a chance. Juventus score twice in the first 10 minutes, Danny Guthrie picks up a knock, Papastathopolous picks up a couple of yellows and we slide to a disheartening 0-3 loss. Newcastle and Juventus are now equal on points but we are two goals down on GD both in the group and head to head. I need some major help. Next up is away to Austria Wien and I field a weakened squad who play horribly in an 0-2 loss. It would be Austria Wien's only win the group. Juventus lose to Leverkusen but even if we beat Leverkusen at home I need Austria Wien to beat Juve in Stadio Olimpico. Juve wins big, I draw with Leverkusen and just like that I'm dumped from the CL in the group stage after making the quarterfinals and then semifinals in successive years.

I'm not sure what, if anything, I could have done. The Juve loss was the whole key, IMO, and I got smoked in the first 10 minutes and the game was gone. The first game at home, I stuck with my assman's OI which were to play to weaker foot and tight marking on both strikers. They had so many good opportunities in that first game, I took off the tight marking OI in the second game and both of them each spun a defender off them and beat my keeper one on one just two minutes apart. Losing wasn't so bad but losing 0-3 really hurt and pretty much doomed me in the group. Losing 0-2 to Austria Wien was a kick in the nuts though and although my squad was depleted (playing 3rd and 4th striker) I should have done better. I'm in the Europ Cup though and have drawn Rapid Wien for the first knockout stage and intend to get some revenge on an Austrian squad.

melogroovy: I noticed that you didn't mention which strategy you used for the Austria Wien game (away). Generally you suffer if you are changing out players from game to game, I noticed that (especially) strikers need to have a couple of games in the squad before they start scoring. I have experienced similar things from time to time and usually you need to work your way out of it, when your form drops sometimes you almost have to back to the basics and play more cautiously & direct. You also didn't say how the moral in the squad is at the present time or how many of the players you are using are basically untested (ungelled).

Fielding your best team can 'feel' a lot different (on the ME) then a lot of exciting untested players, my advice is to play more direct (lethal touch style) and not worry about possession too much untill you get your team back on track. I am sure that anybody using their 6th striker (or even their 3rd & 4th choices) will suffer a little, and it looks like you had to do all this at a crutial time in the season - bad luck. If you have injurie prone players you need to change them out (sadly) and it's one thing I do look at (injury history) just to check my next possible buy - it could influence if I do get him or not!...

Loversleaper: I played the 4411 McLeish7. My 3rd striker (Craciun)was the starter for the 3rd game in a row (although the previous two were 442) and after a 5.2 in the 1st half and already down 0-2, I subbed him out. I also have to mention that my right winger, Pedro Leon has been unhappy this season and although his rating were respectable (~7.10)to start, the last couple of months were declining. Both my wingers have always been effective cutting and scoring for me but lately Leon has tailed off. I thought it had been due to the fact that all the injuries were screwing things up but then i got this question in a press conference and sure enough, although his morale is superb he no longer felt comfortable playing for me. It's into January and I have since sold him and brought in a 24 yo Brazilian by the name of Bernardo (not a regen). My 3rd striker, Craciun, kind of crumbled under the pressure so I've bought a replacement (Mchelidze) and am shopping Craciun. So there are a lot of moving parts to this. Morale after the Austria Wien game was declining but a couple of scrappy wins propped them back up.

My players generally aren't injury prone, especially Welliton who has been a rock for me since I got him over 3 years ago. I tend to stay away from injury prone guys as I typically like to play as close to a steady eleven as I possibly can. It's just one of those things. While I might be disappointed about my early exit from the CL, I'm ecstatic about the way I've played through these injuries in the EPL. My goal this year was hardware and, despite it all, i still have a shot at 4 trophies: I'm strong first in the EPL, one game away from the League Cup final, still alive in FA Cup and now in the Europa Cup after dropping from the CL. And, I'm getting healthy. Guthrie is fit, Javi Garcia is back soon after 8 weeks. Welliton will be back in a week and back up LB Stephen O'Halloran will be back after 6 weeks. The best news is that I got to see some kids like Bas Konterman (regen) who was given a start after Javi Garcia went out (MC/DM) and couldn't be forced out of the first team. He's only 20 but he acquitted himself well and while he will step back when Garcia returns...he's my DM/MC of the future. I don't look at CA and PA at all but judging by his growth, he'll be a stud. He's good enough to keep starting right now but Garcia is slightly better yet. Vuckic was looking sharp too. Not enough to start but a decent situational substitute.

My plan for this season was to play deeper into my squad and to get away from riding some players too hard. I also wanted to implement the full range of your tactics so I have used just about everything this year, ie: tending to a 442 when my CM are getting worn or a single ST formation when my strikers are thin. I mean, it was getting to the point where some guys were at 87-89% for the start of a game. No way I'm playing them. So I'm sure that injuries + playing more tactics/formations has taken a toll on the gelling. I'm hoping that as January winds down, I can get a more set lineup and make spot starts for guys as opposed to the wholesale changes because of fatigue. Just having Welliton in there for every game will be a huge boost I think. If he's not scoring, he's setting someone else up to score, it seems.

Firstly melogroovy, I hope you get your revenge against the Austrian side.

I still think you have done really well despite all the trials and tribulations you have suffered.

I am about to start my 2nd season now after a break for a day or two and will keep updating on my progress from time to time.

I will be starting this season with an even more ungelled squad as I have made a few signings to redress 1 or 2 things. I wanted to get more pace into my defence and from my first season I already had Otamendi (pace and acceleration = 14 which isn't bad) but he is not fully ready yet so I bought Papastathopolous for about 11.5M GBP (pace and acceleration = 15). How has he been for you?

Another query is that during the gelling stage, if you are playing guys that have been at the club a year or longer (not just signed) does the AI still react in the way it would if your squad is not gelled or does that only come into play if some of the newer players are in your starting 11?

I have bought some more youngsters to bring through, sold a couple that I bought in my first season for a good profit. That's kind of the way I feel I need to work given the financial constraints on Liverpool (although it appears that it is easier to get around those constraints to a degree on FM than in real life). I basically try and sell as many of my players for cash up front, buy everyone over 4 years and of the youth players I buy, I already know that some will make it and some will just improve to a degree that other teams come in for them and I make a profit.

I have loaded up the full set of tactics poroduced by Loversleaper this year so they are at my disposal rather than rigidly sticking to 442.

Grokaer: Papastathopolous has been very solid for me. Good pace and accel, excellent anticipation and good positioning and he doesn't give away dumb fouls. He's good in the air and I don't think he's had any injury of note. I got him a year later and paid 17M GBP.

As far as gelling, my experience is that the new guys will occasionally misplay passes or be slightly out of position. It shouldn't be drastic but enought for you to notice every now and then.

Ok, Season 2 kicked off tonight and I played my first game against Sheffield United away. I am going to update on my season but not after every game like last year.

I did however want to share an insight into how my approach has now evolved thanks to the help I have had on this forum, especially from loversleaper and melogroovy. Perhaps this may help others but its all prretty simple and has been mentioned by others already. Previously I would have looked at my current form, match odds, whether I was home or away and weather and played a 442 based on these factors.

Here are the points I considered -

My pre match meeting made no mention of a formation that Sheffield United play well or struggle against. No mention of tempo or defensive line that they struggle with. It's all about Liverpool having better dribblers than Sheffield Utd etc.

My Scout report says Sheffield Utd are likely to play 442 and have a short pitch, congested etc.

The preview on my fixtures tells me it is dry and I am 4-7 fav for the match.

I have new players from summer transfers - perhaps have to be very slightly cautious and no form guide as it is game 1 of new season.

Playing away from home as a Master Class team against what I presume will be a Relegation battler.

I have a big squad but quite a few injuries - Dzeko (ST [stronger, good header striker]), Mascherano (DM), Glen Johnson (DR), Serge Aurier (Glen Johnson's DR deputy), Cabanas (ST [stronger, good header striker - backup to Dzeko]), Ochoa (Gk - Reina deputy instead of Cavalieri who I sold in summer)

I decide 442 (match up formations) and go for Italy10 flavour - good on short pitch and more cautious than Ranieri13 in case of gelling issues. No OIs as I only use them with players playing in a different strata to my players.

Basically I lined up:

Reina

Carragher Papastathopolous Sakho Insua

Sanchez Sissoko (Moussa) Gerrard Craig (Regen)

Torres Paloschi (bought in summer as backup for Torres until youngsters Lukaka and Sanago improve)

5 new signings in. Hence the gelling concern. Both DCs making debut - wasn't planned but had to move Carragher to DR due to first 2 DR choices out, my third choice doesn't have a permit (Russian regen on loan to Genk). Also young, apart from Gerrard, Reina, Carragher and Torres - no-one over 22.

Anyway, ran out comfortable 3-0 winners - around 65 mins it seemed that Sheffield Utd were getting progressively closer to scoring during a 10 min. spell so switched to Allegri6, didn't bother with full back tweak. Comfortably saw game out then. :D

I’m gonna post some matches, because my results suck and this might be helpful for more persons. I play with Valencia, 442, because I want to play Villa and Zigic. I removed roam from position from Villa and put it on Silva instead, because he is better at playing in a free role. Further I change one or two through ball, run with ball and crossing instructions, but nothing major. For team talks I use have faith(and expect performance when assistant reports complacency). Got this from a topic from Zero, and from a psychological point of view this is by far the best option in real life.

First match:

Valencia(1,57fav)- Rosenborg , dry weather, SirAlex(15), they play 442 diamond, so close down on their amc

Not much going on until 9th minute. A player loses the ball in midfield, my central defender decides to close down on their MR who can put a through ball to the striker who is now completely free and scores the one on one(strangely, this one is not counted as a clear cut chance(CCC).

30th minute: a good attack brings the ball from Mata(ML) to Silva(MC) to Albelda(other MC) who scores the one on one. Nothing happens until half time.

60th minute, after a dribble of Joaqin, a through ball from Silva gives Mata a close range opportunity: 2-1. I substitute 74 and 76% players and remove fwd runs/rwb of full backs and tick on cross from deep. We get two more CCC’s and in injury time we score 3-1, punishing a defensive mistake.

full time: 3-1

Getafe(2,25 fav)-Valencia.

We are underdogs, but also the better team, so I start with Italy(10) (breezy weather). 442 diamond so I close down on their AMC.

12th minute: My Villa is injured, my best player, damn.

14th minute: Throw in to their DMC who gives the ball to the DR who scores from just outside the box, my defender didn’t feel like marking him. Let’s close down on their DMC as well now…

24th minute, Mata misses close range one on one following a through ball.

58th minute: substitute 73% players, thinking about going more attacking, but decides to wait a little longer.

68th minute: I’m not creating anything, so I go for Brazil(13).

71st minute: free kick, 2-0 game over?

76th minute: 2-1, good shot in the box from a difficult angle.

83rd minute: all out 424, thought about doing before, but commentary said Getafe started playing more attacking immediate after 2-1.

86th minute: Villa’s replacement Dominguez is also injured…

91st minute: clear cut chance, no goal, so I lost 3rd league match in a row despite have 2 CCC’s and them none.

full time 2-1

Valencia(2.25 fav)- Bilbao, breezy,drizzle, Milan(15), 4231 so close down on AMRLC.

18th minute: their MC misses CCC after through ball from AMC

31st minute: cross from Mathieu(DL) and Zigic headed the ball from close range, 1-0. Immediately after kick off, Villa misses a ccc.

half time: remove fwd runs, run w ball from full backs and cross from deep

57th minute: Banega score from the corner of the box, 2-0.

69th minute: substitute Zigic(72%), change to 4231 Spalleti, because I got no decent strikers left except Villa.

71st minute: Villa hits the post, but in the next attack we score 3-0

full time: 3-1: we were the better team

Loversleaper: I played the 4411 McLeish7.

Okay, I think this would be the first part of the problem in the game against Austria. I would have personally used the 4-2-3-1_Benitez_(10) from the start of the game, & if I felt that it wasn't making enough impact then I would have switched up to the 4-2-3-1_Spalletti_(14) at some point in the match (around the 60th minute).

I think it is a case that you need to play a more balanced type of Mentality for your away games, if your squad is strong enough you might even have to play this way against teams like Juventus (it will happen at one point in time). Switch down to protect leads. As an alternative you could use tactics like Allegri or Aguirre and tweak them to the 4-4-1-1 formation if you feel that the McLeish is too open - it is in reality an adventurous away tactic.

So, my advice is to use the Benitez for your away games (especially against teams you should beat) and switch up or down depending on how you are doing...:thup:

Valencia(2.25 fav)- Bilbao, breezy,drizzle, Milan(15), 4231 so close down on AMRLC.

18th minute: their MC misses CCC after through ball from AMC

31st minute: cross from Mathieu(DL) and Zigic headed the ball from close range, 1-0. Immediately after kick off, Villa misses a ccc.

half time: remove fwd runs, run w ball from full backs and cross from deep

57th minute: Banega score from the corner of the box, 2-0.

69th minute: substitute Zigic(72%), change to 4231 Spalleti, because I got no decent strikers left except Villa.

71st minute: Villa hits the post, but in the next attack we score 3-0

full time: 3-1: we were the better team

Hi faraow: first of all I would like to point out that playing the 4-4-2 exclusively in Spain might cause a few problems due to opponents using Attacking Midfielders and/or pushed up Wingers. It is a daring disposition but not impossible, but you need to follow the Mentality 'rules' and make the right tweaks. Personally, I wouldn't tamper with the settings such as free roles - but this is not for me to decide (of course). On another note I never use OI's and use more formations and Mentality to combat the AI.

Personally I think that the 4-1-2-2-1 set would be more suitable for Valencia:

Home most matches: 4-1-2-2-1_Guardiola_(18) - Mourinho_(15) in the tougher games.

Away favorites: Queiroz_(10)

Away underdogs (like the Getafe game): 4-1-4-1_Tapia_(7).

These tactics work basically in any type of weather and this would be the simplest way to get the best out of Valencia IMO. If you need any help for games comming up just post a short description and we can take a look at the different aspects:).

Thank you for the positive reaction!

Now I'm about to play a game against Atletico Madrid, they play 442, so I'm thinking about sticking to my 442 as well. I have thought about playing 41221, but on the other hand Villa and Zigic are both playing good. I will defenitely use 41221 against the next opposition with an AMC.

About the free roles: my reasoning was that I don't Villa to roam around, he needs to be there where he is dangerous: in the box. Silva on the other hand should be allowed to search for space so that he can use his creativity. But I don't know if this will mess up the tactic.

By the way, how did you found out about the "overall values"?

Okay, I think this would be the first part of the problem in the game against Austria. I would have personally used the 4-2-3-1_Benitez_(10) from the start of the game, & if I felt that it wasn't making enough impact then I would have switched up to the 4-2-3-1_Spalletti_(14) at some point in the match (around the 60th minute).

I think it is a case that you need to play a more balanced type of Mentality for your away games, if your squad is strong enough you might even have to play this way against teams like Juventus (it will happen at one point in time). Switch down to protect leads. As an alternative you could use tactics like Allegri or Aguirre and tweak them to the 4-4-1-1 formation if you feel that the McLeish is too open - it is in reality an adventurous away tactic.

So, my advice is to use the Benitez for your away games (especially against teams you should beat) and switch up or down depending on how you are doing...:thup:

Excellent. Thanks again LL.

Archived