The Football Manager Tactics Podcast - updated for every show

The first episode of the FM-Britain Football Tactics Video has finally arrived!

Episode one covers defence in the midfield, and looks at the problems caused when the wings and the centre of the midfield are exposed. Learn how to spot the problem and also how to solve it with analysis of viewer’s matches.

Watch the video now!

Defending needs to be done all over the pitch – it is not simply a case of picking the right four players at the back. Defending the midfield is vital in reducing the amount of chances the opposition can create.

As the examples in this video demonstrate, allowing the opposition too much space on the wings can cause major problems. But it is also important to make sure the team doesn’t leave massive holes in the centre of the field.

The solutions, as discussed, can include the following:

• Using Opposition Instructions on the opposition’s wing players – full backs and wingers.
  • Using Opposition Instructions on the opposition’s central midfielders – MCs, DMCs and/or AMCs.
  • Playing more players in the centre of the park – such as playing three central midfielders
  • Using touchline instructions to tell the team to play narrower so that the centre of the field isn’t left empty.

If you have any follow up questions, or would like the Think Tank team to look over any of your match files, send your PKMs to thinktank@fm-britain.co.uk.

The tactics video is excellent- and the perfect format for explaining how to read the match engine. Especially for people like myself who struggle with it.

i will now look out for this "dual problem" and be able to solve it by:

a) playing a 5 midfield; and

b) closing down wingers and full backs.

Thanks again- these videos should go a long way in bridging the gap of tactical knowledge so often discussed in these forums. I look forward to the next one!

Yes, perhaps that should have been more clear. The dual problem needs to be tackled with both option a AND option b.

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to get another one up in a fortnight's time, so I need to keep an eye out for another tactical issue I can highlight in the video. If you've noticed anything, feel free to e-mail me and I'll try to take a look.

Yep millie once again i salute you. A very good video. I came face to face with the same issue with the centre midfielders and wingers... A bit of a pain to cover both areas but i found that if i pushed my defensive line up it started to give them alot less space.

As a long time follower of the game who has been left behind slightly by the game/match engine this is a really good idea and very much appreciated.

Will it be possible to subscribe via itunes? I searched for it but could only find the show from a few years back with no episodes listed.

GetSacked! is back the Football Manager tactics podcast from FM-Britain. We answer your questions about everything FM related, including:

• Playing people out of position – is this a good idea or not?
  • Different playing styles – how well does Football Manager cope with the diversity of world football?
  • And tackling percentages – what do they mean and how can you improve them?

Plus, we discuss real life football and how it relates to the game, answer more of your questions in the quick-hits section, and general footballing goodness. All on GetSacked! The Football Manager Tactics Podcast.

Listen to the show right now!

Send your questions to us via:

And we also keep track of the goings on in the various scene forums!

With thanks, as ever, to those who submitted the questions for this week: Mark Nash, Skomybg, SFraser, Football Manager Fanboys author Julius

Plus, a big, big thank you to FM-Manifest and FM-Ita for their foreign language translations of Tactical Theorems ‘10 into French and Italian respectively.

Download the French version here.

Download the Italian version here.

Good Stuff, Millie could I request maybe a section of the audio or video podcast devoted towards teamtalks and what to do in each scenario because I'm finding them a complete pain in the backside, almost every one seems to translate to "go out in the second half and implode spectacularly".

Thanks to Mille and TND for replying to my question in podcast 2.

1) How many CCC does my team needs to create per game? If I don't create any CCC, does that mean my tactic is not good enough?

2) And what's the use of backrooms advices like 'we tend to score our goals between '30-45 min' or 'we tend to concede between the '60-70th min'?

Well done on the podcast :) It's very informative and I'm sure it will help a lot of people. However, one small point.

Stop being so cynical about people who don't understand the match engine, or who claim the AI is cheating. It's their way of expressing their frustration. There is no point at all in taking the **** out of them.

Probably what they mean when they say the AI is cheating is that the AI knows all of the stats (it is a computer, by trade it's a number cruncher) and knows exactly how to stop these things. Where as we don't.

Other than that, great podcast.

• 2 weeks later...

FM Tactics Video - Episode 2: Playing different formations

Episode two of the Football Manager Tactics Video is now ready to view. Having put on a few pounds with the Christmas turkey and New Year’s Eve celebrations, Millie takes a look at what can happen when the opposition plays a different formation to your team.

View the video here

Because for some reason iTunes STILL haven't updated the feed. :@

If you go to the podcast page, you can download the MP3 file, which you can then put on whichever portable MP3 device you choose. Far from ideal, but a work around until Apple get their act together.

FM Tactics Video - Episode 2: Playing different formations

Episode two of the Football Manager Tactics Video is now ready to view. Having put on a few pounds with the Christmas turkey and New Year’s Eve celebrations, Millie takes a look at what can happen when the opposition plays a different formation to your team.

View the video here

Great stuff :)

• 3 months later...

Millie actually had his laptop fried this past week, so he's waiting on it being fixed... but we've already talked before about starting up some fresh new podcasts soon. Don't you worry about it, dude!

Archived