To Faroe or Fail Miserably

ptfc_kev

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Uffe Johansson:

I´m really impressed by your run. I have never had any luck trying to coach a minor country. I can´t get the defensive minded tactic that is needed to work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the problems I have found is that my team is more attack minded than is perhaps healthy. Although this tends to work for the home games, the 7-0 demolition in France does highlight the weaknesses of such an approach. I think I shall be contemplating a more defensive approach for away games in the future!!

Torshavn Times

December 2005

Faroe Islands in Dream Land

The past 18 months have been a rollercoaster of highs and lows for the long-suffering fans of the Faroe Islands national football team. However, although normally condemned to the depths of depression and routinely held to be the whipping boys of Europe, things are beginning to change.

The Faroese FA received far ranging criticism for the appointment of a relatively unknown manager to the position of national coach, but the boldness of their decision was matched only by their vision for the future, and even now, some many years ahead of schedule, things are beginning to look quite favourable for the national squad. Even in this short space of time, the manager has exceeded any possible expectations, guiding the team to an exceptionally respectable 4th place in their World Cup qualification group. But greater still, he has earned the respect of the players and the fans, and has provided a steady platform upon which he can build and mould the squad into a team that can compete on the national stage.

Of course, the players' feet are being firmly kept on the ground. Speaking exclusively to our reporter, the normally media shy national manager Kev offered his wise consul:

"Things must be taken one step at a time. Naturally, I am delighted with the forward progress made by the team in such a short space of time. The 2 victories against Switzerland and Cyprus were memorable nights, but they must be balanced against the humiliation in Paris and some other unfortunate results. Although we have done incredibly well to get to where we are, people should not forget that we are a small nation and that we must always work hard to achieve results on the national stage. I will always be reminding my players of this".

Although clearly trying to ensure that there are no delusions of grandeur, the optimism towards the national team is now reaching that of a frenzy amongst the most passionate of Faroese supporters, with some even beliving qualification for a national tournament may be possible.

"This is a long term plan here at the Faroe Islands", remarked Kev. "I have the full backing of the FA and am here for many years to come. We have given ourselves a good chance of showing Europe what we can do, and if we continue to get respectable finishes in the group matches, then maybe, just maybe, we can work our way up the seedings and have the opportunity to face 'beatable' opponents".

Speaking ahead of the Euro 2008 qualifiers, "Our previous performances have perhaps made life a bit easier for us. But all the matches are going to be extremely difficult and i expect nothing less than 100% from the players in each and every game. If they do that, I cant ask for any more and can only hope results go in our favour".

These should be exciting times ahead, and everyone on the Islands wishes the team all the very best for 2006.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fc Denderleeuw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Wales

Belarus

FAROE ISLANDS

Azerbaijan

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 th place possible..?

KUTGW icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Id like to think we could see off Azerbaijan. Wales however, having finished rather well in their World Cup qualification will be a tough contest. I have not looked much at Belarus yet, but I would expect those games to be tough as well, particularly the away trip. Fingers crosse tho!!

• 2 weeks later...

Squad to Face Moldova Announced

Speaking at a press conference this morning, the Faroese manager outlined the squad of 26 men he was taking to Moldova as he began the first of 3 matches warming up to the opening match of the 2008 European Championships Qualifying campaign. Although denied the services of Jan Andreassen and Aslakur Petersen through injury, Kevin still believed there was strength and depth in the squad.

"I have spoken to each player selected and I know that I have their 100% committment to the national sqaud. The loss of Jan and Aslakur is disappointing but their replacements should not unsettle the balance of the squad. Hopefully the 26 man squad also sends out a message as well. A number of uncapped players have been brought in, and a player for the u19s promoted. If nothing else, I would like to think that there should be incentives for all players hoping to make the national squad".

The full squad reads as:

Goalkeepers

Jakup Mikkelsen (Huddersfield) 48 caps

Gunnar Nielsen (Frem) 2

Magnus Poulsen (B36) uncapped

Defenders

Atli Danielsen (KI) uncapped (promoted from u21s)

Oli Johannesen (Dessel) 54

Jens Kristian Hansen (B36) 51

Hans Frooi Hansen (Padova) 33

Johannis Joensen (Al Gharrafa) 24

Simun Joensen (KI) 10

Poul Ennigaro (GI) 5

Johann Davidsen (Real Betis) uncapped - (promoted from u19s)

Midfielders

Allan Morkore (B36) 58

Frooi Benjaminsen (B68) 27

Rogvi Jacobsen (HB) 22

Barour Mortansson (B36) 16

Mikkjal Thomassen (Besancon) 16

Claus Jorgensen (Oldham) 15

Jann Ingi Petersen (Vikingur) 11

Palli Augustinussen (VB) 2

Hallur Danielsen (HB) 2

Petur Oli Samuelsen (Vikingur) uncapped

Attackers

Jakup a Borg (B36) 57

Todi Jonsson (FC Kobenhavn) 57

Hjalgrim Elttor (KI) 26

Andrew av Flotum (Fremad Amager) 22

Vinjard Dam (GI) 5

Moldova v Faroe Islands

Wednesday 8 Feb 2006

Chisinau

Ref: Mike Riley

Att: 15 768

Yet again the preparations for this match were unsettled by injury and another withdrawal in the form of key DMC Mikkjal Thomassen. In his place uncapped Aki Mork from IF was drafted in. In the media, Davidsen expects a very close game.

The match itself was rather disappointing as a spectacle, and a very scrapy affair as both teams attempted to assert some hold on the game. The first half offered little in terms of goal mouth action, although it was painfully obvious that if anyone was in control it was Moldova. Reaching half time without conceding was a success.

A formation change and a number of substitutes at half time did little to bolster the miserably little fire power there was going forward and the team continued to offer little. It was no surprise then when Bogdan turned home a cross from 6 yards out to open the scoring in 62 minutes.

The game then started to fizzle out, although another tactical switch did result in some more shots at goal, but ultimately the experience in Moldova was concerning given that the euro 2008 qualifying matches are not far ahead. At the same time, it was again a learning experience and it demonstrated that continued tactical changes (as was the case in the 2nd half) could do more harm than good at times. More thought will have to be given to the tactics for away matches.

Moldova 1 Faroe Islands 0

XI: Mikkelsen; J Hansen, Ennigaro, H Hansen, J Joensen; Mortansson (Augustinussen 46), Jorgensen, Benjaminsen (Mork 46), Jacobsen (Danielsen 58); a Borg (Dam 52), Jonsson (Flotum 46)

Within the next few weeks I received intimation from the Football Association of the list of opponents and dates for the upcoming qualification group, as well as confirmation regarding one of the friendly matches. Instead of facing Switzerland as was initially intended, I will now face Iceland in Reykavik on 15th November 2006.

As for the competitive international matches, the campaign opens with just the three games in 2006, the first being a perilous trip away into the unknown in Azerbaijan, followed up by a home and away double header in October, first hosting Croatia and then travelling to Belarus. Certainly a lot of travelling to be done in the group!!

The full fixture list reads as:

Azerbaijan (A) 6.9

Croatia (H) 7.10

Belarus (A) 11.10

Germany (H) 24.3

Wales (H) 2.6

Azerbaijan (H) 6.6

Croatia (A) 1.9

Belarus (H) 5.9

Wales (A) 6.10

Germany (A) 10.10

The warm up matches of course continue, with an away tie in the Czech Republic in March, and then a home tie 4 days before the Euro 2008 qualifying opener, when I shall host fellow minnows San Marino.

Czech Republic v Faroe Islands

Wednesday 29 Mar 2006

Mestsky Stadion

Ref: Andy D'Urso

Att: 4976

This was a relatively decent defensive performance, especially since it was an away game against one of Europe's better teams. We certainly had a decent amount of possession to begin with, but ended up giving it away cheaply with 'world cup passes' attempting to pick out teammates with 40yard cross field passes.

The steam was taken out of our performance after 13 minutes when the referee awarded a rather soft penalty, and Bystron stepped up to open the scoring for the Czechs. A ropey 20 minute period ensued but having restricted the Czechs to long range shots on goal, we eventually got it back together and held out until half time.

The second half followed much the same pattern, with Czech Rep dominating possession and shots on goal statistics. The resolute defending was once again breached in 66 minutes with Koller heading home a poorly defended cross.

Although no goals were scored, it was a pleasing defensive performance and hopefully one that can be built upon for future away ties.

XI: (4411) Nielsen; Joensen (A Danielsen 67), Ennigaro, H Hansen, J Hansen; Mortansson (Mork 45), Flotum (Jorgensen 50), Benjaminsen (H Danielsen 50), Jacobsen; Elttor; a Borg (Dam 67)

Czech Rep 2 Faroe Islands 0

European Championships 2008 Qualifying round up

Group 2

Azerbaijan

Led by Brazilian Carlos Alberto Torres, and playing in the middle of nowhere at the Tofik Bahramov Republican stadium in Baku,Azerbaijan managed to collect only the one point in their World Cup Qualifying Group, which contained the qualifiers England, and also fellow group members Wales for this campaign. Scoring only 5 goals and conceding 27 in only 10 games, their hapless record really stems from their inability to play away from home. The group's lowest seed, hopefully my teams can take something from the games.

Belarus

Belarus struggled in a World Cup qualifying group containing qualifiers Italy and Norway, along with Scotland, whilst also finishing below Slovenia. This match will represent a tough challenge having to travel into deepest darkest Belarus and their national stadium in Minsk. With 2 very credible victories against Norway, they will certainly be a team to watch.

Croatia

Croatia failed to live up to expectations in their World Cup group, finishing below eventual qualifiers Sweden, as well as both Bulgaria and Hungary. Led by ex-Croatian internationalist Zlatko Kranjcar, and containing players from some of the top leagues in Europe (Biscan - Liverpool, Kovac - Bayern M), they are a team to be reckoned with, especially given national expectations demanding much improved performances.

Germany

Germany will be the overwhelming favourites to win the Group, given they are the top seeds. Having qualified for the World Cup by reason of being the hosts, (their group consisting of Italy, Paraguay and Japan) they could well be a little rusty having not really played much competitive football in the past few years. That being said, they were part of the 2005 Confederations Cup, also held in Germany, being the eventual winners after beating Argentina on penalties in the Final, having also beaten Brazil on the way to the title.

Wales

With Mark Hughes leading the Welsh National team, they qualifed for the World Cup in 2nd place behind England, knocking out Austria and Poland in the proccess. In a group with Spain, Nigeria and Uzbebekistan, they may well has aspirations of progressing in Germany in 2006. With a squad of some quality, they will simiarly be hoping to make a good stab at European qualification.

May 2006

In European club football, the most prestigious trophies were both closely contested. The Euro Cup was played on Wednesday 17th May, with Feyenoord and Sevilla fighting out a 1-1 draw, with the dutch team taking the trophy home after a 4-2 penalty shootout win.

A week later in the Champions Cup at the Westfalenstadion, European giants Roma and Barcelona clashed, with the latter coming out on top in extra time thanks to the solitary strike of Ronaldinho in the 96th minute.

Arsenal managed to do the double in England, defeating Everton in the FA Cup and pipping Man Utd to the Premiership title - this ultimately cost Alex Ferguson his job.

July 2006

World Cup 2006 - Germany

Ominously, Wales breezed through their group B matches with maximum points, Spain only just joining them in 2nd round on goal difference from Nigeria. Germany also qualified from Group C undefeated, the only blemish being a 0-0 draw with Italy, who won the group. The first big name fatality was in Group E where Argentina could only muster 2 points, with draws against Ireland and Costa Rica, whilst losing to Ghana. Ghana progress to the knockout stages for the first time in their history after seeing off Costa Rica on goal difference by just the solitary goal. Joining Argentina on the way home were also Sweden from Group G, once again the curse of goal difference ending their hopes, with Chile clinching a 2nd round berth in their place.

Wales crashed out of the 2nd round, going down by a respectable 1-0 margin to Brazil. Tie of the round saw Italy demolish England 3-1, whilst Norway knocked out the hosts Germany. Ghana's fairy tale was ended in extra time by the Czech Rep.

Brazil and Spain advanced to the Semi-Finals, seeing off Italy and Norway respectively in their QF ties. They are joined by Czech Rep (defeating France 2-0) and Columbia (who beat Ukraine on penalties).

The Semi Finals saw Spain line up against the Czechs and Brazil face Columbia. Once all was said and done, both matches ended 2-1, both in favour of the home team, and that set up a World Cup Final between Spain and Brazil. Columbia snatched third place with a penalty win over Czech Republic after 120 minutes failed to separate the teams at 1-1.

Having only ever hosted a World Cup Finals in 1982, this was Spain's first appearance in the showpiece final. Also sporting the 2nd most lethal attack in the competition, Spain had every reason to approach the final with optimism. Unfortunately, Brazil were just too strong, winning the match 2-0 without the need for any extra time or penalties. This allowed Brazil to claim their 6th world cup victory. John Hartson finished the tournament as top goalscorer (4 goals).

July 2006

Domestic News

In terms of transfers, the 'big' summer moves in the Faroe Islands involved Augustinussen moving to EB/Streymur, and he would also later be joined by Arnold Joensen, as EB looked to strengthen their squad ahead of their European qualification games.

International veteran defender Johannis Joensen also announced his decision to retire from club, and similarly, international football at the end of the season. With Joensen perhaps starting to fall out of the national team plans, this announcement is not unexpected, nor will it cause any selection problems in the months ahead.

The 9th July 2006 was a day of concern for the Faroese as the Football Association allowed Serbia and Montenegro to approach their manager Kevin and offer him the job of head coach of the u19 and u21 teams. After mulling over it, I had no real problem in rejecting them, instead wanting to concentrate on the job I was doing with the Faroes. However, it was quite nice to receive a job offer nonetheless.

After the world cup, and with the world rankings now a bit more stable since there is to be a break in international football, we are 108th!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a tremendous achievement!!

The European Champions Cup began in ernest. HB crash out of Champions Cup at 1st qualifying round to Sheriff of Macedonia.

Columbia offer friendly invitation for 28 March 2007 - accepted.

In Euro Cup 1st qualifying round, EB/Streymur lose to another Macedonian team, Zimbru, 3-1 on agg. Tranava of Slovakia dispose of AB 4-3 on agg.

Finally, after months of not having a match, we are about a month or so away from a new qualifying campaign and I look forward to it with much anticipation.

The build up to the opening of the European Championships qualifying was dominated by news of the sacking of Germany manager Jurgen Klinsman.

The squad for the final friendly match against San Marino was annoucned, with av Flotum removed through injury, whilst the imminent retirals of Johannsen and Joensen resulted in their withdrawals. Morkore was removed and replaced by Thomassen who returned to the squad. Several uncapped players were brought into the squad: Vagnur Mortensen (GI), Abrahamsen (IF), a Lag (HB), Djurhuus (LIF). Elttor was also removed.

The squad would consist of 7 uncapped players, 4 in the squad for the first time.

Squad:

GK: Joensen, Mikkelsen, Nielsen

D: Abrahamsen, A Danielsen, Davidsen, Ennigaro, H Hansen, J Hansen, S Joensen, a Lag

M: Augustinussen, Benjaminsen, H Danielsen, Jacobsen, Jorgensen, Mork, Mortensen, Petersen, Samuelsen, Thomassen

F: a Borg, Dam, Djurhuus, Jonsson, Mortansson

Faroe Islands v San Marino

Saturday 2nd September 2006

Torshavn

Ref: Dick Jol

Att: 7998

Despite looking reasonably comfortable in this game, we struggled badly to break San Marino down in that final third of the pitch. With a number of players making their international debut, it was pleasing to see a reasonable performance, albeit a touch toothless in front of goal. That being said, it was particularly pleasing to see Nielsen keep his 2nd clean sheet, and the introduction of Djurhuus demonstrated that he could be a striker to watch for the future, almost scoring on his debut. Overall, although disappointing not to win, it was a decent performance in advance of our opening qualifier.

Azerbaijan v Faroe Islands

Wednesday 6th September 2006

Baku

Ref: Craig Foy

With Jonsson removed through injury, Elttor was given a swift recall. Benjaminsen was then later removed, again through injury, and his replacement was relative unknow Anfinn Hansen.

Fielding a largely unchanged team from Saturday, it was Azerbaijan who dominated in the early exchanges, with the Faroes on the back foot. Tactical changes had to be swiftly made, and thereafter, the team settled and started to get back into the game.

However, depsite our increasing control on the game and creation of chances, the game was to completely change in the 54th minute. Djurhuus, who was running the show in the AMC position, was the recipient of an disgraceful challenge, which didnt even get a free kick. Whilst lying in a crumpled heap, Azerbaijan ran up the flank, crossed the ball into the box, and their poaching striker Qurbanov turned the ball into the net. Djurhuus could not continue and was substituted.

Sadly, this took all the rhythm out of my team, and we never really recovered from losing such an inspirational player. The game was then finished off after 67 minutes when Mehtiev scored. I was still simmering after the injury to Djurhuus and this made my mood worse.

This was a very disappointing match, and a poor opening to our qualification campaign and ambitions, especially since I was quietly hoping to take all 3 points. Hopefully things will improve.

Azerbaijan 2 Faroe Islands 0

Other results:

Croatia 2 Belarus 1

Germany 2 Wales 0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anite:

Which leagues are loaded?

I may give this a go... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just the english league is loaded, down to League 2 I think

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fc Denderleeuw:

nice work Kev...

It would have turned that job/offer down too icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a brief moment it was tempting, but I dont really see myself moving jobs for the foreseeable future

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Anite:

Thanks, Kev.

I'll try and keep you updated, but obviously it would be hard to match your achievements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

of course, you have to also have all players for the faroe islands loaded (if that is the country you are going). good luck.

Keep up the good work! I did a Faroe Islands story ~18 months ago and it was by far the best challenge I have done in Champ Manager.

Took me 3 qualifying campaigns of finishing bottom 2 in the group before in the 4th I had a great campaign to at last qualify for the world cup.

I've actually recently started another Faroe Islands story before I came here (my first visit in a few months) so I hope the FM public have enough interest for 2 stories on the best islands in the world icon_smile.gif

Faroe Islands v Croatia

Saturday 7th October 2006

Torshavn

Ref: Mark Clattenburg

Att: 9963

Referee Mark Clattenburg was the man in charge for my historic 3-1 obliteration of Switzerland in my very first match in charge of the Faroes away back in September 2004, and I was hoping for more of the same as we played our first home match of the Euro 2008 qualifying tournament. Sadly, this was not to be.

For a reason I have yet to be able to put my finger on, we are truly dismal and shambolic in our performance. At no point did we ever look as though we were going to be in a position to compete in this match. So bad was the performance that, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I felt the need to introduce a substitute before we had reached the half hour mark.

Meanwhile, in that same time, Croatia had raced to a 2-0 lead, with danger man Kranjcar scoring twice after 10 and 30 minutes. Half time allowed us to regroup and hopefully start the second half with more purpose. Unfortunately, yet again the game plan went out the window when my last defender Joensen committed defensivev suicide, hauling down the on rushing Croatia attacker, and receiving a red card for his troubles after only 52 minutes.

Things got worse 10 minutes later when Mortensen blasted the ball into his own net (62 mins), and the rout was completed in 76 minutes when Klasnic calmly slotted home after the defence failed to clear their lines.

We now travel to Belarus for a midweek match, and things are going to have to improve rapidly if we are to try and emulate the form of last year. Im not sure if perhaps the retirals of a few key players have impacted on this slight slump, but 3 points are looking quite essential against a Belarus team also sitting on 0 points.

Faroe Islands 0 Croatia 4

XI: Nielsen; Joensen, Ennigaro, H Hansen, Mortensen; Benjaminsen (A Danielsen 75), Jorgensen, Jacobsen Mork (Mortansson 45); Jonsson, Djurhuus (a Borg 30)

Other results:

Belarus 0 Germany 2

Wales 4 Azerbaijan 0

Belarus v Faroe Islands

Wednesday 11th October 2006

Minsk

Ref: Gillies Veissiere

Att: 35531

Although I felt we didnt play nearly to our full potential, given the circumstances within the game, it was, on reflection, a decent result.

Belarus had the ball in the net within 34 seconds, however, the French assistant referee was fortunately on hand to rule it offside, and so the scores remained level. Belarus then had a number of good chances before we started to assert ourselves a bit more, and really we should have gone in at half time 1-0 up had a Borg not squandered a glorious chance.

The second half began as competitively as the first had ended, but yet again it was indiscipline that was to cost us dearly. First off, Benjaminsen managed to pick up two swift yellow cards and received his marching orders after 66 minutes. The first yellow card seemed to be a touch harsh, and Hansen got himself booked for dissent as he tried to protest Benjaminsen's innocence. Sadly, that was to come back to haunt him as a subtle tug of a Belarus jersey was spotted by the match officials, and his 2nd yellow card was evident. Down to 9 men, and with Belarus now operating a 424 formation, things were looking rather bleak indeed.

We were forced deeper and deeper, first operating a 4-3-1, then a 4-1-3-0, before ultimately having to resort to a 5-3-0. However, it was the heroics of keeper Nielsen that kept Belarus at bay, and despite a nerve jangling 4 minutes of injury time, we held out for the draw.

At least it gets us off the mark points-wise in the group, and was a well ground out point. Of more concern is the fact we have had 3 men off in 3 matches and have yet to score a goal. That being said, with Croatia and Germany both on 9 points, the remaining 4 teams are separated by just 2 points: Wales (3), Azerbaijan (3), Belarus (1) and ourselves (1). All is not doom and gloom just yet.

Belarus 0 Faroe Islands 0

XI: Nielsen; A Danielsen, Ennigaro, H Hansen, Mortensen; Mork, Jorgensen, Jacobsen (Thomassen 73), Samuelson (H Danielsen 67); a Borg, Djurhuus (Benjaminsen 45)

Other results:

Croatia 4 Wales 0

Germany 2 Azerbaijan 0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Maple:

Well, I would think loading the Danish leagues might be a good idea because I presume quite a few of the Faroe players play there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, id probably agree with that. if i were to do it all over again id have more scandanavian leagues loaded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Keep up the excellent work! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I was just looking back at my recent results though and cant believe the last time I scored a goal was in November 2005 and almost a year will have passed by the time I meet Denmark in a friendly. Things will certainly have to change, and quickly....

Its that time of year again when the competitive games end and the friendlies begin. Given our not so brilliant start to the Group, this could be excellent timing for us as we try and regroup and work out where things have gone wrong so far. Novemeber presented a friendly double-header against Denmark at home, and then the (relatively) short trip to Iceland. Oli Johannsen was removed, as was Mikkelsen, and this was followed up with an injury to Augustinussen. Sadly, at the grand old age of 34, and with a pace of 1, Jonsson was also not getting a recall.

The squad was as follows:

GK: Meinhardt Joensen, Gunnar Nielsen, Pol Naess Joensen

D: Sigfriour Abrahamsen, Atli Danielsen, Poul Ennigaro, Hans Frooi Hansen, Jens Kristian Hansen, Jon Roi Jacobsen, Simun Joensen, Kristian Olsen

M: Frooi Benjaminsen, Hallur Danielsen, Rogvi Jacobsen, Hans Jorgen Djurhuus, Claus Jorgensen, Aki Mork, Vagnur Mohr Mortensen, Petur Oli Samuelson, Mikkjal Thomassen.

F: Jakup a Borg, Ransin N Djurhuus, Hjalgrim Elttor, Andrew av Flotum, Anfinn Hansen, Barour Mortansson.

The media story on this occasion surrounded the place of Dam in the squad. Having earlier refused a call up as a replacement in the match against Belarus, he was not selected for this game. At the time I would not comment to the media about the dispute, preferring to focus only on the game. Now having a chance to reflect, I suspect I wont call him up again until he apologises. The media also felt the pressure was off in this game, with Olsen warning Denmark about their complacency.

Denmark tops their Euro 2008 qualifying Group 8 which also contains Slovenia, Turkey, Slovakia and Malta.

Faroe Islands v Denmark

Saturday 11 November 2006

Torshavn

Att: 9975

Ref: Pierluigi Collina

Denmark lined up in this game with 4 defenders, 2 midfielders sitting on the halfway line, and a 4 pronged attack led by Lovenkrands!! Typically, things started abysmally and after just 21 seconds the referee awarded Denmark a penalty (im starting to get slightly suspicious about the number of times teams score against me in the opening 60 seconds!!) which was duly dispatched by Jensen. Some supporters were still barely taking their seats and we were already 1-0 down. The ship was steadied briefly, but after 27 minutes Lovenkrands doubled the Danes' lead and on the stroke of half time Poulsen capitalised on yet another defensive mix up. That more or less finished us off, with little in the 2nd half of any interest save other than for a much better 45minutes by my defence. Of greater concern is the complete lack of fire power up front.

Things are looking pretty bad at the moment. I havent scored a goal in a year and there are no signs of any real improvement or flashes of inspiration from the team that did so well in the world cup qualifying.

Faroe Islands 0 Denmark 3

XI: Nielsen; Joensen, Ennigaro, H Hansen, Abrahamsen; Mork (Mortansson 45), av Flotum, Jacobsen (Mortensen 68), H Danielsen; a Borg (Djurhuus 45), Elttor (Jorgensen 68).

Iceland v Faroe Islands

Wednesday 15 November

Reykjavik

Ref: Franz-Xaver Wack

Att: 9190

A Danielsen had to leave the side through injury and was replaced by Hans a Lag. Simiarly both Thomassen and Benjaminsen didnt travel to Iceland, with only Augustinussen begin called up in their place.

Iceland sit 4th in Group 3. Spain, Russia and SAN MARINO above them. Finland and Kazakhstan prop up the group. Naively, I thought we might actually be able to turn in a good performance.

YET AGAIN, in under a minute the opposition are ahead, this time Gudjohnsen doing the damage on the counter attack after we struck the Iceland cross bar and then committed defensive suicide (it was certainly an entertaining opening minute). For them we did start to compete, but were dealt a body blow in 44 minutes when Gunnarson managed to head home a cross from the wing. The second half only got worse as the performance continued to decline. Gunnarsson scored in 55 minutes before Ennigaro capped off a dismal display with an own goal 12 mins from the end.

This game was absolutely gutting. Not only is the team going backwards in terms of performance, but the was the whole calendar year of 2006 without a goal. Thoroughly disappointing, and quite hard to take.

Iceland 4 Faroe Islands 0

XI: Nielsen; Mortensen (Joensen 64), Ennigaro, H Hansen, Abrahamsen; Mork, av Flotum (A Hansen 77), Jacobsen, Mortansson (Jorgensen 64); a Borg, Djurhuus (Elttor 77)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

How is your FIFA ranking at the moment? I was always really disappointed that CM only updated the rankings once per year because it was always interesting to see if we were making progress in the rankings! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In August 2006 I reached my highest ranking of 106th, almost achieving my goal of breaking into top 100. Nov 2006, now at 123rd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul83:

What leagues do you have to run to get all the tiny nations? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't matter using FM, you just need to select to include all players from the given country.

With CM you need to include a file which tells the game to retain players from the given nation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul83:

What leagues do you have to run to get all the tiny nations? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you are loading up a new game, there is an option to include all players from a specific country. In this case, I chose to include all players from the Faroe Islands (obviously).

Id recommend trying to manage a smaller nation. Can be a bit frustrating at times, but good fun nonetheless. Currently been a bit sidetracked by FM2006, but will hopefully soon return to my FM05 Faroes game and give it another few seasons before I gracefully retire.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kouta:

brilliant work.

have always considered this but have thought that the delays between the games and then not qualifying would be a bit of a drag.

Might try it now though with a Liechtenstein maybe icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I did my Faroe Islands story it was as an offshoot from my Ross County story so that made it a lot better for me pplaying-wise. Means it takes a lot longer of course, but you have the club interest as well as the international interest.

I did mine in CM 03/04 though and had attribute masking on which is a nightmare cos you have to call up players to your squad and then release them again to see what they are like! Thankfully that isn't the case in FM though so don't worry if you start a game with attribute masking on there and manage a small nation

Archived