RANT - worst version ever

I think it used to be a decent game whereas it is now a great game. Every version since FM05 has been an improvement over the last, although 8.0.0 and 8.0.1 were not great engines.

8.0.2 undoubtedly is though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

I think it used to be a decent game whereas it is now a great game. Every version since FM05 has been an improvement over the last, although 8.0.0 and 8.0.1 were not great engines.

8.0.2 undoubtedly is though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say it's decent engine,with great potential , but for final judgment i will wait till they deal with all the issues that you mentioned in some other threads.

I do understand that you are one of all 3 ME testers, so you have better input into it(it's your baby anyways), but still product shouldn't be judged till is finished icon_smile.gif

As for Skunner, i have just one thing to say ...I feel deeply sorry for you , if you have nothing better to do in life , but to instigate other people, while hiding behind internet anonymity. Maybe they are wrong , but still they have right to say what they want and it doesn't warranty behaviors like yours. icon13.gif

I think you are overcooking my input icon_biggrin.gif

There are many Beta testers, all of whom can comment on the engine. However, there are three testers who offer more regular ME feedback than the others, of whom I am one (and am by no means the most vociferous).

8.0.2 is a thing of beauty, despite its flaws, which can all be minimised or avoided via tactical instruction (even the game-breaking one you alluded to in another thread but picked wrongly), some of it frustrating and tedious. I would like for that requirement to be reduced as it will make the whole playing experience more dynamic and user-friendly. The fact that these flaws are present does not make 8.0.2 any less worthy. It is superior to 7.0.2 in many ways. There are one or two things I prefer in 7.0.2, but in general 8.0.2 is the better engine in terms of its representation of real football. In 7.0.2 I could get a playmaker midfielder making 150+ passes in a match, or a TM winning nearly every header, which is clearly ridiculous. 8.0.2 doesn't allow that and the match stats (with logical tactical direction) are much more in line with reality.

I would heartily recommend you sticking with 8.0.2 and learning its strengths and weaknesses. It takes time, as did the 07 engines, but it is worth it. Just avoid the corner exploit and everything else works, or can work with a little thought, beautifully.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mlp071:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

8.0.2 undoubtedly is though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say it's decent engine,with great potential , but for final judgment i will wait till they deal with all the issues that you mentioned in some other threads.

I do understand that you are one of all 3 ME testers, so you have better input into it(it's your baby anyways), but still product shouldn't be judged till is finished icon_smile.gif

As for Skunner, i have just one thing to say ...I feel deeply sorry for you , if you have nothing better to do in life , but to instigate other people, while hiding behind internet anonymity. Maybe they are wrong , but still they have right to say what they want and it doesn't warranty behaviors like yours. icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel pity for the people who take the time to tell someone else on the internet that they "have nothing better to do with their life."

I would question what you do with your "life" but I fear i'm going to get the same old propaganda about your successful career that everyone else uses.

Carry on with your perfect life.

And on another note. Sure they have the right to moan, but is it really neccessary to do so when there's about 5 other topics on this page moaning? Does everyone REALLY need their own topic speaking of the exact same things they claim is "wrong" with the game that everyone else with a topic writes about?

I will give the guy credit though. His grammar is alot better than most of the moaners that come here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Soccer Manager:

I agree with 8.0.2 wreaking - It's just not fun anymore (no need to rehash all the reasons mentioned over and over again). I've taken my C.D. and ripped in half, and will try again with Manager 9 to help me get through another winter. Goodbye Soccer Manager 8. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um...okay.

In general, I'd have no problem with the idea that certain things can be explained by tactics.

But there are other things which just feel blatantly "systematic". In some save games it's more acute than in others; I'd received (and scored) for example a load of goals after absolutely moronic back-passes. And it's not that it doesn't happen, just that it always happens in a very similar manner - and even in top flight competitions.

I've just started another game on 8.0.2 and still feel there is a bit of a problem with the long shots, players shooting too easily too much on goal. A good goalkeeper makes a difference, for sure, but somehow the guy I had at Bognor, despite looking brilliant, was a disaster (I assume certain hidden stats weren't as good as the visible ones).

For me it's more about how it happens rather than why it happens, that's where I felt the problem lies in these last few games. Didn't have these problems in 8.0.1, didn't even have them in an 8.0.2 game, but then they started popping up and it's rather annoying. I'll try to work on tactics, but some things are beyond tactics, to my mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FcPoliFan:

Ok, here is the ultimate example for the type of matches I have to bear. This may be an extreme example, but it shows what I've been up against much too often. I was playing in the Conference.

Bognor Regis - Exeter 5:6

Match Stats

My goalkeeper

So you've got 2 (even 3) beginning/end of half goals, 3 consecutive goals, shots galore on my side and barely scored, just three more shots on goal by them than goals scored.

And this happened often during the season and during other seasons as well. It's just very, very depressing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Watch the flanks. Watch the flanks.

42% & 33% crosses successful!!! Somebody, somewhere, is leaving gaping holes all over the flanks. You should be looking to get this down to below 20% for the opposition and keep it above 20% for your team. If the oppositon makes almost every other cross, you are doing something seriously, seriously wrong. As always, all the clues are in the match stats.

I'm assuming you have started a game in 8.0.2 rather than continued an 8.0.1 save? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Bognor game might have been an 8.0.1 continued save, that's why I wouldn't have complained at all had the problem not appeared in my subsequent games made on 8.0.2.

I looked at a game where I am in the first league (as opposed to the 6th with Bognor) and the cross rates are down and they are generally as you state them when I win a match.

I'd love it if I could sometimes just have someone who truly understands the engine sit next to me and explain to my why certain things seem to happen so often, but that is not possible and every time I signal something of the sorts, I am told to look at tactics.

I've tried doing many things against poorer teams when I was 3-0 up, just to make sure nothing weird happens, and it was more than once that I conceded three in the last ten minutes, despite playing defensively, making substitutions, wasting time, etc (and not excessively, only the last 20 minutes or so, when I felt they were coming strong). It will take anyone more than what you've told me to make me understand why I keep conceding/scoring so many goals in the 90th. I feel like I can do very little about it.

Archived