League reputation in FM10

The French league is getting better in my opinion.

Is a french team does well in the champions league this season and lyon dont win the league then i believe it will be better than the Italian league and third best in europe :)

I don't know, Bayern looks really dangerous. This (static reputation in FM10) was my biggest let down. I really wanted it, badly. But oh well, let's hope it's in FM11 :(

I like the co-efficient idea.

They can also use an average of all the teams reps to determine league rep. I figure since I don't think it'll matter if a team from Norway wins the Champions League 6 times in a row if every other team in the league is terrible. Of course club reputation shouldn't reset if this is implemented.

Finances is a tough one but I suggested in another thread that a certain amount of money should be attached to a range of reps. If the country has EPL style sell the whole league then the league reputation dictates how much money the league will get (for FM10 they can use the current EPL deal as a high and research for a low). For countries like Spain where clubs make their own TV deals, league + reputation are taken into account (Madrid would have to be the high in this case again they would have to do a little research for the low).

I like the average of the club reputation idea.

Since club reputation is dynamic anyways, just set the league reputation as a function of the aggregate club reputations.

That way, league reputation will move according to club reputation, and as club reputation moves quite slowly, league reputation will be gradual too.

While having a linear average is better than having having a static reputation, having a weighted average would be better:

League reputation = (1.5 X (Reputation of top quarter of clubs) + (1 X Reputation of 2nd and 3rd quarter of clubs) + (0.5 X Last quarter of clubs))

Obviously the ratios are made up, but arriving at a sensible model should not be THAT difficult. If a particular league has much more teams than other leagues, then just take the top 18 (or average league size).

For places in CL, Reputation per place = (Sum of League Reputations for all included Leagues) / (Places in CL)

Then teams per league in CL = League Reputation / (Reputation per place) rounded up to nearest integer

If league has 4 places, last 2 in qualification.

If 3 places, last 1 in qualification

After that, if teams included > places, knock out the teams in leagues with lowest reputations.

For this to work, obviously reputation can't reset each year, but I can't understand why they need to. Surely it can't be that hard to store an integer per club and then an integer per league.

To make it even more interesting, regional reputation should also be dynamic according to the various leagues. For example, if Asian clubs start gaining more reputation (bigger stadium, bigger crowds, national teams successful on the international stage), then Asia might start getting a bigger reputation, and hence winning the Asia Champions League might get a bigger reputation increase than before. Obviously regional reputation will move even more slowly than league reputation and it is unlikely that the ordering with change drastically over 5-10 years (Europe having a massive head start over all other regions), but over 20-30 years, who knows (especially if controlled by the user)?

For finance model, I can't see why it would need a massive rewrite just because of reputation changes. If money is calculated as a function of reputation, just leave it that way. As long as the function stay the same, the finance model will still be accurate as reputation changes. Problem arises if the finance model isn't written as a function of reputation, but since advertising money varies between clubs, they have to be related somehow?

Anyways, I doubt this will be changed in FM2010, but I certainly hope it will be there someday (soon!).

Archived