FM09: Official Burton Albion F.C. Thread

VillaSmith

I've searched the forum and the only thread that had anything to do with Burton is the Non-League Discussion, and that wasn't much, so I thought I'd make my local team's thread.

burton.jpg

Introduction

Burton Albion Football Club, also known as the Brewers, are an English football club based in the town of Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire. Burton Albion have had a very "dull" history. They have reached the FA trophy final once in 1987, but sadly didn't win it, they were runner's up of the English Southern League Premier Division two years in a row in 2000 and 2001 but after switching back to the English Northern League Premier Division in 2001/02 season they won the league and gained promotion to the Conference now known as Blue Square Premier.

Burton have currently been playing at there stadium, the Pirelli Stadium, since 2005, after there old ground, Eton Park, was demolished to make way for houses.

Burton have a fierce rivalry with Tamworth, who are in the division below, and Gresley, another Non-League team, but are much lower than Burton, who are situated very close to Burton.

Burton traditionally wear a yellow and black shirt, black shorts and black socks.

Club Information

Background

Name: Burton Albion F.C.

Nickname(s): The Brewers

Founded: 1950

Fierce Rivals: Tamworth, Gresley

Other Rivals: Stafford, Derby, Accrington

Legends: Nigel Clough, Darren Stride

Club Icons: none

Favoured Personnel: John Brayford, Neil Warnock, Kevin Poole, Aaron Webster, Keith Gilroy, John McGrath

Media Prediction: 7th

Team Captain: Darren Stride

Vice Captain: Aaron Webster

Staff

Manager: Nigel Clough (on game), Roy McFarland (IRL caretaker manger)

Assistant Manager: Gary Crosby

Coach: Andy Garner

GK Coach: Martin Taylor

GK Coach: Kevin Poole (rsv)

Youth Coach: Mark Sale

Physio: Matt Brown

Scout: Martyn Sanders

Finances

Estimated Value: £525K

Balance: £132K

Transfer Budget: £20K (top half finish), £22K (promotion), £22K (title challenge), £28K (winner)

Current Wage p/w: £11K (top half finish), £11.5K (promotion), £11.75K (title challenge), £12K (winner)

Stadium & Facilities

Ground: Pirelli Stadium

Capacity: 6,500 Approx. (2000 seated Approx.)

Average Season Ticket Price: £240

Average Ticket Price: £11

No. of Season Ticket Holders: 220

Training Facilities: Adequate

Youth Setup: Adaquate

First Team Squad (as of 11th Jan 09)

1. Kevin Poole GK

3. Aaron Webster DF

4. Michael Simpson MF

5. Tony James DF

6. John McGrath MF

7. Darren Stride DF

8. Andrew Corbett DF

9. Shaun Harrad FW

10. Jody Banim FW

11. Keith Gilroy MF

12. Danny Holmes MF

13. Saul Deeney GK

14. Marc Goodfellow MF

15. Ryan Austin DF

16. Jake Buxton DF

17. Lee Morris FW

18. Greg Pearson FW

19. Matthew Bailey MF (loan from Wolves)

22. Jon Newby FW (loan from Greenock Morton)

Positons in further detail

GOALKEEPER

The weakest part of the squad with your main 'keeper, Kevin Poole, starting off in the reserves. You will definetly need to strengthen this area and your ass. man. will give you a list of 'keepers he recommends for you to sign. He will probably recommend a 'keeper called Michael Jordan who is a great BSP 'keeper and starts on a free.

DEFENCE

Strong and experienced. only one place really needed to be replaced and that is lb or cb but webster is a great lb/cb and stride is a good cb but would be just as good at cb. a back four of webster james stride corbett would do the job but strengthening is needed. Recommendation Daniel Jones d\ml on loan from wolves.

Resize%20of%2007%20Darren%20Stride.JPG

Darren Stride

MIDFIELD

Again strong and experienced. Also very good but areas to strengthen include rm and cm. McGrath and Gilroy are the main players here and are almost irreplacable. Recommendations Stephen Connor amrc\st Woods-garness amrl matty collins mc.

Resize%20of%2011%20Keith%20Gilroy.JPG

Keith Gilroy

ATTACK

Second weakest area though still very good. Pearson and Harrad offer a physical presence and can be very hard to handle. Recommendations Michael Nardiello st free Adam McGurk am\fc loan from Villa.

greg%20new%20one.jpg

Greg Pearson (sorry pic is so big)

Analysis

A decent squad with some weaknesses, mainly GK, also not much depth. Good, healthy finances and good training and youth facilities for the clubs standard.

Can you finish off what Nigel Clough started, by getting Burton Albion to the football league for the first time in their history?

Good starting post, I'll add it to the links thread. You should add a badge to the top of it imo, if you need any help then just ask:thup:

was going to but couldn't figure out how so if you could tell me then it would be much appreciated:thup:

was going to but couldn't figure out how so if you could tell me then it would be much appreciated:thup:

Yeah, it's no problem. You have to find an image that you want to show, and then put coding around it to make sure it shows up as an image and not as a link.

Lets say the link is http://education.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9253ED27-851D-48DC-9F98-1D6A90B963DF/52907/burton.jpg

You would have to put >In the closing it has a space between the [/img and the ]. To make the above show as a picture, delete the space between the [/img and the ] and it should appear as

burton.jpg

Hope this helps:thup:

Yeah, it's no problem. You have to find an image that you want to show, and then put coding around it to make sure it shows up as an image and not as a link.

Lets say the link is http://education.staffordshire.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9253ED27-851D-48DC-9F98-1D6A90B963DF/52907/burton.jpg

You would have to put >In the closing it has a space between the [/img and the ]. To make the above show as a picture, delete the space between the [/img and the ] and it should appear as

burton.jpg

Hope this helps:thup:

cheers will stick it in the OP:thup:

First problem:

asked the board for a feeder club and they said yes like most clubs would and my options are:

Walsall

Wolves

Wolves look like the one to go for because of reputation, but Walsall will still give me BSP quality players on loan.

Which one should I choose, I'm swinging towards Wolves at the moment.

Also this will end my current link with Derby

neither, derby i would stick with as wolves seem to get relegated alot on my saves and derby are usally promoted within 3 seasons, so if ur serious about going up, then you have to have some prem quality on loan... but hey, its your decsion...

January and my Barrow team are 4th and in FA cup 3rd round at Millwall... we will win!!!!!!

Only 3 games in!!!

but thats because things to do this weekend and not much time for FM.

Won 2 and Drawn 1. Michael Nardiello is my best player so far, he's been outstanding, highly recommended.

My draw was at home to Woking where I had 19 shots and they had 2 the final score was 2-2:(

PROMOTION... this is my team, they will all sign for any Blue Square Team

GK

Sven van Ommeren (1st choice)

Rudi Pounoussamy (Sub)

Julien Haugel

Jim Seychelles

DC

Laelson Mendonca(1st)

Thanh Doan(1st)

Yordi Daemen

Jean-Toussaint Matteoli

Fabien Fernandez(sub)

DR

Michael Pearson (1st)

Giovanni Songoro

William Mounoussamy

DL

Rogerinho

Kevin Berby(1st)

MC

Mark Boyd(1st)

Charles Devineau

Matt Henney

Patrick Vaz

Jean-Phillip Javary

Drouglazet(1st)

MR

Pearson

Have not been able to find many ggod rm.

ML

Patrick Vaz

Charles Devineau

FW

Boubacar Balde

Laurent Leroy

Jean-Yves Mangenot

Mohamed Benaissa

Soulemane N'Diaye

Willy Robert

I mave had Hull, Stoke and Crystal Palace snooping around van Ommeren who has conceeded 36 in 59 with 32 clean sheets.....

Top stuff!

Rocamora went to Charlton as (1 there my fav. club) and the bid would sort out my wage problems.......Jean-Phillip Javary has been a more than capable replacement....

OMG OMG OMG

i have just been touted as the favourite for the Chelsea job as Scolari has gone back to brazil, do i accept if offered????? HELP

Save just before chelsea offer you a contract or before you apply then you can have one save where you remain loyal and one where you have gone to chelsea.

not played him yet and he just got injured for a month:(

I'm in September first season as my computer crashed:( Though i'm doing well with a great striker partnership between McGurk and Nardiello, 2 of the best strikers i've ever had at this kind of standard.

Leading the league by 2 GOALS and about to go to 3rd placed Stevenage who are 1 point behind me.

Thought id start a burton albion thread coz this is the team that im currently managing burton on my fm 09 save. so far played 7 seasons.

1st Season : finished 5th in Blue Square, gained promotion through play offs

2nd Season : Finished 2nd in League 2

3rd Season : Finshed 1st in League 1

4th Season : 12th in Champoinship

5th Season : 11th in Championship

6th Season : 8th in Championship

7th Season : Currently 2nd in Championship with 18 games left

Got a great partnership upfront which scores goals for fun and knocks 3, 4 past mid table clubs.

Sam Vokes and Billy Sharp. First season together and sharp scored 30 + and vokes scored 29.

Brought chris mccain for 4.5 million and he is absolutely amense, now wanted by top premier league clubs.

my weakest part of the team is in goal. Signed Tom Heaton on a free transfer from Man Utd in my 2nd Season and hes played there ever since. In need of a new keeper and Joe Hart has become available as hes not needed by Man City so currently making an enquiry.

Am going to try and sign Rafeal from Man Utd to booster my defence and add some pace to the team. In January market signed Scott Parker from West Ham for 1.2 million, Birsa from Newcastle for 8 million and also just signed Fabio from Man Utd for 60'000 as he was unsettled and transfer listed.

Want to try and get burton to a mid table premier league club and then may try my hand at italian management with AC Milan as they are interested in offering me a job. But ive been at burton for a while and dont want to leave a team that ive created to be a top rate team.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived