Macbook questions with football manager

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a macbook http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MB402B/B?mco=MTkzOTI5Mw but I have some questions about it first as I currently have a windows laptop.

How well does football manager 09 run on a large database on a macbook? My current dell keeps overheating after half an hour.

How much does a macbook overheat if you have it on your lap?

Can I still have the same graphics (facepacks, backgrounds etc) on a macbook?

How long does the battery last whilst playing football manager 09?

Are there as many problems with the game on a macbook as there are on a pc? eg: crash dumps error.

I am playing this game on a new macbook and i am very happy with how i runs. I play on a large database and it runs smoothly and rarely overheats. I have also recently downloaded logos face packs etc and there seems to be no changes in the smoothness of the game. I have no problems with crash dumps or anything yet and i have done a few seasons. Also the battery life lasts around 2 and a half hours with me but i always play while using other programs etc. My only 2 problems with the game are the 3d match ,Its fairly jumpy and you can only have the resolution on low (thus i dont use it) and having to have the disc in. Otherwise and overall i'd give this a almost perfect machine to play it on.

How well does football manager 09 run on a large database on a macbook? My current dell keeps overheating after half an hour.

Runs ok on mine (old Intel MacBook 2006), get warm but not too bad.

How much does a macbook overheat if you have it on your lap?

Moderatly warm

Can I still have the same graphics (facepacks, backgrounds etc) on a macbook?

Yes, although they need to go in a slightly different place (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=37980)

How long does the battery last whilst playing football manager 09?

I get an hour and half approx on my MacBook (you can turn sceen brightness down which helps)

Are there as many problems with the game on a macbook as there are on a pc? eg: crash dumps error.

Seems ok after the patch, non patched versions suffered injury bug and a right clicking bug but these are def resolved in the patch.

On older MacBooks (Intel GMA 950 graphics) 3D will not run, but newer ones (Intel X3100? & Nvidia) should be fine.

Regards

Onkster

I am playing this game on a new macbook and i am very happy with how i runs. I play on a large database and it runs smoothly and rarely overheats. I have also recently downloaded logos face packs etc and there seems to be no changes in the smoothness of the game. I have no problems with crash dumps or anything yet and i have done a few seasons. Also the battery life lasts around 2 and a half hours with me but i always play while using other programs etc. My only 2 problems with the game are the 3d match ,Its fairly jumpy and you can only have the resolution on low (thus i dont use it) and having to have the disc in. Otherwise and overall i'd give this a almost perfect machine to play it on.

Is that one of the new 'aluminium' Macbooks?

Same here as with Mould.

Had no problems whatsoever apart from with the 3D Engine which runs as smoothly as a.. one legged dog.

Same question - is this one of the new 'aluminimum' Macbooks?

Cheers.

no its the 'new' old mac book if you understand. the white one produced again slightly higher

Yep, cheers I understand. So its running the 3D then (albeit only in low res)? That's cool as was thinking of buying one but obviously wanted the 3D. Also thinking of buying a new aluminium Macbook or Macbook Pro but can't decide on how much I'm willing to spend! (I obviously mean one out of the three not all three! lol).

Same here as with Mould.

Had no problems whatsoever apart from with the 3D Engine which runs as smoothly as a.. one legged dog.

Is there any way to improve the graphics on macbooks then? I don't play with the 3d mode at the mo but will probably want to in a few years time when it's good enough and obviously don't want to be regretting buying a mac if it cant play 3d football manager.

If you can get cod 4 on mac - then why isn't 3d match working properly?

think its a generic problem with the match engine. If you buy the new macbook pro go for the better graphics card option as that is probably one of the best you're going to get in a laptop right now.

and as with any laptop, you're pretty much stuck with the graphics you get

Is there any way to improve the graphics on macbooks then? I don't play with the 3d mode at the mo but will probably want to in a few years time when it's good enough and obviously don't want to be regretting buying a mac if it cant play 3d football manager.

If you can get cod 4 on mac - then why isn't 3d match working properly?

I reckon people wishing to purchase a new Macbook in the future should just wait till the 9.2 patch is out, and then people who are playing on Macbooks can let them know if there's an improvement with it. I'm hoping there will be as I want to buy one!

I've got a macbook pro, the old model not the new aluminium one, and I have found FM 2009 to run perfectly, got facepacks and skins etc and it hasn't effected the game at all. I also have had no probs what so ever with the 3D match engine, runs really smooth and I think its great effort for the first 3D graphics. Got the patch too and it seems to continue to run fine.

Hope this may help!

I reckon people wishing to purchase a new Macbook in the future should just wait till the 9.2 patch is out, and then people who are playing on Macbooks can let them know if there's an improvement with it. I'm hoping there will be as I want to buy one!

The new aluminium unibody ones have a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and can play things like Quake, COD and Doom etc.

Can someone who has one of the new aluminium Macbooks and patch 9.2 confirm that they can play 3d on high detail?

Cheers.

I have bought a brand new macbook last sunday(the aluminium one)

I can confirm that now with 9.2 patch you can play in evry graphic detail(low/medium/high) but the graphics for the 3d are pretty much alike no matter the detail you pick

I´m very dissapointed.....last week I played on a PC in a friend´s home an d the 3-d graphics were way better.the games were much funnier and realistic.

In mac, the graphics are fluid but not top-notch at all...

I´m thinking about installing windows xp in my mac and try to play FM via Pc to check if it´s works better but I´m not really sure if it´s a question or hardware of software.

Do you think it will work??????

You can do that with bootcamp and it will run like on a pc. The main problem is the different 3-D engines. The game is obviously not optimated for the macintosh 3-D graphic engine. However I can live with the 3-D graphics on my MacBookPro.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I play with a new Aluminum MacBook with the bigger hardrive and 4GB ram and it still gets quite hot after a couple games... the fan goes on high and I have to give it a rest. Anybody have similar problems with overheating? Seems like this only started in the 3rd patch...

Archived