BIG H's FM2009 Tactics Set

Added 8th October

Chaps - I know this is late in the day for another 2009 Tactic, but I know a lot of us had success with my tactic set below (which was for 9.01) so I thought you may like to try my 9.03 Versions. All the principles/requirements below still stand, I have just made some tweaks here and there and it is working superbly for me. I haven't created SUS version for 9.03, so it’s the Attack tactic for Home games, heavily favoured games or if you are strong team you can use Away aswell. Standard is a bit more cautious and more suited for Away games, Games where you are the underdog or if you have a weak team – Explanations below still stand. Here are the tactics, hope they do well for you – Cheers – H

http://rapidshare.com/files/290392976/4-4-2_Big_H_9.03_Attack__Barcelona__Jul_2008_.tac

http://rapidshare.com/files/290393305/4-4-2_Big_H_9.03_Standard__Barcelona__Jul_2008_.tac

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not making any great claims about these tactics, all I will say they have worked well for me with Everton. I would be interested to see how others get on with these so I can see if I have actually come up with something worthwhile or if I have just been lucky. I have only played 10 games in my Everton save and have won 7 drawn 2 lost 1, switching between the Attacking & Standard versions of the tactic and swapping to Shut Up Shot for the last 15 mins or so. I have used the Standard version of tactic for a full season in Holiday Mode as Everton, who were top with 2 games left, but finished 4th on 78 points, United also had 78 in 3rd and Chelsea and Arsenal had 79 points (screenie below)

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp187/BIGHBOMB/Screenie.jpg

These Tactics are based on a Manchester United style of play. Basically The 2 Centre Backs do not have the freedom to rome and remain in their defensive positions. The full Backs are very attacking and Offer Support to the Attack. There are 2 Central Midfielders. One (one on right of partnership) operates more defensively Backing up the defence, especially bearing in mind that the Full Backs will be getting forward and also acting as a link between Defence and Midfield. The 2nd central Midfielder (Left of partnership) is more attacking as has freedom to get forward and work together with the ML & MR as an attacking unit, The Left MC has a free roles and more attacking settings than the Left Central Striker. Finally the 2 forwards. The Left sided Forward plays more of a support role and supplies the right sided forward who has more freedom and is the goal getter. If you have a player who is an Attacking Midfielder/Striker they are more likely to have the attributes to succeed in the left side of the forward pair.

Characteristics required for each position should be self explanatory based on the info above, but some pointers for key positions

MC (Right of 2) requires Marking Positioning Passing Teamwork & Stamina. Strength & Work rate will also be useful

MC (Left of 2) requires Passing, Technique Long shots Teamwork Stamina

FC support (Left of 2) requires Technique Creativity Long Shots Strength & First Touch)

Striker (Right of 2) requires First Touch Off the Ball Finishing Composure

There are 3 options:

Attack when you are heavily favoured and most Home Games

Standard – A more balanced approached for Away Games and Home games where you are underdog (AML & AMR drop back to ML & MR positions)

Shut Up Shop – Does what it says on the tin. (MCR becomes DMC) I only tested for 7 games with it and drew all 7 scoring 3 conceding 3 (as Everton) So pretty boring but also secure.

Like I said above I am not making any claims about this being a great tactic, it will quite possibly suck for a lower team that doesn’t have the right players for the right positions, so don’t go nuts if it doesn’t work for you.

Hope this does work for you guys, would love to hear your results.

Cheers

9.01 Versions

Rapidshare links:

http://rapidshare.com/files/166044889/4-4-2_Attack_Big_H__Everton__Oct_2008_.tac

http://rapidshare.com/files/165470257/4-4-2_Standard_Big_H.tac

http://rapidshare.com/files/165470258/4-4-2_Shut_Up_Shop_Big_H.tac

Megaupload links

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J4IECWJI

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UJX95NO7

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XO9XZL9K

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
by having three tactics do you not find your players taking a long time to respong to each? i always got the impression chopping and changing tactics drastically affects the morale and the performances??

That can be the case, but there is the flip side that if you always use the same tactic it won't take long for the AI to figure it out. I don't swap around to much, I am pretty much using the Standard Tactic as a start point for most games and then play around during the game if needed.

Just to give you a bit more info: The main difference between the 3 tactics is the role of the Full Backs.

In all 3 versions the folllowing roles apply:

Defensive players = GK, DC, DC, MCD (Right of 2)

Support Players = MCA (left of 2), FC (Left of 2)

Attacking players = FC (Right of 2) ML & MR)

The variations are as follows:

Standard tactic - Full backs = Support Players

Attack Tactic - Full Backs = Attacking players

Shut Up Shop - Full backs = Defensive players

What I mean by Attacking, Supporting and Defending is that all of their settings are amended accordingly, I.e mentality, Creative freedom, Passing style, Type of crosses, Forward Runs, Running with Ball etc etc.

I tried this tactic with Portsmouth, first game away at Blackburn won 3 - 0. And next game is Everton at home where I am favourite and using the attacking tactic. Being outplayed for the whole game and lost 1 - 0. After that away at Manchester United lost 2 - 0 using standard tactic.

I tried this tactic with Portsmouth, first game away at Blackburn won 3 - 0. And next game is Everton at home where I am favourite and using the attacking tactic. Being outplayed for the whole game and lost 1 - 0. After that away at Manchester United lost 2 - 0 using standard tactic.

The Standard version appears to be performing best, try sticking with that one, if it is going to be successful for you it will take time for your team to adapt.

Great tatic mate, I had been having real trouble with Spurs (my first ever season on the full game 9.01) and was 19th after 12 games. Not scoring many goals, conceding stupid goals and generally getting dominated

No tactic was working for me and my lowest ebb came after a 3-0 thrashing at WBA.

Saw your tactic posted yesterday and played 12 games last night.

Won 8, Draw 2, Lost 2 (Chelsea Home/Everton Away) Now currently 7th in the league.

I find the attacking tatic works very well home or away against any team 20th -10th in the league.

I adopt a more sensible standard (then defensive) approach away to the top 10th-1st in the league.

At home against teams 5th-10th i start attacking then drop to standard/defensive after i have built a lead.

At home aginst teams 4th-1st i play standard then defensive if i build a lead.

Thanks again mare u have made this game enjoyable again....

Great tatic mate, I had been having real trouble with Spurs (my first ever season on the full game 9.01) and was 19th after 12 games. Not scoring many goals, conceding stupid goals and generally getting dominated

No tactic was working for me and my lowest ebb came after a 3-0 thrashing at WBA.

Saw your tactic posted yesterday and played 12 games last night.

Won 8, Draw 2, Lost 2 (Chelsea Home/Everton Away) Now currently 7th in the league.

I find the attacking tatic works very well home or away against any team 20th -10th in the league.

I adopt a more sensible standard (then defensive) approach away to the top 10th-1st in the league.

At home against teams 5th-10th i start attacking then drop to standard/defensive after i have built a lead.

At home aginst teams 4th-1st i play standard then defensive if i build a lead.

Thanks again mare u have made this game enjoyable again....

Thanks for your feedback mate - much appreciated, glad you are having some success.

I´m going to try this with Benfica....

Feedback shall be reported ;)

Cool - good luck fella. This sounds pretty obvious, but make sure you get players with the right attributes in the right positions and the tactic is very dependant on individuals performing their roles. If one cog in the chain doesn't work the system can break down.

This game is driving me mad. No matter what i do I can't seem to get any kind of consistency!

I am not having a go at the game, or the Match Engine, the game is superb and i'm sure the match engine has a fantastic logic to it, it also looks great.

Butttttttttt for the life of me i can't seem to work it out. I've read thread after thread about how to set tactics up, i've downloaded and read the tactical theorems guide. It appears i'm missing something simple, because it all doesn't add up for me, as soon as i think i've understood whats going on, something happens to dispel that.

I know there is no magical formula, and i know that football is a game of luck and chances, but nothing i do seems to be able to bring a baseline of consistency to it!

This game is absolutely driving me mad, which is so annoying, because i've had every game since CM93!

Using the above tactics I still seem to have an incredibly fagility when dealing with crosses( nothing i do stops this) and I concede a lot of goals from outside the area! My strikers miss a lot of 1 on 1's, and i can't seem to settle into a rhythm of any kind. I'm playing as Villa, so i've got Friedel in Goal and a back line of Cuellar, Davies, Laursen and Shorey. Davies and Cueller have 16 and 16 for heading and jumping, whilst Laursen has 19 and 19!

Can anyone help because i'm pulling my hair out here!!!

Everton Pre Season Using Standard Ver

Everton 1 - 1 Toulouse FC (Control the match but can't deliver the goal)

Everton 2 - 1 LOSC Lille Metropole (Close match)

Preston 1 - 5 Everton

Bury 1 - 3 Everton (Control the match and can score more)

Sheff Utd 1 - 0 Everton (Control the match but can't deliver the goal)

Overall : Good Pre Season, ONWARD to EPL!

Tactic provide many chance to score but whether your striker force wanna score is the problem :p

This game is driving me mad. No matter what i do I can't seem to get any kind of consistency!

I am not having a go at the game, or the Match Engine, the game is superb and i'm sure the match engine has a fantastic logic to it, it also looks great.

Butttttttttt for the life of me i can't seem to work it out. I've read thread after thread about how to set tactics up, i've downloaded and read the tactical theorems guide. It appears i'm missing something simple, because it all doesn't add up for me, as soon as i think i've understood whats going on, something happens to dispel that.

I know there is no magical formula, and i know that football is a game of luck and chances, but nothing i do seems to be able to bring a baseline of consistency to it!

This game is absolutely driving me mad, which is so annoying, because i've had every game since CM93!

Using the above tactics I still seem to have an incredibly fagility when dealing with crosses( nothing i do stops this) and I concede a lot of goals from outside the area! My strikers miss a lot of 1 on 1's, and i can't seem to settle into a rhythm of any kind. I'm playing as Villa, so i've got Friedel in Goal and a back line of Cuellar, Davies, Laursen and Shorey. Davies and Cueller have 16 and 16 for heading and jumping, whilst Laursen has 19 and 19!

Can anyone help because i'm pulling my hair out here!!!

Have you tried Kimz FM2008 Tactic? Lots of people still having success on FM2009 with this

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fsagojdmt5b

This was imo the best tactic for FM2008, haven't personally tried it for 2009 coz I really want to perfect my own tactics this time. I'll go and have a look and see how it plays and let you know (if you don't try yourself)

Guys,

Maybe i've just not getting it, i'm doing pretty average/awful with this tactic( and every other one to that matter!)

I'm not having a go at this tactic at all, in fact I'd really like to understand where i'm going wrong, because everyone else seems to be getting decent results!

My line up is as follows

Friedel in goal

Luke Young Rightback

Curtis Davies and Either Thiago Silva/Martin Laursen Centre Backs

Stefan Radu or Nicky Shorey Left Back

Reo Coker as DM And either Barry/Defour at other CM

Ashley Young Left and James Milner Right Wing

Gabby Agbonlahor as Left Striker

John Carew as right Striker.

Now i know this team isn't going to win the league, but surely it's strong enough for top ten? Am i doing something totally stupid?

Please help me!!

Have a look at the requirements for key positions mate and see if your players have the right attributes. I've also found you need to stick with this tactic to get the best from it. I started a new save, just doing some testing and my first 5 games were pretty awful, but I've just won 6 on the bounce. Good luck

P.S Did you try Kimz tactic that I posted above for you? It seems to work pretty well (I've just tested for a few games)

BIG H,

Could you please post some screen shots of your tactic (e.g. player instructions) as the computer that I play Football Manager isn't on the internet. I would like to give your tactic a go. Thanks.

You can copy the files onto a flash stick or a CD or something mate and then stick them on your other PC?

If not I will try and do it tomorrow for you mate. Off out now.

H

hi BIG H,

what players did you sign during manager everton, because im realy struggling on signing good quality player.

Thanks pal

I sold the Yak for £26m to Spurs with the theory that I already had Vaughan, Saha & Anchebe and good rebuild the team with some youngsters. May also sell Cahill (can probably get about £28m in January) but uncertain because he is possibly the best we've got.

Brought in:

Belletti from Chelsea - Loan fee 750K with buy out option of £3.5m - Doing really well for me

Di Maria from Benfica £6m - doing great and looks like a future star

Carioca from Gremio £3m - hasn't played much, but looks like a real find for the future

Teixiera from Vasco £9.5m - doing well with Anichebe as 2nd Striker

Played one friendly so far and worked really well. I was Udinese against Grosseto and won 3-0, not outstanding, but pretty good. The other team scored the funniest own goal I've ever seen though. Their keeper, under absolutely no pressure, bounced it off his center back into the goal lol. Anyway I had 65% possession and held them to 0 shots, so not bad at all. Second match went great as well. 4-0 against Bari, they managed 5 shots, but only 1 against my starters. Very good tactics so far! Cheers. Third friendly did not go so well. After allowing 2 goals in the first 4 minutes I out shot Utrect 19 to 3 for the rest of the game, but since they were just sitting back I couldn't convert at all and lost 2-1. Oh well, it was still a good showing with over 80% pass completion and a ton of chances. All of my friendlies have been back to back so my strikers were probably just too tired.

Played one friendly so far and worked really well. I was Udinese against Grosseto and won 3-0, not outstanding, but pretty good. The other team scored the funniest own goal I've ever seen though. Their keeper, under absolutely no pressure, bounced it off his center back into the goal lol. Anyway I had 65% possession and held them to 0 shots, so not bad at all. Second match went great as well. 4-0 against Bari, they managed 5 shots, but only 1 against my starters. Very good tactics so far! Cheers. Third friendly did not go so well. After allowing 2 goals in the first 4 minutes I out shot Utrect 19 to 3 for the rest of the game, but since they were just sitting back I couldn't convert at all and lost 2-1. Oh well, it was still a good showing with over 80% pass completion and a ton of chances. All of my friendlies have been back to back so my strikers were probably just too tired.

Thanks for your feedback mate

First league game and I beat Fiorentina 2-1 it was a pretty tight game, but the goal I allowed was from a very stupid mistake by my left back, basically passed it straight to Gilardino. The goals I had were quite impressive though. This has all been without my top 2 DC's also, since they start injured. Once they come back, I see good things happening.

Big H, Had a bit of a clear out and signed a lot of players at the end of season 1. So far played 5 won 5, beat Man Utd 2-0 at OT using the shut down tactic for 90min, also just played Spurs, went 1-0 up after starting on attacking, immediateley went to shut down, closed the game out over the last 70min, but still dominated, creating over 15 chances!

I think i've cracked it, the players are now much more suited to the formation and the roles!

Thanks

Joe

BIG H,

thanks very much for replying im going to put the yak up for sale and just see how i get on from there, it sounds realy good, that Di Maria is quality

ill let you know how i get on

thanks Big H

Brought in:

Belletti from Chelsea - Loan fee 750K with buy out option of £3.5m - Doing really well for me

Di Maria from Benfica £6m - doing great and looks like a future star

Carioca from Gremio £3m - hasn't played much, but looks like a real find for the future

Teixiera from Vasco £9.5m - doing well with Anichebe as 2nd Striker

Big H, Had a bit of a clear out and signed a lot of players at the end of season 1. So far played 5 won 5, beat Man Utd 2-0 at OT using the shut down tactic for 90min, also just played Spurs, went 1-0 up after starting on attacking, immediateley went to shut down, closed the game out over the last 70min, but still dominated, creating over 15 chances!

I think i've cracked it, the players are now much more suited to the formation and the roles!

Thanks

Joe

Good stuff mate - glad things have turned around for you. I think you just have to persevere and make sure you get the right players with teh right attributes for each position (which you have done)

Still doing well with Udinese, after 6 matches I'm in 3nd, 1 point behind Juve and Roma. Getting plenty of goals between Di Natale and Quagiarella, with Sanchez or Di Natale usually hooking up Quariarella, so the forwards work great together. I just got back my other center back, so hopefully I'll concede even less now:)

Great tactics, won the prem and fa cup in 1st season as Liverpool.

I have found that I perform better if I start every match with Attack formation and even some matches leave it at that, highlight was a 4-0 thumping of the mancs at Old Trafford.

Into the second season and have really restructured, Gerrard, Carra and Alonso sold (I like to offload players at peak price and replace) Man City and Arse are looking good but im top of prem after 22 games.

Congrats again top tactics!

Great tactics, won the prem and fa cup in 1st season as Liverpool.

I have found that I perform better if I start every match with Attack formation and even some matches leave it at that, highlight was a 4-0 thumping of the mancs at Old Trafford.

Into the second season and have really restructured, Gerrard, Carra and Alonso sold (I like to offload players at peak price and replace) Man City and Arse are looking good but im top of prem after 22 games.

Congrats again top tactics!

Cheers mate - glad it's going well

Hi Big H,

Would You ever conseider selling arteta?

thakyou

Alot of people have said that the board accept offers for him in season 2, so you may lose him anyway. He would be hard to replace, but if you get silly money for him that allows you to by 4 or 5 good propsects it may be worth doing. Peronally I would try and keep hold of him if you possibly can

Unfortunately this tactic has been a bit of a disaster for me so far, which is a shame because I like the setup.

Played 5 games as Spurs - won 1, drew 2 and lost 2. All were against average opposition at best. Only scored 2 goals, conceded 5. I have no doubt I would get slaughtered by one of the top teams.

Thanks for making the effort though.

Unfortunately this tactic has been a bit of a disaster for me so far' date=' which is a shame because I like the setup.

Played 5 games as Spurs - won 1, drew 2 and lost 2. All were against average opposition at best. Only scored 2 goals, conceded 5. I have no doubt I would get slaughtered by one of the top teams.

Thanks for making the effort though.

[/quote']

No worries fella, shame it hasn't worked. Very few tactics can be proved good or bad after 5 games though mate, may be worth giving it about 15 games before giving up.

Archived