The Official Nottm. Forest Thread. Mon The Tricky Trees

Das Messiah

I wanted to be the one to start a thread for my beloved Forest, I've only ever played as them in any game i've ever had and dreamt of bringing back the 'Glory Years' to this at best average team.

I've always stuck to the youth policy the club employs and generally end up with an average team age of around 23.

My own greatest achievment was getting them to the final of the ECL only to be hammered 4-0 by a rampant Barca team.

Here's to another God knows how many seasons of unfulfilled dreams but I will continue to smile.

My analysis of the current squad highlights a significant strength in depth issue as Forest have only one or two good players and then a squad of 'fillers'.

Players to keep in my opinion from the season i've played are as follows.............

Smith GK:- Dependable and good in the air.

Perch DR/DM:- Great utility player who always puts in a good performance.

McGugan CM:-One for the future but showing promise.

Cohen AM/LC:-Plays really well at AMC if your playing an attacking formation, not really quick enough for a winger.

Joe Garner SC:- Another promising player who we've signed for 'big money' (in our terms!!!!), has reasonable stats and plays well in reserves and his cameo appearances have been good.

The rest are a bit take it or leave it, even Rob Earnshaw appears to be average. But hey what would I know?!

Good luck fellow Trickys, post your stories, developed players and anything else about The Reds in here for us all to appreciate!!!

Bon Chance

DM

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well i'm naff at the moment, but i'm still getting to grips with it. Agree with Smith, he's ding a decent job and a strike force of Tyson and Earnshaw are doing OK. I'd prefer to buy some wingers as when the loans run out we've got nothing. I think we could do with some better coaches, fitness and GK are good (Keepers near perfect infact) but elsewhere it can be improved. Sadly you need to get rid of coaches before you can bring anyone else in. I've also brought in another scout, need to bring in a couple more to find some (cheap) players.

The problem with managing your team is that it's Head V Heart. As of yet i've bougth Sebastian Abreu who i've seen mentioned on a free, had to appeal the working permit. At 31 he should have a couple more season in him and he looks pretty good so far.

Anyway my first game on FM's are always more about discovery and getting used to new features and stuff. Good look everyone.

Earnshaw's pretty poor on my game, bought a couple of new strikers. Tyson won't budge from the first team. Garners not back yet but he seems decent. Moussi and Cohen are my midfield partnership at the moment, although won't be selling McGugan. Got Glauber from Man City on loan and also bought Peter Whittingham. Sold Sinclair, Thornhill and Arron Davies. Played 8 Won 3 Drawn 5. I'm currently 7th. Ask the borad for some extra funds, they will give you some.

Just completed my first season finishing 8th, 7 points from play offs. With 6 games left I was in 5th but due to key injuries my team slipped down with a few draws.

Designed a new 442 tactic that seems to be ok and just grabbed some bargains in the preseason transfer window.

Guy Moussi, Mattias Lequi were key in the previous seasons exploits.

With the new guys I hope to get get promoted this time. C'mon you Reds!!!!

Not far in but 4th. Tyson is playing a lot better than Earnshaw. McGugan and Cohen have been the stars so far, with Celtic after Cohen. Only first teamer I've bought is a new right back from Celtic.

Can't seem to get Earnie to score or even put in a decent performance at the moment, just one goal in 7 appearances ! Have replaced him with Tyson who just hit a hattrick in a 3-2 win away to QPR. Playing a variation of 4-5-1 with the wingers pushed up. Also had a tinker with the finances at the start gave myself £1.5m to play with bought in Celso Borges £350k (get him on long shots) , Sergey Kisylak £220K(quality find, Belarus), Mitje Viler £90k (left mid coaches say he is going to be decent Prem player) also brought in Fabio from Man U on loan to replace Jules at LB. Should be able to push on into the play offs

Only 9 games into the season and sat in 7th place with I think 16 points, if I remember correctly. Having a problem wit the strikers being injured which isn't great and means I haven't seen the best of any of them.

Brought in Peter Murphy for left back for 85k, Freddie Lundberg for 14k, Spanish centre half Alexis and defender/midfielder Soley on free transfers and Jack Collison (West Ham midfielder) and Daryl Murphy (Sunderland striker) on loan.

Currently playing 4-2-3-1 with the first team looking like this:

GK Smith

RB Wilson

LB Murphy P

CB Chambers

CB Alexis

MC Moussi

MC Soley

AML Martin

AMC Cohen

AMR Lundberg

SC Murphy D

Subs: Bennett, Dunne, McGugan, McLeary, Earnshaw

All the squad are getting some time on the pitch though due to the high number of games. My second 11 got to the 3rd round of the league cup before going out to Ipswich.

1st season and its December and im 7th, got Glauber on loan from Man City and brought Fredrick Ljungberg who is doing very well. Just asked for more money got 2.5 mill plus now Joe Garner back and doing very well things are on the up. Coooooooooome oooooooooooon yooooooou REDS!!!!

After 15 games I'm in 2nd, although the 3 teams below me are on the same points so it is very tight. Earnshaw is my top scorer, albeit with only 4 goals. His ratings are rubbish but he scores good goals, his movement in the box looks good but his shooting from distance is very weak.

My wide players are scoring goals too, even Aaron Davies got his chance recently and scored 3 goals in 2 games. Still playing 4-2-3-1, but need to find a way of creating more clear cut chances to score.

Yeah earnhshaw cant score for ****. Damm Derby researcher has fixed it so he cant score. Lee martins playing well as are cohen and moussi. Kerslake recomended this guy lequi for centre back and hes amazing...was free too. also buy zopotoka hes great too

I've got to be the worst player at this game ever. Currently 22nd in the league after 22 games with 19points. I've scored 18 but conceded a whopping 48 with score lines like 7-0, 5-0, 4-0. Earnshaaw has played 19 games scored 3 goals and got 1 assist. Tyson has played 18 games, scored 2 and i assit. I've got another striker in who i mentioned earlier who is having the same look. Sebastian Abreu who has played 19, scored 2 but at least has 4 assists.

But still after all this frustration and heartache i just want to play it more. I can't understand these people who complain and say the game is rubbish because they keep loosing. there's a solution to my problems, i just need to find it.

my forest team are currently 10th in the league with 9 games remaining. ive got rid of tyson mcleary earnshaw thornhill hughes and cohen. and brought in matej rapnik , robert lewandowski - awesome player scored 13 in 16 games so far , semir stilic , alipio from r.madrid on a free , freddie ljungberg for 14k but can get him on a free at start , gerard is a great player as well. alessio tacchinardi on a free and a player called tsvetomir todorov.

I've got to be the worst player at this game ever. Currently 22nd in the league after 22 games with 19points. I've scored 18 but conceded a whopping 48 with score lines like 7-0, 5-0, 4-0. Earnshaaw has played 19 games scored 3 goals and got 1 assist. Tyson has played 18 games, scored 2 and i assit. I've got another striker in who i mentioned earlier who is having the same look. Sebastian Abreu who has played 19, scored 2 but at least has 4 assists.

But still after all this frustration and heartache i just want to play it more. I can't understand these people who complain and say the game is rubbish because they keep loosing. there's a solution to my problems, i just need to find it.

you're only the worst cos colin hasn't tried his hand at it yet.

ok finally started and before i make any transfers a few bits of information

I predicted mid table so 250K transfers

I looked at the squad and will as always when i'm playing see how well i do with the standard 4-4-2

GK:Smith

DL:Bennett DC:Breckin DC:Chambers DR:Wilson

ML:Martin MC:Cohen MC:Moussi MR:Anderson

FC:Tyson FC:Earnshaw

I'm thinking of getting a replacement for breckin as he's getting old now and definitely a new MR

I'm only playing the demo at the moment. Haven't started too well, but things are getting better gradually. Got rid of a number of the fringe players, as well as Chambers (CC take note!).

Darren Ward (yes, our ex keeper Darren Ward) has been a useful season-long loan acquisition from Sunderland as cover for Smith.

Smith is currently out long-term injured on my game too, so I've signed Jimmy Walker from West Ham on a cheapie to stand in.

Brought in Carlton Cole as another option up front, since Earnshaw has been largely useless and Garner has only just got back to decent match fitness. Cole has thus far been even more useless than Earnshaw unfortunately.

Signed Carl Fletcher (again, please CC take note!) who's done a good job in the centre of midfield so far.

Signed Riccardo Scimeca from Cardiff to play as a defensive midfielder and he's done really well so far.

Got Steven Smith (left wing back) on loan from Rangers for the season and he's been in decent form so far, barring one catastophic mistake.

Signed Matt Lawrence from Palace to add a bit of squad depth in all the defensive positions and he's been pretty good so far.

I think that's it on the transfer front. Sure I've forgotten someone though.

Generally, I've been playing with....

GK: Paul Smith / Darren Ward / Jimmy Walker

DC: Kelvin Wilson

DC: Julian Bennett

WBR: Matt Lawrence / James Perch

WBL: Steven Smith / occasionally Chris Cohen or Lee Martin

DMC: Riccardo Scimeca

MC: Guy Moussi

MC: Carl Fletcher

AMC: Paul Anderson

FC: Joe Garner

FC: Robert Earnshaw / Nathan Tyson / Carlton Cole

McCleary and Thornhill are currently out on loan at Lincoln. Thinking of getting rid of Breckin and Morgan, since they've been fairly crap in the games I've played them in. I've played McGugan in a couple of games so far and he's been pretty disappointing, so I'll use him as a backup for now.

Now up to 20 games and have slipped up quite badly, falling into 9th place. Having said that I would be happy to still be there at the end of the season. The squad needs a lot of work so I'm happy to take my time getting up. Will ask the board for more money in January, just hope they oblige.

I got Hammill in on loan from Liverpool to replace Martin in January. Did a great job. I also got in the younger Le Tellac in on loan (Damian, David?), and ended up signing him on an End on Contract. He got 6 goals while Tyson was in a rut. I also grabbed Darren Ward loan and he usurped Smith in goal.

Also got uncapped Robbie Kruse on an end of contract (joined in April) from Queensland Roar - he got a WP, which is strange as Mark Milligan, who I signed on a free has played all of Australia's games and still can't get one.

Earnshaw scored a heap, he needed a 532 or 352 to flourish. Was crap at 442 or single striker. Garner came back and got a few. Tyson I am letting go on a free at the end of the season.

Started a new game now, as the previous one was rapidly going tits up.

Again, I started by getting rid of most of the fringe players, plus Chambers, to raise some cash / wage funds to adjust to the transfer budget.

I've not signed as many players fully this time. I've gone for more loan signings. However, I have brought a few on permanent deals.

Permanent Signings:

Matt Lawrence (D/WB RLC / DM - Palace) - has been great thus far, playing mostly as a right back, but used in other defensive positions as well when needed.

Stuart Green (M RLC - Blackpool) - did okay before getting long-term injured - signed as cover really to have on the bench and bring on in case of in-game midfield injuries, since he can play right, left or centre midfield.

Riccardo Scimeca (MC / DM - Cardiff) - has done reasonably well so far - hasn't been used as first choice, but is a solid backup.

Kristian Timar (DC - Plymouth) - absolutely immense at the centre of the defence, along with Bennett.

Loans:

Darren Ward (GK - Sunderland) - first choice for most of the season.

Steven Smith (D/WBL - Rangers) - steady choice as left back, with Bennett in central defence.

John Fleck (AM RLC - Rangers) - has been a sensation so far.

Koki Mizuno (AM R - Celtic) - has only played one game so far - signed as cover.

Fabio Ferreira (AM RL - Chelsea) - did okay before getting long-term injured.

Heidar Helguson (ST - Bolton) - bit of a mixed bag - played eight games and only scored in two of them, but he got four goals in one game, so I'm reluctant to get rid of him!

Michael Chopra (ST - Sunderland) - absolutely sodding useless - constant low ratings and no goals!

On another note, has anyone else noticed how good McCleary is on the game? He has been for me in this game anyway. His stats are rubbish, but he's a constant threat and regular goalscorer. If only life imitated art!

p.s. Calderwood out!

1st season and its December and im 7th, got Glauber on loan from Man City and brought Fredrick Ljungberg who is doing very well. Just asked for more money got 2.5 mill plus now Joe Garner back and doing very well things are on the up. Coooooooooome oooooooooooon yooooooou REDS!!!!

Asked for more money and got an answer that "the club cannot afford to give you any more money for transfer". Pretty annoying really given how Doughty supports his managers with cash and I'm doing better than any of them!

i got sacked. But by the time i got sacked i performed a lot better scoring more and conceded less. So i'm gonna start again and hopefully put what i've learnt into practice. there's a couple of positions i need to improve on in my mind, mainly looking at getting long term wingers, as well as looking at the defence.

I'vr noticed that everytime i start a new game (1 on demo, 2 full game) it comes up with a different area that needs improving, First was midfiled, then defence and now attack. XD God help us, we've got to be mad to support forest.

I'm only playing the demo. I've chosen Forest due to their underdog status and former glory days. Played Forest before on Fifa 06 and won League One and coming from behind in the Carling Cup semi final, David Johnson scoring a hat trick in the final twenty minutes after doing nothing the entire game. After that I was hooked.

I've never played FM before so all the menus are daunting but after having a poor pre-season with only 1 win, over Benfica, I'm firmly in 10th place after 4 games.

Won away at Preston North End coming from behind 3-2

Won at home against either Colchester or Shrewsbury on penalties after 1-1 draw in League Cup

Drew 0-0 away at Crystal Palace

Lost 0-2 at home to Newcastle United in the next League Cup draw

Lost 0-2 at home to Wolverhampton

Won 2-1 at home to Sheffield United. United's only goal coming from a 90th minute own goal by Chambers.

Won 0-1 away at Norwich

Won 1-0 home against QPR

I usually start off defensively but I found the squad plays much better when they actually start attacking. The wins have been ugly, dull affairs but it's the results that count.

I was conservative so the board didn't give me too much transfer funds. Only able to obtain Rubén Palazuelos from Hearts and David Connolly on loan from Sunderland. Both have been terrific. Oh, also got Alan Navarro from MK Dons and French Defender Jean-Félix Dorothée who was unattached on the Assistant managers recommendation. Neither have fit in very well. Andrew Cole has been :thdn:. I gotta get rid of him.

I'm really struggling for consistency and have slipped to 11th. Still very tight so I am targeting a top 10 spot but too many draws are making it difficult. I suppose the real world is showing the truth of it but only Cohen seems good enough from the original squad so it is going to take some time to build a decent team.

i got forest promoted with the team i stated above. lewandowski was amazing.

finding it very hard in the prem though! , only got 1 point from 4 games so far.

Have signed lequi , prudnikov , mccarthy , scneiderlin and rodney sneijder.

First season on FM09:

Position: 10th

Played: 20

Players In: Heidar Helgusson (Loan), Steven Smith (Loan), Daryl Murphy (Loan), Ian Walker (Loan), Alexey Smertin (Free Transfer), Ricardo Rocha (Loan), Fredrik Ljungberg (£14k), Andrius Velicka (Loan)

Players Out: James Perch (£250,000 - Birmingham), Emile Sinclair (£450,000 - Cardiff). & Also loaned out some of my youngsters e.g. James Dunne and Dale Roberts

Good Luck.

Think I've finally got my tactics sorted, thanks to the TT&F guide. Also mangaed to strengthen my squad with some good players:

Fredrik Ljundberg. AM RL. Lots of people have recommended him and at 14k he is a brilliant bargain. Despite scoring only 2 and creating 2 assists in 24 games the number of plays he's been involved in to create goals is staggering.

Shelton Martis: D RC. 45k from West Brom. Despite the fact he had good stats i was concerned he was not better than my existing players. How wrong i was. 25 games, 2 goals 2 assists and 4 MoM awards. At 26 he's still got a lot of years left in him.

Chris Killen: ST is the weakest player i've signed. at 220k from celtic he was my most expensive sigining. played 22 scored 7, 2 assists and 1 MoM he's Avg ratings pretty poor, but i'm still happy i've signed him as you really need another striker what with Earnshaw's consistent lack of goals. probably better strikers out there though.

Existing players that are doing well are Smith, Moussi, Cohen with Arron Davies a good back-up winger (played 6, 2 assist, avg rating 7.00).

Other players are holding their own, but would ideally need replacing.

After 40 games I am in 8th place. All very tight and quite an exciting finale to the season with a playoff place still very much a possibility. Problem is I'm torn between wanting to get it and not feeling like the team is anywhere near ready for promotion.

Current lineup is:

GK Scott Loach

RB Kelvin Wilson

LB Peter Murphy

CB Alexis

CB Luke Chambers

DMC Guy Moussi

MC Chris Cohen

MC Lewis McGugan

AML Freddie Ljundberg

AMR Paul Anderson

SC Sebastien Abreu

Subs:

Julian Bennett

Seyfo Soley

Jack Collison (loan)

Nauzet Aleman

John Fleck (loan)

Joe Garner is also sarting to get odd games and there is an honourable mention for Aaron Davies who always sems to do quite well when called upon.

Managed to get promoted first time of asking. Beat Sheff Utd in Playoff semi's 3-2 on agg and then beat Birmingham 2-0 in final. Tyson scored 18 and Henri Anier with 17.

Started the prem, bought Segundo Castillo (DM), Abubakari Yakubu(DRC), Julien Quercia (AMR/FC), Amr Zaki(SC), Bartholomew Ogbeche(AMRL/FC), Samuel(DC), Ronaldo(SC) and Rossato(DL/WBL/AML) for a combined £10.75m and got Juha Hakola(AMR), Danny Sturridge(SC), Geoffrey Dernis(AMLC), Ross Wallace(DL/WBL/AML), Glauber(DC) all for free. Also Erwin Mulder on loan from Feyenoord since i ran ou of unds to get David Marshall from Norwich.

Was also unable to get Zayette from Hull due to funds. Vagner Love wanted to join but couldnt get a work permit and also D'Alessandro accepted only for the board to cancel due to failing a medical (he went to sunderland a week later).

I got rid of alot of players also to help with the funds and also keep the wages in check. I've played 4 prem games, losing 3 and winning 1. Going to be tough until the Jan Window. Can see a relegation happening if i'm honest.

Think I've finally got my tactics sorted, thanks to the TT&F guide. Also mangaed to strengthen my squad with some good players:

Fredrik Ljundberg. AM RL. Lots of people have recommended him and at 14k he is a brilliant bargain. Despite scoring only 2 and creating 2 assists in 24 games the number of plays he's been involved in to create goals is staggering.

Shelton Martis: D RC. 45k from West Brom. Despite the fact he had good stats i was concerned he was not better than my existing players. How wrong i was. 25 games, 2 goals 2 assists and 4 MoM awards. At 26 he's still got a lot of years left in him.

Chris Killen: ST is the weakest player i've signed. at 220k from celtic he was my most expensive sigining. played 22 scored 7, 2 assists and 1 MoM he's Avg ratings pretty poor, but i'm still happy i've signed him as you really need another striker what with Earnshaw's consistent lack of goals. probably better strikers out there though.

Existing players that are doing well are Smith, Moussi, Cohen with Arron Davies a good back-up winger (played 6, 2 assist, avg rating 7.00).

Other players are holding their own, but would ideally need replacing.

I found David Connolly, from Sunderland, has been a excellent loan signing for me indeed. Single handedly won 3 matches for me, scoring the only goal. He's short like Earnshaw so having both together same time on the pitch is maybe not so great but he's a sharpshooter.

I managed to get Forest promoted through the playoffs at first time of asking.

I played a 4-1-1-2-2 formation that worked well

GK - Smith

RB - Stephen Carr - (on a free and good)

LB - Bennett

CD - Wilson/Chambers

CD - Glauber (season loan from Man City)

DM - Alexey Smertin (on a free and alright)

CM - Cohen - as pushing up and scored/assisted loads, best player

AMR - Anderson/McCleary (I only started playing McCleary in Feb due to injuries and was superb)

AML - Martin/Anderson

S - Earnshaw - ok, scored about 14 goals Garner - good scored 12 in 22

S - Killan - ok, scored 12 goals and about 3 MOM/

In Jan signed Deigo Tristian from West Ham on loan and was awesome and scored about 15 goals in 20 games!!!!! Get him!

Avoid - Robbie Fowler - paid nothing from him from Rovers and scored 3 in 25. Merida - loan from Arsenal - useless

IN prem now and REALLY struggling!

Bought almost a new team and rock bottom after 12 games with 2 points.

Got some great players too.

GK - Bogdan Lobont - £5m

DR - Ryan Taylor - free

LB - Djimi Traore - free

CB - Jay DeMerit - Free

CB - Glauber - free

DM - Amaury Bischoff - free

CM - Darron Gibson (season loan from Man Utd)

AMR - Giles Barnes - 400k

AML - Charlie Adam - £1.8m / Ross Wallace - free

S - Shola Ameobi - free

S - Daniel Sturridge - free

Also brought in - Kelvin Etuhu - loan from Man City, Alan Gow - £550k, Dean Furman - loan, and some guy from Real Madrid that can play in CM/DM that is good, but you have to run Spanish leagues to find him.

Leaked about 2.5 goals a game and scored about 7 goals.

Kept most of the team as back up for the positions and sold Cohen for £3m to Hull as he was in last year of contract and wanted a bigger move.

Sturridge is poor, losing to all the big 4 and also most others. Just can't win. Even though I am creating chances. Going down for certain, and know with this team I can bounce straight back up but going to need some good players to stay up. Lets hope I don't get the sack!

Any tips to stay up gratefully needed!

Sturridge is poor, losing to all the big 4 and also most others. Just can't win. Even though I am creating chances. Going down for certain, and know with this team I can bounce straight back up but going to need some good players to stay up. Lets hope I don't get the sack!

Any tips to stay up gratefully needed!

I signed Sturridge when I was promoted to the Premiership in my first season. He got better as the season went on and scored 9 goals from 33 league appearances. I found he played better coming off the bench, so I started using him as an impact substitute. You will probably need to sign another striker or two though.

Don't worry too much, I started poorly as well but the side performed much better as the season went on. Its just important that you pick up victories against the other sides struggling, e.g. the other teams promoted with you.

I had trouble in first season then suddenly like the Forest we know and love after Christmas I got better and to my surprise and pleasure we were promoted via the playoffs ....Second season was even harder but managed to secure my future in the premiership on the last day....Keep Bennett,Moussi and Cohen. Get a better GK and strike force. Got Falcao fairly cheap up front but like most brazilians took about 6 months to settle and Obasi (2.5m) from Hoffein(fc) (my assistant for some reason recommended him to the press for player of the year so I thought why not). But rememeber the words of Clough and get a very good defender as well.....

Thanks for the info and player tips everyone.

A little update - now in feb and up to 17th on goal difference with 16 points.

Sturridge has improved and currently scored 11 in 26 games (4 of those were against Middlesborough in my first away win of the season!) In the January transfer window I signed De La Pena on a free, Lautaro Acosta for £2m and Wason Renteria for £1.2m.

Matt SFC is right, picking up victories against fellow strugglers in key. Stoke and Sheffield Utd are the bottom 2 on 6 & 7 points, beat both.

I've just finnished my first season in the Championship - Position: 11th, Won: 19, Drew: 11, Lost: 16 & got 68 points (7 points away from playoffs)

Hopefully next season we can push for the playoffs :) - Good luck fellow reds!

PS: Calderwood Out! :p

Ok info on the new game:)

Transfers In:

Radja Nainggolan 150K

Mickael Pote 35K

Ben Chorley 50K

Lewis Mcgugan and Lee martin are currently out with injurys. My formation(considering the injurys i have) is a 4-3-3 Defensive

My team is as follows

GK:Smith

DL:Bennett

DC:Chorley DC:Chambers

DR:Wilson

DMC:Moussi DMC:Perch

MC:Cohen

AML:Nainggolan

AMR:Mcleary

SC:Earnshaw

In The Championship after 4 games i'm 15th. Won 1 Drawn 1 and lost 2 (4 points) In Carling Cup I beat Morecambe in the first round but lost to Hull in the second 2-1. The board currently think that i could do slightly better. Currently got 37K for transfers and havn't sold anyone(I've been trying to sell Matt Thornhill though)

Archived