FM10 - Official Gateshead Thread - We're going Pro!

SeanH91

Welcome to the Football Manager 2010 Thread of

Gateshead FC

We're Going Pro!

600px-gateshead_fc_svg.png?w=300&h=300

General Introduction & History

Gateshead F.C. are a football team based in Gateshead, England, who will play in the Conference National for the 2009-10 season. The club was reformed in 1977, after the original club, which was a member of the Football League from 1930 to 1960 collapsed in 1973. The club is chaired by Graham Wood, a millionaire who supported the original Gateshead A.F.C. and attended games at their Redheugh Park home. In May 2007 Ian Bogie was appointed as Manager, his assistant being former Preston North End and Newcastle United team mate, as well as former Gateshead Captain, Jeff Wrightson.

Possibly the most famous player to play for the club was Newcastle United legend Hughie Gallagher. The pint sized Scot signed for Gateshead for a modest £500 in the twilight of his free-scoring career. Gallagher spent just one year at Gateshead, after spells with Newcastle, Chelsea, Derby, Notts County and Grimsby. In his short stay on Tyneside, Hughie played 34 games for Gateshead, scoring 18 goals. He retired straight after leaving his home town club.

The Tynesiders currently play their home games at the International Stadium. However, the board's intention to move to a new stadium took a step forward in December 2008. Chairman Graham Wood was interviewed in a local newspaper outlining the club were very close to purchasing the land to build a new stadium on. A fee has been agreed and when the contract has been signed, planning and funding will get under way with a target completion date of the 2011-2012 season.

Gateshead finished the 2008-09 season in second place in the Conference North, qualifying for the playoffs along with Alfreton Town, A.F.C. Telford United and their semi-final opponents Southport. After defeating Southport 2-1 on aggregate, Gateshead beat ten-man A.F.C. Telford United 1-0 in the final to win promotion to the Conference National.

The club announced on October 13, 2009 that they will be moving to a full-time employed playing squad for the beginning of the 2010-2011 season.

Football Manager Information

Nation - England

Year Founded - 1977

Status - Semi-Professional

Reputation - Local

Chairman Status - Loves the club

Legends – Paul Thompson

Icons – James Curtis, Derek Bell

Favoured Personnel – David Southern, Phil Cave, Kris Gate, Steve Salvin

Fierce Rivals - Blyth Spartans

Other Rivals - None

Finances - Pkay

Average Ticket Price - £12

Average Season Ticket Price - £245

Season Ticket Holders - 154

Estimated Value - £160k

Media Prediction - 21st

Stadium - The International Stadium (Gateshead, 11795 all seater)

Training Facilities - Adequate training facilities

Youth Facilities - Basic youth facilities

Expections - Attempt to Avoid Relegation, Avoid Relegation, Mid-Table Finish

Transfer Budget - £16k for Attempt to Avoid Relegation, £16k for Avoid Relegation, £18k for Mid-Table Finish (You can get £24k for Winner if you're ambitious)

Wage Budget - £9k (£8.75k being spent)

Squad

Goalkeepers

Paul Farman

Jim Provett

Full Backs

Craig Baxter

Phil Cave

Mark Robinson

Centre Backs

Stephane Pelonde

James Curtis

Carl Jones

Chris Swailes

Central Midfielders

Kris Gate

Neale McDermott

Phil Turnbull

Alex Francis

Wingers

Christoph Ascherl

Martin Brittain

Jamie Harwood

Wayne Phillips

Strikers

Graeme Armstrong

Darren Forsyth

Michael Mackay (On loan from Hartlepool)

Armand One

Squad Analysis

To be honest, even though the media are predicting Gateshead to struggle, I think the squad is talented enough to finish at least in mid-table. You will definitely need to bring in a goalkeeper as Jim Provett is only established keeper in the squad. I recommend looking at Robert Beckwith (Free), Scott Tynan (Free) or Russell Saunders (Loan).

The defense has decent cover across the whole back four, but I'd possibly look into bringing in a versatile defender who can cover the whole defense. Somebody like Matt Day (Free), Patrick Collins (Free) or Luke Duffy (Free) would do a decent job.

In midfield you have enough good players and some decent cover. Perhaps the weak spot here is a central partner for Kris Gate. McDermott is currently the best you have here, but you could do better. Jonny Rowell (Loan) or George Clegg (Free) might be worth a shout.

Out wide you could do with some cover for Phillips on the left, and maybe someone who can play on either wing for some extra cover. On the right I believe we have 2 very good wingers in Harwood and Brittain. Possible targets for here could include Sean Doherty (Free), Luke Prince (Free) and Tommy Black (Free).

Up front is arguably the strongest position in the team. Mackay and One should be first choice, and both are contenders for best in the league. Back up wise you have Forsyth and Armstrong, who could both do a job if needed. No strengthening required here, although if you have spare funds you could try bring in a promising youngster if you can find one.

Recommended Formation and Lineup

I recommend keeping it simple and playing 4-4-2. I'm playing a rigid, direct flat 4-4-2. From the starting squad here's the best lineup:

GK: Provett

DR: Baxter

DL: Robinson

DC: Curtis

DC: Swailes

MR: Brittain

ML: Phillips

MC: Gate

MC: McDermott

ST: Mackay

ST: One

So there we have it, this years Gateshead thread. I hope anybody out there managing the Tynesiders will post in here, and make it as popular as last years thread. Now go and get Gateshead up where they belong. Good luck!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody playing as Gateshead?

Personally I'm playing as bigger teams for the demo, but will definitely be starting a career game with Gateshead on the full game. From what I've played with them on the demo (mainly for the purpose of info for this thread) it seems anybody can beat anybody in this league. Some games you win 4-0, the next you lose 3-0 and so on.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started a game with Gateshead, at the end of July making signings. Followed the original post to sign Beckwith, Rowell and Doherty.

But there's another player, Patrick Collins who seems very good.

I've also managed to get Darren Lough and Wesley Ngo Baheng on loan from Newcastle for the whole season.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started a new game as manager of the 'heed and it's looking like a daunting challenge, scant funds for players or wages, threadbare staffing, distinctly iffy squad. I've been told the expectation is for me to battle bravely against relegation.

We'll see about that!

A month or so in and I've won most of my friendlies handsomely after signing a raft of free transfers and loans and shipping out a few. To my mind the only players worth keeping in the first team are Kris Gate (my captain), Chris Swailes and Wayne Phillips, the rest are squad material only and have been replaced by new signings.

I'm playing a standard 442 and I'm hopeful of pushing for the play-offs or at least finishing top half. Keep your fingers crossed for me, I might need all the luck I can get.

BTW I also signed Darren Lough, but got Callum Morris since Baheng turned me down.

Anybody playing as Gateshead?

Personally I'm playing as bigger teams for the demo, but will definitely be starting a career game with Gateshead on the full game. From what I've played with them on the demo (mainly for the purpose of info for this thread) it seems anybody can beat anybody in this league. Some games you win 4-0, the next you lose 3-0 and so on.

I have just finished my first season with Gateshead. I finished 4th in the league and lost in the Play off Semi's 3-3 on away goals against Cambridge. I was top with 12 games to go but went on an awful run losing 9 of the final 12 and 7 in a row!!!

First signing was Scott Sellars as an assistant manager, seems to be doing a good job.

I got through the 1st season bringing Scott Tynan in on a free and i set a link up with Newcastle and brought in Tavernier & Shane Ferguson for the full season and finally managed to get Baheng for 2 months. Baheng signed for Morecambe for 7K in January and thats when i started to lose my grip.

In pre season now and looking to bring in a boat load of new players.

Mixed start to the season, took a few games for my newly formed side to gel. Lost two out of the first three, one of which had my holding midfielder sent off after 20 minutes, the other being away to Luton, certainties for the title.

My team has started to play now with some good wins home and away including a fantastic recovery from 2-0 down at half-time to beat Cambridge away 3-2.

It's looking good for at least mid-table, if not pushing for a play-off place. Currently 7th after 8 games. Transfer window has just closed.

3rd after 20 games, it's going really well. My squad is too big at 28 since there's no reserve or U-18 league. I've got good back-ups in every position but left-back.

My late signing of Romano Sion has been a real boon and alongside Armand One they've bagged 20 goals already.

Coming up to December and I'm thinking about the transfer window and some new loan and free transfer signings to aid my push towards the play-offs.

I'm hoping it doesn't all fall apart at this stage but still confident in my team.

If anyone need some inspiration for a Gateshead save, this is mine so far:

Currently in 2025 - Won the FA Cup twice, Europa League once - Working towards my first PL title as we speak :)

I have a 27k big stadium named after "legend" - Phil Thompson (Thompson Arena)

My current team is a young team, got 4-5 players under 20 in the starting lineup and im financially secure (25m Euros in bank) after heavy investments!

Enough talk!

Here is a little screenshot (there is so much to screenshot, but I guess this is alright)

540507.jpeg

PS! Im also managing Egypt, working towards the World Cup :D

After a long hard season in the Conference I managed against all hope to be promoted via the playoffs. Histon started a late surge and ended up usurping Luton for the title. I played Luton in the play-off final fully expecting to lose and ended up winning 2-0. What a time to get a fluke result I thought.

Only now I'm in the 2nd division my weak squad (after extensive transfer activity) is being exposed. I'm 18th after 8 games and a relegation battle is looming I can feel it.

Still if I can avoid relegation and then consolidate it's not so bad, it's been a whirlwind year for Gateshead and consolidation is nothing to fear.

Oh and we turned professional as well.

Got Sibierski on a free, my star player by a mile. I'm playing him as a Trequartista, with mixed success.

8th Pld 15 Won 8 Drn 1 Lost 6 For 22 Ag 18 G.D. +4 Pts 25

Things are looking up for my hastily assembled ragbag of veterans and kids. Before the transfer window slammed shut I managed to get in that old utility man Steve Watson to play centre back and he seems to have been a catalyst to some kind of form.

My team is starting to gel now and although I've almost as many defeats as wins I feel things are certainly looking up. Of course the miniscule transfer budget and wage budget are going to be a problem if I'm looking to get out of this league but after a couple of consolidation seasons and some good transfer dealings I've no doubt I can start to push for promotion. Of course this is for the future and remains to be seen. I'm simply happy to be competitive at this level for the moment.

I've basically got a completely new team and since being fully professional I've brought in some new coaches and set up proper regimes. Despite entering the reserve and u18 leagues I've no reserves yet and my u18s are atrocious.

With my current squad I reckon top half would be a great finish, after a few wins I feel I'm in a slightly false position but who can tell?

Right, after a few false starts, I feel with the rest of the week off work, I'm finally ready to start a long term game with the Heed. Just loading up the new game now, will give an update after a couple of games.

Wish me luck! :D

Played 5 games and so far so good. Sitting in 8th with 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss. We are joint top scorers in the league with 12, but have shipped in too many (7) goals, although 3 of those were in a 3-3 draw with Histon in the first match.

I have made a few signings which were Matthew Judge and Martin Reed on frees, and brought in Matthew Dolan from Boro on loan. I've also got bids in for Shane Ferguson on loan and Stefan Moore (ex Aston Villa and Luke Moore's brother) on a free.

Just a quick update, sitting 3rd in the league with roughly 50 points. We are 8 points off 2nd however, and only 3 points separates us from 8th. We're top scorers in the league by about 8 goals, with Mackay leading the charts with 20.

Sorry not very big but not on FM atm so can't remember exact number or anything :D

Well after an exciting season where I threatened to reach the play-offs I eventually settled into a more sensible 10th place. I'm afraid I rather folded when the pressure started to bite, drawing and losing games I should really have won, but then two promotions in consecutive seasons would have been a bit much to expect.

So now starting my second season in League 2, I've acquired many more veterans including Darren Moore, Matt Holland and James Scowcroft. Luckily my board have loosened the purse strings ever so slightly to enable me to offer them reasonable contracts.

I've been setting up money making friendlies pre-season and have just won my first match 4-1 at home to Histon.

I'm playing 442 with Sibierski in the hole, Holland deep. I'm aware that if I want to do better than last season I need to play a more direct game and chiefly get more crosses in box since most of my strikers have no pace and are better in the air. I am disappointed I didn't push on last season but this season I really need to be challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started my usual Gateshead save.

After 18 league games i am 3rd in the league with 34 points but i am 11 points behind runaway leaders Histon.

I have managed to get Newcastle as my parent club and only brung in Baheng on season long loan at he minute but i will probably try to get Callum Morris, Matthew Grive in January as i am leaking goals in big style.

I have brought in loads of free transfers and as a result of that i am £2.5k over my wage budget and i am finding it hard to sell players. The only players i have been able to sell are Wayne Phillips for £18k, Kris Gate for £24k and three other players for free.

Willy Top has been a goal machine he was a free he has 14 goals in 19 games.

Patrick Vaz has also been a good free.

I will do a update at the end of the season with some screenshots.

Well i finished 5th at the end of the season after i started well but started to lose and draw games towards the end of the season. I got loads of injuries as well i was lucky to get 11 players to play at one point.

I won the playoffs beating Cambridge in the semis 1-0 at home and a 1-1 draw away in the second leg and beat York 4-1 in the final.

My star players were

Willy Topp 35 goals and 11 assists in 56 games.

James Curtis 24 goals in 56 games from my solid centre back.

Lloyd Kammeron 3 goals and 27 assists in 38 games.

From the transfer screenshot the two missing players are Patrick Vaz and Eric Farro both free transfers but wouldn't fit on the page.

2vsra6q.jpg

11hx8wg.jpg

33ek8de.jpg

Against the bookies odds at the start of the season and the media who predicted i would finish 24th place and last in League 2 i won the league although in the last 10 matches or so i made it a lot harder than it should of been. I just couldn't seem to win many games and was losing and drawing most of them with men getting sent off i think the squad just got bit to cocky in the end thinking they could just turn up and win the match.

The Gateshead board give me no money to spend and no extra wage budget to play with so the only thing i could do was free transfers or loans. Not many players were interested in coming to a newly promoted side whose manager thought would battle bravely against relegation so i didn't sign many free transfers so it had tobe done in the loan market. With Newcastle being my parent club the first port of call was to sign Ryan Donaldson and Haris Vuckic. Then i also signed Luca Tremolada from Man City and Fran Merida from Arsenal. So now i had to go into the foreign loan market which i had a lot of fun with filling my team with numerous loans mainly from France and Holland. All my loans were with Gateshead paying anything towards the wages. In the second transfer window i was able to sign Ben Tozer on a 3 month loan and he played well in his 9 matches at Gateshead.

I really need to sort out my Goalkeeping and Defence as 61 goals against for the champions of any league is just unacceptable. I tried three different keepers all not very good. The same with my defence i tried loads of different combinations of players and tactically instructions with nothing really working.

Scoring goals was no problem in most games with 115 goals in 46 matches a nice 2.5 goals per match ratio.

My star player was Ryan Donaldson who was awesome in my 4-3-2-1 as one of the AMC's he scored 32 goals and made 12 goals.

2cfty8.jpg

fyjrt1.jpg

vdn044.jpg

Still playing, sporadically though.

You seem to have started the new year with a vengeance. You're doing better than me and I thought I was doing well.

Sadly I couldn't really get anyone decent on loan, they all rejected me when I came up to Division 2. Local lads included.

Still in my second assault on division I'm doing well early doors, sitting pretty at the summit having played only nine games. Not sure I can sustain it though, my ageing squad is creaking in every department I'm afraid. Up front a chronic lack of pace mirrored at the back by an even greater paucity. I'm afraid I'm going for big names who are past it as opposed to doing some proper scouting for talent.

Half of my players are retiring at the end of season for heaven's sake, no wonder they're winding down and not giving me the consistant performances I need.

Still I'm going to give it this season, a big push hopefully to get me to the promised land of League 1. I've made a bit of money out of friendlies but sadly it's not going into the transfer coffers as far as I can see. So I'm going to drag my dad's army through the rest of the season or at least until January when I can have another scope around for some pace, fresh, young, vibrant blood. Mmmm.

I am very confused my first game in League 1 was against Oldham at home and i got hammered 3-1 then three days later i played Oldham at home in the first round of the league cup at home and i won 6-1 :confused:.

Sadly I couldn't really get anyone decent on loan, they all rejected me when I came up to Division 2. Local lads included.

Try getting Newcastle as a parent club and loan Donaldson and play him as a AMC he was amazing for me. Also try loaning playing from Holland and France thats were most of my loans came from.

alright boys! thought i would start a game with gateshead after reading this thread. Currently in my 2nd season with newcastle on another game but was getting bored lol, so wanted a different challenge.

Im glad i did, im only 6 games in but im loving it! Been playing the game since CM 01/02 so im vet at it but this version is the best by far.

My team:

GK: Robert Beckwith

DR: Michael Kay (Loan)

DL: Darren Lough (Loan)

DC: Patrick Collins

DC: James Curtis

AMR: Martin Brittain

AML: Wayne Phillips

MC: Alex Francis

MC: Damien Mozika

SC: Michael Mackay (Loan)

SC: Robert McCormick

Playing a 4-2-2-2 with 2 wingers (Using same tactic from my newcastle game)

So far league reads; P6 W6 F13 A3.

My team is playing brilliantly, could do with some backup for the left wing though, any suggestions? I can't get off this game :D got cambridge away now (bet I lose after posting this!)

My team is playing brilliantly, could do with some backup for the left wing though, any suggestions? I can't get off this game :D got cambridge away now (bet I lose after posting this!)

Patrick Vaz or Eric Faro both did a good job for me in the first season and are available on free transfers.

heh, weird to see people playing Gateshead.

I tried it myself at first with the demo but found it rather horrid. Terrible players and a inability to buy even slightly less bad players. Not as good as playing low leaguers in prior games; I used to love making a fictional 'Stanley United' (out of Vauxhall Motors usually) and dragging them up.

Whoever recommended Robert McCormick - thank you!! lol, think it was on a different thread. Mackay & McCormick have 39 between them, and im only in mid december now. Rinsed it today :D top by 9 points.

Only a couple more games and it's time to splash the remaining 7k i have left in my budget!!

Thanks for the winger tip mate, i managed to get nathan luscombe on loan from the mackems tho, there my parent club now, there helpin quite a bit

I have just had a incredible win a 3-0 win at home against Aston Villa in the FA cup quater finals i thought i would of got hammered but goals from on loan duo Merida and Dieye with a double :D:D:D.

I have also beaten Championship sides Watford and Southampton in my FA cup run.

iymp9k.jpg

Oh well thats my FA cup run over i got Man City in the Semis and got beat 3-0 but really it should of been a lot more they had 13 CCC and 30 shots in total with 21 on target compared to my 3 shots total with 2 on target and 1 CCC. I couldn't play my two loanee's from Man City and my top scorer was injured but even if he were fit and i could play my loanee's i would of still been destroyed :(.

I won promotion to the Championship after finishing 4th in League 1 after winning in the play offs.

Gateshead should of went up through automatic promotion with Notts County. But after the Man City game we only won 1 game out of the last 6 league fixtures. Yet again defending was my downfall we are scoring for fun but are letting sloppy goals in at the other end.

Again i had no money to spend so it was a few free transfers and loans galore again. Although in the second transfer window i managed to make £850k from the frees i had made at the start of the season. But nobody would sign for me that was better than i already had so maybe i might get some money to spend in the Championship.

1j4389.jpg

v3pzzp.jpg

2wlx6c4.jpg

j5hunt.jpg

col, cracking win mate :D I managed to get through to the 3rd round yesterday, beating wycombe 5-3!! (quality came, honestly didn't know who would win - McCormick bagging a hat-trick!) then beating bradford. Then, hoping for a nice draw away to one of the big teams i got bloody WBA :( lost 2-0 (or 3-0? can't remember now)

After that loss i lost 2 then drew in the league, my healthy 9 point gap, is ever decreasing - sort it out lads!!

Im in work now, finally, haven't been able to for the last 2 days and I'm thinking of staying in most the weekend to carry this game on. I tell you, FM is gonna save me a fortune lol.

I'll let you know tonight/tomorrow how the season ends. Any help on posting screenies? Otherwise I'll have to type everything out!

Also, any more tips on "those lower league players"? (The ones that perform fantastically, no matter what game you start ;-) )

Cheers lads, appreciate it

I'll let you know tonight/tomorrow how the season ends. Any help on posting screenies? Otherwise I'll have to type everything out!

How do I Post a Screenshot?

1. Ensure that any version of Football Manager is open

2. Go to the screen you want to show

3. Press 'Prt Sc', normally next to or near F12 on your keyboard

4. Open Paint, or a similar program

5. Paste the image by either pressing 'Ctrl + V' or going to edit, then paste.

6. Save the file as a JPEG

7. Upload the image to an image hosting site, such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack or Tinypic

8. Post the Direct URL onto this site

Also, any more tips on "those lower league players"? (The ones that perform fantastically, no matter what game you start ;-) )

Djuric Winklaar (free) a great MC that was in my first team until now in the Championship.

Willy Topp (free) a great goalscoring striker from blue square upto league 1.

Didier Caro (free) a solid left back

Llyod Kammeron (free) Another class MC who is brilliant at set pieces.

Uriel Trustfull (free) Quality RB good until league 1.

Robertino Rafaela (free) Good CB uuntil League 1.

Jardel (free) quality ST for 2 seasons ( former Bolton, Sporting, Porto)

Patrick Vaz (free) LW good for 2 seasons.

Eric Farro (free) LW competent at LB good for 2 seasons.

Romano Sion (free) Good targetman for 2 seasons.

Thats off the top of my head i have posted my transfers in the first season in a screenshot further up the page.

Hope this helps

Col :D.

Top tip Col, I replaced Darlington (or was it Hartlepool) as my feeder club with Newcastle and tout suite I managed to get not only Ryan Donaldson but also, a little later Fabio Zamlera. I've also followed your example in loaning players by the dozen and as it stands I'm looking very good for promotion to Division 1.

My old stagers were clearly trading on past glories and I've sidelined most of them in favour of my young blood loan signings. I must say after the static displays of old, this new fast flowing football is even bringing the fans in.

I don't want to get too carried away but after two thirds of the season the league is mine to throw away, let alone promotion.

Just coming into the January transfer window and i am in 6th place after a awful start to the league with only 1 win in the first 10 games i am on a unbeaten run of 24 games due to me changing to a 4-3-3. Hopefully i can keep up my form and stay in a play off spot come the end of the season. I have just found two brilliant young regens both American but both are yet to get a full cap so i doubt they will get a work permit but i will try anyway.

Top tip Col, I replaced Darlington (or was it Hartlepool) as my feeder club with Newcastle and tout suite I managed to get not only Ryan Donaldson but also, a little later Fabio Zamlera. I've also followed your example in loaning players by the dozen and as it stands I'm looking very good for promotion to Division 1.

much appreciated col - legend :D im about to get on it for a few hours, want the season done now lol, check those players out aswell

Glad i could help ;).

Hope you both get promoted ;).

Just coming into the January transfer window and i am in 6th place after a awful start to the league with only 1 win in the first 10 games i am on a unbeaten run of 24 games

I have just jinxed myself i lost the next game after that post :o .

col how on earth did you get vuckic and donaldson to come to you lol. I've tried for months to get anyone on loan in fact and they all reject me even though my scout says they're "extremely interested in joining on loan". Only player I've got so far is Aaron Spear on loan and thats 'cause newcy sent him to me as parent club lol.

I'm desparately short of numbers but I don't want to sign just anyone, I'm struggling so far, 3 played, 2 losses and 1 draw. Out of league cup to forest aswell. Time for a tactic change maybe?

col how on earth did you get vuckic and donaldson to come to you lol. I've tried for months to get anyone on loan in fact and they all reject me even though my scout says they're "extremely interested in joining on loan". Only player I've got so far is Aaron Spear on loan and thats 'cause newcy sent him to me as parent club lol.

They both came straight away with Newcastle being my parent club so i don't know why they won't come on your game :confused: . Try saying they will be stars and your in awe of them on the player interaction button maybe that might help.

Archived