FM10 Official Rotherham United Thread: Moving up in the world!

Craig_R.U.F.C

Rotherham United F.C 2010 Thread!

Rotherham_United_FC.png

Club Information

Name: Rotherham United F.C

Nation: England

Year Founded: 1884

Division: Coca-Cola League Two

Chairman status: Enjoying life at the club

Legends: Ronnie Moore

Icons: Alan Lee, Tony Towner, Mike Pollitt, Paul Hurst, Mark Robins, Steve Thompson, Matt Clarke, Chris Sedgwick, Shaun Goater, Nigel Jemson, Paul Warne, Chris Swailes.

Favoured personnel: Alan Crawford, Bobby Williamson, Martin McIntosh, Will Hoskins

Fierce Rivals: Sheffield wednesday, Chesterfield

Other Rivals: Sheffield United, Barnsley, Doncaster Rovers, Leeds

Media Prediction: 5th

Squad Personality: Determined

Finances

Finances: Okay

Average Ticket Price: £18.00

Average Season ticket Price: £320

Estimated Value: £1.9m

Balance: 521k

Money to spend: 50k

Wage budget left: 2.7k

Recent History

First Points Deduction - 2006/07

Rotherham United began their second successive year in League One with a 10-point deficit as a result of the CVA which saved the club from liquidation. At one point during the close season, the team had only seven full-time professionals on the books but Knill made a number of signings during this period to bolster the squad including former Liverpool winger Richie Partridge, ex-Premiership players Delroy Facey and Martin Woods, former Bayern Munich and Nottingham Forest star Eugen Bopp and many others who have played at a higher level.

On 16 September, after three wins and two draws in their first nine games, Rotherham gained their first point in the league. They moved off the bottom of the table on 14 October, and after a run of three successive victories they moved out of the relegation zone after a 5-1 win against Crewe Alexandra on 28 October. After winning every league game in October, Knill was awarded the Manager of the Month and Yorkshire Manager of the Year awards.

At the arrival of the January transfer window, Knill sold stars Lee Williamson and Will Hoskins to Premiership side Watford for a combined fee in the ranges of £1.2 million.Mark Robins but he was not able to save Rotherham from relegation. However, losing their two best players undoubtedly took its toll on the Millers, who sunk back to the bottom of the table after winning only one match in three months. By the end of February, the Millers sat 13 points adrift of safety, making the threat of relegation almost inevitable. This resulted in Knill being sacked on March 1, with becoming caretaker manager. Robins's position was made permanent on 6 April 2007,

Further Penalties - 2007/08

The Millers spent the majority of the 2007–08 season in the automatic promotion places, winning eight consecutive league matches towards the end of the year. However, in mid-March 2008 it was revealed that Rotherham had again entered administration and would be deducted 10 points. This was a accompanied by a drop in form and Rotherham finished ninth in the league. Towards the end of the season, it was revealed that local businessman Tony Stewart was to take over as Chairman and Club Owner, but was advised not to exit administration via a CVA, meaning an additional points deduction for the following season.

On 6 August, just three days before the start of the season, the Football League threatened to block Rotherham (as well as Bournemouth) from participating in League Two for the 2008-09 season, because the club had not yet exited administration or completed the process of transferring ownership. The Football League ruled that accepting the 17-point deduction would be a condition the team must obey to be eligible to play, which was accepted.

In addition, Rotherham United were forced to leave Millmoor, their home of over 100 years, after disputes with the landlords. Being further into debt, Rotherham also sold their training ground at Hooten Roberts and now train at Doncaster Rovers' Keepmoat Stadium renting out one of their pitches.

This led to further complications after the Football League demanded a £750,000 bond for the team to play outside of the Town's boundaries for a maximum of four years. The club must move back to Rotherham within this time period, or face losing their Football League share.

The 'New Era'

Under the new ownership of Tony Stewart Rotherham kicked off their first game of the 2008–09 season at the Don Valley stadium with a 1-0 win against Lincoln City.

Against the odds, the Millers had an impressive season under the new regime, quickly wiping out the point deficit and being in contention for a play-off place until very late in the season. Rotherham were also involved in two cup runs, reaching the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Northern Final, and the Carling cup last 16. This included victories over higher league opposition in the form of Wolverhampton Wanderers, Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday, Leicester City and Leeds United.

Despite losing top scorer Reuben Reid to West Bromwich Albion, Mark Robins kept the majority of the team together from the 2008/09 campaign. New additions to the squad include record breaking strike duo Tom Pope and Adam le Fondre, Nicky Law and young 'keeper Jamie Annerson. Millers legend Paul Warne also made his return to the club, as well as ex-premiership players, Andy Liddell and Kevin Ellison.

The millers continued their good run of form into the season, winning 3 of their first 4 games, before beating Derby County in the cup. The next week saw the millers close to completing another giant killing narrowly losing 4-3 to West Brom after extra time and being knocked out of the Football League Trophy at the hands of Huddersfield Town.

The Return of "The King"

The millers drew their first two matches under Thornber's charge and slipped to 3rd in the league, despite playing well and dominating both games. In contrast to Barnsley's capture of Mark Robins, Millers chairman Tony Stewart kept his cards close to his chest regarding the upcoming managerial appointment. A press conference was called for 10.30am Friday 25 September 2009 to confirm the return of Millers legend Ronnie Moore as Rotherham United manager. Jimmy Mullen, widely regarded as one of the greatest captains in the clubs history, was later confirmed as his assistant. The following day, Ronnie was unveiled to the millers faithful at the home game against Barnet, to a massive standing ovation. This inspired a 3-0 victory, which saw the South Yorkshire side dominate from start to finish, and concluded Steve Thornber's time at the helm.

Club Staff

Board Members

Chairman: Tony Stewart

Managing Director: Paul Douglas

Directors: Terry Stewart

Operations Director: Julie Hunt

Financial Director: Karen Thomas

Commercial Director: Steve Coakley

Media Officer: Mathew Young

Commercial sales: Mark Hitchens

Team Managment

Manager: Ronnie Moore

Assistant Manager: Jimmy Mullen

1st Team Coach: Steve Thornber

Goalkeeping Coach: Andy Dibble

Youth Team Manager: Tony Morton

Physio's: Ian Bailey & Dennis Circuit

Current Team

GK:

1. Andy Warrington

30. Jamie Annerson

LB:

3. Jamie Green

24. Andy Nicholas

CB:

5. Ian Sharps

6. Nick Fenton

12. Marc Joseph

26. David Haggerty

RB:

2. Dale Tonge

14. Mark Lynch

LM:

11. Stephen Brogan

15. Kevin Ellison

CM:

4. Danny Harrison

7. Michael Cummins

8. Jason Taylor

10. Nicky Law(Can be used as an RW too)

25. Pablo Mills(Can be used as a CB)

RM: (both can be used as ST's)

16. Paul Warne

29. Andy Liddell

ST:

9. Tom Pope

20. Ryan Taylor

22. Drewe Broughton

39. Adam Le Fondre

Recommended starting line-up

Warrington

Tonge - Fenton - sharps - Green

Liddell - Law - Mills - Brogan

Le Fondre - Pope

You could always change it and play Law on the RW and replace liddell with either J. Taylor or Harrison. Ellison can play as a back up for brogan or upfront most of the team is versatile.

The ones to look out for are Brogan, Green, Le Fondre, Law and Tonge all should get good. Ollie Banks from the U 18's could reach potential of Pablo Mills so i'd suggest you get Mills to tutor him he can become good.

Good luck with the Millers and lets hope you can bring them all the past success by taking them back to the Championship. :)

Here is a little update from what i have done so far.

Its been a good start to my fm10 career aswell as being my favourite team, Rotherham..

Signings: In.

I signed mostly loanee players such as Gauthier Mahoto from portsmouth, Ryan Shotton from Stoke, Chris Smalling from Fulham, Ryan Donaldson from Newcastle & Magnus Eikrem from Man Utd. Signed a couple on a free such as former Bolton full back James Sinclair who will act like a back up for Tonge. Lars Stubhaug who is former Everton keeper signed on a free aswell. And then the last freebie and signing of the summer was Willy Topp that is known to the Bradford City fans a couple of seasons ago to bolster my attacking options.

Signings: Out.

A fair few which i decided would not be good enough for league 2 despite league two sides signing them such as Marc Joseph, Michael Cummins & Marc Lynch all been signed up by Burton, Cheltenham and Notts County. Used my Feeder club Ilkeston to loan up 2 players called Austin Mitchell & Grant Darley. And then the last player to leave was striker Ryan Taylor who could turn out to be an amazing lower league player(league 2 or below) he had not to offer me if i was to reach Championship.

Formation

Using an 4-4-2 Diamond, I'd suggest you do the same it is really effective. You get the best out of Pablo Mills playing him as an DM, Law is brilliant at AM and can only get better. It's not the formation we play in real life but the tactics are similar and i'll explain those at a later date or i can upload the tactic if anyone wishes to use it.

Current progress

2 league games in and a cup match i am lying top of the league due to a +7 GD with 0 goals conceeded. The wins in the league came 3-0 at home to Accrington and an away win against Bournemouth which ended 4-0. 1-1 was the score after Extra time away to Derby in the League Cup 1st leg and i went onto winning it 5-4.

Overall this version of fm is alot better. As you can see the team is alot better and it deserves to be can't see it being too hard to get promotion anyway. I'll keep people updated and good luck to anyone else wishing to try us out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright there.

Sadly the demo tactic didn't work out much after this little update and i don't have the demo installed no more, I've got the game ready to be played tomorrow(or midnight) whenever updates out.

Not every player has an image disappointingly. And Alfie is still same as i believe as a researcher you can't edit new summer signings until the winter update? But i wouldn't say he is under-rated at all he has been upgraded since fm09 by a little and will probs be more effective then 09, Just got to wait and see when winter update is out.

Excellent opening post Craig R.U.F.C.

I am being Rotherham on mine, as I am also a Miller.

However, I have 'cheated'! Used editor to give the club £50M (I like us to get to Prem in 3 years and begin challenging the big boys! I can dream.) Also edited Alfie (Adam Le Fondre) to make him Premiership class (got to be done, best player in league 2 in real-life).

Finally got my game working now so hopefully it will stay working and I can take the mighty Millers to the top flight for the first time in our history.

RONNIE MOORE'S RED ARMY!

I'm Rotherham and have just been promoted. Fighting it out with Rochdale for 1st place with 2 games to go.

Glombard is awesome for me, banging them in left right and centre!

Good lad. I am only just due to start my first season after numerous problems with the game since Friday. :(

Please God, now I have done everything I possibly can to get it working, let it work!

It is a brilliant game if it works and I just wan to take the Millers to the Premiership!

Good lad. I am only just due to start my first season after numerous problems with the game since Friday. :(

Please God, now I have done everything I possibly can to get it working, let it work!

It is a brilliant game if it works and I just wan to take the Millers to the Premiership!

Fingers Crossed.

Let us know how you get on.

Good to see some fellow millers about!

I have started my game, no editor, what you see is what you get!! Pre season, looking well, finding Pablo Mills a rock in the centre midfield. Pope not as good as I thought ( bit like RL)

Looking forward to the first game of the season!

UTM

It hasn't crashed for me at all since I turned 3D match engine off, so I'm hopeful.

Won 6 out of 6 at start of season! Loving it. We have spent about £2m on players though, but Notts County have spent loads too.

Ellis - You could make it a little more realistic by putting balance to about 1.5m and 700kish to spend? Also Alfie could be edited but why to premier qual? maybe league 2 just up some of his Mental attributes nothing really needs upping on him, But you could edit laws and add better dribbling, concentration and passing or something but not too much.. Bit boring imho if you add 50m in thats why i don't edit.

But good luck with it!

Miller - Keep us updated please would like to see how people are doing :) Atm i am not rotherham but got a saved game so can play some whenever :) I'd suggest Milojevic(lw) Max noble(rw) Matt james(Man Utd, Loan) & maybe Stefanovic or Skertla for CB.. Doumbe for RB or Beardsley, Jason Talbot or Adam Eckersley for the lb place.

You'll probs know about all this already but from my experiance tho are amazing players and should do well for you no problem going up long as you get the tactic right tbh. :)

Yeah I know mate but I just like to get Rotherham to Prem asap.

If you think about it £50M is peanuts with the ground not been ours so needing a new one, and it will cost probably £10-£20M just to get us in Prem, maybe more. Then I actually want us to stay there and eventually go on to challenge for the big prizes!

I don't want it to be too realistic, I actually want Rotherham to challenge for things!

Well the season has begun!!

After a good pre season, winning 3 and drawing the other game, Accrington rolled into town. No signings made, missed out on my top 2 targets, we begun with a solid 2-0 victory. Le fondre and super sub Drewe Broughton getting the goals. Accrington never really challenged, playing 5 across the back, 1 up front.

Next up, a more difficult of a test, away to Hartlepool in the League Cup first round.

I will update after a few matches!

Well.... month one and a bit out of the way. What a struggle it has been.

Here are the results:

Hartlepool 1 - 0 RUFC ( league cup first round)

Bournemouth 0-0 RUFC

Grimsby Town 2-1 RUFC (mills)

RUFC 0-0 Rochdale

Macclesfield 0-0 RUFC

RUFC 0-1 Oldham Athletic ( JPT First Round)

RUFC 3-1 Chesterfield (pope, le fondre 2)

Goals clearly the problem, lots of chances created but to no reward. Sitting 9th in the table, 3 points off top spot. Signed David Prutton from Leeds on a free and also Willy Topp.

How is fellow Millers fans doing???

Thank you mate, I will definitely take a look at it if that all right!

This is the team I have in my starting line up:

warrington

Tonge sharps Fenton Nicholas

Law Mills Prutton Ellison

Pope Le Fondre

I am dominating every team, but cant score!!

Thank you mate, I will definitely take a look at it if that all right!

This is the team I have in my starting line up:

warrington

Tonge sharps Fenton Nicholas

Law Mills Prutton Ellison

Pope Le Fondre

I am dominating every team, but cant score!!

If you've got Willy Topp, you should be playing him. He was top scorer for me for the Millers in league 2 and league 1 and he is still banging them in season 3 in the championship.

Godwin Antwi is decent on a free

Also, get 4 players on season long loans from the Premiership and play them e.g, Matt James, Sam Hewson, Thomas Kupisz, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Chris Smalling from Fulham, George Friend and/or Mark Little from Wolves

Well since signing Willy Topp, its like I have a different team!

Played 8, won 8, shot to the top of the league by 4 points. Playing some great football, but my only gripe is that I always seem to concede!

Topp has 5 goals in 6 starts, while Le Fondre has 7 in 12. I have moved Nicky law into a central position, which has made a big difference.

Just beat Notts County 2-1 at home.

Just need to start keeping clean sheets!

I see you've changed your fortunes sorry i've not got back to you about that tactic! You still interested incase in the future? I'm just about to start a new game with them right now but added Roberts, Dibble(coach) and Rundle.

Here's an update on my Rotherham game. I have got us to the Premiership in 3 seasons.

SEASON ONE:

Players in:

Willy Topp - free

Godwin Antwi - free

Season long loans: Chris Smalling, Mark Little, George Friend, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

3 month loans: Matt James, Sam Hewson, Ryan Donaldson, Tomasz Kupisz, Oliver Norwood

Players out:

Mark Lynch - 22k

Marc Joseph - 10k

Danny Harrison, Jason Taylor, Dale Tonge, Andy Liddell - all free

Won League 2 by 13 points

Top scorer: Willy Topp (31 in 50 games)

Best XI: Warrington, Little, Sharps, Smalling, Friend, Warne, James, Mills, Brogan, Topp, Le Fondre

SEASON TWO

PLayers in:

Dorian Dervite - 240k

Calum Davenport - free

Cosmin Contra - free

George Boateng - free

Pablo Counago - free

Diego Tristan - free

Adel Taraabt - free

Jon Harley - free

Brynjar Gunnarsson - free

Gavin Williams - free

Rhys Taylor - free

Libor Sionko - free

Johannes Ertl - free

Lee Cox - free

Season long loan - Dwayne Samuels

3 month loans - Fred Sears, Patrick Van Aanholt, Richard Smallwood, Ryan Shotton, Josh Thompson

Players out:

Godwin Antwi - 400k (Preston)

ALF - 275k (Bradford)

Nicky law - 10k (Bradford)

Frees - Sharps, Warrington, Ellison, Fenton, Broughton, Nicholas, Cummins, Warne, Pablo, Jamie Green

Won League 1 by 6 points (101 pts total)

Top scorer: Willy Topp (42 goals in 49 apps)

Best XI: Rhys Taylor, Contra, Dervite, Davenport, Samuels, Sionko/Williams, Boateng/Gunnarsson, Taraabt, Brogan, Topp, Counago

SEASON THREE:

PLayers in:

Marek Suchy - 60k

Shane Long - free

Adam Lallana - free

Javer Chevanton - free

Igor Gabliondo - free

Khalifa Cisse - free

Keith Fahey - free

Matt James - free

Erik Nevland - free

Johan Oloffson (newgen) - 550k

Season long loans - Dwayne Samuels, Patrick Van Aanholt

3 month loans - Haris Vuckic, Gavin Hoyte, Jose Baxter

Players out:

Javier Chevanton - 1.3m (signed on a free, was totally useless, sold for massive profit)

Libor Sionko - 400k

Gavin Williams - 475 k

Pablo Counago - 300k

Lee Cox - 70 k

Frees - Tom Pope, Boateng, Gunnarsson, Tristan, Ertl, various youth team players

Won Championship by 9 points

Top scorers: Shane Long (28 goals in 41 apps), Willy Topp (27 goals in 35 apps)

Best XI: Taylor, Samuels, Dervite, Davenport/Suchy, Van Aanholt, Lallana, Cisse, Taraabt, Brogan/Gabliondo, Long, Topp

Top tips:

- sign Willy Topp

- the best Millers player is Brogan by miles. He can happily play in the Championship. Next best are probably Mills and Sharps.

- you can get such good players on free transfers at the end of each year, there is no point signing Rotherham players to long contracts

- don't panic and sign foreigners on bosmans in January unless they are exceptional - you will be able to get better players on frees from England from 1 June

- get as many helpful loan players as you can - you dont have to pay them any wages

Looks pretty good there jay, But how did you manage to get those signings in the 2nd season because most of them would'nt sign for me? Did you set your managerial rep to international if so then that will be why i set mine to automatic i love to build mine up.

I got into the 2nd season and didn't do too many big name signings only big name i can think of if Mifsud. I'll do a little update later on once i am on the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to see a official thread about Rotherham.

I am playing a game now as manager of Rotherham, my mate plays Notts. We both promoted to the CCL1 :)

I tried to do my best on the transfermarked for new players but as you all may know there is little budget and wages can't be to high. I did manage to get some great players.

I have to soft spots in my team left, GK and DR. Warrington is by far the worse keeper I have ever had :)

My mate is contracting talent after talent with Notts. He has millions to spent :)

Top players I bought in season one: Iwan Redan (dutch) scored ofer 40 goals and Nicolas Mitea (sold for 600k).

System I am playing: 3-2-3-1 Deep I think is it is. (3-5-2 with two DMC's)

Season two is about to start :)

• 1 month later...

Just started a couple of days ago. After 28 games I'm third, 2 points behind Notts Co, which I just beat away from home in my last game which made it 6 wins on a row, and 1 behind Bury. Everything quite close actually. Didn't have the best of luck with the draws of the cup competitions, only higher league opposition, 5 out of 6 away from home, but managed to reach 2nd round League Cup and 3rd round FA Cup, both of them to the liking of the board.

Got myself Bazarite, De Laet, Hanni and a Traore (from Nice I think) in on season-long loans and some free transfers, most of them experienced defenders like Rubiales, Mettomo and Ricksen. Only a few unwanted players left, even after offering them for free there isn't much interest :(

Should have a new GK, especially if I get promoted, since Warrington is just about ok at this level, but that's it. And quite worried about the impact Bazarite and to lesser extend Traore are having. They will probably be missed next season.

Playing basic 4-4-2, mentality and other settings depending on home or away and supposed strength of the opposition.

GK: Warrington

DL: Rubiales

DC: De Laet

DC: Mettomo

DR: Ricksen

ML: Brogan

MC: Mills

MC: Traore

MR: Bazarite

FC: Le Fondre

FC: Hanni

Pope gets his share of playing time as well, so do Sharps, Law and Green.

Welcome to the thread ChAoZ!

Sounds like you are doing very well indeed and not a bad side there few young ones along with experianced is what you need. Maybe you'll need to strengthen in defence though once you are promoted but i'm sure it wont be too hard. Money coming in next season wont be too bad either as you'll average 7/8k if you are doing well sometimes get 10k depending on rival or big games so make sure you still make the wages low to bring in the money available to push on proper if/when you get into the championship. On the 10.2 patch i managed to get my balance to 5m into the 3rd season in League 1(4 seasons in).

Never heard of the RB & Hanni, can i have screenshots of them please?

Hows everyone else doing with them, anyone else still playing? I'm waiting until the new patch is out should be alot better.

Id suggest everyone to play as rotherham on the 10.3 patch when its out ;) Be alot more fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I'm new to this and have just started a save with Rotherham. I am 17 games into first season and currently in 2nd place in league 2, if i can remember how i will post screenies when i get home from work showing changes to squad, but from what i can remember i got in mitea (free) and sergi (28k compensation), there is at least 1/2 others either on loan or very cheap as not much made available in the way of transfers/wage budgets.

if i can work out how to do screenies i will post some. As an update i won league 2 with 102pts and am now 14 games into 2nd season and currently 3rd in the table, just hope to finish in the top half this season and build for the future.

• 7 months later...

Archived